Part 2 [Jaebeom]

Take Me Higher

Being one of the elder members of the group and tasked with helping keep the peace within the group was no easy task, but it was one that filled him with a sense of humility knowing everyone depended on him. There was no moment to be selfish or think himself more lofty than the others, if he did not keep himself grounded then he would hurt the others or lose their trust, so he had to put himself under a higher standard. When he had been pronounced as GOT7's leader he had vowed to be someone his group mates could come to with any trouble, who would be someone that would help lift burdens and provide encouragements. It was a big weight, sometimes he wondered if he piled more on his plate than he could handle, though knowing the others were able to enjoy their youths and participate in so many things light-heartedly made it worth it. If he could protect their smiles, if he could tell them he would help keep their earnest dreams alive, then he would. They were brothers, their bond something that would transcend far into their lives and help them meet in the next-- he was certain.

Who cared if he went days without sleep, or participated in so many projects at one time that he neglected himself, he was part of the whole and he wanted to dabble in as much as he could so everyone in the group had a opportunity to shine. So he'd gladly accept a new sub-unit so their maknae could show his full potential; he would gladly accept being light-headed and go days without proper sleep learning choreography and finishing recording his bits for the group comeback; he would gladly go through nosebleeds if it meant he could help further his friend's dreams by getting them ready for a world tour. He could do this, because he was their leader -no, he was their friend- and he wanted to be the wind beneath everyone's wings. Each day he saw the talent each one wanted to show the world, each day he heard their hearts and souls with each dance or song they worked on, and he would never let a opportunity pass that he could take for them all to advance their dreams. Jaebeom would make certain that they were able to live with many good memories and smiles, his own rest could wait, so he would work hard for a little longer.

With earphones in his ears and pen to paper he mulled over how to best arrange some lyrics for a song that had been floating around his head for days, not quite able to get the tone down just right. He did not think this song would get chosen for their GOT7 album though he had hopes he could get it selected for a future JJ Project or solo song. Scratching yet another word out on the notebook he mouthed a few synonyms until he found a pair that could rhyme and fit what he wanted to convey, so immersed in his task he did not hear the soft and timid knocking on his bedroom door. It was not until his door opened with Youngjae's head peaking in that he took notice, removing his earbuds after pausing the instrumental song on his phone. "Youngjae-yah, sorry I did not reply to you sooner." he apologized, lifting his hand some to show that the earbuds had been the reason he had 'ignored' the knock on his door. Rolling his shoulders a bit after being hunched over his desk for too long he got a small tentative smile to encourage his younger friend to feel at ease with him, prompt him into mentioning the reason for this check in.

For about a week he had noticed that Youngjae had been nervous and a little more unsure of himself, it was strange since he could not recount any recent even to shake the younger up. Whenever he would try to show some brotherly love to his friend he would sometimes end up with Youngjae dodging away or getting stiff as if frozen. Was Youngjae no longer wanting to be babied or was the younger troubled by something, did he do something that hurt the younger so Youngjae wanted space? There had not been any fights or heated topics, he was almost certain he made no off-comment that could be misunderstood... he was at a loss, what could it be? "What's up, you look like you're ready to head out." He casually pointed out, almost chuckling as he saw Youngjae give himself a one over and stutter out a few words before saying Coco's name abruptly as if grasping at straws. "Coco? Did Coco pee on Jinyoung-ah's shoes again or is she out of food? Odd, for such a small dog she goes through food quite quickly." His words paused as Youngjae padded over and sat on his bed waving his hands in front of him.

"No, no, that's not it hyung. Coco is good, promise, she is princess but --well, um-- she needs new clothes?" Youngjae's statement turning into a question somewhere along the line. 

A bit thrown off by the way the conversation was going and if Youngjae was just letting him know he would be out so he would not worry. Getting a awkward smile on his face he let his head tilt to the side, his younger friend never failing to intrigue or confuse him. Thankfully Youngjae rephrased himself, sparing Jaebeom the awkward atmosphere growing between them. "I wanted to buy Coco new clothes, it gets drafty sometimes so I wanted to buy her a cute sweater. It's just that I don't want to shop by myself and if you had time --you do not have to but would be great if you could-- perhaps join me?" The younger blushing a little and his fingers spinning his bracelet around his wrist to give himself something to fidget with, not taking notice of how he had mumbled a little with unintentional aegyo.

With such a pout going on it was hard for Jaebeom to refuse, thinking that Youngjae wanted to offer him a moment of respite from working so much to catch fresh air. It was something Youngjae would suggest after all, such a considerate friend. Thinking not much of it he nodded with a casual air about him, "That would be great, actually I was struggling with this song so a break would do me well. Thanks Youngjae-yah." Closing his notebook and putting his earphones away he made sure to check the charge on his phone before making his way to the door with Youngjae, asking if he knew what store to visit or if he had a particular sweater in mind. Unable to help laughing loudly, a guffaw leaving his lips warm and hearty, when he heard that Youngjae would buy whatever looked nice because Coco would look good in anything. Of course he would say something like that, Coco was their princess after all and spoiled by them all. "Alright, I will help keep a eye out for 'anything that looks good' for our model Coco. Did you eat already, we can grab something while out, my treat since you got me coffee last time." Little by little the atmosphere between them warming up and falling into a familiar pace and rhythm, push and pulling at one another playfully with teasing banter and jokes.