Chapter Six.

we could see the sun shine.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Six.

 

 

After many weeks of preparations, Wonyoung can finally say proudly that she had made it to the day of the Sports’ Carnival in one piece. Yena had become surprisingly cooperative throughout the last spurt of the process – but she would reason that it was the supervision of Chaewon that helped with that hurdle. It was always a great feeling when a project got done, and the clear faces of excitement that passed her by throughout the school made Wonyoung think that it was a job well done.

 

“What event are you guys in again?” Yena asked, as she shoulder bumped into the taller girl lightly.

 

Wonyoung looked down and puffed up her cheeks, “Why would I tell you? So, you can go and tease me in the sidelines?”

 

Yena laughed at the response, “No. It’s so that I can go and make sure you won’t hurt yourself from trying too hard.”

 

There was a moment of quiet as Wonyoung digested the words of care that so casually flowed out of the older one’s mouth. She always found it unfair that someone who claimed to be bad at expressing herself, could say stuff like that so nonchalantly.

 

“A-are you participating in the relays then?” Wonyoung stuttered, hoping they could gloss over whatever had just happened.

 

Yena nodded, “Yep. Now tell me what you’re doing.”

 

“Badminton…” Wonyoung whispered.

 

“What?” Yena leaned in closer, “Why are you suddenly so quiet?”

 

Wonyoung flinched a little as Yena leaned in, managing to get a whiff of the older girl’s shampoo. She knew everyone was joking when they say she doesn’t shower but a part of her wanted it to be true so it’d give her less reasons to fall for the stupid senior. But, of course, it just had to be one of her favourite fruity smells that she had always thought would suit the energetic nature of Yena.

 

“Badminton…” she repeated, leaning back a little to get some space.

 

Yena smiled, “Badminton?”

 

Wonyoung nodded shyly.

 

“Why are you so shy?” Yena noticed, “Are you bad at badminton?”

 

Wonyoung both hated and loved that Yena never landed on the right point after noticing things, “I’m alright.”

 

“What time is it?” Yena continued, “I’ll make sure to go.”

 

“Eleven-thirty…”

 

Yena flashed a toothy grin and nodded, “I’ll see you there then!”

 

Wonyoung watched as the shorter girl ran off – she assumed it was to go prepare for an event – and realised she didn’t get to ask when Yena’s relay was. “Unnie! You didn’t tell me when your relay is!” the older girl was already too far by now, so Wonyoung simply decided to ask for the schedule herself from one of the supervising teachers. 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Having Yena at her badminton match wasn’t so bad, Wonyoung thought as she watched her good friend run across the court with well-trained agility. She wondered if Yujin was feeling anything similar having Minjoo at her match right now. She turned over to observe the expression on Minjoo’s face and smiled a little – this really reminded her of their middle school times when they used always go to Yujin’s games and cheer for her. Times were changing now. Wonyoung wasn’t jealous that Yujin had eyes for Minjoo anymore, and Minjoo wasn’t as concentrated anymore.

 

Minjoo, of course, still enjoyed the game and seeing Yujin steal the court with her amazing skills, but it wasn’t the same as before anymore. They had all grown a little, and moved on a little. Wonyoung felt nostalgic thinking back and seeing how within such a short time, so much could go by unnoticed on the surface.

 

“Oh, my god, I hope they’re okay…”

 

It wasn’t common for students to be distracted during a basketball match that involved Yujin, so she couldn’t help but perk her ears up at the murmuring behind her.

 

“What happened?”

 

“Did you see on Twitter? Someone said that during the relay one of the student council members fell, they might’ve twisted an ankle.”

 

Wony

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter