one.

FATE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ringlets of smoke evaporate into thin air as he exhales, lips slightly apart as he takes one more breath from the cigarette . his mind is completely blank, with only the sound of minimal traffic from afar and the sound of occasional footsteps from the distance. jeon jungkook knows that it’s a dangerous thing for him to be in such a plebeian part of town, especially considering who he was, but he finds himself relishing in the fact that he’s not known at all. 

 

“are you lost? stop running away we can help you.”

 

his head turns towards the sound suddenly piercing through the initial minimal noise, noticing two drunken men chasing after someone more smaller. brown eyes probe the situation, noticing how different the girl was dressed compared to the girls who’d usually hung around that side of town. chest and legs covered and a tote bag tightly wrapped around her shoulder. jeon jungkook curiously waits for her to speak, but she doesn’t seem to defend herself or deny their requests instead fastening the pace just a few metres from him. the other two men, drunk off their heads don’t seem pleased by her lack of attention. 

 

“you dumb don’t you have any manners, we’re talking to you do you think you're hot or som—”

 

he finds himself running over to her, fingertips between hers as he holds her, stops her in her track and watches carefully at the red in her eyes and the tears fallen down her cheeks. 

 

“babe, did you wait long?” he finds his mouth moving on their own accord, “… sorry i’m late let’s go.”

 

he doesn’t waste a moment to interact with the two men, only hearing some slurred muttering under their breaths as he pulls her away from the area walking towards a nearby cafe that was surprisingly still open despite being eleven at night. 

 

“are you okay?”

 

she nods. 

 

“are you hurt?” 

 

she shakes her head no. 

 

and he knows that he should end things right there and then, before the possibility of being spotted grows too high too take back. 

 

“alright, i’ll be going now. there’s a lot of cctv cameras in the area so if you want to report things to the police i suggest you do so as soon as possible. i’m sorry for what happened.” 

 

he’s quick to turn, not wasting a moment to bow or make any final glances at her before he feels her fingers wrapped tightly around his wrist. 

 

“please let me repay you,” her voice is smooth and gentle despite being shaky, “… for saving me.”

 

“there’s no need to,” he insists genuinely, lips pressed together as he takes one final look at her, “… just be more careful around here at night it’s not safe.” 

 

“i’d feel uncomfortable if i let a good deed go so easily so please,” her words hit his ears and feels like a gentle cloud tugging at his chest, “… will you at least let me buy you a hot chocolate? we’re here anyway, and i promise it’ll only take a couple of moments if you’re busy.”

 

he is. 

 

jeon jungkook has to be up for practice in six hours and ready for a radio interview in ten. 

 

and suddenly there’s sweat on his palms. 

 

she’s looking at him almost intrusively, as though she were searching for a problem that he’d had the answer to. 

 

“how about pizza instead?” 

 

he knows he’s in trouble. 

 

but he accepts it willingly. 

 

the woman nods before adding, “… only if you’re a pineapple on pizza kind of guy.”

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“i’m chaeyoung, by the way.”

 

he almost feels a whiff of bliss pass through him at the words as she reaches for her wallet, quickly requesting for the bill from the waiter.

 

“it’s nice to meet you, chaeyoung,” he responds carefully, “… jungkook.”

 

she holds out her card, except he quickly interrupts and requests for the waiter to take his in which the waiter comments how it’s so nice to see that chivalry isn’t dead. park chaeyoung blushes and when the waiter leaves, she quickly reaches for a few bills and puts it on the table between them. 

 

“it’s on me, remember.”

 

she’s firm. 

 

he hadn’t met someone like it. 

 

honestly, a part of him wonders if it were fate that the pair were able to meet in such unusual circumstances, especially considering how it was so unlike him to step into situations of potential confrontation. 

 

to see how organically they’d click however, and how evident his attraction to her was, felt like something truly new. it was easy for someone as reticent as him, to open up to her about his fears. and with the same ease, she was able to accompany his worries with words of reassurance. 

 

he felt at p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter