Part 2

Can You Hear Me?

PART 2

 

"Hey sleepyhead wake up!" An enraged eunbi nudged the younger girl's shoulder to wake her up.

 

"Ugh unnie.. 5 more minutes!" Chaeyeon groaned with her eyes still closed while hugging the plastic figure beside her.

 

"YAH! WHAT'S WITH THIS MANNEQUIN THAT YOU CLING TO IT LIKE A KOALA? ITS NOT EVEN A PLUSHIE OR A PILLOW FOR GOD'S SAKE!" Eunbi massaged her temple in complete annoyance of her bestfriend's behavior.

 

"Huh? What are you talking about?" Chaeyeon finally squinted her eyes and rub it gently. And that's when she saw the mannequin beside her, her hands wrap around its waist. Her eyes widen in shock upon realizing what happened.

 

"So.. it was not a dream?" Chaeyeon thought.

 

Her thoughts were cut off when she heard the older girl's loud voice again.

 

"QUIT STARING AT THAT LIFELESS FIGURE AND GET UP NOW! YOU'LL BE LATE FOR SCHOOL! UGH," The older girl walks out of her room while shaking her head.

- ------------

Chaeyeon's presence where at the four corner of her classroom surrounded by her annoying classmates and their terror teacher in front of them, but her mind is flying elsewhere. She cant help but to be worried to her new friend who are now lifelessly staying in her room. What if Eunbi suddenly barged in her room and throw her out because she keeps on insisting that it is useless? And if that happen, what is she going to do outside? She will be scared of course. She was lightly tapping her table with her palm still drowned with her thoughts when she suddenly heard whispers inside her head. It was so loud that she cant stop it from invading her mind.

 

"Yah.. you two. Stop gossiping about me and listen to the lecture instead. I'm fine." She said in sternly without even looking at the duo behind her.

 

"Hey! I thought you promised not to use your abilities on us?" Yena stand up and walk towards Chaeyeon to face her.

 

"I cant help it okay? You two are so loud!" Chaeyeon rolled her eyes and cross her arms.

 

Yuri also stands up upon hearing what Chaeyeon said. "Where just whispering Unnie, whats wrong with you?"

 

"Ms. Choi and Ms. Jo go back to your seats!" Ms. Ahn's scary tone rang in the room reprimanding them.

 

"You heard our prof midgets. Now leave me alone."

 

"Were just concerned about you unnie and this is what we get? Ugh you're so mean!" Yena said while stomping her way back to her seat along with her bestfriend Yuri, the act that made Chaeyeon grin lightly.

---------

It was already 4 in the afternoon and they were just waiting for the final bell signaling the end of their class. Chaeyeon was stomping her feet impatiently while bitting her lips. She already packed her belongings so she can storm out of their room immediately. And when the bell started to rang, she sprinted her way towards the exit without even minding the stares of her group of friends.

 

"Whats wrong with Chaeyeon unnie?" Yuri ask Yena.

"I have no idea. How i wish i also have that ability to read minds! Chaeyeon unnie is acting strangely this days." Yena added.

"Hmm, so you can't read whats on my mind right now?" Yuri said mischievously.

"Wait.. i think i already know what you are thinking. So what's the plan?" 

----------

Eunbi got out from her office but was stucked on traffic on her way home due to heavy rain. She always arrive earlier than Chaeyeon because her workplace was near to their house. Upon entering their gate, she was welcomed by a cloud of smoke that was clearly coming from their house. She was alarmed and out of pure panic, she ran her way inside their house, not minding the danger that she will possibly encounter.

 

She continously cough while swaying her hands to her front somehow trying to get rid of the smoke that was blocking her way in. Upon reaching the kitchen, she saw a figure of a woman hiding behind the smoke. At first she thought that it was Chaeyeon but that would be impossible because she always arrive earlier than her. When the smoke gradually subsides, the girl suddenly turns around holding a tray on her hand, with something that looks like muffins but severely overcooked you cant actually figure out if its a food or not.

"Uhm.. Hi." The girl greeted her with an awkward smile.

"AHHH!!!!" And that was Eunbi, shouting with all her might.

"W-WHO ARE YOU? HOW DID YOU COME HERE?"

"Hey.. please dont be scared, I meant no harm. Im Hyewon, Chaeyeon's friend." The girl replied trying her best to assure the frantic Eunbi in front of her.

"Friend? I already met all of her friends but Im not familiar with you! Do you perhaps have an ulterior motive towards her? I just want you to know that whatever it is, it wont happen." Eunbi started pointing her finger towards the girl in a threathening manner.

"I dont have evil plans towards her. We just met yesterday thats why you dont know me. But im the mannequin that she brought here!"

"What? Thats insane!"

"But its the truth! And im saying this to you because you are Chaeyeon's friend. And humans trust their friends right?"

"Humans? W-wha.. okay lets say you're telling the truth. So whats your proof?"

"Wait uh," the girl put down the tray she was holding and out of the blue she pulled her shirt up to show her inner garments shes wearing. And as expected, Eunbi's reaction was priceless with agape and widen eyes. The latter immediately covered both of her eyes with her palms.

"WTF!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING? PULL YOUR SHIRT DOWN! UGH!"

"But you said you need proof! Im wearing this red bikinii ever since i became a mannequin. And you even saw me yesterday right?"

Chaeyeon suddenly arrived still catching her breath, maybe because she ran all the way to her house upon seeing the situation outside. Confusion mixed with concern is clearly written on her face when she saw Eunbi covering her face while the girl in front of her are tugging her shir awkwardly 

"Hey! Whats happening here?" Chaeyeon shouted alerting the two girls. Eunbi glared at her and pointed her finger at the shy Hyewon.

"ASK THAT FRIEND OF YOURS WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED! Ugh im outta here." Eunbi stormed out of the kitchen not minding her best friend's reaction. Chaeyeon just shrugged Eunbi's weird acts and shifted her attention at Hyewon who are now lowering her head.

"Hyewon? What happen?" Chaeyeon asked softly while walking closer to the shy girl and stopped just a few inches away from her. When she didnt receive any response, she lean closer and lifted her chin to look at her face. "Hey," she stared at her now glistening eyes, her tears are threatening to escape from those captivating brown orbs. Chaeyeon slightly giggled when she saw the dirt all over her face and tried to remove it by brushing both of her thumb on the areas where the dirt can be seen.

"She was dangerously so close to me, What to do? What to do? Oh my god, calm down my poor heart!" Hyewon bit her lower lip somehow trying to relax her nerves but to no avail. And Chaeyeon's warm breath that was lingering on her nose followed by her huge grin at her is really not helping.

"Yah! Stop reading my mind!" Hyewon playfully snapped Chaeyeon's hand that was on her face and pouted her lips.

"It was unintentional okay? I can't control it! And when did you learn to say that huh? Who taught you to say 'Yah' to me? Do you know that it is disrespectful?"

"Is that so? But I just heard it from your friend Eunbi! Sorry Chaeyeon."

Chaeyeon shook her head in disbelief. "Naah, nevermind. So, what's with all this dirt and this mess? Hmm? Are you baking something for me?"

Hyewon scratched her head while smiling shyly. "S-sorry Chaeyeon I think I ruined your kitchen. And yes I planned to bake cupcakes for you as what humans would call it but as you can see, I failed." Hyewon said downheartedly. She's upset because she knew that Chaeyeon must be angry with her right now, even her bestfriend feels the same towards her.

"Huh? Why? And please stop apologizing. Whatever it is I know you didn't mean it, okay? And thank you for trying your best to cook something for me." She paused while smiling widely. "Now tell me what happen."

"Uhm when i leave your room earlier, I went straight to your living room and saw a black rectangular thing on the table. When i pressed the button, a weird looking box that was hanging on the wall suddenly spoke random words at me."

Chaeyeon giggled at Hyewon's cute antics. "Box? Oh you mean the television. So you opened it and then?"

"Oooh so that's what you call it. Well someone from the television is looking straight into my eyes as if telling me something that i need to do. And she keeps on saying the word "kitchen" or "baking" and the background looks exactly like what you have here in your house so I went here and tried to copy what she's doing. But the thing is, i dont know how to open this tool that she used for cooking," hyewon was pointing at the stove beside her and it makes Chaeyeon smile even more while listening to the girl's adorable explanation. To be honest, its really not necessary to ask her all this because she already read her mind when she stare at her eyes earlier but she just want to witness her charming behavior just now.

"Apparently, fire is needed for the mixture to be cooked and it is also my strength so what i did was i snapped my fingers and directed my hand on the mixture. But i miscalculated the time needed for it to be cooked so the pan suddenly exploded hence the cloud of smoke that you saw earlier." Hyewon ended her speech with her awkward smile "so.. are you mad?"

Chaeyeon laugh at the remark. "Why would i? You are so adorable! How can i be mad?"

"So burning a house an adorable thing for humans? You guys can be weird i must say."

"Aigoo you cute lil creature," Chaeyeon patted her head endearingly. "What i mean is, its you whom i find adorable and not the whole fiasco that you did. "

Hyewon blushed hard at the remark, and suddenly her palms shine a bright coral light which alarms the girl in front of her.

"Hyewon! Your palms are glowing! What's happening? Are you okay?"

"Dont mind it Chaeyeon Im fine. Im just like this when im extremely happy over something. But it can also mean  that I'm hungry. Should i try to cook for you again?" Hyewon laughs.

 

"Oh that is so cool! But as much as i appreciate your effort, I'll just cook for you instead so we can avoid other possible accidents that might happen. Okay?"

 

Hyewon grinned while nodding her head. "Got it! And then after that we can go out and eat some ice cream! I saw it on the television and it looks delicious!"

 

Chaeyeon giggles at the sight of a hyped Hyewon. She patted Hyewon's head again while grinning widely. "If that's what makes you happy then we will do it."

----------------

 

The moon shone brightly that particular night as Hyewon and Chaeyeon linked their arms and stroll along the busy streets of Myeongdong while they enjoy their food hopping adventure. Chaeyeon was not really fond of hanging out with friends most especially at night and she doesn't accept simple invitations for dinner dates or even having coffee with someone during weekends but ever since she met Hyewon, things drastically changed. Having late night dates with the girl became her thing,  and seeing her smile and her laugh when she got too excited about something she knew for the first time was Chaeyeon's highlight of their dates. And also the way Hyewon eat like there's no tomorrow was kinda stuck on her mind and brings smile to her face. At first, she's not even aware of what was happening at herself. But then she smiled when realization hit her hard. This girl who are her 5th cone of ice cream at the moment is slowly but surely crawling its way to her heart. Its an unfamiliar feeling but she love every second of it. And she can't deny the fact that a whipped version of her is quite adorable. Her bestfriend Eunbi can attest to that.   

 

"Maavaline to Chaeyeon, helloooooo~" Hyewon wave her hand in front of Chaeyeon who was staring blankly while her ice cream.

 

Interrupted by the constant waving of a hand, Chaeyeon whipped her head to look at Hyewon with her eyebrows creased. "Huh? What did you say?" Chaeyeon released her infectious laugh bcs of the term used by the pretty alien.

 

"Why are you laughing? Maavaline is my homeland! And I'm a proud Avalinian! As you can see, Earth is not my world so i cannot say 'earth to Chaeyeon' right? I'm learning so much with human languages these days so you should be proud of me." Hyewon raised her eyebrows in a playful manner while grinning widely showing off her eyesmile. Chaeyeon can only nod in amazement by hearing that major information from Hyewon. Avaline is a name that radiates beauty so it suites Hyewon perfectly.

 

Chaeyeon decided to tease the girl some more. "I think i know where you learned all of that. You watch too much stuffs on Tv that its becoming unhealthy. You even cursed at me the other day! I was hurt you know? Huhu" Chaeyeon tried her best to act like shes crying by releasing a whimpering sound while covering her face with her palms.

 

"Aww Im sorry Chaeyeon. You know i didnt mean it right?" Hyewon walks closer to Chaeyeon and tapped her back gently but the latter just shrugged it off and turns her back away from her. 

 

"Chaeyeonaahh~ stop ignoring me. Im going to cry if you didnt budge. And you wouldnt like the idea of it." Hyewon crossed her arms across her chest while controling the urge to let her tears fall from her eyes. But Chaeyeon is being her stubborn self and its making her sad so she doesnt have any choice but to cry at this moment. Her tears started to fell down from her eyes along with droplets of water coming from the sky. Her emotions are somehow connected to nature so when she started to cry, regardless of the reason whether shes happy or not, the rain will surely pour down like its the nature's way of supporting her.  

 

Chaeyeon felt the droplets of rain on her arm and when she turn around, she was welcomed with a devastated looking girl who are whimpering like crazy. Feeling worried that she might get sick from getting wet, she grab the girl's wrist and ran to the nearby shed. She was clueless of the sudden rainfall but she finally understood everything when Hyewon started wailing uncontrollably. The sky suddenly turned dark and lightenings started flashing in the clouds followed by a thunder rumbling horribly. Hyewon's cries and the heavy rain was so in sync she doesnt know if its right to be amazed of what was happening right at this moment or just focus on calming the poor girl in front of her. And a part of her also blame herself for making her cry and ruin their date.

 

"Hyewon I'm sorry i didnt mean to make you cry. Please stop crying ssshhh," Chaeyeon hugs the poor girl while gently caressing the back of her head in a soothing manner. And it seems working bcs she stopped crying in an instant, and Chaeyeon can only hear her cute hiccups due to an intense crying while her head was laying comfortably on her chest and her arms wrapped around her waist. The heavy rain she just witness a while ago also stopped and she felt relieved.

 

Upon making sure that Hyewon is calm now, she slowly detached herself from her hold and touch her damp cheek with both of her palms while gently wiping her tearstained face with her thumb in the process. She was pouting the whole time and it was so adorable she's just controlling herself not to pinch those fluffy cheeks.  She stared at her eyes somehow trying to read what's on her mind but she was dumbfounded when she cant read anything. She tried to focus more by staring at her intently but it was no use. And its her first time to experience that kind of occurence.

 

She shrugged the thought off and ask Hyewon instead. "Are you okay now? Im really sorry. It wont happen again I promise." She lean closer and kissed her forehead like its a normal thing for her to do. The kiss still lingers on hyewon's skin and she felt something inside of her. Something warm and comforting she cant figure out what was it. She often feel that whenever she's with Chaeyeon and that feeling makes her happy. 

 

"You'll know that you are in love when his/her presence makes your heart skip a beat and their happiness became your priority. Because seeing them happy makes your heart rejoice."

 

Chaeyeon's words suddenly strucked on her mind and that's when she realize something. 

 

"Is this the feeling of being in love? Am i falling for you Lee Chaeyeon?"  Hyewon thought. She unconciously flashed her genuine smile while staring at Chaeyeon's captivating eyes.

 

"Hey.. what's with that smile? What are you thinking?" Chaeyeon asked curiously.

 

"Seriously? You really have to ask? I thought you can read minds?" Hyewon said in a teasing manner.

 

"I do but somehow its malfunctioning. And it frustrates me not knowing what youre thinking right now. So don't ask okay?" 

 

"Tsk. So grumpy. But still pretty." Hyewon murmured but too loud for the other girl to hear it.

 

Chaeyeon sighs. "I know, i know," she flips her hair while releasing her contagious laugh making the pretty alien laugh along with her.

 

"And whatever it is that was on your mind, I will know that sooner or later. I can feel it." 

 

"Getting confident now huh? You bet!!" Hyewon stuck her tongue out and ran away from her while laughing histerically.

 

"Yah! Come back here you pretty alien!"

--‐------------

"Eunbi unnie~ what should i do? Ugh!" Chaeyeon facepalmed after telling her bestfriend what happen with her now malfunctioning ability. She invited her for the first time to this cozy bubble tea house near her school telling her that its an urgent matter. 

 

Eunbi sip on her drink before she spoke. "You don't have to do anything Chae."

 

Chaeyeon raised her eyebrow. "Huh? What do you mean?"

 

"Are you kidding me? Did you seriously forget what your father said before he passed away?" Eunbi replied incredulously. 

 

"I was only 4 years old at that time unnie, how can i remember?"

 

"But we already talked about that before you enter the university! Gosh Chaeyeon i cant believe you." Eunbi shook her head in disbelief.

 

"Did we? Hmmm," Chaeyeon paused while racking her brain  on that particular information but she failed. "Just spill the beans unnie, my mind is literally blank at the moment."

 

Eunbi sighs. "Okay here it is. You dont have to do anything about it because its a sign that you are slowly getting healed. And you want go back to your normal life right? Without all those mind buggling thoughts you always hear everyday from other people?"

 

"Yeah you're right but somehow along the way, i already learned to accept my fate and embrace this kind of ability. Like im getting used to it by now." Chaeyeon paused then ask again. "But you said i am slowly getting healed. What's the reason?"

 

"Well..." eunbi sliced a small portion of her cake before she spoke. "It's for you to find out." After eating the last piece of her cake, Eunbi stands up ready to leave.

 

"I need to go Chae, my boss needs me. Goodluck on finding the reason okay? I believe in you Chae! Just listen to your heart and you'll know it right away." Eunbi winks before turning her back at the dumbfounded Chaeyeon. Eunbi started walking with the sound of her heels echoing in the cafe but then she paused when she forget something. She whipped her head at her bestfriend and raise her bubble tea on her hand.

 

"Thanks for the treat! I love you!" She blowed a kiss to her bestfriend and proceed on walking towards the exit leaving Chaeyeon laughing her hearts out at her bestfriends antics.

 

 

"I have to listen to my heart. What does she mean by that?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------END OF PART 2-----‐-

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------- i know that i said its a two part fic but i made changes so ill just extend it into 3 parts, hope you dont mind hehe! Hope you like it! :)