Beginning of the end

Til Death Do Us Part
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hitomi jolted awake. The sun was up and its light was shining upon her startled face. She looked at the clock said it said 10:06 AM, which was later than her usual wakeup time. Good thing I don't have work today, she thought to herself.

She rubbed her eyes and got out of bed. While she was walking to the bedroom door, a fallen picture frame on top of her shelf caught her attention. She picked it up and saw that it was a picture of her and and her girlfriend Chaewon on their first official date at Namsan tower. It's been almost a year since the picture was taken, but to Hitomi it felt like yesterday. However, the thought reminded her of what really happened yesterday.

Hitomi walked in on Chaewon and Minjoo in a cafe downtown, all smiles while drinking milk tea. What angered Hitomi more was seeing Minjoo's arm around Chaewon's waist and her girlfriend didn't seem to mind at all; they didn't even notice that Hitomi was there.

She made her presence known by kicking one of the chairs to the floor and storming out of the café. Thankfully, there weren't a lot of customers so it wasn't that embarrassing. She hated Minjoo, she also hated Chaewon, but the person she hated most was herself. She felt like she wasn't able to give Chaewon enough attention since she needed to work two jobs to get her through school and rent. Maybe I can't make her happy anymore.

She heard rapidly approaching footsteps, which made her turn around. It was Chaewon, wanting to explain what happened in the café.

"I'm sorry, Hiichan. It's not how it looks like! Trust me," Chaewon said in between pants, her eyes on the verge of tears.

"I... I... Need to think this through," Hitomi stuttered as she turned away from Chaewon and walked home.

She had a lot of thoughts that night, as well as sobs and wails. Chaewon called later that night and asked to meet at Hitomi's favorite bakery at noon, an invitation which the Japanese girl accepted. Her weakness was bread after all, and her girlfriend knew that.

However, the phone call did not put an end to her thoughts. It was at 3 AM that Hitomi managed to sleep, and it was the reason why she woke up late.

Seeing the picture on top of her shelf gave her clarity and the answer to the question she had been asking herself all night long. She placed it back on top of the shelf properly with the picture properly displayed.

I don't want to lose you, Chaewon. I'm going to make this right.

She came out of her room and saw her two roommates, Yena and Yuri, bickering at the dining table. They were trying to stop each other from forming words with their alphabet cereals, whatever it was they were trying to spell, Hitomi didn't care. This was a normal day in this household.

"Ya, ya, ya! You're missing one letter!" Yena said as she put her spoon inYuri's bowl and gave it a swirl to disturb the shorter girl's work. Yena was 2 years older tham Yuri, but it wasn't obvious. Her braided black hair made her look like a baby, and her attitude right now didn't help her look older either.

"AHH Unnie! You're such a cheater!" Yuri responded by taking the milk container and pouring more milk into the older girl's bowl. As a reflex, Yena swatted the milk bottle away from Yuri's hand, which caused her to drop the bottle and spill the remaining milk, leaving the two staring at each other in silence.

They were about to flee the scene of the crime, but they saw Hitomi looking at them with an expressionless face. She didn't need to say anything to tell the couple that they were in trouble.

"Hiichan! G-g-good morning! You woke up late hehe... We were just getting a mop to clean this up, right Yuri?" Yena managed to ask after stuttering in fear. Yuri could only nod and immediately ran to get the mop from their stock room.

God, those dorks, Hitomi thought as she went to get a glass of water from the fridge. Milk mess aside, Hitomi was glad she lived with the couple. They never failed to cheer her up when she was down, albeit unknowingly sometimes, just like their bickering from 5 minutes ago.

She looked at the calendar on the table top. It was October 21st, 8 days before their anniversary. I should probably look for gifts and make plans soon.

----

Hitomi got off the bus and walked to the bakery where she will be meeting Chaewon. She was determined to apologize to her girlfriend for her overreaction yesterday, but she wanted to do it in a cool way so she looked at her surroundings for inspiration.

She saw a couple taking their corgi for a walk across the street from her, but it looked like the dog was tired so the dog mom picked the corgi up like a baby and continued with their walk. Awww, how cute.

As she was busy admiring the dog family, a kid in a bike was struggling for control and was speeding towards her. The kid was going too fast on the sidewalk, and he lost control when he avoided a squirrel that suddenly jumped down from a tree. Hitomi was rooted on her spot, not knowing what to do but to wait for the impact. Thankfully for her, the kid managed to swerve at the last minute and avoid Hitomi, but not the lamp post.

"Ouch," the kid grunted. Hitomi ran over to check if the kid was okay, and she was met with a thumbs up from him. He got on his bike again like nothing happened and went on his way.

A hobo, who was seated a couple of yards away from the kid's crash site, yelled, "Be careful kid! Tch. Kids these days..." The hobo returned to what she was doing prior to the incident: flipping the coins that she got from good-hearted commuters and passersby.

With that, Hitomi thought of the cool line she would use for her apology.

***

Hitomi walked in and saw Chaewon sitting in one of the bo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter