Prologue

Just a Little Sugar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun’s baking career started when he was seven years old. He’d been dropped off at his grandmother’s house bright and early on a Sunday morning, as his parents often did when they had to go on a couple of errands, and was quickly ushered inside by warm hands patting his soft, black hair. 

 

His grandmother’s house always smelled sweet, no matter the season. Little Baekhyun took a deep breath in. During the spring, the scent was delicate cookies filled with strawberry jam; during the summer, it was the key lime pie that made his mouth pucker just enough before it was softened by a sugary graham cracker crust and fresh whipped cream; during the fall, it was the warm smell of cinnamon that tickled his nose and throat; and during the winter, the sweetness in the air became a smooth chocolate, filling every nook and cranny of the house, until it seemed as though all that sweetness had made itself a permanent resident of her home year round. 

 

Maybe that was why Baekhyun loved visiting his grandmother’s house. Maybe it was because as soon as he walked through the door, whatever mouth-watering thing Baekhyun smelled was in his mouth in the next five seconds. 

 

On this particular day however, his grandmother had a new idea. 

 

“Granma do you have something Baekhyunnie can eat?” Baekhyun asked politely, expecting. He looked up at his grandmother with sparkling eyes and a shy, cheeky smile, his hands clasped behind him. 

 

“You’re a little early today, sweetie. But do you want to help me make something to eat?” she asked, already walking towards the sunlit kitchen as Baekhyun hurried his little steps to follow after her, excited at the thought of food.

 

“What can we make?” he asked in return, tapping his hands along the stools lined up at the kitchen island. 

 

“Should we bake some cookies to go with your lunch later?”

 

“Yes! Choco chip! Choco chip!”

 

His grandmother chuckled and began to instruct Baekhyun on what ingredients they would need and which bowls to take out of the cupboards; and after an hour of measuring, mixing, and baking, the cookies were done and cooling on a big tray.

 

When Baekhyun saw the cookies that he’d made—with his grandmother’s help—and ate them, he felt happy. The way his grandmother praised his cookies and pet his head when she tried them, and the way his parents smiled when they gave his creation a taste after coming back, made the little seven year old so filled with joy, he spent the whole day beaming. He wanted to make as many pe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter