Final Goodbyes

A Little More Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
FINAL GOODBYES

 

"No, no, no... Please no." Taehyung's thoughts raced in his mind as he ran through the sliding doors of the hospital. His heart was pounding in fear and hands trembling as he reaches the room giving hospitality to his husband. After receiving a dreadful phone call from the hospital while at work, Taehyung immediately rushed to the building.

 

"Is this Mr. Jeon Taehyung?" a voice from the other line asked carefully.

 

"Yes, it is. May I ask who is calling?" Taehyung was in the middle of doing some paperwork for his boss while holding the phone on his shoulder. He had a deadline to reach before midnight and could not afford any distractions. There was too much work to be done.

 

"This is Seoul Central Hospital, Dr. Park speaking. Your husband is currently in the ICU due to a recent bus accident. We need you to come to the hospital for some paperwork."

 

Upon hearing the news, Taehyung dropped his pen and stared at the paper in front of him in shock. He did not care about the paperwork at the moment, desperate to know about his husband's condition. "Jeongguk... Is he okay?! Tell me, is my husband conscious?" The worst scenario played out in his head.

 

And that's how he found himself in front of the hospital room much later. He reaches for the door handle and pulling it open slowly, stepping into the room.

 

The beeping sound of the heart monitor rang repeatedly and attached to the man laying still on the bed with a breathing mask upon his face. Besides his husband sat his mother-in-law holding onto the hand of her son with tears streaming down her face.

 

"Jeongguk-ah..." his voice came out as soft as a whisper. He wanted to reach out and touch his beloved, but his legs felt heavy. Tears brimmed in his eyes seeing the state of his husband.

 

"Taehyung." Mrs. Jeon stood up from her seat besides the bed and making her way towards her son-in-law. She immediately engulfs him in a tight hug, her tears staining his shirt as she let's out quiet sobs. His arms circling around his mother-in-law, holding her in an attempt to comfort her.

 

"Mom, is he... alright?" He mumbles, not knowing what to say. His eyes continues to stare over at his husband, tears threatening to spill. Taehyung slowly made his way over to his husband afterwards, seeing the life machine that's keeping him alive. He did not know how serious the accident was, but to be placed in the ICU did not seem like a good sign.

 

"Please tell me he's alright... Please..." he begs to no-one in specific. Taehyung takes the seat besides his husband's bedside, his hand reaching for the younger's. "K-Kookie..." his voice was soft when he called out to his beloved.

 

Jeongguk's mother takes her leave afterwards, leaving the couple alone. She had to catch a flight for her business trip abroad, telling Taehyung to take care of her son and inform her of his condition.

 

"Jeongguk... Do you hear me?" his tears were now streaming down his face, not being able to hold back his emotions. "I'm so sorry. I just... I'm sorry for not putting you first and putting my work before you." Taehyung brings his husband's frail hand to rest on his chest, nuzzling into the comfort of the younger's palm. The warmth of his hand was not there and Taehyung couldn't help but sob silently at the empty cold feeling.

 

It seemed like such a long time ago when he last felt his husband's hands cupping his cheeks, making him feel like he was holding his whole world in the palm of his hands.

 

"Your cheeks are so cute, baby." Jeongguk chuckled as he cups Taehyung's chubby cheeks stuffed with marshmallows. Taehyung pouted while trying to swallow the sweets in his mouth, making his husband squeal at how adorable he looked.

 

"It's been so long since I've felt your warmth. I never knew how much I missed it. I'm so sorry it took so long for me to realize it." Taehyung placed the younger's hand back on his side. He lifted up his hand to caress his love's cheek with his knuckle. "Please don't leave me." the words came out broken, more tears flowing down his cheeks.

 

 

"I'm sorry Mr. Jeon... but we have done all we can." Dr. Park broke the news to Taehyung that night. After hours of surgery, Taehyung had only hoped and prayed for there to be some good news. But only for it to tumble down on him. "I'm afraid that your husband is permanently unresponsive. He's brain dead." Dr. Park tried to settle the tragic news as gently as he could.

 

"No... Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter