Found Family

Lost & Found

Inspector Kim is the first to congratulate Minseok when the adoption is finalized.

“I have a friend who works with adoption cases. Asked her to keep an eye on your case.” He doesn’t ask if that’s legal or not and thanks her for the daisies delivered that morning.

Jongin wasn’t allowed to move in until everything was settled, but Minseok visited him often and felt bad when he could only say “soon” to the repeated question of when Jongin could come home.

It seems like a lifetime ago since finding Jongin on what should have been a routine call. Minseok spends the evening before the official day deep-cleaning the apartment—including Han’s room—to make it as kid safe and welcoming as possible.

Late morning, Minseok picks up Jongin at the orphanage and loads his meager luggage—a backpack of clothes and a plush bear the size of a toddler.

“This is it, kiddo.” Minseok opens the apartment door and lets Jongin walk in first. Loey sniffs him all over, not believing his boy is in his house, and deposits his favorite toy in Jongin’s hands.

Lu Han waves from the kitchen. He has a gentle face that most everyone seems to like, but Jongin shyly turns to hide his face in Minseok’s sleeve. “That’s Lu Han. We’ve lived together since college. He’s my age, is a nut for Manchester soccer, and two of the three cats are technically his.” On cue, his large gray cat makes her appearance, sniffing Jongin’s fingers and rubbing her body around his before doing the same to Loey, who sneezes. “This is my girl, Tan.” Two smaller cats, solid gray and orange tabby, deem now the time to show up. “These are Zhu and Tom, but neither of them really know their names.” Both boy cats take more time sniffing Jongin, but Zhu’s bounces up when Jongin pets down his back, and Tom gets jealous enough to push his head under Jongin’s arm.

“Well, I’m convinced,” Han remarks. “He’s a good kid and has my homecoming blessing. Welcome home, Jongin!”

Jongin manages a small smile.

“You want to see your room?” Jongin nods shyly. “It isn’t done, yet. I was hoping you wouldn’t mind kind of camping out—or you can stay in my room—as we finalize it.” He opens the first door in the hall and lets Jongin inside.

It’s a little bit smaller than the other bedrooms, but it could still fit a queen-sized bed comfortably. They’ve been using it as a sort of equipment storage room, but most has been moved into the basement storage. Magazines sprawl across the floor, dog-eared pages advertising furniture, hardware, and paint stores.

“I wanted your input before doing anything. This will be your room, and I’d like you to design it however you want.

“Because this is your home, now.”

 


 

a/n: Written for Rock a Bye EXO. (prompt no.RB164 Policeman!Minseok responds to a report about suspicious activity in an abandoned house in the middle of the city’s suburban area. He’s part horrified and part broken at what he finds: a small child, terrified and alone, who immediately attaches himself to the closest kindness: Minseok himself.)

❝Family isn’t always blood. It’s the people in your life who want you in theirs; the ones who accept you for who you are. The ones who would do anything to see you smile and who love you no matter what.❞ — unknown