- zero -

If We Ever
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m sorry, but I don’t think we should keep this relationship going.”

It is funny how the exactly similar heartbreaking sentence is spoken at the same time, yet by two different young boys, at different cafés in different blocks, and to different people. And what those two boys witness after that is also identical—both their lovers, or ex-lovers now, just sigh, as if they have known all along that this would be the output of their relationships, that they have expected this to happen after all. Indeed, this is not surprising at all.

“The mark hasn’t appeared, I guess? Because mine hasn’t, too.”

And the answer the boys give—

“No, and it’s been a month. I heard it’s supposed to appear the day we meet and talk to each other for the first time and look more prominent as the days go by.”

—is exactly the same, every word of it, even the tone used for every syllable. Others might think that it was purely coincidental, but to those who know them (including their ex-lovers), it is something they have remembered by heart to the extent that they do not even take seconds to reply.

How so? Because they have been providing the same statement for every break up they have gone through for years.

“Fine. I guess this is goodbye, then,” the ex-lovers smile and lean over the table to give the boys a farewell kiss—the older boy gets it on his left cheek, while the younger one has it in the left corner of his lips. When the ex-lovers finally leave the place to continue with their own lives, those boys immediately text each other, asking how the other’s break up ended.

Spring rain is still lightly drizzling down outside, considering the fact that it is almost the end of April already, but thankfully the atmosphere inside the cafés they are in is helping them to forget about the break up earlier. And as if doing some telepathy, both the boys look out of the glass window at the same time, but with different feelings clouding their hearts.

Jeonghan is certain that Baekhyun is most likely crying his eyes out now, disheartened by the fact that he still cannot find that one person who is destined to be with him until death does them apart. He knows that Yixing, his cousin’s classmate and also ex-lover, is actually a nice person, very understanding but can also be very dumb at times. Baekhyun adored Yixing the most compared to his previous ex-lovers. It is a pity to learn that the Chinese boy is not his cousin’s soulmate.

He himself, on the other hand, is not affected that much by the break up or the fact that he has just failed finding his soulmate again for the nth time. His simple way of thinking keeps telling him that he would find them at some point in life, anyways. Rushing things is never on his list. Besides, how do we chase the soulmate we have no idea about?

Jeonghan also has a group of friends that he thinks would make up for the non-existence of his to-be-found soulmate. Seungcheol, his good-looking classmate plus neighbor, is a man of his word and extremely caring, making him the dream boy of their university. Next is Seungkwan, his personal moodbooster who never fails to do his duty. Whenever the younger boy is around, Jeonghan could never stop smiling or laughing, really. And the last member of his circle is Wonwoo, his partner in crime most of the time. Wonwoo is a great listener but does not talk much, even to Jeonghan, but he corresponds to the older boy’s silly antics every single time.

So, really, Jeonghan does not think he needs a soulmate for now. What is going to change if he has a soulmate, anyways?

 

~~~

 

News spread like fire, it is pretty much true and has been proven countless times, so no wonder the break ups are heard by the majority of the students in their university in less than half an hour after it happened.

Yeap, Baekhyun has broken up with his Chinese boyfriend, Yixing, and Jeonghan has also ended things with his one-month boyfriend, Taeyong. The most wanted, gorgeous cousins are now single and looking for a soulmate again.

The most thrilling part about this whole soulmate fiasco is that you would never know if someone is your soulmate unless you cross paths with them. People say that the initial of your soulmate will mark your wrist when you first encounter your soulmate and talk to each other, and becomes clearer day by day as you meet and talk to them often. Yixing and Taeyon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter