eternal

elixir of life

995 ce

 

“Hey slow down!”

Seonyi grappled up the steep hill, relying on the vines to help hoist her up. It was almost sunset and she didn’t want to miss the glowing orb setting beneath the waves. She and Baekhyun made it a tradition to do this every night, once they found out he was going to be wedded off to a neighboring kingdom’s daughter. Panting, she let go of her gathered skirts and rests her hands on her waist and hoped that the applied pressure would ward off the oncoming cramps. Seonyi looked behind to see Baekhyun not too far off, signalling him to hurry.

“You’re going to miss it if you don’t move faster.”

Baekhyun made his way up the hill just in time to see the last rays of daylight fade into a purple sky. He swung his arm around her shoulders, something he found himself doing more often. “The sky looks especially nice tonight,” he whispered; as if the scene would crumble if he spoke any louder. They stood in silence, resting in each other's presence.

"Have you heard of how the sun and moon came to be," Seonyi asked Baekhyun. Baehyun shook his head. "A long time ago, when the earth was just filled with darkness, God decided that the humans deserved light so that they may fully see the beauty that He had created. Instead of creating it out of nothing, He decided to transform this couple that had loved each other very much. God was jealous of the love that they had for each other so he made them live eternity separated. He warned them that if either one gets too close they would kill each other for the Sun's fire would be too much for the Moon to handle. They would spend their days chasing each other, but only seeing glimpses. Then one day, the Heavens felt sorry for the lovers and decided that they would help them meet; however, they could only spend a few minutes face to face or else the Moon would die. So every few years, the Heavens will help push the Sun and the Moon together so they can share a quick embrace before God catches them. That's why the solar eclipse happens."

Baekhyun chuckled, "Where did you hear that story?" 

"I read it in one of the scrolls that were in the library," Seonyi faces Baekhyun, "Isn't it romantic? They love each other so much that they were willing to risk their lives to see each other." She admires his face glowing in the moon light. He would definitely be the Sun. His bightness always drew people towards him. His smile was the most beautiful thing she's ever seen. When the light hit just right, you could see the golden streaks weaving through his brown irises. And she would be the Moon, shrouded in the darkness so no one could see her, reflecting the sun's brilliant light. The one willing to risk her life for him if she had to, but he didn't know that nor did he need to.

Each night was getting harder and harder for Seonyi to bear. 17 days until the princess came to visit. 30 days until they were to be married. When his father passes, which doesn’t seem to be too far away, he will take the throne. Though Baekhyun wouldn’t be leaving the palace grounds, he would become far too busy with his new wife and preparing for kingly duties to spend time with her. He promised her that things wouldn’t change, but she wasn’t dumb. He might be able to make time for the first couple of weeks, maybe a month, after that he would be consumed with his work. Not necessarily a bad thing. He was good at what he did, his people loved him, far more support than his father was receiving nowadays. 

Seonyi slipped out of his embrace, holding onto his wrist, “We should start heading back before it gets too dark.” Her fingers lingered close to his palm. She felt his heartbeat speed up and glanced at his face. He blushed. Coming from a background of healers, her first instinct was to press the back of her other hand onto his forehead. “Are you ok? Did the hike really make you that sick?” She looked concerned.

Baekhyun reached up and brought her hand back down, giving it a light squeeze. He took a step closer, lessening the space between them. “I’m fine.” A small smirk forming on his features. It was Seonyi’s turn to get nervous. 

One of his hands moved to rest on her neck. The other slowly reaching up to touch her face.

“Ow!” Seonyi grimaced as Baekhyun flicked her forehead. When she opened her eyes, he was rushing back down the hill, laughing loudly. 

“That’s it. You’re dead Byun Baekhyun!” She trailed after him, laughing and shouting. There was a part of her that wondered if he was going to kiss her. She imagined what that’d be like. Her lips against his, fingers tangled in each other’s hair or roaming their bodies. Pressed so close that they’d become one. 

Not too far ahead, Baekhyun was thinking the same thing. Why couldn’t he just kiss her. Sighing, he shook his head to get rid of the thoughts. Reaching the palace gates, he slowed down, finding himself in a headlock by Seonyi soon after. 

“Your Royal Highness, Lady Hong,” the servant bowed, “Dinner is served. Please make your way to the grand hall.” 

Their eyebrows quirked in confusion. The only time they had dinner in the main area was when there was a celebration. “Do you know what we’re celebrating?” Seonyi inquired. Baekhyun nodded, "One of our fleets came back with new information and treasure from the North. Let's hurry, I'm starving.” Hand in hand, they followed the scent of the delicious spices and herbs mixed with meat. 

Baekhyun went forward, taking his seat beside the king. Seonyi could hear the Queen scolding Baekhyun for the dirt and grass stains on his clothes. Being the Crowned Prince requires a constant sense of thoughtfulness, something that Baekhyun was still lacking. To be honest, he never really wanted to be a leader. Being a leader required him to stay inside the palace all day, being followed by nosy servants that he couldn't trust. He already began to see the effects of the throne on his father. The gray hair that was already starting to show and the secret visits to the healer due to his recurring nightmares that only arose rumors that the King was no longer fit to rule. 

"Your Majesty," an advisor bowed in front of the King. "May I present to you this scroll acquired from our voyages from up north? It tells the tale of an emperor from the Qin Dynasty who found the cure for death." He handed the scroll to the King, doing a full bow to the floor. "Live for a long time your majesty!"

Whispers began floating around. The King glanced at the writing and laughed. "Doctor Hong, this should be given to you. Make me this elixir they speak of. Our dynasty can reign forever!"

Seonyi's father went up to accept the scroll and exchanged hushed words with the King. She could hear the disapproval of the people around her. She was stunned that they would speak such harsh words when the King was only a few feet away, it only made her worry for Baekhyun's future. Would they treat him the same way when he got old? Would they push for a revolt?

Baekhyun saw Seonyi's furrowed brows and sent a smile her way. Are you okay, he mouthed. She responded with a crinkle of her nose, her signal that she was fine.

After the feast, Seonyi's father announced that they would be moving inside the gates so he could work directly with the King to develop the elixir. Seonyi was worried. If she moved into the palace she would be running into Baekhyun more; before the thought would excite her, but with recent events she wanted to give herself space to get over her feelings for him.

Baekhyun on the other hand was ecstatic. He would be able to see Seonyi every day, eat meals together, maybe the teacher would let her sit in during his lessons. He had always felt lonely growing up, being the only child, but when he met Seonyi everything had changed. Now that he would begin his transition into becoming king, he depended on Seonyi more than ever. Things were moving too fast and he hoped that their friendship was something that would never change. Friendship... The thought caused him to suppress a laugh. If he had it his way he would choose Seonyi over any princess. She was his star, the one that'd guide him whenever he was lost, always dependable, and shined bright even in the darkness.