Chapter 2

Won't Ask You to Wait
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Does this look okay?”

 

“Joohyun-unnie, that’s literally the fifth time you’ve asked me that.”  Seungwan walked over to her roommate who was looking in the full-length mirror, worry etched all over her face.

 

“Is it too much?”

 

“No! It took us two hours to pick out this outfit. You aren’t changing it now!”

 

Joohyun continued to scan over her reflection, picking out every minuscule imperfection. “Seungwan, what do I do?”

 

Her roommate headed to the closet and grabbed a matching set of earrings and a necklace. Returning to her friend and offering a reassuring smile she whispered, “Here, put these on and then we’ll finish your hair.”

 

“But what do I do?”

 

Seungwan turned to the older woman until they were face to face. “You go to dinner, you have a blast like you did last time, and, most importantly, you get Seulgi’s number before you come home or else I’m changing the locks!”

 

Joohyun laughed and looked down at her fidgeting hands. “I wish you were coming with us.”

 

Seungwan scoffed. “And fifth-wheel you group of lovebirds on a Friday night? Absolutely not!”

 

“I’m not in love.” Joohyun went to the bathroom to finish her hair while Seungwan busied herself with cleaning up the pile of “no-go” outfits.

 

“Sure thing, unnie,” Seungwan replied from the other room. “If what Sooyoung told me is true, it won’t be long until you are.”

 

A blush covered Joohyun’s face as a small smile tugged at her lips. She looked at herself one final time before going back to her room and seeing a waiting Seungwan.

 

“Wow,” was all her roommate could say. Joohyun went for an all black look that night—black blouse, black skinny jeans, and black heels—all accented by her gold necklace and earrings with her straight hair cascading around her shoulders.

 

“How do I look?” she nervously questioned.

 

“Unnie, you’re beautiful.”

 

“Is it too much?”

 

“You’re perfect, unnie. Now, get out of here and go have some fun.” Seungwan dragged her roommate through their apartment to the living room where Sooyoung was already waiting.

 

“Wow, unnie, you look great! Seulgi-unnie won’t know what hit her.” Sooyoung beamed with pride at the older woman. 

 

“Thank you,” Joohyun muttered, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, blushing once again.

 

“Are you ready to go?”

 

Joohyun nodded and turned to Seungwan one final time. “You sure you can’t come?”

 

Seungwan shook her head and said, “Someone has to work and pay the bills around here.”

 

The two other roommates rolled their eyes at Seungwan and said their goodbyes before heading out.

 

Seungwan walked over to the window and when she saw her roommates exit the building she opened the window. “Yah, unnie!” Seungwan called from their second story apartment.

 

Joohyun turned around and looked up before shouting, “What?”

 

“Have fun tonight!”

 

She smiled. “I will.” The women turned back around before walking again.

 

“And unnie?”

 

“What?” Joohyun was getting slightly annoyed now.

 

“Don’t forget to get Seulgi’s number!”

 

Joohyun scoffed and rolled her eyes as Sooyoung cackled next to her, the two women finally entering a cab and heading out into the night.

 

*

 

It was no surprise the restaurant was packed on a Friday night, but Joohyun and Sooyoung got a table without any trouble (“Yerim’s got favors from everyone,” Sooyoung explained to a concerned and confused Joohyun). As the two chatted and waited for Seulgi and Yerim to arrive, Joohyun’s mind began to wander as she nervously scanned the people around her.

 

Alright, Bae, stay calm. This isn’t a real date! Relax!

 

Wait.

 

I’m sitting across from Sooyoung. Yerim will sit next to her which means Seulgi will sit next to me and—

 

“Stop it.”

 

Joohyun blinked as Sooyoung snapped her back to reality. “Stop what?” she questioned.

 

“You’re overthinking this.”

 

“No I’m not.”

 

“Whatever you’re denying, I’ll bet you dinner you’re lying,” Yerim chuckled as she and Seulgi joined the table. She gave Sooyoung a quick kiss before sitting next to her as Seulgi took the seat next to a slightly blushing Joohyun, casually placing her hand on the back of Joohyun’s chair.

 

“Hey,” Seulgi greeted, a smile overtaking her features.

 

“Hi.” Joohyun could barely breathe as she stared at Seulgi, taking in everything about her, from her straight hair, to the way she shrugged off her jacket, to the white blouse tucked into her black jeans. She was breathtaking. “It’s nice to see you again.”

 

“And it’s always nice to see you, especially when you look this beautiful.” Joohyun could only blush more at the compliment as Seulgi’s eyes scanned over her. Her eyes darted to the the hands fidgeting in her lap as she mumbled a quiet, “Thank you.”

 

“Alright kids, enough flirting. I’m hungry.” Yerim’s eyes poured over the menu as the group began discussing their dinner options. Seulgi grabbed a menu as well before smiling over at Joohyun.

 

“What sounds good for you tonight, Joohyun?” Seulgi leaned over towards the older woman as she showed her the menu. “I’ve never been here before so I don’t know what’s good.”

 

Joohyun glanced quickly at Sooyoung and Yerim for help, receiving two smiles and a thumbs from her roommate, before boldly placing her hand on Seulgi’s arm, eyes now scanning the menu in front of her. “I really like ttoekbokki. And this restaurant has some of the best. But, really, anything is good with me.”

 

“Ttoekbokki it is, then!” Seulgi smiled and called the waiter over to order. When Sooyoung and Yerim were ordering she turned back to Joohyun. “Ttoekbokki is one of my favorites too, but I haven’t found anywhere in New York that really has good ttoekbokki. I’d never give up a chance to have authentic Korean food while I’m here.” She flashed her heart stopping smile as Joohyun’s own smile grew and her arm wrapped further around Seulgi’s arm she didn’t even realize she was still holding.

 

“Can I ask you a question?” Joohyun asked. “It’s been on my mind since we last talked and I can’t figure it out.”

 

“Oh boy, should I be worried?” Seulgi jokingly responded, causing both women to laugh.

 

“No, of course not. It’s just, you said you’re in graduate school, right?”

 

“Right.”

 

“It’s October, which means you should have classes right now.”

 

“And you’re wondering why I’m here in Korea instead in class in New York, right?”

 

Joohyun nodded shyly before shrugging. “I’m truly just curious. I don’t mean to pry.”

 

“No, it’s okay, Joohyun. I don’t mind at all.” Seulgi sipped her water before explaining. “I’m in my final year as a graduate student so all I’m really doing right now is independent research for my thesis. I’m actually not enrolled in any classes right now. I guess I needed a bit of a mental break before tackling my thesis in the spring.” The food arrived and, unless Sooyoung had said something, the older two probably wouldn’t have even noticed.

 

“It’s amazing that you’ve worked so hard for so long. I can’t imagine how tiring all that schooling is.” Joohyun finally released Seulgi’s arm as she dug into her ttoekbokki. “So, you start back up in the spring?”

 

“Yep! I’ll be spending three weeks in Spain and then three weeks in France for more research and some lectures. Then I’ll write my thesis and, if all goes well, I’ll finally be done!”

 

“You’re incredible,” Joohyun whispered mostly to herself, but as Seulgi’s face burned bright red she realized she wasn’t as quiet as she thought.

 

*

 

“Do you think they even remember we’re here?” Yerim asked quietly to her girlfriend.

 

“Probably not.”

 

“How can someone only look at one other person for so long?”

 

“It’s disgusting if you ask me.”

 

“Why don’t you ever look at me like that?” Yerim asked with a pout.

 

Sooyoung smiled before responding. “I do, my love, you just don’t see it.” She snu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter