A Letter from the Past

Sad Love Notes

 

Characters: Dara (2NE1), Sungmin (Super Junior)



 

Lie lie lie lie lie
Da geojitmal
Lie lie lie lie lie
Moduda
Lie lie lie lie lie
Ijen

 

The song played after I pressed a series of buttons on the control panel. Another heartbreaking song requested by an avid listener. I wistfully took off my headphones as I saw the head writer wave at me and told me to go out for a second.

 

“Sungmin-ah, here’s the script for today’s broadcast,” she said as she handed me the script they have prepared for days. This broadcast was in commemoration of the first anniversary of our radio show, Love on Letters.  My segment showcases letters coming from listeners. Their letters either talk of their unspoken love, their current relationship and sometimes, their intention to break up with their partner.

 

I still can’t believe that I, Lee Sungmin, have been dubbed VJ Prince for a year now. But that was not the only thing that was marked for a year. At the same date last year, my long-term girlfriend, Dara walked out on me and our relationship. I haven’t seen her or heard from her since.

 

I sat back on my chair when the song was about to end and put on my headphones back. I cleared my throat when the ‘ON AIR’ flashed green. I started to read what was indicated on the script.

 

“Good evening, everyone. I’m VJ Prince and I welcome you to another hour of ‘Love on Letters’. We would like to thank each and one of you for being with us for a year now. In behalf of the staff, we thank you all.”

 

I flipped the pages back and saw a hand-made envelope squeezed in between. I was surprised to see one because the trend had already shifted to e-mails and actual letters have been so rare. Whoever sent this must be thinking of someone special, I thought as I carefully opened the envelope. I drew a deep breath and continued.

 

“For our first year special, here is a letter from one of our subscribers. I haven’t read it but I can tell you that this is something worth listening to.”

 

“Dear listeners, let me read you this letter…” I began. I finally opened the letter and saw the date. It was dated a year ago. But what surprised me more was to see my name written on the letter. From my headphone, I can hear the radio director frantically urging me to go on. I hesitantly started to read but I was too terrified my voice would crack up. Fortunately it didn’t. I read the letter, but my tears began to build up and were threatening to fall any second as I read its contents.

 

Sungmin-oppa,

 

Annyeong. It’s me, Dara-yah.

 

Dara? But how? It’s been a year since she left, and this letter that I’m holding has been dated a year back. Did she write it after she left me? I can actually hear her voice, as if she’s the one saying it me.

 

Do you still remember how we met?

 

I do. I still do.

 

It was on the exam date of the university we both went to. You gave me your extra registrar pass.



 

 

I remember that day like it was yesterday. Dara and her friend were seated behind me and my buddies. We were talking about the probability of passing when I heard her friend say, “Don’t worry. They never check passes.”

 

“Are you sure?” Dara asked nervously. Her friend assured her that it would be okay. Dara finally relaxed.

 

The room hushed instantly when the proctors started to enter the room. “Those who doesn’t have a registrar pass, kindly step out of the room now.” one of the proctors said and the room was filled with sounds of everyone rummaging their bags or getting out of the room. Dara was about to stand up when I decided to give her the extra pass I have.

 

“Here,” I said as I handed her the pass. She took it gratefully, and she sat back to her desk.

 

“Thank you.” I heard her mumble. I turned to her and gave her a smile.

 

“You owe me coffee for that.” I said. She laughed and said, “I don’t even know your name.”

 

“Lee Sungmin.”

 

“Park Dara.”

 

The moment I heard her name, I fell in love. The coffee we had together that afternoon was the beginning of my relationship with her. After a year of courtship, we became a couple and had been ever since.



 

My tears began to fall as I continued to read her letter. Dara kept asking if I remember our first date, the time I told her I couldn’t ride a bike, the time we got soaked in the rain while on a date and the time when she almost passed out laughing after I sang and danced.

 

It was our last date, isn’t it?

 

Yes, it was. A week after that, she left. I was left alone without any knowledge why she would just leave me like that. I took it hard, and somehow I vented my attention to work. I felt like for every letter I read, I feel closer to her. And now I’m reading hers.

 

Mianheo. All you gave me were great memories. I’m very grateful for everything you did for me. Every moment I spent with you brought me nothing but happiness and comfort. Still I left you. I’m really sorry.

 

I can feel the staff staring at me, but I don’t really give a damn. It seemed to me that Dara’s letter brought me in world of my own. But what caught my attention was the next paragraph of her letter.

 

To tell you the truth, I left you because I’m sick. I’m slowly losing my memory, and it will just be a matter of time before I completely forget about everything. My sickness takes away the memories of love and I don’t want to lose you. They wanted me to take a surgery, but even that won’t assure I’ll be normal again. It scared me. What if I totally lose my memories of you? I don’t want to leave but I won’t let myself be a burden.

 

So that explained it--why she can’t remember simple things, and why she usually spaces out. There were times when she can’t even remember what I just told her. I always thought it was just stress. I never knew it was much worse.

 

Don’t worry though. Your memories will forever cherished by me. Again, I’m sorry I left.

 

I wish you every happiness in life. Live well and be healthy.

 

Saranghae, I really love you. Please remember that.

 

Sending you my love that goes beyond forever,

 

Dara

 

When I finally finished reading her letter, my face were streaked by tears. A song played in the background and I slowly came back to my senses when the title of the song hit me. It was ‘Sorry Sorry’, the song I sang for her.

 

Without warning, I shot out of the room and demanded from the staff the whereabouts of the person who sent the letter. “She’s been in the waiting room the whole time, Sungmin.” I bolted out of the room, and pretended not to hear them calling me.

 

I opened the door and it was not who I expected it to be.

 

It was not Dara. The woman in front of me was someone I don’t even know.



 

“You must be Sungmin. I’m Dara’s nurse in the institution.” The woman explained to me what happened with Dara. Apparently, after Dara left me, she went to an institution outside Seoul, and lived there. She explained that while Dara still has her memories, she entrusted that letter to the nurse, giving her instructions to give it after a year.

 

“Is she still there?” I asked her, still hopeful. She nodded and I begged her to bring me to Dara as soon as possible. We left the building that instant.

 

After hours of drive, we finally reached the hospital. It didn’t look like one; instead it looked more of a vacation resort. “It’s for the patients to feel a lot more comfortable,” the nurse told me. She ushered me into the room, and I finally saw Dara.

 

She was sitting on the balcony with a sketchbook resting on her lap. I slowly approached her, and Dara stood up. The sketchbook fell on the floor and I bended down to get it. I flipped the pages, only to see my face, getting fewer details as I scanned the whole book.

 

Her face didn’t even show any recognition. I’m completely erased from her memories. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I gave her the sketchbook. She reached for it, and thanked me.

“Do I know you?” she innocently asked. I nodded, unable to speak because I was choking on my own tears. She looked curiously at my tears and reached to wipe it.

 

“What brought you here then?”

 

I sniffed and tried to smile. “A letter from the past.”

 

She smiled back and said, “I love letters. Will you read it to me?”

 

I nodded, and started to read the letter from the past that brought me and my love back together, even if the memories had already faded.