timeless

elixir of life

995 ce

 

The next couple of weeks went by quickly. Like Baekhyun wanted, he and Seonyi spent almost every waking moment together. They went on adventures together and even rediscovered an old row boat that they used to play with when they were children. The queen was worried about them being inseperable but the king allowed it seeing as once Baekhyun got married he wouldn't be able to just leave the palace whenever he wanted to. "We should just let them have their fun while they're still children," the king smiled fondly as he saw the two sat on horses, galloping out the gates. Had Seonyi been a royal, he would have said they were the perfect match. No one could control Baekhyun like she could. The king sighed and resumed with his writing for the day, an announcement of the marriage between his son and the princess of the Gwangsan clan that was to happen within the next month.

Soon, it became their final night watching the sunset. Deciding to make this night special they used the row boat to sail out into the middle of the water and watch the sun set from there. By this time tomorrow there were no more promises. Seonyi would be using her time helping her mother and father with healing people or making medicine. Baekhyun would have to give his full attention towards the throne. From that point on they would have to resist seeing each other, it would only cause tensions between Baekhyun and his wife. She reached out to touch his hand, feeling the warmth radiating off his fingertips.

"Are you nervous?" Her voice barely above a whisper.

"I'm sure my father made the right decision in finding me a wife," he looked down.

"That doesn't answer my question."

There was a pause, Baekhyun didn't know how to answer. I'm scared because I can only see a future with you. I'm scared because I don't know what lengths I would go to in order to be with you, but I would never put you in that position. He lowered his head into his hands, "It doesn't matter what I'm feeling. A marriage is necessary for me to keep the peace between nations."

Seonyi pulled Baekhyun into an embrace, seeing him look so defeated and small made him look like a child again. "You're going to be a great king some day. Always be mindful of the people below you and do things that will help them, not just the nobles. Show kindness and mercy and you'll be loved by your people." She held him at arms length, "I never believed that it's better for a ruler to be feared than to be loved."

"Why are you speaking to me as if it's our last time meeting. You live inside the gates now, you'll have all your life to give me advice," Baekhyun chuckled, "Though I'm sure a mere grave won't stop you from chastising me."

It might as well be the last night. She let out a sigh, "You're right. You better be good to your people or else I'll come back to haunt you." She wiggled her fingers, earning a laugh from the prince.

"I'll be a bad king on purpose so you can come see me. Who knows, if your father can replicate the elixir of life, maybe we would never have to die!"   

They spent the next couple of hours laughing about anything and everything, both too afraid to really say how they felt about each other. Soon the darkness turned into light and they had to return to their respective positions.

Baekhyun winced as the maids pulled his hair, combing through all the knots before securely tying it and inserting a gold pin. It was the same one that his father had worn when he first met his mother. The women helped him put on the black hanbok that was prepared just for this day, the day he'd be meeting his future wife for the first time. He knew nothing of her, just that they were promised to be married even before they were born. In order to keep the kingdom strong, it was his duty to make alliances, even if that meant marrying someone he had never met. He played with a loose string, a million thoughts running through his head. What did she look like? What is her personality like? Is she funny... stuck up? What if we hate each other?

His thoughts were cut short when his father had entered the room. "The princess and her father are almost here, I just got word from the guards in the city that they had just entered." He smiled at his son. "Don't worry. View this as your first duty for becoming king. If you don't like her that is what the concubines are for," the king let out a hearty laugh and slapped his son on the back. 

Baekhyun let out a nervous laugh. Concubine? He pondered on the idea of making Seonyi his second wife, but decided that the position would be too lowly for her. She deserves someone who actually loves her and puts her first. She is also not of the right status to take on the position of a king's wife. This is when he hated the importance of ranks and social classes the most. He couldn't even tell Seonyi the truth about his feelings because they wouldn't matter. Baekhyun couldn't change the fate that has been set for him since birth, but he made the choice not to feel sorry for himself. He decided to go into this meeting with an open mind. How bad could she truly be?

A light knock was heard on the door. "The princess has arrived your Royal Highness. She's in the courtyard when you're ready."

He took a deep breathe and stood up, allowing the maids to take a final look. When they deemed him ready they stood in a line and bowed, letting him pass through. He walked with his eunuchs and higher ranking maids trailing behind him. 

That's when he saw her. Well... moreso the back of her, but then she turned around. She was more beautiful than he expected, a small smile graced her lips as she saw him. In that moment, all thoughts were wiped from his mind, including ones about Seonyi. When he got closer she bowed, "Your Royal Highness." Her voice was just as sweet as her appearance, it reminded him of a cool wind on a summer day, it brought comfort.

"Pleased to meet you princess, it must have been a long journey. My name is Byun Baekhyun, yours is?" He beemed and the princess understood why word of his good looks had reached her kingdom.

"My name is Kim Kyungmi, the Crowned Princess of the Gwangsan clan. Being able to meet you was worth the journey, your Highness." 

Seonyi was helping her mother deliver medicine to the king when she saw the encounter. They looked great together. She felt the strings on her heart being pulled, it wasn't right for her to be upset at either of them. She was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard her name being called.

"Seonyi! Come here, I want you to meet someone," Baekhyun waved her over, smiling shyly.

She scurried over and immediately bowed to both of them. 

"Seonyi, this is Princess Kyungmi. Princess, this is my childhood friend." He presented her proudly

Seonyi kept her low as a sign of respect and she couldn't bear to look her in the face. The woman standing in front of her would be the mother to Baekhyun's children, they would get to live long happy lives together. She was bitter. But, she was also too meek to do anything about it. Instead she put on her biggest smile, "Welcome to Goryeo. We are all happy to have you here."

Baekhyun put his arm around Seonyi, but was quick to receive a jab in the side. Don't do that, Seonyi mouthed. The princess was watching the two with great interest. Seonyi's presence was a noticeable threat to her future marriage. 

Kyungmi's attention was turned back to Baekhyun when he asked,"Princess. Will you accompany me to our palace garden? We had magnolias planted just for your arrival." The pink in his cheeks blossomed all the way to his ears.

"Go ahead Your Highness, I will meet you there. I would like to get to know Seonyi a little better." Baekhyun shot Seonyi a reassuring smile and went on his way. The princess watched his retreating figure and turned to Seonyi, raising her chin to look down on her. "The Prince seems to treasure you a lot, Seonyi. It worries me."

"Please don't misunderstand, princess," she bows her head, "I am merely a physician in training." The next few words that came out of pained her to the core, "There is no relationship between us that you need to worry about. I must go now. It was an honor meeting you, princess." Seonyi kept her eyes on the ground and started to walk back towards her quarters. When Seonyi was far enough away, Kyungmi gave an order to her maids, "Find out everything you can on that girl. Something tells me she isn't telling the truth." Her eyes narrowed on the fleeting figure. Nothing will stand in the way of me becoming his queen. She quickly put on her sweet smile and proceeded towards the garden where her future husband was waiting.