Chapter 3

Let Them Know

The next few days were comfortable for Lucas. Friends and family would visit him every now and then. He would sneak out to see Yuqi still unconscious, a few minutes after visiting hours were done. He would sit beside her bed, waiting for her to wake up as he tells her stories to keep himself busy or he would just stare at her until he fells asleep.

 

Some days, his manager would scold him for getting off his room and there are days when he would be scolded for a different reason. His manager and company personnel would often remind him to think about companies like Dispatch. What will come about his reputation? He already stirred a commotion with his 'heroic act' and now he wants to be a 'caring friend'?

 

Lucas sighs as he rests his head against the wall. Can't they just leave him alone? This is suffocating him. Besides, what was he supposed to do? Stare at the ceiling until he rots?

 

But during those times, Lucas was able to think about what he did and especially, how he feels. He knows that he would still help even if it was not Yuqi. One thing he could not understand is the extent of what he did. Why did he went under the stage, risking his life, for a person he barely spends time with even if there was obvious help coming?

 

Another sigh escapes his lips. Tomorrow, Lucas is scheduled to be discharge and go back home to his family in China. It's such a pity that he hadn't had the chance to talk to Yuqi despite all the times he'd snuck out.

 

Oh, Yuqi.

 

He heard from the nurses that she woke up the day before yesterday. Of course, as soon as possible, he had to rush to her, to check on her but his manager has a different plan.

 

Groaning, he sits up and calls s. The call lasted for a long time as he catches up with his friends. They would repeatedly tease his actions and call him names, careful not to mention the accident. Then, it was time for both parties to hit the hay.

 

With unfruitful effort to lull himself to sleep, Lucas gets off from his bed and went to a room he's always at. Room 327. Yuqi's room.

 

Due to habit, Lucas opens the door without knocking as he calls her name. He steps in and there she is. She's currently sitting up in her bed, gazing out the window. He breathes in the image he is seeing. Yuqi's finally awake.

 

"Yuqi." he calls out softly.

 

With the mention of her name, she whips her head towards him and he found himself catching his breath. She's not wearing the thing that was connected to the oxygen tank displaying the features he wasn't able to appreciate. She's all patched up, having a broken arm, a broken leg, and a bruised and cut body. Despite all this, oh how beautiful she is in the moonlit room.

 

"Lucas."

 

His heart races faster and his body starts heating up, and he can feel the tips of his ears redden. What is this? Feeling awkward, he coughs releasing the tension and evening his pulse.

 

"How are you?"

 

"Good, I guess." she smiles.

 

He walks towards her and sits on his usual chair. Lucas is so relieved on the difference of this night that he might actually cry. They spend the night talking, sharing stories, and catching up with each other. At some point, he was smiling at her as he holds her hand. At some point, they were sharing a silence, staring at each other. Lucas has never felt relieved and happier. Probably even more than when he found out he would be discharged tomorrow. His soul, now that he's with her, is calmer than ever.

 

As he skips back to his room, he suddenly stops in the middle of the hallway with a realization hitting him bullseye, his reddening ears and increasing heart rate supporting it.

 

I love Song Yuqi.