Resistance is futile

Til Death Do Us Part
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Upon seeing the familiar sight in her bedroom, she wasted no time and got up from her bed immediately to fix the picture frame. She came out of her room and saw the couple ready to argue with their alphabet cereals.


"Ya, ya, ya! You're missing one letter!"
"AHH Unnie! You're such a cheater!"


"THE MIIIIIIILK!!!! UGH!!!" Hitomi yelled as loud as she could, and it got the attention of the two childish girls. The two girls just stared at her, surprised by the fact that she shouted something so random.

It was enough to distract Yuri, who was still pouring the milk in Yena's bowl even after Hitomi yelled at them, causing the bowl to overflow make a milk mess.

"Ya, ya, ya! Yuri-ya! What are you doing? You just made a mess with my cereal! Look at all this milk you spilled! " Yena said in a loud voice.

Yuri turned red, embarrassed by her clumsiness in front of Hitomi. Yuri bowed to Hitomi and said, "Sorry Hitomi, I'll clean this up with a mop right now."

But Hitomi didn't care enough to listen to what Yuri had to say. She was stunned by what happened.

It changed.

Yena did not hit Yuri's arm this time. Yuri was able to pour the whole bottle of milk into Yena's bowl; she didn't drop and spill it like the previous two days. Instead of the two of them running to get the mop, it was only Yuri who went and left Yena at the table by herself.

It's different now, and I changed it.

Hitomi went over to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. She looked at the calendar on the table top: October 21. She leaned on the counter and silently went over what she knew about her situation.

This is my third time reliving this day. The first two were eerily similar to each other, but that might have been due to me sticking to what I did on the first time. I always wake up at 10:06 AM, and the day ends when Chaewon gets in an accident in front of the bakery.

Today, I managed to change the outcome of Yena and Yuri's playful fight because of something I yelled. That means...

I might be able to save Chaewon.

The idea of saving Chaewon by changing today's events gave her a feeling of excitement. She giddily walked back to her room to get ready. As she passed by Yena, she playfully slapped the older girl's arm and said "Thank you, unnie! Wish me luck!"

Yena rubbed her arm and stared at Hitomi with a confused face and said, "What was that for?"

Hitomi just waved her arm without turning back to face Yena. She didn't even hear what the older girl said; she was too busy making a plan on how to stop Chaewon from dying today.

***

Hitomi got off the bus and looked around. Everything was the same as what she'd seen before. She saw the corgi family again; the couple still trying to walk their tired dog. She turned to the side and caught a glimpse of a kid on a bike speeding towards her. She immediately jumped out of the way to avoid the approaching biker. Hitomi was safe, but not so much the old guy behind her. The biker collided with the old guy, causing both to hit the ground.

Hitomi wanted to help the two crash victims up, but she was too surprised by the new sight.

I just moved to one side and it changed everything.

"Be careful kid! Tch. Kids these days...", Hitomi heard the hobo yell before she went back to flipping her coins again. Weird, she said the same thing. But she's a hobo anyway, I should expect her to be weird.

***

"Hiichan! I'm really sorry for what happened yesterday! It's all a big---"

Hitomi went up to her girlfriend and kissed her. She already knew what Chaewon was going to say, and she also knew what to say to win Chaewon's heart again. But when she saw the love of her life die in front of her twice, she figured she didn't want to waste time on meaningless words. Chaewon meant the world to her, and she'll do everything to save her from dying again.

After they broke the deep kiss, Hitomi pulled Chaewon into a tight embrace. The Japanese girl tried to hold back her tears as she said,

"I'm sorry. I love you...

And I missed you so much."

At this point, Chaewon did not care if there were people staring at them. She returned the embrace and patted her girlfriend's back lightly. She had no idea why Hitomi was behaving like this, it's only been a night that they've been apart. She came to the conclusion that what happened last night might have hit Hitomi a lot harder than she thought. Chaewon felt apologetic, yet thankful that Hitomi was in her arms. She was that precious to her.

Hitomi, on the other hand, was thinking about what she could try to do differently from her dream and kissing and hugging Chaewon seemed like the best way to shake things up, not that she complained. I hope she doesn't think I'm being weird.

They chuckled as they let go from the embrace and sat down to eat their lunch.

***

"Let's go, Hiichan?" Chaewon asked after they had paid their bill for the lunch. Chaewon noticed that Hitomi was looking out the window as if she was looking for something after she finished her food.

"Are you okay, Hiichan?"

"Huh? Yeah, I'm fine," Hitomi responded, not taking her eyes off the street.

Hitomi had been looking for the kid with the ball, who was the primary reason Chaewon gets into an accident. Since Chaewon was ready to leave, Hitomi assumed that the girl would be out there somewhere walking clumsily w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter