Kismet

FLASHES

JIWON

*flash*

I clicked my tongue. “Another paparazzi.” I mumbled and refrained myself from glaring as I shot my head backwards. Instead of an angry expression, a smile painted my lips as I saw the all-too-familiar face I've been longing to see.

"Jinhwan hyung!" I ran towards him and pulled him in a hug.

"You missed me that much?" The petite guy, whose hair looks like pink cotton candy, asked.

"Yup. Did you find me accidentally or were you stalking me?" I asked him with my right eyebrow raised.

"I asked your manager, of course." He laughed.

"That traitor. Anyway let's go grab a bite and catch up with each other's lives. I know you've missed me." I said as I draped my arm around his shoulders and we walked our way to a local chicken and beer place.

 

"Where are you staying?" I asked as we sat in a table after ordering.

"In a hotel, I'm planning to buy a condo unit here though." Hyung replied.

"You can look for one in the same building as mine." I suggested.

"You live in a condo now? What about your house?"

"My family lives there. I owned a place here because we usually shoot here." I explained.

"Do you have anyone special now?" Jinhwan hyung suddenly asked.

"Hm. Yes, but he's not mine yet." I responded after pausing for a moment.

"Woah, really? Why haven't you told me? What's the name?" Jinhwan hyung asked in bewilderment. I laughed.

"The thing is... I don't know his name." I answered reluctantly.

"What? So that's why you didn't tell me. Did you fall in love with some random dude by the street?" Jinhwan hyung joked. I pursed my lips.

"Actually... Yeah. It's not exactly love at first sight but I've been captivated. I know, I know it sounds weird, but I really can't forget him." I explained. I felt a little relieved when I saw the amused look on Jinhwan hyung's face, at least he doesn't oppose it.

"When did you two meet?" He asked.

"Joules' Jewelry's party last year. We didn't exactly meet. He was just there, taking a photo of me."

"So he was a photographer? And that's it? You just literally saw him?" Jinhwan hyung said as if it was the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard.

"Yeah." I silently responded and shrugged as I fiddled my fingers. I know Jinhwan hyung finds me crazy, and honestly, I consider myself as one too.

"Do you even remember his face?"

"I went to Mino hyung that night, I asked him to draw me a portrait of the guy I saw. He was able to illustrate the image I was describing, he even painted it even though I was only asking him to make a sketch. That way, I am able to remember him." I answered. Our orders arrived and the waitress asked for a signature, which I gave her.

"What do you feel for him? A guy you've only seen once." Hyung asked, chomping on his chicken. I sipped on my drink before answering.

"I miss him. A lot."

"Don't you think you've been bewitched? Who knows maybe he used a love potion or something." 

"I don't even know if you're joking or not."

"Am not. Anyway, sorry to change the topic but tomorrow is my schedule for the photoshoot. The rest is all vacant. I'll spend time with Junhoe and my family, of course, but I wanna spend time with you too. What’s your sched?" Jinhwan hyung asked.

"As far as I can remember I am only free tomorrow and on Saturday." I answered.

"Saturday just happens to be my last day in Seoul. We should hang out at that time."

After three more hours of spending time together, Jinhwan and I parted ways. Although he wanted to see the portrait of my mystery guy, I didn’t want to bother his quality time with his lover, so we both decided to just show it to him when we meet on Saturday. I could show it to him through SNS, but that won’t be fun.

 

And two days have passed, today is the photoshoot for Gleam Magazine. As soon as I reached the building, the staff greeted me and I nodded with a small smile in response. The elevator was empty, so only me, Jiyeon noona, and my personal stylist Sara Kim were inside it. I stared at my reflection and inspected my get up. An oversized white shirt with Mino hyung’s design on it, colored mostly red, green, and yellow, low-waist black slacks that tucked my shirt in, a khaki coat, white Nike shoes that were also customized by Mino hyung, and a Gucci belt along with a watch from Joules Jewelry and accessories I forgot where I got them. I'm pretty satisfied.

The elevator dinged and opened its doors. My reflection was slowly replaced with the dark side of the set and a bunch of people walking around. 

*flash*

I averted my sight onto where the light came from, and I saw Director Kim. I smiled and started walking towards her, until I saw something that made me halt from my steps. A very familiar face that I’ve only seen once personally, one that I thought was never a real existence and was just a mere product of my imagination... To satisfy myself, my longings, my cravings. Contrary to what I saw before, his lips are now moisturized with a glossy balm and his eyes are still focused on the camera, yet it doesn’t hold the same joy as when I first saw them. I was now able to see clearly what his hair color was: brown. A copper-like shade at it. His outfit screams poetic: a thick blue knitted cardigan, loosely tucked-in white shirt with a rectangular black & white print on the middle, dark gray slacks, black shoes, and silver accessories. I’m not exactly sure why I thought that’s poetic, but I get the vibes from him that he can talk about the mysteries of the universe and life, and I’ll be there, gladly willing to listen. 

“Oh! Jiwonie!” I heard Director Kim call me and finally—

Our eyes met.

My heart beats fast— I’m captivated. What’s your name? How should I call you? Are you real? Will I meet you again? If I blink my eyes, would you still be there once light comes to sight again? With so many questions going on in my mind, I smiled and took my steps toward them. 

“Hello, Director Kim. Have you been well?” I asked and the woman let out a laugh. Ah, seriously, it’s not even that long since we’ve last met, why did I ask that! Keep your calm, Kim Jiwon. You can’t mess up, not now.

“I’ve been well. I’m really thankful you accepted my request. Look at my nephew! He’s so delighted you’re here.” Director Kim placed her hands on the man’s shoulders and tapped it. Our eyes met again and I almost wanted to look away, feeling once again enchanted by him. Now that I see him better, I think he kind of resembles a quail, a cute one at that.

“It’s nice to meet you, I’m Kim Hanbin, I’ll be the main photographer and director for this photoshoot,” he greeted me with obvious enthusiasm and held out his hand. Receiving his hand, I introduced myself.

“I’m Kim Jiwon. It’s been a while since I’ve posed for a solo magazine cover, I’ll do my best today.” His hand felt warm but dry, and that reminded me, I did not put on any hand cream today. Suddenly feeling conscious, I took back my hand gently. 

“But don’t they require famous actors like you to pose for one?” The quail-looking man asked. 

“My company and I have talked about it and agreed to reject all cover-page offers,” I explained. He nodded and muttered, “Ah, I see.”

“Well then, I just dropped by to deliver my gratitude to you and to see my precious nephew’s smile,” Director Kim briefly pressed Hanbin’s face between her palms. The latter looked away, embarrassed. “I’ll be going now,” Director Kim continued and we bade her farewell as well. Once she was gone, I looked at Kim Hanbin once more and I was wondering what to say to him, but Sara came and asked me to check out the outfit I’ll be wearing. I simply smiled and nodded to Hanbin before following the woman.

I’ve acted out a variety of roles ranging from a happy-go-lucky college student to a cold and stern corporate boss. I’ve been more well-known with the latter vibes, so the theme for this photoshoot was elegant and serious, as if I could kill you just with my gaze.

Kim Hanbin would sometimes say comments or directions. Now that I think about it, his voice kind of sounds familiar, I just can’t figure it out. 

“Alright, that was great! Please change your outfit now, Jiwon-ssi. Everyone, please arrange the set now.” Kim Hanbin shouted. I walked towards the seat and table prepared for me where Jiyeon noona and Sara are. Noona handed me water and was about to dab my face with a towel but I shook my head because I did not really sweat. I looked at Sara who was already holding the next set of outfits I am going to wear, but someone called my attention.

“Jiwon-ssi?” I looked over to the voice that I've already been familiarized with. Ah, he’s still so pretty.

“Yes, what is it?” I went near him.

“Would you like to look at your shots?” Hanbin asked with a smile. Ah , my heart’s beating fast. I smiled and nodded as I leaned forward to view the photos.

The proximity between us made it hard for me to focus on what he’s showing me, I don’t really like looking at my photos anyway. 

“You have great expressions, I like it so much.” The man complimented me and brushed his hand on my ear lobe. I might’ve blushed, is he flirting with me? Before I can get funny thoughts, he quickly retracted his hand and looked away, flushed.

“I’m sorry, I have a trait of being too touchy.” 

“It’s alright.” I smiled at him to make him feel at ease. Since we’ve reached the last of the photos, I looked at Sara who was waiting for me and back at Hanbin again. “Uhm, I’ll go change my outfit now, Hanbin-nim.” I told him.

“Ah, yes, please do.” He smiled again shyly and nodded two separate times. Is he the epitome of cuteness?

I have only taken two steps forward yet I heard his voice call out my name again.

“Jiwon-ssi?” I suppressed my lips from smiling and looked back at him. 

“Yes?”

“I heard I’m younger than you.” He scratched his nape with a small folder he was holding, looking away. “You can lower the honorifics.” He met my eyes and smiled. I reciprocated the smile.

“Got it, Hanbin-ssi.” I raised my eyebrows and slightly moved my head to the right, signalling him I’ll go already. He raised his eyebrows as well and nodded in response. 

After half an hour, the indoor shoot finally ended and it was about time to go to the rooftop. It’s already night and in contrast to what I’ve worn a while ago which were more of a fashion-walk type, the outdoor outfit theme was flashier and more on an extravagant friday night party type with the reflective silver sequins on my coat. 

When I reached the rooftop, I didn’t notice it at first, but after taking a seat while waiting, I looked up and saw it.

“What the…” I blurted out. Jiyeon noona heard me and spoke.

“Ah, didn’t you know? The time and date of the shoot were based on an interview you had before, when you were asked about your monthly night sky-watching that your fans had noticed. You said it was beautiful, no stars are visible yet there is the full moon shining despite the dark clouds trying to eat it up. You said you didn’t want to be the moon, but you wanted to be a star that can outshine it. That’s why your outfit is like that.” The manager explained in excitement.

What the ?

Tonight is the 12th moon.