Fin

Flower Crown

“ Why are you always making those?”

The lad, who was asked, raised his head up.

 

Spring had just arrived and flowers were blooming everywhere at the fields. Variety of colours was painted across the whole valley like a coloured canvas. Everywhere was bustling with life but only the florist house was quiet.

Serenity hits the home as Jeonghan continued his question.

 

“I just thought that they were nice little things to have around.”

Joshua smiled and continued his work. Jeonghan watches from outside through the workshop’s window as Joshua picked up yet another flower from the side of the table. Tying yet another piece of flower to the almost done circle, it seemed to Jeonghan that Joshua was making…a crown.

 

Brows furrowed, Jeonghan’s grip on the windowsill tightened.

 

The sound of spring breeze chimed across the almost silent room. The small wooden house graces yet the presence of another customer. A little girl came waddling her way into the room with a handful of daisies. Joshua set aside the crown that he had been working on and greeted the little girl.

 

“Oh thank you Min-ah! Here’s the crown that I promised!” Joshua put a crown on the head of the little girl. It was a crown made of daisies. Simple yet beautiful, donning the hair of the little girl. The little girl spun around the room in happiness and expressed her thanks to the florist with a kiss on the cheek.

 

“You’re welcome.” Joshua returned a smile to the little girl as the little girl hopped away to find more flowers for the florist again.

 

“-Shua, do you miss those times? Those times when we had everything?” Jeonghan sat by the windowsill that he was leaning on earlier. Joshua was taken aback by Jeonghan’s question but he shook his head in denial.

 

“I do miss those times-” The tall, white buildings cladded in colours whenever they were festivities. Long corridors where they often roamed around because he wasn’t allowed to go out. Streets and shops, b with crowds everyday. Peoples shouting as they bargained the prices of item that they wanted to buy. Those days where there is nothing much to worry and no one to be afraid of… “-But we are happy now as well.”

 

“I will be happy wherever we go.” Joshua maintained that wide smile of his. Jeonghan stared at his smile and wondered if he was really fine.

 

One day Joshua was the next heir in line to take over the kingdom and on the next; he became just a normal citizen. Stripped from all royalties and formalities, Joshua never showed any emotion for quite some period when the war broke out. Jeonghan could still remember the moments when he grabbed the prince away from the war wretched place. The king’s last words, asking the knight to forever protect the young prince. The young prince cries as he pleaded not to leave the palace. Tears and blood were shed. Smoke erupting from the far end horizon, voices of people begging for help…war was a horrifying piece of memory that Jeonghan wished not to remember.

 

Yet, here they were, all in one piece with this peaceful scenery to share.

 

Jeonghan pledged to protect the prince even long before the king asked him to.

When he first saw that angelic smile of his, he knew that was all his heart needed.

 

All his heart needed to fall for the prince.

 

“Happiness can be so simple. It doesn’t have to be all the luxurious items.” Joshua continued as he tied up the last knot of the flower crown. It was a crown of red and pink flowers. “It could be a bouquet of flowers, a cup of tea or just a smile from your loved one…”

 

Jeonghan was listening to what Joshua was talking about as he gazed over the flower field, looking outside of the house. However, as soon as he noticed the voice stopped talking, he turned around and found Joshua was fidgeting. He raised an eyebrow in confusion at the nervous figure.

 

Sudden silence engulfed both of them and Jeonghan decided to break the awkward atmosphere.

 

“-Well, uhm, who was that for? Don’t tell me it was that for that girl who came by last-” Jeonghan gazed at the lavish looking flower crown but Joshua stopped Jeonghan before he could finished.

 

“-It was for you.”

 

Startled, Jeonghan stared at the prince.

 

“Are you okay? D-Did I do something wrong?” Jeonghan stuttered and raised his hand in defense. Joshua had never seen such dumbfound in Jeonghan’s eyes ever since he tried to prank him by faking his injury. Joshua sighed at the behavior of his childhood friend.

 

It was supposed to be a confession, not confusion!

 

As Jeonghan paced around, wondering whether he did something wrong, Joshua crawled out of the windowsill and placed the flower crown that he made on top of Jeonghan’s head. Jeonghan lifted his head and stared at Joshua. Light pink and red really does matched Jeonghan’s complexion and blonde hair.

 

Joshua flashed a smile at Jeonghan as he gave him a riddle and the answer.

 

“A circle around your finger is called a ring,

But what do you call a circle around my heart? ”

 

“A flower crown.”

 

Jeonghan continued to stare at Joshua, clearly not understanding what he tried to say. For someone who practiced martial arts instead of poetry writing, his brain was on the verge of malfunctioning. Joshua groaned at the stoned figure.

 

“I am trying to tell you I like you, damn it!”