Chapter 10: Encountering

A Different Perspective

With the date rapidly approaching, Joohyun could feel her stress levels rising.  Feeling self conscious, she had started visiting the gym regularly, even though she usually preferred to avoid crowds and just improvise at home. But she wanted results fast, so she was finally giving all their fancy new equipment a chance. Lost in the music from her headphones at one of the leg machines, a face suddenly appeared upside down from behind her.  Startling inadvertently, it took her a few seconds to realize it was Hani.  Being keenly aware that she was actually playing EXID’s Street album, she blushed and awkwardly fumbled for the pause button before taking off her headphones.  In the meantime, Hani had moved around and crouched down next to her. 

 

“Sorry, Joohyun Unnie, didn’t mean to startle you!” she said with a laughing smile.  “I don’t see you here much these days, so I had to stop over, especially after our talk the other day.” Looking both ways, she gave Joohyun a knowing nod.  “So it’s finally happening.. Are you ready? It’s going to be different for us single women, but our relationship status doesn’t define us, so it will be good for them to hear us speak out in support.” Hani said confidently. “I mean, assuming you are still single of course?” she added with a sly wink.  

 

Joohyun blushed brightly, wondering briefly whether having a date scheduled in any way changed that. Realizing that was ridiculous, she responded: “Why yes, haha, why wouldn’t I be? I mean not that I couldn’t not be..”   Hani’s smug knowing expression suddenly made her defensive, and without thinking she blurted out: “I mean I have a date tomorr..” realizing she had said too much, she quickly covered and looked away. 

 

“Eyyy.. you go girl!” Hani said with a wink. “Teaches me to underestimate you, Baechu,” she added with a small bow.  Joohyun felt increasingly panicked and made a hush gesture. “I got you,”  Hani responded knowingly. “But maybe we can catch up later somewhere less crowded? I don’t want to say the wrong thing at our big event in a few days, you know,” she added.  

 

Joohyun nodded, still feeling a bit embarrassed.. “There are some collab rooms on the fourth floor here, we could meet there in half an hour?” she asked awkwardly. 

 

“Sounds good,” Hani said with a smile. “Talk later.. and get those thigh muscles..” she added with a smirk and a thumbs up, before heading over to the treadmill.

 

Joohyun shook her head. “Why is she always so direct.. I never say the right things around her,” she thought to herself in frustration. She had to admit it didn't really bother her, as Hani was really nice, but some days she wished she had half her confidence.   Also, she was somewhat annoyed that Hani insisted on calling her unnie even if she was only a few months younger.  But she sort of enjoyed it too, so she was quite conflicted.  Shaking her head, she put her headphones back on, unpaused the music, and blushed slightly realizing she was in the middle of Hani’s solo “Hello”. “How ironic,” she thought as she continued her workout, getting lost in the music interspersed with the occasional worries about that date.

 

Realizing she was a bit late, Joohyun finally made it to the collab room and looked in. She wished she had made some excuse not to do this, but Hani was hard to say no to.  At any rate, it was too late now.   She saw that Hani had made herself comfortable with her feet up on the couch and was busy watching something on her phone with AirPods in. Joohyun entered and cleared quietly to no effect. She then did it a second time, a bit louder, which finally got Hani’s attention. 

 

“Oh hey, Joohyun unnie, sit, sit!” Hani said, pulling her legs in and patting the couch.  Joohyun sat down awkwardly, feeling an urge to avoid Hani’s questioning gaze. “Sooo.. “ Hani started with a mischievous grin. “What is it you couldn’t tell me upstairs? Is this a bold new Irene?”   

 

Joohyun blushed and tried to come up with the right words. She trusted Hani, but unlike around Jennie she always felt a bit shy around her. Her personality was just so confident and larger than life.  It was how she wished she could be, but only really was around the other members, sometimes.  “Welll… it’s nothing that interesting..  just a first date..” Joohyun started hesitantly, feeling her cheeks getting even more flushed.

 

“I see.. “ Hani said, tilting her head and looking at Joohyun intently.   “Since it’s a date it has to be someone outside your group then,” she added with a laugh. Joohyun kept a straight face.  “And no offense, but where did you meet someone? the only place I ever see you is at the gym, and hardly there either!” Hani continued.  Joohyun tried to look indignant but couldn’t deny it.  With a sinking feeling, she realized she would have to explain more. 

 

“Okay.. I admit.. I got the date through.... an online app..” She said through gritted teeth, looking down on her hands in her lap and bracing mentally for the scorn. 

 

“Ooh, cool!” Hani responded enthusiastically, causing Joohyun to look over with a surprised expression.  “Yeah, I’ve used dating apps on my trips to other countries before. It’s actually a good way to meet local people to show you around and such, ” she continued. “And I can’t deny some of those who weren’t with EXiD fans may have even turned into dates..” she added with a sly wink.  

 

Joohyun blushed and looked away again. “How can she be so relaxed about this stuff..” she thought to herself in disbelief. She really needed some of that confidence. 

 

“But I have to say, doing it here in Seoul is pretty bold.  Even I haven’t done that.. what’s your secret?” Hani asked curiously. 

 

Joohyun hesitated a bit. “Okay, so I may have changed my name and used a disguised picture. I was just briefly feeling motivated but I honestly didn’t expect to get a response..” she continued. 

 

“Ahh I see.. well way to go anyway! So someone was too good to resist? She must have been quite something to get you out of your comfort zone!” Hani said with a laugh and playfully slapped Joohyun’s shoulder.  Joohyun gave her startled look,  but couldn’t help smiling a bit. 

 

“Well yes.. I admit she intrigued me.. “ Joohyun answered shyly. “She loves to travel and enjoys EDM.. she seemed confident and she had a cool look with blue hair so I swiped.. it was fun to imagine.. but I never expected her to respond.. ” she trailed off. 

 

“Haha, so she’s like me with blue hair?! I like her already!” Hani said laughingly with a mischievous expression. Joohyun inadvertently covered and suddenly felt embarrassed. “I am kidding, Baechu! You are too fun to fluster sometimes. I am sure she’s totally different.  But tell me more, I am intrigued too now…” Hani added with an expectant expression. 

 

Fighting the embarrassment, Joohyun continued.  “To be honest, I don’t know much more yet myself.. I guess she has some friends who run a restaurant with private rooms and a hidden entrance that we’re going to meet at in a few days.. I am pretty nervous about it, but it will be a good way to get over..” realizing she almost admitted her former feelings for Seulgi she quickly changed what she almost said: “.. my social anxiety..  And who knows, if our press conference goes well, maybe there can be a future in it too.. “ she finished confidently. 

 

“Wow, I am impressed,” Hani said sincerely, putting her hand on her heart.  “I feel bad for underestimating you now.. You are full of surprises; it’s no wonder you have so many admirers” she added playfully.   Joohyun covered her eyes with her hand shyly. 

 

“Oh stop it.. I am just finally doing what most of you do when you are still in school.. “ she responded coyly.  “And who knows how it will actually go.. I suspect I will make a fool out of myself and be counting the minutes until I am home again,” she added somberly. 

 

“Hey, none of that!” Hani exclaimed firmly.  “You will do great! And I can’t wait to hear all about it. Maybe the same time next week, if you actually come back to the gym again? I don’t want to see you falling back into old habits even if things don't work out. Deal?”

 

“Sure, sure..” Joohyun said hesitantly.  She wasn't sure she liked being told what to do, but Hani was right; if things went badly she would probably just hide in the dorm for a few weeks.     

 

“Okay, see you at the big event and then here next week then!” Hani said with a smile.  “I have to get going, but it's always great talking to you.. You’ve got this!” she added enthusiastically as she patted Joohyun’s shoulder supportively before heading out of the room.  Joohyun remained seated for a while to calm herself and absorb their conversation. She felt fortunate that this random encounter had made her feel far less fatalistic about the date.  “She really has a way with words,” she thought to herself,  before finally feeling ready to get up and get back to things.  The next few days would be something else for sure.