(メ ̄▽ ̄)︻┳═一 (8)

Let's Kill Her (Book 1)


Later that evening I sit in front of the fireplace in our room on an ancient-looking rug with trees. I watch the fire pop and dance over the logs and lift my hand to lightly touch my bruised eye. The strong-smelling poultice the nurse left on my face all day brought down the swelling, but I'm positive I'm going to have a black eye for a good two weeks. If people weren't gossiping about me before, they will be.

I've decided to talk to Kang tomorrow. They might not have a phone here, but there has to be a way to get in touch with Appa. There's no chance he would want me staying at a school where students attack me in the middle of the hallway and teachers expect me to hit them in retaliation.

I look up at the dark wooden clock on the mantel, which looks like cuckoo clock without the cuckoo: 11:54 p.m. I'm positive that sneaking out right now is a bad idea. But I'm also positive that I just got er-punched for some mysterious reason and if I don't go meet Sehun I may never know the truth about this place.

Sejeong's bedroom creaks open for the first time all night. As far as I can tell, she's been avoiding me, and I just keep hoping she hasn't decided I'm too big a liability.

"I didn't know he would do that," she says quietly.

"What do you mean?" I say, turning toward her.

She holds her door open but doesn't actually come into the living room. "When I said Jungkook was all bark, I just want you to know that I had no idea he would hit you."

My brows scrunch together, pulling at my sore face in the process. "I didn't think you did."

"Well, I didn't," she says resolutely, and exhales.

"Do you know why he did it?" I ask carefully.

She shakes her head and her hair shimmers in the firelight. "Anyway . . . good night," she says, and disappears back into her room before I can get another word out.

I stare at her closed door for a few seconds after she shuts it. In the short time I've known Sejeong, I can tell that's all the information she's going to give me, maybe all the information she has.

It's 11:59 p.m. I drum my fingers on the rug, hesitate, and jump off the floor. I'm not going to just sit around waiting for someone else to attack me. I'm going to get some answers.

I pull on my boots and tie my cloak around my shoulders. It's bulky, but it's also black and will help me blend into the low light. I lift the latch on the door as gently as possible and crack it open. The hallway's empty and everything's quiet. I slip out, closing the door gently behind me, and book it down the hall. I stop by the staircase and look down it. It's mostly dark and there are no sounds of movement. Although I wish my heart would shut up so that I could hear better.

I take the steps quickly, pausing periodically to listen for the guards, and walk along the wall toward the first-floor entrance. I grip the cold stone and anxiously peek around the edge of the archway. There's a guard in front of the door that leads to the vine courtyard. Did they already change post?

As I pull back from the archway, my shoulder collided with something. My mouth opens but a hand presses over it before I can make a sound, and someone turns me around. For a split second utter panic flashes through my body, until I make out Sehun staring down at me in the near blackness. He's so close that I can smell the scent of fireplace on his cloak. He puts his finger to his lips and then points toward the entrance hall. We look again just as the guard is opening the door to go into the very courtyard we were supposed to meet in.

Sehun holds up his hand, folding his fingers over one at a time. Five, four, three, two , one. He walks straight for the door, silently, at full speed. Oh, this is such a bad idea. I can't believe I'm doing this. Sehun pushes midway through the room and gives me a demanding look. Someone clears their throat a flight or so above me.

- another guard!

I'm out of that stairwell and headed for the door so fast you'd think I was on fire. Sehun carefully lifts the latch and we slip through. The courtyard door closes just as the other guard walks out of the very stairwell we were just in.

Sehun grabs my shoulders and pull me to a stop before I can take another step. I can't see a thing, not one thing, and I don't dare move.

Sehun takes me hand and lifts it. My fingers graze fabric that feels similar to the blackout curtains that hang on all the windows in this place. They must pull them across the doorways at night to prevent any light from showing when the guards go in and out.

We stand there for a few long seconds before Sehun finally pushes aside the fabric. The soft glow of the moonlight shines through the tree branches and my tenses shoulders relax a bit. The air is cold, but the smell of trees is reassuring familiar.

I have to run to keep up with Sehun as he weaves around the low-hanging vines. He stops in front of an impressively large trunk on the opposite side of the courtyard and begins to climb one of the vines. I watch as he hoists himself onto a branch about twenty feet above me, and I can't help but be impressed. I follow him up and he offers me his hand, but I shake my head and pull myself onto the branch next to him. He takes a good look at the trees around us, then back at me, and we climb again, up and up.

Sehun stops at two branches that have grown so close together they've melded into a bench. The bottom branch is wide enough that I can sit cross-legged on it, leaning my back against the trunk. Sehun lets his legs dangle over the side and swings them, like he's never been more comfortable. If I'd ever found a guy in Jeongseon who could climb trees and shoot arrows the way he could, not to mention possessed the general elegant beautifulness he has going on, I would have proposed then and there. Why is it that the good ones also have an Old-World-assassin-creepy-analysis thing about them? It's the one of those mysterious the world may never solve.

He speaks then, keeping his voice quiet. "The acoustics are very good here. We're in the middle of the three courtyards, not near any rooms and far enough off the ground not to be heard as long as you don't raise your voice. I sometimes think it's the only truly private place on the entire campus."

I smile, my heart still racing happily from the climb. "You were right. This is fun." My breath puffs out in a white cloud and I realized how much I needed this bit of adventure right now.

He watches me for a second. "You grew up near a forest?"

I hesitate. The moonlight reveals enough detail that he could probably see by my expression whether I was lying. And besides, telling him there was a forest near my home doesn't really give anything away. There are a zillion forest all around the world. "I did. It was right at the edge of my backyard."

He nods. "Sejeong told my only things on the tour you seemed to show an interest in were these courtyards."

I figured she told him as much. "Yeah, but even growing up near a forest doesn't mean I could make a climb like that. What made you think I could?"

He raises a brow and tilts his head like the answer is obvious. "Because you're at this school, for one; athletic abilities are a given. And because I heard about the way you out-smarted Jennie."

Sejeong really does tell him everything. "All right," I say. "Since you already know so much about me, why don't you tell me a few things?"

He leans against the branch lazily and turns toward me. "What do you want to know?"

I catch myself smiling and consider how to approach all the questions I have without revealing how much I don't know. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that being clueless at the Academy is the sam as being vulnerable. "Tell me about the Families here."

He looks amused and I'm relieved that at least my question makes sense to him. "Now, that's broad topic."

"Then tell me how the Families formed twenty-some hundred years ago," I say, recalling the bits of information I got from my interview with Yoo.

He laughs. "You sneak all the way out here at night, risking marks, to ask me to tell the origin story? Don't you think you should use your time wisely?"

I shrug, like it's no big deal. "Look, I know . . . I have lots of other questions. Lots. But when I was in Yoo's office, he made me feel like I don't the history nearly as well as most of the kids here. And I want to be able to keep up in my classes. So just humor me," I say, putting on the persuasive voice I use to try to talk to Jisoo into doing things she doesn't want to.

Sehun looks at me for a second and his eyes seem to be asking a question. "I guess a deal's a deal," he says. Then he sighs and leans back, putting his hands behind his head. "The original three Families formed in an age where power and conquest were supreme. The Families started simply as key advisors and friends who had the ear of the king" - he touches his own chest - "the emperor" - he gestures at me - "or the lord. And these advisor influenced the ruler's decisions. But word of these invaluable advisors eventually spread, and the leaders of the other civilizations targeted them in attacks. What better way to weaken the emperor then to eliminate his wisest counsel?" Sehun smiles to himself, as if ancient assassinations were a good thing. "And so the rulers in the different empires started hiding these men and women. And before long, the secrecy these advisors utilized became their greatest strength." Sehun pauses and looks at me.

"Go on," I say, not sure what to make of the fact that if what Sehun is saying is true, then the students here must be able to trace their lineages back to the time of the ancient dynasties.

"Over the next few hundred years, these secret advisors became more abundant and honed new skill sets. They not only counseled, but they also collected information, poisoned adversaries of the rulers, and helped to infiltrate other empires. As as show of gratitude, they were give properties, wealth, their own crests - with animals as the central figures, of course. The only things the advisors didn't possess were proper titles, but behind closed doors they were commonly referred to as the ruler's Family."

"Families" with animal crests. If I learn nothing else form this conversation, at least I have a starting point for understanding where Jackal came from.

"Over time the Families grew less dependent on the ancient rulers and began serving their own agendas," Sehun continues. "They built their homes in secret locations, they elected their own governing councils, and they even worked with Families from other empires to bend and shift historical events to their will." As Sehun talks, it's hard to ignore the enthusiasm in his voice, like he's been telling stories his whole life."

I catch myself leaning toward him and readjust. "Are you saying they were less dependent on the rulers or decided that they were strategically superior to them?" I ask.

Sehun smiles. "Well, perhaps a little of both. The rulers probably thought they were in charge at that point, but let's be realistic. Vincit qui se vincit."

"Beauty and the Beast," I say.

"Huh?" Sehun says, and take his hands out from behind his head.

"Vincit qui se vincit - 'he conquers who conquers himself.' It's etched on the stained-glass window in the Beast's castle," I say.

"Seriously?" he asks. "You're referencing a fairy tale?"

"An animated movie," I correct him, and he gives me a puzzled look, like I might be from another planet. "But I didn't mean to interrupt," I say in a rush. "Please finish your story."

Sehun sits up a bit, and I can tell he's trying to sort something out about me. He's silent for a couple of seconds and then clears his throat. "So, as you know, the ancient civilizations eventually became too big and too politically complicated. They collapsed one by one. But by this time, Stragetia had evolved, and as the great civilizations broke apart, Stragetia saw the opportunity for true independence. Over time Korea divided itself into smaller empires and the Families splintered off into further provinces - Gyeonggi province became the Tigers, making up the modern SK territory, the Gangwondo became the Eagle, Jeju became the Turtles, and the Gyeongsang became the Foxes. Though, of course, these days you'll find Family members in all countries and provinces all over the world. We've gone global, as it were." He smiles.

I concentrate on what he's telling me so hard that I'm sure my face looks strained. So there are the three original Families and then the three newer ones, but nowhere in there did he mention Rose's animal crest. "And the Jackals?" I interrupt.

He raises a brow at me. "Thought I was going to miss a detail, did you?" His expression turns mischievous. "No one's sure exactly when or where the Jackals formed. They're the rebels of Strategia. They didn't originate in any one country but are though to have come together from everywhere, and to have formed their own coalition independent of bloodlines. And like the animal they chose for their crest, they prefer to live in small groups. They proudly lack the organization the rest of the Families enjoy. Now, of course, it took centuries before Strategia formed their own united nation, if you will, known as the Council of Families, to establish a central order. Around 500 CE was the very first time members of all the Families came together. It didn't take long before the Council agreed that passing down centuries of acquired knowledge could never occur in typical ways. And that bring us to the glorious Academy you have joined," he says, and spreads his arms out, gesturing at the courtyard.

I chew the inside of my cheek, fascinated. So assassin and spy weren't wrong, they just weren't right. Whatever these Families are is far more complex than that - they're nothing short of an ancient secret society that quietly pulls the strings behind the scenes in Korea and the world. But the part that I can't get good with is why my family would put me here with all of these secret society kids. I'm from Jeongseon. I drive an old truck with a worn bumper stick that reads I'M ONLY SPEEDING BECAUSE I REALLY HAVE TO POOP. And the most mysterious thing about me is whether I'm going to bring lunch to school or walk to the rice cake place, on God.

"Well?" Sehun says, and I realize that I'm frowning into the dark branches.

"Right . . . thanks. That helps. I just . . . Stupid Yoo, trying to make me doubt myself," I say, and force my face to relax. I press my thumb into my palm.

"Something else you want to ask?" Sehun says, watching my hands.

I stop what I'm doing and casually rub my hands together instead. "Tell me whatever you think will keep me from getting punched again."

His expression turns serious and he nods, like I'm finally asking the right questions. "See, that's the thing. Sejeong and I weren't sure why that happened. You Korean-Americans have always bickered among yourselves. I'll admit that it's dramatic sometimes, but ultimately you all look out for each other. I tried to ask Jungkook, but he wouldn't say a word. The only thing I can gather is that it was personal and important."

"But I never even talked to him!" I say, frustrated. Again with the unspoken rules of this place. How could it have been personal when Jungkook is a total stranger to me?

"Yeah, but that doesn't exactly matter. All the members of a Family are entwined whether they want to be or not," Sehun says. "Eagles especially."

The longer I look at him, the more serious I realize he is. I get that he's saying the Americans are Eagles, but what I don't get is why he's implying I'm a part of that Family. I mean, the eagles were eomma's favorite in the stuffed animal game we played, but that's not hard evidence that it has anything to do with me. Is it? My heart starts to race.

When I don't respond, Sehun starts talking again. "All I know is that Jungkook radiated frustration. His fists were clenched the entire time Kang was talking to him." Sehun pauses and looks off into the trees for a moment. "The interesting thing was, thought, I think he respected you."

I take a breath and attempt to calm myself down. "Why would you think that?"

"Because he lifted his chin," Sehun replies. "Classic sign of deference to an opponent in battle."

I choose my next words carefully. If Sehun thinks I'm flustered, he may start questioning me instead of the other way around. "So besides Jungkook, are there any other Families I need to avoid?"

Sehun raises a brow, like something I said was off. "You need to pick your allies for yourself. But as Sejeong has already told you, it's generally not smart to trust a Jackal, especially coming from an influential Family like the Eagles. There aren't many Jackals here, but they always seem to make their presence known. And their alliances are unpredictable."

I measure my voice to hide my flurry of concerns. The only thing worse than the upside-down feeling potentially being a member of a deadly secret society I know nothing about is these assassin-trained kids finding out how ignorant I actually am. "What about Jimin?"

"Ah, Tiger. His immediate family used to be quite powerful, from what I hear, but lost standing some years back - hence his alliance with Rose and that Turtle."

"Lisa?"

Sehun reaches up and rests his arm above his head. "Right. Those three aren't the norm. No one is quite sure what the long-term goal of their alliance is. But if you ask me, Jimin has been in love with Rose for years, even though that's never going to happen. And Lisa uses Rose as a mouthpiece so she doesn't have to deal with the rest of us."

"Makes sense," I say, even though sense is the last thing any of this makes. I need time to think over that game I played with eomma, figure out what else I know that I didn't realize I did. I remember the Family descriptions perfectly, but not all of the complexities of their relationships.

"And your Family?" I ask.

He gives me a quick look, like I'm asking an obvious question. "You know I'm a Wolf. But look, I think I can simplify this. Instead of going through all hundred students one by one, why don't you just tell me where you stand?" He says this last bit casually, but I have a gut feeling that it's significant.

"Stand?"

"For, against, or neutral?" he says, emphasizing each world in such a way that I'm sure he's asking me something important, something I should know.

"You're going to have to spell it out," I say carefully, aware that he's watching my every move. Although I don't know why I'm surprised that Sehun had an ulterior motive for inviting me up here. Everything about him screams strategy, and the worst thing is, I knew that the minute I laid eyes on him. I could kick myself for thinking otherwise.

"Are you trying to make me think you're not involved in Family politics?" He's still lounging, but his eyes are focused.

"I'm not. I mean, not that I know of," I say as neutrally as possible, wondering if I'll regret my answer but not seeing a safer alternative.

His voice is smooth and steady. "That makes no sense. You came in late, midsemester. Rose sought you out. Taemin challenged you. Jungkook punched you."

"See? Your guess is as good as mine," I say.

He's silent for a second, studying me. "Either you've suddenly become a good liar or you're telling the truth. I don't knock which is more believable."

It has to be better for him to think I don't know about Family politics than for him to catch me lying about what side I'm on, despite the fact that I don't know what the sides are. I lighten my voice. "Believe what you want."

He shakes his head. "There's something more going on here. Something you don't want me to know . . . And don't think I missed that there was also something about that origin story that bothered you." He scans my every feature, taking his time reading me, and making me wish I had somewhere to hide. "What are the Eagle Family attributes?" he asks suddenly.

I attempt to unclench my shoulders. "What are the Wolf Family's?" I shoot back.

"Intuitive. Loyal. Diligent," he says without pause, an answer that - I remember with a jolt of recognition - is exactly what we used to say in the game I played with eomma.

I smirk to keep the mood from becoming too serious. "Loyal to who?"

"Ah, isn't that always the question?" His eyes look mischievous, like I just became his new favorite game. "Now . . . what are the attributes of the Eagle Family?"

I maintain eye contact with him though my heart is pounding. "Determination. Protective. Courageous."

"Hmm," he says. By the look he's giving me, it seems he finds something about me suspicious, but from the way this conversation has unfolded, he also assumes I know way more than I do, making him less likely to guess the truth.

"Here's the thing," I say as nonchalantly as I can. "The origin story was really just a test to see how you were with history. The reality is, I came in late and missed two and a half years of history class. I just want to make sure I'm keeping up." Less is more here.

Sehun shifts his position on the branch. "Well, now, things just got interesting. Are you asking me to tutor you in Family history?"

"You're a strong analyst and a good storyteller," I say truthfully.

He smiles. "Flattery will get you everywhere. But what do you have to trade?" Something in his expression relaxes and a bit of warmth leaks through his usual focused intensity.

I hesitate, not only because I'm not sure how to answer, but because I find it hard not to smile back at him. "What do you want?"

"Information," he says. "What else is there?"

Crap. I don't know what I could possibly tell him that would be valuable. And if I do know something worth telling, would it even be safe to tell?"

"Like for starters, how you got into this school so late," Sehun says, and tilts his head expectantly.

I stay still, hopeful that he'll read my expression as indecision instead of ignorance.

He smiles. "Look, you were paired as my sister's roommate. That's not an accident, because nothing at this school is random. It's likely that we're alike than not."

No wonder everyone advised to just stay quiet. I suddenly think Lisa might be the smartest person in this whole school.

After a couple of seconds of silence, he starts talking again in an upbeat way. You're probably wondering where the Academy is located, right?" He adjusts his position again so that he's looking directly at me. "Everyone who comes here wonders that. It doesn't matter how much we were trained to never mention this place. Curiosity is human instinct, especially for Strategia. The Council of Families knew this, and after a few failed attempts in other buildings where the school's secrecy was breached, they settled on this location. Additionally, they came up with an elaborate camouflage system that has kept the Academy hidden for more than a thousand years. Can you even imagine?" Sehun shakes his head. "Now, the most common guess somewhere near Korea, based on the seasons and the foliage match so many places it's not funny. There is every likelihood that the school was built to look like it's somewhere in Korea because that is exactly where it isn't. Everyone here speaks both English and Korean now, but that wasn't always the case. You'll find that students here stop asking these questions after their first year because it's futile pursuit. If some of the greatest minds over the past thousand years haven't figured out our location, you won't, either. And besides, there is nothing to gain by knowing where we are. You only put yourself and all of us in danger."

He pauses to make he has my attention, which he most certainly does.

"The analytical minds and ambition that drive us to figure out the school location also make us look at history differently. In history class we're not just learning dates and events. We're taught about our Families' greatest victories and most catastrophic failures. And not the wya we learn about Family origins as children. The lessons are broken down to illustrate specific strategy and maneuvering details, and the deeper you look, the more you see patterns. At first you don't think much of it, but then, all of a sudden" - Sehun snaps his fingers - "it clicks. You start seeing the cyclical nature of historical events - because you never stopped to consider that a member of your own Family was not only responsible for those events, but was strategically maneuvering them."

Sehun gestures with his hands, and his expression is more animated than I've ever seen it. "Take Pope Gain the Eighth, for example. After he decided that cats were associated with the devil worship, he had them killed in droves throughout Korea, right?"

I nod, vaguely recalling this from world history class.

"But because he took away the rat's natural predator, medieval Korea found itself with an overpopulation of rats, resulting in nothing less the plague, which killed twenty million people." Sehun shakes his head, as if in disbelief. "We see that misstep as obvious now, looking back. But what is unique about studying history here is that you realize our Families saw it as obvious back then and tried to stop it. When you're paying attention, history isn't linear; it's a web of interrelated events, each domino toppling the next. You learn to predict instead of react. It's the backbone of everything we do at this school. If you can figure out what someone is going to do, not just in a single moment, but five steps down the line, you can be effective."

His enthusiasm is infectious and I find myself nodding. How could twins be so entirely different? He's talkative. Sejeong's not. She follows the rules to the letter. Sehun seemingly breaks them every chance he gets.

"For my part of the deal, I'll give you highlights, make it easier for you to stop embarrassing yourself," he says with a smirk.

"I'll think about it," I say, even though I know I probably won't get a better offer. I just have no idea what I'll trade with him or how everything I've heard tonight makes sense with that I know about my own family - who are clearly not who I thought they were."

"Hey, look, it could be worse. You might have been paired with a different roommate and not had the good fortune to talk to me," he smiles.

Again, it's pretty much impossible not to smile back at him. "Is that so?"

He lean toward me. "Who else in this school would tell you secrets?"

"And who else would encourage me to break all the rules?" I say, matching his playful tone.

"Speaking of which, it's time to go," Sehun says, sliding off the branch and onto a smaller one below.

"You're kinda good at that," I say climbing down to meet him. "I'm better, but you're still good."

Sehun nods approvingly. "Do that. Exactly that and you'll survive here." Then he grabs the branch in front of him and swings down to a lower one.

I mimic his move, but using one hand instead of two.

He laughs and so do I.

"Race you down?" he says, and before he gets to the end of his sentence, I'm already moving.

He grabs the vine I'm hanging on and yanks it toward him. I put out my hand to stop us from colliding and wind up with my palm on his chest, which I can't help but notice is muscular. I can feel his heart racing underneath his linen shirt.

His whispers in my ear, his breath warm on my cold skin, sending goosebumps down my neck."The guards are about to make their rounds again. And just before they do, we'll stand on either side of the doorway and tuck ourselves behind the curtain. Then as the guard parts the curtain to exit, we'll slip behind him along the wall into the recessed doorway. As long as you don't make any noise or pull the fabric, we'll go undetected."

All my thoughts of our nearness, his breath, and his chest under my fingertips disappear and I drop my hand. "That's a terrible plan," I whisper back. "Why can't we just wait for the guard to clear the courtyard and then sneak behind the curtain?"

If we do that, we won't have enough time before the next guard takes up the post at the door."

"I thought you said they cut the number of guards at midnight?"

"They never cut the number of guards," he whispers. "That's just when they rotate. Their stations are reduced because they're in motion, not because they're off duty."

I pull back and look at him so that he can see that I think he's an for misleading me. He winks and lowers himself silently, hand over hand, down the vine before dropping the last few feet onto the lawn. I do the same and reluctantly follow him to the heavy fabric shrouding the courtyard door.

He stands on one side and I on the other. I imitate his movements and tuck myself behind the curtain, pressing my back flat against the uneven stone wall, trying to stay as far away from the arched doorway as possible.

A minute ticks by and my breath slows, but my stomach does constant somersaults. The comes the sound of a latch lifting, and instantly every hair on my body stands at attention. The door clicks shut and the fabric moves. I slide into the archway and hold my breath in the darkness, afraid that if I even blink, the guard will hear me and skewer me with a sword. Not that I've ever seen them with swords, but still.

Five horrible seconds pass before Sehun opens the door. I practically trip over myself to get inside. The moment the door closes I start to run for the stairs, but Sehun pulls me to a stop. He pushes my hair back and cups his hands over his mouth and my ear.

"You'll get caught that way. Take the far right hallway all the way to the end, and then take that staircase up. Stay against the left wall." He pulls my hood up over my head and releases me.

I take off without pause, my boots making a muffled patting sound against the stone. The hallway Sehun told me to take is almost entirely shadowed, making it hard to see. As much as I'd like to maintain my sprint, I slow to a jog to silence my steps. Appa always said if you're rushing and making noise you'll completely miss what's going on around you. I hug the left wall just like Sehun said. And even thought it's cold, my hands are sweating from the spike of adrenaline.

Halfway down the long hallway, the shadows ahead of me appear darker, different. I pause and steal a glance over my shoulder. No one is there and everything is still. I squint at the shadows ahead, trying to make sense of the dark shape. It doesn't appear to be moving or giving any indication that it's animate, but there also shouldn't be anything on the floor of this hallway. Sejeong took me through it earlier and it was completely empty - no furniture, no rugs, no curtains. I inch forward, keeping my steps perfectly silent.

For the last couple of feet, I hold my breath. I tentatively nudge the long shape with my boot, and it gives slightly but there isn't a sound. I bend down and squint in the dark and that's when I realize what I'm looking at. Feet. My boot touched someone's foot. Oh no. No. I rub my eyes. This can't be right.

I inch along the body, my pulse drumming furiously in my temples. From what I can tell from the clothes, it looks like a guy, lying on his back. And there's something . . . Omo, I think. It's a knife. A knife is sticking out of his chest. As I continue to stare, I notice that the entire front of him is dark, but the student uniform shirts are white. . . "Blood," I breathe almost inaudibly. My throat is dry.

I knell down next to him, my knees nearly giving out, and I force myself to stretch a hand toward his neck. My fingers are shaking when they find it - cold skin, no pulse. His long blue hair sticks to his cheeks. Long blue hair . . .Omo, it's Jungkook's friend from the dining hall. I look around me for an answer, for help. There's nothing and no one. Dead. He's dead. My mind loops the realization and my vision blurs. For a moment I think I'm going to pass out.

I open my mouth to call of help but freeze before a sound escapes my lips. There is no one to call. If I run to get a guard there's every possibility they'll think I did it. Not to mention the eye-for-an-eye punishment system here. I take one more desperate look around, like an answer might somehow pop out of the shadows.

I shake my head, trying to get my bearings. I can't stay here. Being caught with the body would be a thousand times worse than calling a guard. Not to mention being caught by the killer. There's no guarantee that whoever did this isn't lurking nearby.

Instantly, I have that unnerving sensation of something dangerous looming behind me, the kind that used to send me running out of our basement when I was a little kid. I stand up, feeling sick at the thought of leaving him in the dark, drenched in his own blood, bu equally terrified to stay. Who can I -

Sejeong. Sejeong will know what to do.

I run along the wall, fear pushing me forward faster than is cautious, and I into the stair well. Every detail of my surroundings comes sharply into focus, the worn third step, the oddly shaped stone by the ceiling, the silence. I methodically make my way up the stairs, listening or all I'm worth and examining every shadow.

I look around the corner at the entrance to the third floor and find the hallway empty. Unfortunately, I'm also about as far from my room as I can be. And now that I'm this close, I just have to go. Run. I have to run. I close my eyes for a second, take a breath, and bolt out of the stairwell. I slide in front of my door and fumble it open. I duck inside, my heart raging in my chest, and just as I'm closing the door, I spot the guard with the X coming up the other staircase. He makes eye contact with me as I click the door shut. !!

I lean my back against the wall, my breath fast and heavy, and stare at Sejeong's door. I open my mouth to call out for her, but I can't even think of the words to describe what just happened. I want to scream at myself for not telling her I was meeting Sehun in the first place. And now that there's a dead body, what if Sehun denies meeting me at all? She'll definitely believe him over me. Hang on. It was Sehun who told me to take that hallway. He was the one who said to keep to the left.

Could Sehun have set me up to take the fall by intentionally sending me the long way around? That guard would have caught me outright if I hadn't run the last few feet. Sehun knows their schedules to the second.

I sink to the floor and put my head in my hands. I'm so screwed.