Orientation

I Will Make You Only See Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

1

Mina felt her mom shook her body in urgency. She rubbed her eyes and watched her pack some of Mina's clothes frantically. "Mina, get up. You need to escape now." Her mom gave her the bag then opened the windows of her room, grabbed some sheets then tied it as fast as she can. 

 

"Mom, what is going on?"

Mina's mother didn't answer her, after tying the blankets she threw it outside the window holding the edge. She ushered the young Mina on the windowsill, pushing her up, "I love you, please take care." Her mom started to cry.

 

She cried too. She hugged her mom tight. "Mom, I'm scared." Planting a soft kiss on her forehead, her mom whispered to her, "Someday, you'll understand why. Just trust Mommy, okay?" Confused but she nodded. She climbed down, her mom was holding the blanket.

 

Mina heard the door opened with a slam, a gun shot and the whirl of the wind as she fell down. She heard a gunshot again. This time, it's nearer. Her whole body ached, but she ran. She ran until her legs hurt, she ran. Mina stumbled down on the pavement, they didn't chase her. She knew something was trickling down her head a while ago but she ignored it. Her head started to spin, Mina touched her head and saw blood. Blood--

 

"Hey, you! Wake up!"

 

She felt someone kicked her side, Mina squinted her eyes, it was too bright. Her vision was still blurry but she knew this girl was mad. "What are you doing in my place? Back off!" The girl was probably a few years older. Like Mina, she wore tattered clothes and face was covered with grime and dirt.

 

"Are you deaf? I said ba-" Mina stared at the girl's eyes and whispered a repeated mantra into the girl's mind. "Get lost." Mina repeatedly relayed onto the other untouchable’s mind. The girl turned around and left the alley without saying a word. Suddenly her stomach grumbled. Mina sighed deeply. "Ah, I'm hungry."

 

Mina stretched her back and heard her bones complain after sleeping on the hard sidewalk the whole night. It’s time to look for her breakfast.

 

She looked for a convenience store to buy- no, "ask" for some food. Mina spotted one. She pushed the door and the chimes tinkled. The cashier greeted her.

 

Welp. That’s new. Usually MIna had to “talk” with the cashiers because they wouldn’t want a beggar much less as dingy as her to be inside their establishment. She grabbed different packs of instant food and various beverages. She laid armful of food on the counter and waited.

 

"That's a hundred an-" Mina stared at the cashier's eyes and delved into his deepest, darkest, unconscious mind. It was empty but yeah. The cashier hastily packed Mina's "groceries" and even gave her the receipt. "It's all on me. Thank you for coming."

Ah, like the old times. Mina ate the food in large bites. She emptied her soda and crumpled the can after. She threw it carelessly at the back, heard a faint thud and loud series of curses. "The is your problem kid?" Mina just wanted to survive this day unscathed.

 

Mina ignored them and walked faster, she started to run. But with them tailing her as she ran, it was quite impossible. "You can't get away from us this time, !"

 

Just like the old freaking times. Mina would get beaten again. One of the disadvantages of her powers was it couldn't help her fight in times like this. Mina turned to an alley only to see a dead end. Could this day get any worse?

 

"Look at this, a rat is trapped." The voice was close, Mina knew that but dared not to look back. She attempted to run, god knows where she was supposed to escape when she felt something hard hit her.

 

Mina fell down. Her back was aching, it was hurting. She received another hit on the head and Mina lost count after that. They scrambled and started to runaway when they heard sirens nearby and saw a black car pull up in the alley. She tried moving her limbs but she couldn't feel them.

 

Her vision was getting blurry when she saw a car pull up and a man in weird transparent pants walked towards her. "This is bad. Call the medical team, quick!" Mina heard the sirens a little louder now, but she was feeling sleepy. "Finally we found you. You have suffered enough, Mina."

 

Everything went black. Mina couldn't remember anything after that. Not even a dream appeared. Literally nothing. Mina scanned the room she was in. Walls were white, spacious room smelling like alcohol and ammonia, an IV drip and small girl with bobbed hair staring at her in wide eye. "Doc, she's awake!" The doctors arrived and Mina saw flashing light on her eyes. They were talking in medical jargon Mina couldn't comprehend. That's all she heard before she dozed off again.

 

Mina touched her head. It was so painful. She flinched as she tried to sit up. A voice interrupted her movements. "You stay in that bed. You're still recuperating." A woman sat on the chair beside her, holding her charts and was playing with her IV's roller clamp.

 

"I'm Sunmi." Mina nodded. She didn't care, she just wanted to escape. She looked for an opening but it seemed like she was staying in an isolated area. "I know what you're thinking, Mina. You're not leaving here."

 

 "You know me?" Sunmi smirked and left her. Just like that?

 

Mina spent another week in the same room until the doctor told her she was good to go. Great, now she could finally leave. "Please, Mina to her room." She was still wearing a hospital gown, Sunmi came in with a set of clothes. "Wear this so we can tour you around."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter