PART I

Snowstorm

“Are you sure that you’re going to be ok, Yugyeom?” his father asked him as his mother was making sure that they had everything.

 

Yugyeom sighed and rolled his eyes. “Yes, I am perfectly sure that I’ll be alright.  I have the house phone, my cell phone, know how to cook, and know all the emergency numbers and where the emergency equipment is.  Now get going before you run into too much traffic.” he said hugging his father and then giving his mother a hug and kiss.

 

He helped them pack up the car and then waved goodbye to them as they drove off and then went back into the house, closing and locking the door.   It felt kind of empty here, but he was happy to have some time on his own.  One of his friends had been planning to stay over but had sent a message canceling to go on some trip with their boyfriend.  Yugyeom couldn’t deny that he was disappointed and envious at the same time.  It would be nice if he had a y boyfriend to go on trips with, but it is what it is.

 

Yugyeom ran his hand through his current reddish-brown hair as he stood in his livingroom and wondered what to do.  He wasn’t going out that is for sure.  The news said they were expecting a storm even though it was winter, and with no one to really call in case of an emergency, he wasn’t going to risk it.   This left ordering out and binge watching this new drama that had come out, or making his own food and binge watching that same drama. 

 

If he ordered out, then he’d have to wait for them to get there and they’d probably be busy with people who had the same idea.  Yugyeom’s lips twitched a bit and he decided to make his own food after making sure all the doors and windows were locked.   He walked into the kitchen humming some song to himself that he had recently heard on the radio, before turning on the TV in the background which happened to display the news.  The young male had missed the segment about a dangerous person who had recently gotten acquitted of all his crimes, but did catch the weather.

 

He let a long whistle come from his lips.  “Wow, that’s going to be bad.  I should probably binge watch in my room so I won’t have to go far for anything if I need it.” he said to himself as he continued working on his food.  He debated texting his parents, but he didn’t want them to worry or get caught up in an accident because they weren’t paying attention or something.

 

Yugyeom made a lot more than he would’ve normally made to cover him just in case. His room was completely decked out for a college student still living at home.  His parents had always encouraged him to follow his dreams, and offered to make living at home a bit similar to living in an apartment or dorm somewhere.  In return, Yugyeom always offered to help out whenever he could even if it meant being stuck in the house while house sitting.  After everything was done, he put everything in the dishwasher and went up to his room after turning off the tv.

 

~Six Hours Later~

 

Yugyeom found himself bored out of his mind and desperate to find a new drama to watch.  It wasn’t that he wasn’t fond of these particular types of stories, but the actors were literally dragging each scene along.  He had thought that maybe the other five, hour-long episodes would get better, but he kept wanting to sleep instead. 

 

Now, he was surfing through all the available dramas in hopes of finding something interesting to watch.  Perhaps he should see if there were any foreign dramas that were interesting or watch anime.   He had just found one that might be watchable when he heard a loud crash of thunder and saw a bright flash of lightning.   Yugyeom had near immediately hid under the covers and waited to hear the tell-tell signs of rain hitting the window. 

 

However, he never heard those sounds.

 

Confused, Yugyeom got up and went to look out the window.  Instead of the sheets of rain that he was expecting, he was treated to seeing large, fluffy, white snowflakes falling from the sky.  “Oh~” he whispered watching the beautiful storm even though he was supposed to be afraid of them.  There was something less frightening and beautiful about it.  When he thought about it, he should have been expecting snow, but all he had focused on was the word storm.

 

He got up going to the mini fridge in his room and grabbed a drink before going back to his window and watching the snowfall.  Something about it was relaxing and calming to him as he watched everything bathed in a cold, icy layer of snow.   Yugyeom was so entranced that the next lightning flash didn’t even scare him, but the sound of his front door shutting during the accompanying thunder did.

 

A feeling of intense fear made Yugyeom feel like the pit of his stomach had dropped out.  Yugyeom knew that his best friend was spending the week with his boyfriend and his parents weren’t anywhere near the house at this point.  If things went well, then they were already at their destination.   No one else would even come here or try to brave a snowstorm to get to his house.  He went to grab his phone to call the police, but was greeted with the lovely little no-signal icon when he went to unlock his phone.

 

This wasn’t good as the only other phone happened to be downstairs since everyone had cellphones on them.  His mother had just insisted that they have a house phone just in case and this was definitely a good reason to have a landline, but perhaps it would have been better upstairs for this reason.  Now he had two choices, he could A.) sneak downstairs and hope not to get caught or B.) he could hide out in his room and pray whomever broke in wouldn’t come up here.

 

When he truly thought about it, none of those options seemed to be appealing as he would probably end up running into the criminal either way it went.  On the other hand, he could end up surprising the person and maybe knocking them out while using the phone to call the police. He could tie them up while he had to wait for the police to get here if he managed to knock them out as well.  

 

Yes.  It is was stupid, but it was a plan and he really couldn’t think of any better ones.

 

Yugyeom took a deep breath and quietly moved to his desk and wrote a quick letter to his parents stating that he loved them, what happened, and that’s he’s sorry for anything he’s done to hurt them before hiding it in a place he knew they’d look.  He also quickly penned one to his best friend and left a few of things to him. Now, he could go and follow through with his plan.  Slowly, but surely, he slipped out of his room and quietly down the stairs.  Based on the noises that he could hear, the criminal was in his kitchen and rummaging through the cabinets meaning that he wouldn’t be seen coming down the stairs.

 

The male slowly began moving towards the phone when suddenly all the lights went out.  The noise in the kitchen stopped and Yugyeom suddenly couldn’t hear any movement from the one who had broken into his house.  He slowly moved towards where he knew the phone was.  It wouldn’t take long and then he could-

“Freeze.” A voice came from behind him.  

 

Yugyeom liked the tone of it and the way it was said, but this was not the time to be wondering if the person behind him was hot.  

 

“Turn around very slowly or I swear you’ll be dead in seconds.”

Another wave of fear washed through Yugyeom as he slowly turned around.   He couldn’t make out the other person’s face in the darkness, but as if the gods were giving him one last little pleasure, the lights came on.   Well… at least he was going to get killed by a hot guy, right?