part 2

Amber's Prince
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Two weeks have never felt so long for Yifan. It’s not like he was counting the days, Yifan was quite busy during the period. But when the day finally comes, he can’t contain the excitement radiating all over his body. Of course, this doesn’t go unnoticed by Kyungsoo who shakes his head at his prince. Once a while, the prince would grin to himself and it's painful for Kyungsoo to watch.

This time, Yifan couldn’t sleep in the carriage at all. Silly, isn't it? He’s 18 years old and yet he feels like an excited child anticipating the future events in the Amber’s castle. After long painful hours, Yifan and Kyungsoo finally arrive at their destination. Again, Jongdae awaits to welcome them at the doorstep.

It’s nothing new to Yifan but Kyungsoo had the same reaction as he did 2 weeks ago. “What do you think?” Yifan asks the still gaping secretary.

“It is definitely different from the paintings.”

Isn’t that a given? Considering they've only learned the history of the Amber Kingdom which were decades ago. Since the cold war between two kingdoms, they weren't much updated about each other.

Jongdae assists them to the crowded living room where he first met the King of Amber. Only now the Amber's royalties are yet to be seen but the minute he makes himself known, Baekhyun flies past him and launches himself onto Kyungsoo.

“What a surprise! Kyungsoo came to see me!” Kyungsoo blinks awkwardly before finally registering who he is hugging with. “It is very nice to see you too, Prince Baekhyun.”

Even though Yifan is the prince, but Kyungsoo was always everyone’s favourite especially to Baekhyun. Ever since they were little, Baekhyun would latch himself onto Kyungsoo every single time the Sapphire prince comes to visit. On times when Baekhyun would cry for no reason, Kyungsoo would be the one to lull him to sleep. Chanyeol too prefers reading with Kyungsoo rather than Yifan who prefers to not read at all.

“Okay, Baek. Let them greet the others properly.” Chanyeol taps Baekhyun shoulder, making the brunet release Kyungsoo from his tight embrace. “Long time no see, Kyungsoo.”

“Would not be the case if your Highness would visit the Ruby often.” Kyungsoo reflects the taller man's smile.

While the three friends are having their own reunion, Yifan approaches the other guests. Emerald’s representative introduces himself as Jongin, a nobleman who happens to be the nephew of the king’s wife. He has heard a lot about him. Not to mention that he was said to have the most beautiful tan skin.

However, it is a surprised that Charoite sent Prince Minseok, the eldest instead of the youngest prince. Yifan is not close to any Charoite royalties but they are with his brothers. Most probably because their are much closer.

Drinks and cakes are prepared on the table so Yifan wastes no time in harbouring them all. The hours of journey made his stomach growls embarrassingly. However, the Ambers are still missing.

Not for long though as suddenly Princess Bora arrives together with another lady. She introduces the new face as the third princess, Irene, who possesses a high skill in designing despite her young age. Although all of them are practically guests, they are required to not only help with the preparations but also to learn about each other's kingdom. Princess Bora calls it as a pre-gala programme. Yifan thinks this is a good idea. It's not always for the Crystal Empire to gather together without the means of diplomacy.

Later, the guests are being escorted to their room. Kyungsoo’s room being a floor beneath him. The Royal families gets to occupy the third floor. However, after settling down, Yifan frowns at how he has yet to spot a certain brown haired male anywhere in the mansion.

Not even when everyone gathered in the main hall for the brief introductions. And just like that, the first day of his stay in Amber went by without anything remarkably happening. Before closing eyes to sleep, Yifan prays that Junmyeon would at least appear tomorrow even for a brief moment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yifan huffs out as he stares at Kyungsoo scanning the file of papers. It’s only their second day but Yifan is already bored to death. Initially when the King of Amber said that he needed few representatives to help for the gala preparations, he imagined it would be full of meetings which is pretty boring as well but it turns out that the guests actually have a lot of time to spare and in this case, also a bore. “How long are you going to read that, Kyungsoo?”

Not batting an eyelash towards his prince, Kyungsoo continues to flip the page of the file. “My prince, you do realize we have to write a report of our visit here? Have you read the files prepared by the kingdoms?”

“Only Quartz and Emerald.” Yifan mumbles, standing up from his seat to walk to the window. They have been in the library for almost an hour now. Baekhyun and Chanyeol went out sight-seeing the village, Yifan would’ve joined if he wasn’t waiting to meet a certain someone. The others are either reading in their own chamber or probably out socializing with the princesses. It’s not a surprised when Kyungsoo rather plants himself in the library and submerge himself into piles of papers.

“If there is so much time to spare, should you not, the prince of Ruby, be conversing with the other kingdoms?”

“I have. Since yesterday.” Yifan spots the Charoite prince taking a stroll with the third princess. They are probably discussing further about the gala considering how serious Prince Minseok is explaining to her. “But nothing particularly interesting.”

He is contemplating whether he should take a stroll at the garden too. But he doubts Junmyeon would be there. Day 2 and Junmyeon is still missing. At this point, Yifan is confident that Junmyeon is probably out for a trip. Just an assumption really, he’s too afraid to ask any of the princess about it.

“There is still time before the gathering for tea time. You should rest in your chamber.” Kyungsoo suggests. Maybe his friend is right. Rather than sitting in the library which both of them know Yifan isn’t like his brother who is fond of reading, he prefers outdoor activities. But since they’re not in their land, he might as well just take a nap in his room.

 

Yifan was halfway on the flight of stairs to the second floor when he hears someone is calling his name from above. He glances up to see the one person that he has been waiting for ever since he arrived in this foreign land, smiling down at him from the end of the stairs. It is almost like an automatic reaction, the corners of Yifan’s lips immediately curve upwards as he jogs upstairs, only stopping when he is 3 stairs away from the other prince. “It took you 2 days to show up?”

“Have you been waiting, Prince Yifan?” Junmyeon reflects his wide smile. At that moment, Yifan can’t say that his stomach isn’t doing a cartwheel. Especially when Junmyeon has his hair down, covering his forehead just like he did in their first meeting. Maybe just maybe, Yifan prefers when Junmyeon is dressed casually like this instead.

“I cannot say that I did not.” Yifan replies while taking another step up. “So, do you care to give me a tour in your fortress?”

“I thought my sister had already done that?”

Yifan wriggles his finger in front of Junmyeon. “I prefer a personal tour by the only son of the King.” Although Junmyeon’s expression indicates that Yifan is crazy but still, the shorter obliges to Yifan’s wish. So what was supposed to be Yifan’s nap time becomes his first time in weeks to spend time with Junmyeon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Although Junmyeon is basically repeating what Yifan was briefly explained yesterday by Princess Bora, and Junmyeon is pretty aware of that, but Yifan lets Junmyeon speak because he loves watching the way the Amber’s prince seriously explains about the history. He loves the little smile on Junmyeon’s face when he realizes that he has been explaining everything a little too excited. Not like Yifan minded at all. “This is pretty boring, isn’t it?” Junmyeon asks after they’re taking a break from all the walking at one of the benches just by the 3rd fountain. “I mean all this conversation about the history and architecture.”

“No. No, it is fine. I enjoy when you are the one explaining.”

There’s a slight pause before Junmyeon laughs it off saying that Yifan is being ridiculous. It may sound like that to Junmyeon but Yifan didn’t lie. Not one bit. “You look more comfortable like this.” Yifan says pointing to Junmyeon’s attire.

“Right. Formal attire can be very suffocating. This makes me move freely.” Junmyeon stands up and twirls around as he shows him his loose long-sleeved top tucked into his tight pants. Yifan wonders does anybody ever tell Junmyeon how tiny he looks in oversized tops and not to mention, his small tiny hands peek out from the sleeves.

How adorable.

Yifan stands up as well and stops Junmyeon from spinning. The smaller prince is going to get whiplash if he continues. Junmyeon frowns the moment he has to crane his neck upwards a little just to look at his friend. “I think I grew up wrongly.” Junmyeon mumbles out.

“Hmm?”

Junmyeon tips his toes as he uses Yifan’s shoulders to balance himself. “Even when I do this, I am still shorter.” He should have inherited his father’s tall gene but why did it skipped him of all people. He’s the prince, he should have been the tallest to protect his sisters.

Yifan can’t help the chuckle escaping his lips. Is this prince really older than him? Junmyeon though doesn’t look amused that Yifan is laughing at his misery. “I am really short for a man, aren’t I?” He pouts.

“You are just the perfect height, Junmyeon.” The taller says softly. It really is an ideal for Yifan when Junmyeon is a head shorter than him. The height difference is just endearing and despite Junmyeon is a year older, Junmyeon being shorter almost feels like Yifan is the older one. “I am just abnormally tall if that makes you feel better.”

The Amber’s prince squints his eyes, not sure whether it’s a compliment or not. Nevertheless, he lets Yifan pulls his wrist to continue with the tour. That is until at the sharp corner, they almost collide with Princess Bora and Princess Elkie, the youngest of the princesses. “Oh, you two again.” She blurts, looking back and forth at Junmyeon and Yifan. This isn’t the first time for Princess Bora to spot the two of them together, alone.

Yifan greets the two princesses as usual and Princess Bora can’t help but sending knowing looks to Junmyeon. “You two already seems like close friends.”

Junmyeon was about to deny but Yifan beats him to it. “We are getting there, I believe.”

The amusement on both princesses’ features are evident as both of them giggle at the reply while Junmyeon inaudibly gapes at the taller. Shaking his head, Junmyeon asks where both of them are heading to and turns out they are heading to the palace for tea time.

Oh he has been with Junmyeon for that long?

Funny how one hour felt so short to Yifan. He didn’t even get to hear Junmyeon’s stories about himself. Perhaps, that shall be saved for afterwards. Together with the princesses, they walk back to the palace. From time to time, Junmyeon would laugh at something that Yifan had said and this has Princess Elkie to nudge her sister. “Do you see what is happening?” She whispers to her elder sister.

“I know.” Princess Bora mouths back, a hint of smile threatening to escape.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To Yifan’s luck, Junmyeon stuck around much more than he had expected. Even when they’re not talking to each other, Junmyeon is always there at the corner of his eyes. Like that one time when everyone is gathered again in the hall with Princess Irene telling the guests of her vision on the decorations and Yifan spots Junmyeon talking to Jongin. Once their eyes meet, Junmyeon suddenly breaks into a smile and pretended that he did not just exchange glances with him. What’s funnier is that Jongin looked totally lost as to why Junmyeon is smiling to himself.

“So that is him.” Kyungsoo appears suddenly beside Yifan, scaring the taller a little.

Yifan puts a hand above his own chest to calm his heart. Kyungsoo may be small, but his steps are deadly quiet that the prince might just suffer a heart attack one of these days. “Kyungsoo, you are doing it again.”

“My apologies, Prince Yifan. But I guess that is him. The one as you described. Light brown hair, angelic smile, and the same height as me.”

“You are right about that.” Yifan nods then turns to Kyungsoo. Something about that mischievous smile of Yifan has Kyungsoo sweats in uncertainty. “Help me distract the tan boy.”

Kyungsoo just knows it will somehow lead to this. “Your highness, why can’t you walk towards them and joined their conversation instead?”

“No!” Yifan whines. “That Emerald has been talking to him for so long.” He grabs Kyungsoo’s shoulder and shakes him. This is one of those times Kyungsoo wishes he was Prince Kevin’s secretary instead. “You will help me, right?”

“When do I ever deny the Prince’s orders?” Kyungsoo sighs, glancing at Jongin, who he has never conversed once with since he was here. The doe-eyed male gently removes his prince’s hands as he walks towards the couple. When he peeps back at Yifan, the latter is putting a thumbs up and Kyungsoo really needs to read his contract again. As far as he remembers, this isn’t listed anywhere in it.

Gently tapping on the tan male’s shoulder, Kyungsoo nervously smile at him when the Emerald’s nobleman turns around. “Uhmm Hello.” Kyungsoo starts off, greeting to the both of them. He takes this time to finally scan the one and only prince of Amber. Now, Kyungsoo understands why Yifan has his mind full of Prince Junmyeon. Although Kyungsoo has seen better looking man, but still, Prince Junmyeon’s beauty lives up to his title ‘Aphrodite’s son’. “Forgive me, I think I have yet to properly introduce myself. My name is Do Kyungsoo from Ruby Kingdom.”

“Ahh yes. You came with prince Yifan, isn’t it?” Junmyeon reflects his grin.

“Indeed. My apologies, Prince Junmyeon, but do you think I could borrow Sir Jongin for a minute? There are a few things I would like to inquire about Emerald.”

Jongin looks surprised as he waits for Junmyeon to excuse him and when Junmyeon gives him the green light, he lets himself being dragged away by the small man. And just like that Junmyeon is free and Yifan wastes no time to slide across the hall and into Junmyeon’s personal space. Again.

 

 

What they didn’t know was that all this while, the eldest, Princess Bora has been secretly eyeing his brother and also the tall prince from Ruby Kingdom. She’s beginning to notice how the taller keeps on making this starstruck face whenever he thinks Junmyeon isn’t looking. It’s both suspicious and amusing for her but strangely, she likes where this is going.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Again, Yifan is being locked up in the library because firstly, Kyungsoo has been pressing him to finish reading all the materials given. Second, because Kyungsoo suddenly disappears to God knows where with that Emerald nobleman after the tan male seeks permission to borrow Kyungsoo for a tad bit. Kyungsoo’s pile of books and stationeries are still scattered on the table so Yifan can’t really go anywhere. Even if he is a prince and he can leave, but Kyungsoo is still his friend despite the title and he really doesn’t want to leave Kyungsoo’s stuff unsupervised.

He was resting his forehead on his forearm when he hears the chair in front of him screech. “Where have you been, Kyung—” His words got stuck when instead of Kyungsoo’s black hair, Junmyeon’s honey light brown comes into his view. “Never thought I would find you here.”

As expected, Junmyeon’s face can brighten his day anytime. “Because I do not look like the type to read much?” Yifan rests his chin on his forearms instead. Junmyeon chuckles as he takes the pen between Yifan’s fingers and starts playing with the lid. “Because you told me that you feel sleepy as soon as you opened a book.”

Somehow, it makes Yifan at awe that Junmyeon remembers. Even Yifan forgets that he had mentioned that to Junmyeon. “But you on the other hand, you love it, am I wrong?”

“Nope, you are not.” The smaller scans through the books scattered beside him. Junmyeon guesses that the secretary from Ruby is fond of philosophical and historical themes. “However, unlike Kyungsoo, I like to read something more… melancholic.”

“Melancholic?” Yifan repeats with a raised brow.

Junmyeon nods as he scribbles his name on his own palm. “Ever since I was young, I was always fond of reading the story books Princess Bora would buy. But at the age on 9, for the first time I cried reading a book. It’s quite fascinating really, how not all stories are sunshine and rainbows. Some does not even have a happy ending.”

For some reason, Junmyeon’s smile suddenly become strained. He continues to write down on his palm and at that time, Yifan notices the red lines on his palm. “What happened to your hand?” Yifan tugs the latter’s hand to examine further. He can’t be mistaken, this is definitely a fresh healed scars.

“Oh. It’s nothing.” Junmyeon assures him. “I got this during the trip to the Liari.” He giggles when Yifan uses his index finger to trace the bumpy skin. It tickles, but Junmyeon didn’t retract his hand.

With scars like this, Yifan doubts it is anything minor. If it were from a sword battle, the lines are all over the place. Furthermore, it is at Junmyeon’s dominant hand. It’s not that possible to get scars like these on his palms for that reason. Yifan may not know anything but he just hopes Junmyeon wasn’t in a serious danger at that time.

Yifan can’t help but remember the time when he first met Junmyeon. Until this day, Junmyeon is yet to tell him the reason why he was crying that day. The same how he is being vague about his injury to Yifan. This only means that they’re still not close enough, Yifan solemnly thinks.

It’s alright, the taller chants to himself. It’s only the fifth day. He has a few more days left and by the time the gala ends, he and Junmyeon will…

Yifan pauses momentarily in his head.

They will…

Wait.

Something is strange in his heart and mind.

On the first day knowing Junmyeon, he was set to establish a close friendship with Junmyeon. But now, something is telling him that this is not enough. He was really about to say that they will be good friends but… they already are and even if Junmyeon is at the point where he trusts Yifan, in some way, Yifan thinks it wouldn’t just cut it.

What is this?

Yifan didn’t realize that he was frowning until he feels a finger pressing on each corner of his lips. “Why do you suddenly look so sad, Yifan?” The smaller questions while lifting them up to make Yifan’s lips turn into a smile.

“I was?”

“Very.” Junmyeon confirms. “Here.” It is the smaller prince’s turn to take Yifan’s hand into his. There’s almost a tingling feeling on the back of his hand as Junmyeon starts to draw something. Pretty childish in Yifan’s mind but he doesn’t care. In fact, Junmyeon seems like he has the personality of a teenager despite his age. “There!”

“And what is this supposed to be?” Yifan lifts his hand to inspect the weird circular drawing.

“Daisies.”

Junmyeon tells him how some time ago, there was a tradition where when a friendship is form between people of two kingdoms, they would exchange daisies. It is a very ancient tradition but a few people still practice it in Amber according to him. “However, if the two people love each other, they’ll exchange their crystals.” Junmyeon finishes.

“Crystals? As in…?”

“Well, for example, if you and I are to be lovers, I will gift you an accessory that has amber in it while I will receive the same with a ruby.”

Oh.

Is it bad that Yifan feels like his heart is about to burst when Junmyeon used them as an example? That… Yifan likes the sound of that. Like a lot. He is literally trying to cover his grin by biting his lower lip. “Then, I will wait for your flower.” He declares, caressing his hand lightly just above the drawing.

Junmyeeon is really making his mind jumbled up just by being in the same room as him. How a man he met for just a few days can get him so warmed up in the heart. It’s crazy. Maybe Kyungsoo is right. You cannot foresee who will have a huge impact in your life.

They've been in their own world for quite a while and Yifan likes to stay this way even until nighttime. However, both of them are surprised when Princess Bora and Earl Jinki appears out of the blue near their table. “There you are.” Jinki calls with a hand on Junmyeon's shoulder. “Irene told us to get you to the meeting room.”

Without many words, the prince nods and bid Yifan goodbye, to Yifan's sadness. He's a busy prince after all. Yifan dejectedly watch how Junmyeon disappears through the door with Jinki but at least the smaller gave him a wave before exiting. Even that small gesture is enough to make Yifan mirrors that smile.

“Are you not tagging along, Princess?” Yifan asks when he realizes that Princess Bora did not move from where she was standing. “No. Just them.” She occupies the chair that Junmyeon had previously sat.

To say Yifan was surprised is an understatement. All this while, Princess Bora is always seen with her fiancé by her side. So this is the first time Yifan is left alone with her to converse. “This is your fifth day here. How do you like your stay so far, Prince Yifan?”

“Not a complaint that I could think of.” He replies.

At the palace back in Ruby, there were no princesses. Only the Queen. And Princess Bora is what Yifan can say is close to a Queen's qualities. She is poise, elegant and yet there's a dominant aura where Yifan thinks she doesn't need a King by her side to rule. To say simply, Yifan feels intimidated by her. But in the good kind of way.

“I am glad if you're enjoying.”

There's a slight pause, just a moment of silence. The reason why Yifan didn't say anything is because he is waiting for the Princess to utter first. In any case, it is the princess who looks like she has something on her mind. “You seem... very close to my little brother, aren't you, Prince Yifan?” She finally asks him.

It's not far from the truth but it is not that precise either. “We get along certainly well. I think we could be closer. That is fine with you, princess?”

“Oh yes. Definitely!” Yifan is relief to hear that from the sister. “Instead, I am very much thankful to you. Even when you have been here not long ago.”

Yifan's eyes pique in curiosity. “And why is that?”

The princess looks down to her fiddling hands. The smile is still on her face but her shoulders start to relax a little. “When he is around you, he forgets. I am not sure if he does completely, but by his smile when he is with you, he would at least feel genuine happiness.”

For a second Yifan is conflicted. Should he be happy at the fact Junmyeon is able to smile sincerely around him or sad at the fact that there might be something potentially huge that is bothering Junmyeon. “I do not understand. Forget what exactly?”

“That is something I wish to find out as well.” The princess sighs. “I remember 2 months ago, Junmyeon was extremely in good spirit. All day. All night. We would always that he is in love and he would deny it as if we caught one of his little secrets. He was the only brother in the family so, it is understandable that he has his own secrets that we girls might not understand.”

And suddenly, the smile on her face makes a 180 degree turn. “But only recently, a month ago perhaps, his eyes are always swollen. He became oddly quiet when he thinks none of us are watching. The garden was where he was most of the time. And after we confronted about it to him, he started smiling but oh Junmyeon, does he think his sisters can be fooled by such forced smiles?”

There are none tears pooling in her eyes but Yifan can actually feel how frustrated and devastated Princess Bora is. “So, Prince Yifan. This is why I need your help.”

“Do you wish me to be undercover on your behalf?”

Princess Bora chuckles, waving her hand. “That would be an invasion of my brother's privacy. And I would not tolerate that.” She clutches both of Yifan's hands as she pleads him with her eyes. “I would love if you just be there for him. Maybe all he need right now is a new person in his life that he can rely on. Maybe he needs a companion that he is willingly to give his trust the way he cannot give us. You do not have to tell me anything of what he told you.” She releases his hand. “Returning his smiles is well enough for me.”

Yifan is glad that the princess plants trust on him to make Junmyeon to his old self but the question is, what happened that made Junmyeon changed drastically. Furthermore, is it way too exclusive that neither of the siblings have a clue as to what was going on?

All this time, Yifan knows that the reason Junmyeon was crying is probably isn't a small deal. But he never expected it is a repetitive occurrence that even caused a worry to the princesses.

There's not much Yifan can say in return except assuring Princess Bora that he will never do anything to make Junmyeon sad. Junmyeon may not tru

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter