Chapter 2: Jaemin

Bestfriends ☆

"Look! Jeno sent me a selfie. Looks like he's enjoying his out of town trip, aye?" The girl chuckled while fumbling on her phone

Jaemin glanced but didn't really paid any attention to what his bestfriend told her. 

"Why did he send you a selfie?" He asked, seriousness evident on his voice.

"Jealous much, Nana?" Hina teased and giggled, "let me go ahead and replied to him to send you a selfie too. To be fair." 

"Yah!" Jaemin rolled his eyes and sighed, she's so dense, he thought.

"By the way," Hina looked at Jaemin with wide-eyes, "I just want to say if we're still on for Ramen tonight." 

Hina's expression suddenly went from happy to guilty.

"Sorry, Jaemin but Koeun unnie asked me to go with her tonight for a slumber party."

"Oh." He smiled but his eyes show disappointment, "it's fine. We can go have ramen some other time then." 

"Thanks for understanding." She smiled at him and locked her phone, "I gotta go. I need to pack my things for the slumber party tonight." 

"Oh yeah. Let me walk you home-"

"No no. It's fine, Nana. I can go home by myself"

"No, I insist-"

"Really, it's fine." She stood up and was putting on her shoes

Jaemin put his arms in defeat, "no point in arguing over this" he chuckled, "stay safe, alright? Text me when you get home." 

"Will do!" She was almost outside as she turned back and waved goodbye to her bestfriend for the last time

Jaemin waved back and he stared as her figured disappear thru his doorstep. He sighed deeply again and looked up thru his ceiling, thinking about the words Jeno and him exchanged before he left for China.

"Did you already confessed?" Jeno asked him

"Not yet.. I'm having a hard time to do so." He answered, they were in a computer shop that day, it was the last day of school and Hina decided to go to the mall nearby with her friends so they just went to play games, "did you?"

"Nah-" Jeno answered and stopped when the game was over and he got killed, "dammit." He muttered and turned his swivel chair to face Jaemin, "do you know her feelings.. I mean her real feelings?" 

Jaemin sighed as he was also killed, he didn't face the black-haired boy and just stared at his keyboard while saying, "to be honest, no."

Jeno smiled, in a pitiful way, "we're such losers." 

Both of them chuckled and nodded in agreement

"All I know is... we're her bestfriends."

Jeno agreed, Jaemin faced him and smiled

"Well, I won't give up that easily just because she sees me as a friend." Jeno said and faced his computer, "may the best man wins."

Jeno then stood up and went to the counter to pay for their time playing, Jaemin was left at awe by his bestfriend's sudden words. He knew Jeno, he's not the type to give up and he's not also the type to play around, he knows he's serious about his feelings for Hina, and he can't do anything about it.

"Hey. Let's go." Jeno called him, interrupting his thoughts, "Hina's waiting for us at Baskin Robins." 

Jaemin stood up immediately and followed his bestfriend to go outside.

Renjun sent you a voice message.

Jaemin's daydreaming were interrupted by his friend's message, he quickly opened it up and listened to it. 

"Hey man! Just wanna see how you doin' are we still up for that double date tonight? I can't wait for you to meet Ningning, she'd surely be glad also to have new friends like Hina-chan. See you then." Beep

Jaemin sighed and replied a brief text message to Renjun

"Hina can't come, she has a sleepover tonight at Koeun noona's. Sorry." - Jaemin

"That was so last minute! No worries, some other time then." - Renjun

Jaemin threw his phone at the couch and sighed, it is last minute but he really didn't care anymore, it's not like this is the first time she rejected his dates.

"Hina?"

"Yes?" They were at the public library together, getting some research paper done.

"Do you have plans after this?" He asked, low enough so no one can hear them

"Why?" The girl was not looking up to meet his eyes but continued in typing.

"I was thinking if we could get dinner together, I know a place where they have the best samgyupsal." 

Hina looked at him as she stopped typing for a second, "sorry Jaemin-ah, I promised my parents to be home as soon as I finished my paper." 

Jaemin pouted but smiled immediately, nodding, "No worries. Some other time then."

Hina smiled back and continued with her work.

Jaemin sighed, and plop himself on his couch. Hina-ah, you've been rejecting me almost everytime, why can't I take a hint? He thought and heavily let out a groan. 

"Just do it, dude." Renjun eyed him

"What if she's busy!"

"You won't know unless you try! Come on, just ask her out!" 

Jaemin gulped and inhaled, "alright. Let me just sent a text first."

"Hey hina." - Jaem

"Oh hey Nana. ^^" - Hina

"Just wanna ask if you wanna go out with me and Renjun this coming Saturday night, he's gonna introduced his childhood friend who moved here from China." - Jaem

"So?" Renjun asked, Jaemin looked at him and shrugged

"No reply"

"Let's just wait first. Maybe she lost connection." Renjun assured and proceeded into playing video games

Jaemin nodded and placed his phone down to play with Renjun.

At one point, Jaemin was thinking of giving up already. Maybe Jeno was right, maybe Hina really just saw me as a bestfriend, nothing more, nothing less.

But just a simple reply from Hina that day made Jaemin hopeful again. 

"Sure. Why not! I'll see you Saturday then. ^^" - Hina

Jaemin groaned and rubbed his eyes as he tried to stretch both his arms and legs. A knock on the door was present, who is disturbing his wonderful slumber? He thought. He proceeded in standing up and opening the door and once he did, he was shocked to meet his bestfriend standing outside his dorm.

It was Jeno.