the first mommy (part two)

THE KIMS

Ryujin - 7

yeji - 9

dahyun - 24

mina - 25


The girls were completely devastated. 

Dahyun laid back on Ryujin's small bed, her feet hanging slightly off the edge as she tried to rub comforting circles onto her back as the child sobbed. Her heart tightened at the heartbroken sobs coming from the girl, as the younger one latched onto her shirt tightly burying her face into her stomach. 

It was something Mina had predicted, but it's effects still blindsided the small family. When the school said they were going to have a Mother's Day celebration, Yeji had suggested she wanted her real mom to attend. It had been nearly a year since their last visit with her, and even though neither girl said it often, they missed her. After a discussion with the girls and their social worker, the foster mothers had agreed to let their biological mother come to the celebration, as long as their social worker would be present as well. 

Their mother was crazy, in a way that infuriated them the more they learned about what exactly the woman tried to do to her kids. Mina would learn bits and pieces of what she would actually do the girls late at night when Ryujin would climb into their bed. Dahyun had to hold her more than once as she suffered through a panic attack when the events from their past lined up with hers a little too closely for comfort. Dispite that, the girls still longed for their mother. So when she promised she would be there, naturally they were over the moon. Especially Ryujin. 

But she wasn't coming to the day. Actually she wouldn't be coming back into their lives at all. Apparently she had a mental breakdown, now was officially into a mental hospital, and the courts have ruled that she was unfit to parent permanently taking away custody. In the midst of this chaos, the godforsaken Mother's Day fiesta had been long forgotten. Well that was until Ryujin brought it up again, and Mina and her had to sit down the girls and explain that they were never going to go back with their mom. Dahyun could see it on their faces, it ing destroyed them on the inside. 

Yeji was more private about it, excusing herself into her bedroom, and hasn't come out since. Mina was currently sitting on the floor outside of her room, waiting patiently for the girl to be ready to talk. The two were alike, they didn't like to be overwhelmed with support when they were upset. So Mina would wait. 

Ryujin however, was a bit more expressive. Maybe it was a side affect of being so young, or it was just her personality but it wasn't hard to guess what she was feeling at any given point in time. So when she started to wail and cry, Dahyun just scooped her up and laid in bed with her the way she knew the girl liked to be comforted. Eventually the cries died down, and Ryujin just laid there. She heard Yeji's door open and close, indicating that Mina had finally gotten clearance to enter. 

"I really wanted her to go." Ryujin admitted, tone still watery and she gripped onto Dahyun a little tighter. 

"I know sunshine."

"She's not coming back?"

"No."

"Can- can you come to our day then?"

"Of course, Mina and I will be there."

Kim Dahyun was going to make Mother's Day picnic banaza her . 

...

The party had already started when they arrived, filled with kids running in ever which direction and mother's already formed into small cliques chatting. The girls seemed excited throughout the morning, helping them pack up lunchboxes and a blanket for them to eat. Yeji had broken off somewhere with Mina, leaving Dahyun to be lead wherever the little one wanted after they set up their blanket. She marched them right over to a small group of kids who looked excited to see her. 

"Who's that, Ryu?"

"This is my mommy!" Ryujin cheered, pulling Dahyun over to the group of first graders. Her friends offered Dahyun a smile and a hello, "and that's my other mommy over there!"

"You have two mommies?" A boy questioned, clearly confused with the situation. 

"Yeah Jisung. I have two mommies."

"Wait- what- how?"

Dahyun felt a little bad, the boy seemed genuinely confused. She could practically see the gears turning in her head about how this was in the realm of possibility. Thinking about it neither of the girls ever gave her a second glance about why Mina and Dahyun were dating, or the fact that Dahyun's moms were dating. It was just kind of the norm. She tried to weigh if she wanted to explain this to him in her head, but Ryujin got to it first. 

"I don't know, they just love eachother and me. So their my mommies."

"Wait girls can love other girls?" Another girl cut in, looking just as confused with the situation.

"Yup." 

The kids seemed satisfied with that answer, breaking off to play on the playground equipment leaving Dahyun there smiling softly. She finally tore her gaze away and went to the small picnic blanket they had set up. She laid down with a small huff, feeling the warm sun beat down on her. Her peace was interrupt shortly when Yeji plopped down next to her, smiling over at her. 

"Are you having a good time?" Dahyun questioned, reaching up to brush a strand of hair out her face. 

"Yeah, they have a dunk tank set up!"

"That's cool, we'll have to try it after lunch!"

"Of course!"

"Do you know where my wife happens to be? We should probably eat lunch soon."

"Mina's playing with Ryujin and her friends, look." Yeji pointed out, motioning over to where Mina was indeed surrounded by small children. She had Ryujin picked up as the girl was laughing and they ran around together. 

"Why aren't you playing with your friends?" Dahyun questioned, she swore she saw Lia and Chaeryoung around here somewhere. The three were good friends, all being on the same softball team. 

"I was, but I saw you sitting alone so I thought I'd hang out with you for a little bit. It is a mother's day thing anyways."

Reaching into the bag, Dahyun took out a container of sliced watermelon out and offered it to the younger. She took it and started nibbling on it softly. 

"Thanks Mom"

"Mom?"

"I mean everyone else is saying it, why not?" Yeji shrugged and Dahyun cheesed. 

"Watermelon!" Ryujin screamed, running full forced over to them knocking down Yeji. 

"Watermelon!" Mina copied, knocking down Dahyun. The four laid on the ground laughing and laughing until Mina started distributing their packed lunch boxes. 

Mother's day was a success.