Face.

Love From Afar & Love Returned

 

   Man, being late to bed is one thing, but being late to a meeting with your boss is a whole different story. This has been a bad habit since, well, birth. I mean, seriously, I was a late baby. It’s not like I intentionally arrive late to everything, it’s just... I don’t really know. I can hardly think of anymore excuses.

  I was leading the file out of the CEO’s office. I really need to get into shape. My legs are still tired and my lungs feel like they’re filled with lead. Even with all this training, I’m still as unfit as an elderly person. I felt a tap on my right shoulder.

  “Hi,” said one awfully tall boy (or man) in Korean. “So you’re the infamous Lu Han.”

  “I’m sorry. What?” Infamous? My Korean may be a bit on the downside, but I understood that ‘infamous’ does not mean the same as ‘famous’.

  “Oh. Sorry. Korean isn’t your first language. Hi. I heard that you’re – “

  “No, I understood you perfectly fine. No need to patronise me.” I shrugged him off and hastened my pace.
   God. I’m probably overreacting, but I really hate people who think I’m incapable of understanding them. I’m not an idiot and I’m not a tourist. Treat me like you would to anyone else, and I’ll be nice.

  “Sorry.” The tall boy meekly added from behind me. I shouldn’t be y to him. I mean he’s going to be in same group as me. I might as well try and get along. Maybe tomorrow.

  Funnily enough, I ended up being the first person to be seated in the van. Maybe this is the start of a change in events. Maybe I’ll start being early for once. Doubt it.
  Only six- seats were available in the first van, so the latter half (who were late, hehe) had to sit in the other one. It was a normal black van, with heavily tinted windows and a roomy interior. I’m starting to feel like a real Idol now. I sat at the back on a window seat. The tall boy from before was next to me in the middle. He seemed distant, scooting over as much as he can to the other side. A quiet laugh escaped my mouth. The boy looked at me weirdly. He probably thinks I a bit deranged.

  In the beginning, the car ride was more silent than an empty room. However, everyone slowly began to make conversation, and budding friendships were formed.

  “Hyung~ Stop it!” Tao exclaimed in good humour to Chen, the boy on his other side, who was poking Tao’s ticklish sides. After spending twenty minutes in the car, I began to learn the names of my bandmates. Well, at least half of them.
  Tao, the tall boy who approached me before, turns out to be younger than me by a few years. Fantastic. He’s at least half a head taller than me. Stupid puberty. Tao looks scary, his eyes seem to pierce through your soul, and he knows martial arts and swordplay. But he’s a real softie inside. Easily teased and just as easy to talk to. Chen, the boy next to him, is also younger than me but the same height as me. I seriously don’t get why I’m so short. He seems nice enough.
  The other three boys in the front, chatted amongst themselves. Apparently they knew each other from their trainee days. It’s funny how I’m now saying ‘trainee days’ like it was years ago. Things move on.

  I didn’t contribute much to the bonding session. They all had this weird look towards me, like something was on my face. It was like they were afraid to talk to me. Maybe they saw me shrug Tao off before and thought I was unapproachable. That reminds me...

  “Why did you call me infamous?” I honestly and sincerely asked Tao.

  The van went quiet. Even more quiet than it was before. I looked around. They were all looking out the window. Tao looked nervous, making sideway glances to Chen for help. Great.

  “Uhh....” Tao started. I obviously caught him off guard. I think I caught everyone off guard. “Well... no reason... I think.”

  The van went quiet again. Nobody moved. Everyone was still, like they were getting their picture taken. The only thing moving was the city-landscape rushing past in the window.
  Tao was a bad liar. I felt sorry for him, though. I guess I was a bit too bold and sudden.

  “Oh, okay.” I didn’t want to victimise him anymore, for the sake of his dignity.

  The rest of the car ride was awkward, quiet and downright the worst thing I’ve ever experienced. I shouldn’t have opened my stupid mouth.

                                  ~

  Our van arrived first, the other was only a few minutes behind. Arriving at our dorm was more relieving than letting go after having to hold your piss in for a day. The apartment was huge. At least thirty stories high. I wonder if we get the penthouse, or at least a good view. Then again, how do they expect to fit twelve boys into one apartment room? Why am I beginning to dread living with these people? I put my black beanie on, shoving all my hair underneath. I didn’t have time to tidy up my bed-hair, so I might as well hide it.
  We waited outside with our luggage for the other van. Sore for sitting down so long, I decided to walk around the building for a bit. I need to know my surroundings first. Maybe a few places I can hide out, away from the ruckus of living with eleven other boys. There’s a park, directly behind the apartment. It wasn’t anything special. A set of swings, a slide and a park bench. Looks pretty secluded too. I start to walk towards the swing, until I heard footsteps behind me.

  “Uhh...Hyung,” It was Tao. “the van is – “

  “Got it. Just leave my bags at the reception. I’ll meet you guys up there later. I want to stay out here for a bit” I interrupted. I wanted to save him the trouble of having to talk to me.

  “Okay... But how... would you,” Tao was stammering, and it was annoying me. “How would you know what room we’re in?”

  “I’ll ask.” I started to walk towards the swings again.

  “Umm....okay.” Tao said, almost inaudibly, before running away. His long legs were a blur as he ran. Why do I do this to myself?

  It’s cold. The sky is a murky concrete, littered with patches of sunlight seeping through. The air is cold, but feels dank. I never much liked the air in Seoul. The air feels so thick and polluted. Back at home, the air was crisp, clean, pure, untouched by man. I guess I’m a little homesick.
  And so, I swung, swung higher than I’ve ever swung before. So high, there were moments of free falling. I’m not scared. I live without fear of wind or vertigo. I let out a hearty laugh. Tears began to well up in the corner of my eyes and I don’t know why.

    ~

  The receptionist was nice. She understood my accented Korean with relative ease, even replying back in Korean. I like her.
  Turns out our room is on the top level, the penthouse. Man, SM Entertainment sure knows how to pamper their groups. I got my bags and headed to my room.

  I did not expect the apartment to be so damn luxurious. Is it an apartment, or a hotel? I’m not so sure anymore. I opened the door to our room. Holy crap, this place was huge. The door opened up to a huge living area, white fur rug, a large L-shaped lounge, a mounted LCD television, a balcony with outdoor tables and chairs. The room smelt clean. Shoes of various sizes, colours, styles were haphazardly dumped at the front door. I couldn’t even walk, let alone take my black boots off. Sighing, I paired up each shoe and arranged them neatly along the way, out of anyone’s way. If every single person is as this messy, I think I’ll be moving downstairs to the park and sleeping on the bench.
  Setting my bags to the side, I opened the door to the balcony and gazed at the view. Yeah, we got a nice view. Everything seemed so little and crushable. I bent down and let half my body dangle over the edge, arms hanging on either side of me, blood rushing to the tips of my head.

  “You're going fall.” Said a voice behind me.

  “I don’t care. I’m not scared of wind or vertigo.” I snapped back, still hung over the edge.

  “Heh, you really are Lu Han the Beast,” chortled the boy.

A beast? How does he even know me? Am I that infamous? For what? I really don’t know.

  “You don’t know who I am.”

 He laughed. “I don’t have to. Rumours spread faster than wild fire,”

  I got up, felt the blood rush back down to the ends of my body and then got dizzy. The boy was leaning on the balcony door. He towers over me in height, has a pony tail, pale skin and a very handsome face. He looks like a sculpture, chiselled into perfection.

  “Name?” I inquired with all seriousness. The sculpture lifted his eyebrow. “You know mine. Let me know yours.”

  “Wu Fan” He replied with a straight face. “Call me Kris.”

  So he’s another Chinese group member. This is going to interesting.

  “So, Kris...” I began, as I turned away back to the balcony view. “Why am I such a beast?”

  He laughed.

  “Well this is only between us Chinese trainees. So the others won’t know. Rumours say that you’re one hell of a person. Amazingly talented, has a voice of an angel and the moves of a devil. You may look baby-faced, but nothing about you is anything like that. They say to never get on your bad-side or your good-side, because, either way, you’ll treat them like trash. I don’t say I strictly believe them, since this is the first time I’ve met you, but rumours are always somewhat true.”

  I don’t know how to react. Was I really like that? Was I a to everyone? I guess, somewhere in the back of my head, I knew it. Surprisingly, I found it really hard to care about those rumours. It wasn’t a big revelation for me. I always found myself not caring for others feelings and all that jazz.  I just never knew that people hated me for it.

  “Is that so?” I said coolly. I turned around and walked past him without looking back. “Which room is mine?”

  “Your room is second to the right,” he replied.  “And his name is Kim Jong-In.”

  Great, a roommate. Turns out there are only six bedrooms and we all have to pair up. Carrying my bags, I dragged myself to meet this Jong-In character. He better not be annoying and talk incessantly. At least he’s Korean. He won’t know of the beast inside of me. Stupid rumours.
  Down the corridor, most of the doors to the bedrooms were wide open. I could see everyone sort out their things, placing their clothes on racks, putting pictures of family up on the dresser. I don’t think I can handle having to share a room with someone.


  So here I am, in front of the second room to the right. The door is closed. The only thing I can hear is the slight rustling of bags being shifted and clothes being folded. Sighing, I opened the door.

  “Oh, anyohaseyo,” said this Jong-In guy as he deeply bowed from his position. “Umm... sorry for the mess,”

  “Hi. It’s fine.” I replied.

  I don’t remember seeing his face at the initiation meeting earlier. Must have been out of my line of sight. He looks... weird, and gives of this weird vibe too. Maybe weird isn’t the right word. He has thick lips, tussled black hair and round almond eyes. Something about him puts me on edge.
  I walk to my side of the room. It was simple. Two single beds on either side of the room, a table, and built-in wardrobe. Rather bland, really. I began to unpack my things.

  “Umm...So what’s your name?” said Jong-In.

  I snickered. “You mean you don’t know who I am?” I teased mockingly, even though I know he wouldn’t have heard the rumours.

  “No... I don’t. Am I supposed to?”

  I’ve never done a prank like this before, but I’ll give it a try. “Henry. I’m Henry”

  I’m lucky the guy can’t see my face right now, because I’m smiling like crazy.

  “Oh... Hi. You’ve got the same accent as some other hyungs,” Jong-In said awkwardly.

  I don’t know why I’m lying about my name, but the prank won’t cause any lasting impact. He’ll find out who I am, eventually. I compose myself and turn around to get a better look of this guy. He looks away immediately.

  “That’s cool. So where’s the bathroom? I need to shower.” I deadpanned as I began to take my beanie off.

  “Uhh, it’s straight down the –“

  Jong-In stopped. He was looking at my bed hair, with his mouth slightly open. Was it really that bad? Damn, I thought my beanie would at least have flattened it out. Did he have to be that obvious and stare?

  “What? Do you have a prob –“

  “Lu Han.”

 

_________________________________________

 

Man, this was fun to write. I never intended to characterise Lu Han like a cold, . It just sorta happened. Sorry if this displeases you, but author's say rule over yours (only joking).

I'm not sure when im going to be updating next. I'm in my final year of school, and things are getting hectic. Please be patient and hype this story to others :)

 

Remember to leave your thoughts and comments below. Criticism will be welcomed with open arms and cookies.

 

PS. i think i might be experimenting in the future with a chapter on just dialogue. I'll see. I might pull one out of my when I'm busy.