Soft Things

I Will Make You Only See Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina was peacefully eating her breakfast, with Dahyun and Chaeyoung preoccupied on preparing for their test and eating their meal at the same time.

 

“I won’t be using this when I help a cat get down the tree safely?” Chaeyoung complained as she tried to memorize the terminologies in the book.

 

Mina tried not to laugh at the two but they seemed so stressed and she found that entertaining. “Mina this isn’t funny!” Dahyun glared at her. Wow that’s new.

 

The duo continued memorizing while Mina enjoyed eating her delicious pancakes and silence. She was drinking her coffee when someone tapped her a little to strong that she sputtered some on Chaeyoung. “Ew, Mina!”

 

Mina was about to apologize when she heard a chuckle behind her. “Sorry, I think I startled Mina.”

 

It was Momo, with Sana. So they made up already. Mina guessed the rumor was true, they couldn’t stay mad at each other for more than a day. Sana carried a full tray, for the both of them. Momo was busy teasing Chaeyoung while Sana was waiting behind her. “Oh before I forget! Mina, Jeongyeon wants us to practice again later. She said we don’t have much time left.” She was right, they only have two days left and they didn’t have concrete plan yet. 

 

The morning passed faster than Mina thought. She couldn’t help but think about Dahyun’s outburst during breakfast. How can these things they do at school be useful anyway? Mina sighed and watched everyone doing their own thing from her room. She craved for a new book to read.

 

She mindlessly left her room and walked into the library. The real school library this time. She skimmed through the spines of the book from shelves to shelves. Mina reached the farthest corner only to see a familiar someone sitting on the floor, reading. “Get lost.”

 

Mina scoffed and remained unmoving. The girl looked up. “I hate repeati-” Nayeon was taken aback to see her. Mina couldn’t believe it, she chuckled bitterly and walked closer. “Am I not allowed here too?”

 

She picked the closest book near her and scanned its content covering her face. Mina couldn’t explain it herself but she was sure feeling feverish. She peeked down and saw Nayeon rolled her eyes and continued reading.

 

Nayeon was still a big question to Mina. She couldn’t understand the girl, not at all. People made her seem like a really scary person but Mina hadn’t seen it yet. She got this scary aura alright, but the way everyone feared her made Mina want to know who Im Nayeon really was.

 

“Are you trying to read me?” Mina was still staring at her, lost in her own thoughts. Nayeon frowned and stood abruptly. This jumped Mina out of her reverie. She noticed the book Nayeon was reading. Steinbeck. Mina never thought Nayeon was an Of Mice and Men type. “Nope. But the book you’re reading, I’ve read that.”

 

Mina watched Nayeon’s defensive stance slowly crumble. It actually crossed her mind that Nayeon liked reading when she heard that she had her own library that was off limits to everyone. Nayeon just ignored her comment and walked past her.

 

“Do you like soft things, Nayeon?” Mina smiled when she felt Nayeon stop. She turned around and held her laughs when she saw Nayeon face contorted in confusion.

 

“What?”

 

Mina didn’t have any rational explanation on why she was engaging a conversation with Nayeon or why she wanted her to stay with her so Mina could get the last word.

 

Mina walked towards Nayeon and stopped dangerously close. Nayeon’s scowl slowly turned into discomposure. Nayeon was never the type to get flustered but Mina didn’t know that. She leaned in and whispered, “Read the book, Nayeon.”

 

Nayeon stood frozen in between the shelves of books, on the farthest back of the library, perturbed by the newcomer who dared to breathe the same air as her. Nayeon composed herself and moved. The audacity of that Myoui.

 

Sure she was totally taken aback with her question, who wouldn’t? You can’t just ask someone if they like soft things in an isolated area like the library, right?! Nayeon was quite thankful that Mina hadn’t turned around when she said that because it made Nayeon’s face flame up for god knows what reason. Mina meant nothing harmless but Nayeon thought she did.

 

They met for the training like what Jeongyeon told them. Momo was in a good mood and was fairing well with her speed now. They were training at the most peaceful area in the school, the clearing right at the opening of the prohibited woods.

 

Momo was practicing to run again and tried stopping before she would hit the nearest tree. “Be careful, Momo, remember to not run past that damn tree.” Jeongyeon reminded her friend.

 

Jeongyeon was busy throwing a big boulder in the air like it was just some marble. Mina was amazed watching her throw the behemoth thing like it was so light. She throw the boulder on the side and the ground shook. Jeongyeon run towards Momo who tripped on her shoe laces. Mina heard Nayeon jeered. “Psh. Show off.”

 

They didn’t have an actual plan at all. Momo said their plan was to survive and try not to get eliminated or injured during the assessment. Mina couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “Just try not to get killed.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter