PROLOGUE- Spring (봄)

Flirting with Friendship

PROLOGUE

Spring. The season of love, hope and youth

The perfect spring day. The sky- a gentle hue between cloud and baby-blue. The warm rays of the sun illuminated the water and a chorus of birds came from above; a carnival of fresh scents blew into the air. The royal azaleas bloomed and the cherry blossoms were overflowed with bliss-pink petals. Spring is here.

I was just laying here on the emerald grass, my eyes flowing from tree to tree- of course occasionally stealing glances at her. Who wouldn't? The beauty of the nature surrounding us seemed to make her even more irresistible. I wanted to hold her. I just wanted to comfort her. I want her. But I can't.

"Wonyoungiiee!!! Can you pass me the pen please?"

I was too enchanted by her aura that I didn't even notice what she had said.

"Ya! Wonyoung!"

My trance was broken and I was left flustered by her raised, yet cute voice.

"Huh? Mianhae eonni." I followed her gaze to the pen inside my hand. I gave it to her. Her fingers brushed against mine when I gave her the pen, sending electricity down my spine. I quickly looked to the grass to stop her seeing my blushed cheeks.

"Gomawo eonni" She softly said and she starting doodling in her notepad.

*Sigh*

"She didn't even look at me"

Whatever she did, even if it were the simplest of things, there was always a sense of allure radiating from her. An allure that played tricks with my heart and made it start fluttering hard.

"Hey eonni, you're more quiet than usual" She abruptly said and it took me off guard.

"S-sorry eonni. I was just admiring the view" I replied, trying to calm both my heart and myself down.

"Ne, today is really beautiful isn't it". She raised her head and breathed in the warm air, looking at the elegant trees and flowers encapsulating us like something out of a fairy tale.

She didn't realise what I had meant. It wasn't nature that I was admiring. I was admiring her. And only her. The way her hair was slightly covering her face. The way she says my name. The way she makes me feel.

We were just sitting in the open field, feeling the wind on our faces.

It was simple moments like these which I loved the most. Where we did nothing, yet it felt like everything. It was easy for us to have a good time and we enjoyed each other's company so much. I'm so much more me when I'm with her. It didn't matter where we were. It could be a magical spring day like this, or it could be raining- as long as we were together, it was my favourite place to be.

I guess you could say we're "like two peas in a pod"- totally inseparable. I don't know what I would do without her; I don't know what she would do without me. We've been best friends for so long now and this friendship we have is extremely special to me, too special.

Which makes it even harder for me...

You see, I don't just like her. I don't just have a crush on her. All of that is too simple. What is it called when you want to care for someone beyond all rationality? And wanting them to have everything in the world, even if it kills you? I don't know. I don't understand what it is. But I know that it's something more than a best friend should feel towards their best friend. What happens when one of us feels something more?

And she doesn't even realise. I make it so blatant and obvious! Why can't she just see that I have feelings for her!? Whenever I try flirt with her, she thinks nothing of it. She just thinks I'm being cute! She's so stupid! But I still want her.

How am I going to tell her? Will I ever tell her? It's too dangerous. By confessing, I also sacrifice this perfect friendship I hold so close to my heart. If I confess, she may never speak with me again. She's my hardest goodbye. I can't ever let her go. It's too easy in life for people to part ways forever.

That's why if I want to keep her around, I need to do something about it.

I keep thinking whether she likes me back. I find myself plucking the petals from a daisy as I whisper to myself.

"She loves me... she loves me not"

"Of course she loves me not"

We've been best friends for so long...

She doesn't even look at me. She doesn't see the way I look at her. Which makes my feelings even more ridiculous. But I still can't get over her.

These weird feelings I can't even explain. It's the best thing, and also the worst thing. It feels good but hurts at the same time? I don't understand it.

I guess the best word to describe it is...

Love?

Yes. I Love Ahn Yujin