Chapter 4

INVISIBLE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

invisible

Chapter Four

 

 

“Yena unnie, are you okay?” asked Hitomi as she waved her hands in front of her friend.

 

But Yena wasn’t responding. In fact, she was still in the same position she was ten minutes ago, lying on the bedroom floor, eyes shut with her tongue sticking out. Hitomi knelt down and looked at her friend closely. She grabbed her shoulder and shook her slightly.

 

“Hey unnie-

 

She stopped when someone suddenly poked Yena’s cheek.

 

“She’s just shocked, I guess I’m still… invisible,” said Chaewon as she wiped her finger she used to poke Yena on the bedsheet.

 

Hitomi turned to look at her in disbelief.

 

“Are you really… invisible?”

 

Chaewon sighed and turned around. She didn’t even look at her. She pulled the blanket tighter around her body.

 

“Bu-But that is impossible! If you’re invisible, then why I am able to see you?!”

 

Chaewon shrugged.

 

Hitomi shook her head, “You can’t be invisible! It’s just not logical! I can see you! I can see you so what does that make me?!”

 

“Say something! Why I can see you but Yena unnie can’t?!”

 

Chaewon scoffed and looked at Hitomi, startling the latter.

 

“What do you want me to say?! I don’t know why I’ve became invisible! I woke up and suddenly no one can see me!”

 

“No one… until I met you,” she added slowly.

 

They both looked at each other, not saying anything. Hitomi noticed Chaewon’s furious gaze slowly turned soft, and soon tears were b in her eyes.

 

“I… didn’t ask for this to happen to me… I don’t know why…” she muttered.

 

Tears escaped her eyes but she quickly wiped them to protect her pride. She turned around, with her back facing Hitomi.

 

“Maybe… you’re dead,” Hitomi said suddenly.

 

Chaewon turned around almost immediately.

 

“What did you say?”

 

“I said maybe you’re dead. But you didn’t realize it. That’s what always happens in the movies,” said Hitomi.

 

Chaewon scoffed, “Yo-You can’t conclude my death based on movies’ plot, you geek!”

 

“It’s just a theory. You know some movies actually based on true events…” she said.

 

Chaewon rolled her eyes, “Oh please, I must know if I’m already dead! I woke up from my bed perfectly fine and then-

 

“And then people can’t see you because you’re a spirit. Maybe your body is still in your bed. Dead.”

 

“I’M NOT DEAD!”

 

“Okay, maybe you’re not dead yet. I think you’re in a limbo, cause you’re in a coma caused by an unknown brain tumor or something.”

 

Chaewon looked at Hitomi and raised an eyebrow, “Is that possible?”

 

“Who knows,” replied Hitomi shrugging.

 

 

 

“There’s just one way to find out.”

 

 

 

**

 

 

 

Hitomi couldn’t hide her awe since she stepped out of the taxi with Chaewon. She had never been in this area of Apgujeong, since she never had the reason to do so. It was an area filled with new luxurious residences. She had no choice but to follow Chaewon back to her home since the taxi driver refused to drive without a passenger.

 

Chaewon gave Hitomi her resident’s pass so that they could get into the area without problems. However, they were stopped at the guard house and Hitomi was asked a few questions. Hitomi claimed that she was Chaewon’s new personal assistant.

 

“Let’s see if your theory is right, bread face,” said Chaewon as she opened the door of her penthouse.

 

Hitomi followed her into her home and was once again shocked. It was so huge but it was a mess. Things were cluttered on the floor. There were pieces of broken mirrors too. She tiptoed carefully, not wanting to accidentally step on the broken glass.

 

“This is my bedroom,” said Chaewon as they both were standing in front of a door.

 

Her hand was clutching on the knob, but she didn’t turn it. She gulped and looked at Hitomi.

 

“What’s wrong?” asked Hitomi.

 

Chaewon’s lips were trembling as she asked, “W-What if we really find my body in there?”

 

She gulped again, “What if I’m really… dead?”

 

“Bread face, I don’t want to die yet. T-There are still so many things I want to do…” she continued, her voice cracking.

 

Hitomi bit her lip, not sure what to do. She knew she had to comfort her but she didn’t know how. Suddenly she reached forward and held her hand. Chaewon looked at her, shocked.

 

“It-It’s going to be okay…” she said, stuttering.

 

Realizing Chaewon’s stare on her, she let go of her hand.

 

“Whatever we’re going to find in there, we shall see it together…” she added.

 

Chaewon snorted.

 

“What? Are we acting in a low budget romantic film? Stop it. Don’t even put you and me in a same sentence. It’s gross.”

 

Hitomi looked at her incredulously, “What?”

 

“Just because we’re in this situation now, it doesn’t mean that there’s ever going to be anything between us. Not even friendship. I wouldn’t talk to someone like you under normal circumstances,” replied Chaewon with a snort.

 

Hitomi shook her head, “Is that how you said thank you? I let you stay at my place and saved you from the cold and wild dogs and this is all you’re going to say?”

 

“I’ll pay you the rate. Double or triple, I don’t care. I can pay you.”

 

Hitomi scoffed, “This is not about money!”

 

Chaewon reached into her purse and took out five hundred thousand won. She handed it to Hitomi arrogantly.

 

“Here, this should be more than enough. I don’t owe you anything now.”

 

Hitomi looked at the girl in front of her and gritted her teeth. She pushed away her hand and the money were scattered on the floor. Chaewon looked at her, her eyes widened.

 

“What are you doing?!”

 

“I don’t want even a won from someone like you. Your money… is gross.”

 

“Hey-

 

Chaewon paused when they heard the beeping sound from the front door. They looked at each other, both shocked.

 

“Chaewon unnie, are you at home?” asked a voice.

 

Hitomi panicked, “Who’s that?”

 

“I think that’s Yujin. You have to hide! I can’t be associated with someone like you!”

 

Hitomi scoffed, offended, “Seriously?”

 

“Just hide somewhere!”

 

Hitomi looked around her and turn around in circles, “Hide where?!”

 

“I think Chaewon is not at home,” said another voice.

 

They heard footsteps getting nearer. Chaewon grabbed the doorknob and pulled Hitomi into her bedroom. She quickly shut

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter