Crossroad

Love for sale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Krystal tried to hide her nervousness as she sat next to her Appa in the meeting room. She concentrated on the presentation on the wall. She bit her lip because she only understood parts of the new project that was being presented. In her head, she was thinking of how true it is when people say that everything you learn at the college is mostly not practical. She graduated with a laude but she had no idea what the guy at the front was saying all the time. It is not that she doesn't understand the number of the terms of the graphic he was showing, she was just having a hard time connecting it into real life.

She got up and bowed to everyone as the presentation was finished. Everyone bowed back to her. She tried to ignore the voices behind her back as she left the room with her Appa. She knew exactly what they talked about. The only reason she was able to sit there was that she is her Appa's daughter. She knew that the board of directors wasn't exactly excited about having her as her Appa successor. They can't do much about it because 55% of the company belongs to Krystal's father as the founder.

Jung Moon Sung looked at his daughter, he patted her head and said "No one is born a master, Princess. You learn with time." Krystal looked at her Appa and nodded.  After that day Krystal always spent one of two hours learning at home, determined not to disappoint her Appa. She took the presentations home and studied them, went to her Appa if there were things she didn't understand well. About six months later, Krystal wasn't so nervous anymore to sit next to her Appa, she even could point out mistakes in the presentation of giving suggestions to new projects. She felt that at least half of the board of directors doesn't look at her halfhearted anymore, at least they didn't roll her eyes or sigh each time Krystal had something to say. She led three projects so far, the first one didn't go as well as she hoped but she felt she got better with each task.

She knew that she still has a lot to learn if she were to take over the director position from her Appa. Unfortunately, the board is split into half, with the first half standing behind Jung Moon Sung and the other half wanted to have a more profit-minded director. Being young and inexperienced, standing in front of men and women who are at least twice as old as she wasn't easy for her. The first time she led a meeting she didn't sleep the whole night, she felt like puking each time she thought about the meeting. It went better than she imagined and she didn't faint or puke as she led the meeting. Uncle Kim, Uncle Ahn, Aunt Jo and a lot from the board director congratulated her afterward. Krystal stood in front of the room, trying to keep the calm while her heart was beating as if it wanted to leap out of her chest. She just smiled weakly as her Appa praised her in the car as they drove home. She entered the house and then she suddenly lost of the strength in her legs. Appa Jung worriedly came to her and asked her what was wrong but all Krystal could do was stare at him. Seconds later she was crying and sobbing, all the tension and nervousness she had to hide just exploded. Jung Moon Sung took her dearest daughter in his arms and comforted her.

 

It took about half an hour until Krystal managed to stop crying. She went to her room, feeling ashamed of what had just happened. What her Appa must think of her. 

"Come in," she said as she heard a knock at the door.

Krystal smiled as she saw her dad came in "Hi, Appa" 

"Hey, Princess," he sat down on her bed and kissed her forehead. He took her hand in his and said "Listen, Princess. I know how hard this day is for you and you handled it very well. And I am not saying this because you are my daughter. You really should be proud of yourself today." 

Krystal took a deep breath, "Will it be better? Or do I have to throw up each time I have to lead a meeting?" 

​​​​"You'll get used to it. People notice your confidence. Especially the older ones. They can smell your nervousness," he chuckled "But honey, I just need to tell you something." 

​​​"What is it, Appa?" 

​​​​​​"You know that I love you so much and I might intentionally or unintentionally put in your head placed the thought that I want you to take over the company for me. I actually do but only if you also want to." 

​​​"Appa..." Krystal tried to stop her dad but he continued 

"I mean, if you say you would rather do paintings or art, I would be there for you. I just want you to be happy, Princess." 

Krystal smiled, "Appa, I know all that. I am not doing this because I feel like I have to. I'm doing this because I want to. I just got frustrated sometimes from all the pressure, but I think that is what makes you stronger in this business. I have to admit, at first, I thought I would be better in this but I'm actually not. Unfortunately, I don't belong to those people who have that business blood, as if they were born to lead a company. But I also believe that hard works and experience will make you a good leader too. "

"Talking like a pro," Jung Moon Sung smiled to his daughter. "Take your time, learn from your mistakes, listen to what others tell you. But first, you have to learn to distinguish friends and foe." 

​​​​​​"I am not afraid, Appa. I have you." Krystal hugged her dad. 

​​​Jung Moon Sung wrapped his hands around her only daughter "Appa loves you so much, Princess." 

​​​​​​"I love you, too, Appa.." 

"Get some rest, okay" 

​​​​​​"I will. Goodnight." 

 

​​​​​Krystal wanted to at some material for tomorrow but decided to take a break and grabbed a book. She didn't feel like reading and looked at her reflection on the tv screen in front of her. She couldn't remember when was the last time she watched tv. She rummaged her drawer for the remote control, press 'ON' and jumped back to her bed. 

She clicked her channel button up and down but found nothing interesting and sighed. She stooped as she saw Yoo Jae Suk on a channel. At the bottom said '1 on 1 with Yoo Jae Suk.' Krystal always loved him, she didn't recognize the show and was curious about what it was about. It must be some kind of interview program she guessed, something like Ellen or Jimmy Kimmel. 

She didn't recognize the first guest and find it a bit boring but she was too lazy to change the channel. She kept the tv running while browsing new shoes on her phone. 

​Half listening she heard Jaesuk said 'Our next guest is still young but I am sure she earns as much money in a day as I do in a year. She' s the CEO of two companies, rumors said maybe it's going to be three soon. And I have so much respect on her for fighting for her right and stood up for what she believes."

The introduction intrigued Krystal, she sat up and turned the volume up as Jaesuk said: "Please welcome, Miss Amber Liu."

 

At that moment Krystal's attention was 100% at the tv, she threw her phone on the side and turn the volume even louder. How long has it been since she saw Amber? She remembered she promised to hang out with her but it never happened. Amber did message her a few times but the time was never right. 

Krystal could hear a few whistles from the audience as Amber entered the room, waved a little bit to them before she bowed to Jaesuk and shook his hand. She wore a white shirt with a black blazer and skinny jeans. Still, with her undercut but she bleached her hair s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter