HYEOL

Enchantress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Father drops me off at the gate of my school. He rolls down the window, one arm resting on the window frame. "Remember, Hyeol, be great. I won't expect anything less from you," he says. He always gives me a pep talk before school. It's usually along the lines of 'be great' and 'show them who you are'. I can only nod. There's not much I can do in a place where I've labeled myself as a Swine. Of course, Father doesn't know that. And I'd like to keep it that way.

I nod. "Bye, Father."

He drives off. 

It's only 7AM, so the school is pretty much empty. People usually come around 7:20, sparing the remaining ten minutes to get ready for class. I, on the other hand, like arriving early. Not only I can get away from home, I also don't have to deal with people looking at me as I enter the class.

I walk past the gate. There's no fence, just a couple of security cameras and power detectors. In UN High, students aren't allowed to use their powers freely. Power usage should not cause anything more than Level 1 damages. Level 1 damages is just a fancy word for minor injuries. It includes nosebleed, first degree burn, and other injuries that doesn't harm internal organs or breaking bones. So long as your insides are fine, playing with powers is permitted. Also, students are prohibited from using power during classes. We have detectors in our classes as well.

UN High is one of the two high schools in our town, Exodus. There's UN, ours, and Eve. Luxurious towns like Elyxion have multiple schools, each one more prestigious than another, but here, we only need two. We don't have that many people, anyway. People normally choose schools that is closest to home. I didn't. Father especially chose UN High because a lot of its alumni are well-known people in Exo. It doesn't bother him that it takes about thirty minutes drive to get to UN while it would only take ten minutes to walk to Eve High. 

Despite all that, I'm quite thankful for the choice. Without minding the students, UN is a very nice school to go to. It's very large. It has a running track, which I love to use as an excuse to go home late. The building is paint in silver and white. There's Exo flag waving high on top of a pole. On Exo's birthday, we have to attend the ceremony, which consists of standing under the sunlight at seven in the morning, listening to our headmaster talk about Exo history and singing anthems for two hours. If we're lucky we'd get the Chief to give the speech; he doesn't talk that much. The halls and classes are free from litters. The students are very disciplined for clean living space and of course, education. I always forget to tell Father that it is extremely hard to be great in a school where everyone is great.

There's a total of three years you'd have to spend in high schools in Exo: L, M, and R. L means lead, the last year. Below us are the Ms (you guessed it, middle) and Rs (rookie). I'm in class L-58, which is on the third floor, right at the end of the hall, near the bathroom. Students have designated classrooms every year. Before high school, people must attend the elementary for nine years. I've been to a couple of elementaries because I kept on insisting that I'm a Swine when I'm not. My parents moved me. In UN, I've learned my lesson. I specifically told the administratives that I would like my parents not to know that I'm a Swine because they were very happy when I told them that I have a power. They don't care much, of course, since I'm supposedly a Swine. They don't care enough to tell my parents the other

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter