part 3

Amber's Prince
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Tonight is Yifan's last night sleeping in the Amber's Palace. It doesn't ring nicely in his head. True, he's been getting a little homesick but leaving this place, and Junmyeon, he is not looking forward to that at all.

In midst of him boring holes onto his wall, Kyungsoo knocks into his room and proceed to inform him that the guests are to be gathered in front of the main hall. Without objection, he heads down with Kyungsoo towing behind him.

Yifan arrives at Grand Hall with lots of people murmuring around. “They are revealing the hall finally. Are you not thrilled?!” Baekhyun clasps his hand together.

The last time Yifan has been into the hall was 3 days ago when Princess Irene had sought him for advice about his tradition and arts of his mainland. Finally, after much effort from every kingdom to prepare a historic moment of unity, it is all coming together now.

The huge white and golden door opens for the King to step inside first followed by the Queen, the rest of the royal family and lastly, the royal guests. “My, my. What a spectacular work of art.” The King preaches.

Yifan could say the same thing. Beautiful is an understatement. Impressed too. There's every element that symbolizes the five kingdoms together. The massive curtains are designed perfectly matching the kingdoms’ colours and traits.

Ruby Red, the most passionate. The healing and freshness of Emerald green. Yellow-orange of Amber that meant courage or “the soul of the tiger”. Purple Charoite that enhances calmness and peace. And lastly, crystal clear Quartz that stands with its name “Master Healer.”

The people of Ruby would be proud to see this magnificent work blend together.

“As expected, our princess has magical fingers.” The Queen praises.

To revel the succession of the Grand Hall, the King invited everyone to the living room to enjoy stacked glasses of champagne. Well, most of them since Baekhyun and Chanyeol are still considered minors in their country. Instead, they are presented with rose milk.

However, not all of them prefers drinking. Yifan, for instance, knows his low tolerance of alcohol and if it was at his mansion, he wouldn't mind getting a little tipsy but the risk of him spouting nonsense and probably damaging for his reputation is high, so he will just pass. Jongin too. Yifan spots him at the corner of his eye, refusing Princess Soyeon’s offer.

But there are also people like Prince Minseok who has yet to stop sipping more and more. Nonetheless, he still doesn't look like he had just swam in a pool of alcohol. If it weren't for the red shade on the skin under his ear, Yifan wouldn't have guessed that he is indeed drunk.

When the clock almost struck 10, the King and Queen took their leave. A few of Junmyeon’s siblings also head to rest as well. Yifan watches Junmyeon jugging down his 4th glass, and from the way that Junmyeon is awfully clingy towards Baekhyun, he has zero doubt that Junmyeon is heavily drunk.

“Baekhyun, let us swap seats.” Chanyeol snarls after having to watch Baekhyun returning Junmyeon's unusual affections for more than half an hour.

“What? Why? I’m too lazy to move.” The sapphire prince replies, slinging his arms together with Junmyeon's. The Quartz’s prince rolls his eyes before turning to Junmyeon. “Fine. Junmyeon, care to join me to get more rose milk?” Chanyeol can easily call one of the maids but something tells Yifan that the milk wasn’t really what Chanyeol was going for. Whatever it is, at least Chanyeol succeeded in separating those two apart as Junmyeon and him stand up and leave somewhere off.

Just then, Princess Bora who is just arriving comes in together with Jinki in her arms. Baekhyun offers them the seats beside him since it's much spacious as compared to Yifan’s side.

One thing that Yifan can't deny is how well the princess and his fiancé looked together. Anyone can see the love in her eyes and vice versa. He wonders if one day, both Junmyeon and Yifan can love the same. Or will it only be him?

His admiration was put to a stop when Yifan feels the space beside him is being occupied again by Chanyeol. That and suddenly his shoulders is being pushed back and someone is startlingly occupying his lap.

And in this bad case of Yifan's health, that someone is Junmyeon.

“Hope you do not mind. Other seats are full.” Junmyeon glances at the back briefly before turning forward again.

Kyungsoo immediately panics as he stands to offer his seat but Junmyeon is quick to dismiss him with a wave. Now, it gets more dangerous when Junmyeon suddenly leans his back against Yifan's chest, the place where words aren't necessary to describe his feelings for Junmyeon. If Junmyeon notices how fast Yifan's heartbeat is right now, it will definitely cost him.

“I am terribly sorry. He is… extremely affectionate when he is drunk.” Princess Bora apologizes. “Gracious little brother, where are you manners?”

Yifan instantly shakes his head as he tells them that he doesn't mind. After all, they're good friends, aren't they? Yifan's palms which were stiff behind Junmyeon are being pulled forward and rested on each of Junmyeon’s side. Baekhyun almost choke on his drink and Chanyeol too is trying to stifle his own laugh at Yifan's awkward fisted hands by Junmyeon's waist.

“You would think those two are the ones getting married.” Baekhyun snickers after recovering from his choking mess, pointing at Junmyeon and Yifan.

Kyungsoo definitely can see the sweat trickling down Yifan's nape and he would've put more effort into helping Junmyeon off Yifan's lap if it weren't for the fact that this could be the only opportunity for a payback since the prince has been teasing him non-stop. Also, in his defence, maybe Yifan isn't hating the situation at all.

At last, Yifan has no choice other than to make himself comfortable despite the circumstances. “Pardon me, your Highness.” Prince Minseok directs his gaze towards the engaged couple. “As you can tell, or maybe you can't, I am a romanticist. I write books and sing of love stories and I definitely admire what I am seeing now.” He nudges towards their clasped hands, making them blush. “So, if you do not mind, I am sure this night would be more entertaining with a share of your beautiful love story.”

Other people in the hall hoots in agreement, making the request hard to refuse by the shy couple. “Oh Prince Minseok, you really know how to have it your way.” She says bashfully. “But where do we begin?”

“Our first meeting?” Jinki suggests but then he breaks into a small laughter. “But we have known each other for a long time. Since we were kids that is. Due to our age being just a year apart, Princess Bora and I have always felt like two responsible guardians for her many siblings.”

“It is the truth.” Princess Krystal chirps in. “In other sense, they both raised me.”

“I have always harboured feelings for her. But deep down, I knew that she would be far from my reach. I have always thought she would betroth to a prince instead of me who is lacking in many aspects.” Everyone erupts into laughter when Princess Bora pinches her fiancé’s waist. “Alright, Alright. I apologize.” He rubs the abused area. Nevertheless, he continues while gently the princess’s hand. “But one day, my prayers were answered. The King had told us of his intention to wed us. I was afraid that Bora would hate the idea.”

“Instead of hate, I was actually relieved.” It is Princess Bora’s turn to speak. “If I were to be forced into marriage, I would rather be with someone whom I've known for almost my whole life. It was new for me to see Jinki whom I'd always thought of as a brother in a different light. But he made it work.” The princess lays her head on Jinki's shoulder. She repeats sweetly. “He really made it work.”

Baekhyun is the first to coo loudly. The story sparks envies in most of the people in the room and Junmyeon isn't excluded. “Beautiful, isn't it? Their love story.” He whispers to Yifan.

The taller nods. It definitely is. The couple has one of the love stories that gone right. Now, if only Yifan can say the same to the both of them. Actually, forget Yifan. Yifan's love for Junmyeon can't possibly be bigger than Junmyeon's love towards...well, whoever that person is. Thinking like this, he wonders if Junmyeon is internally frowning or smiling right now.

“Then, let's toast,” Junmyeon raises his glass, and the others follow suit. “To our future newlyweds!” Junmyeon cheers.

“To the future newlyweds!” They all chorus then gulp their drinks down. However, before Junmyeon does with his, he turns to Yifan and clinks his glass with Yifan's. “And also, for the day both of us would find our own love story to tell.” And with that, Junmyeon empties the wine glass in one shot, face scrunching at how the liquor taste in his throat.

Yifan watches how Junmyeon’s gelled fringe is starting to fall apart on his forehead. Being close to Junmyeon like this is deadly but praise the God, he actually favours it so much. Maybe Junmyeon is too drunk to notice but Yifan can't bring his eyes off Junmyeon's details on his face.

They’re beautiful. So beautiful.

Yifan wants to say that the person who rejected Junmyeon must have been so blind in the heart. Yifan's too awed in his head that he didn't realize he was inching closer to the oblivious drunk boy. If it weren't for Chanyeol who snaps his fingers just by his ear without warning, he would've done something unforgivable in front of everyone.

“I understand you but, try to not take advantage of him in this state.” Chanyeol says monotonously but Yifan can sense the death threat laces within the tone.

The Ruby’s prince immediately puts a distance between him and the honey brown haired prince. “Wasn't planning to.”

Chanyeol sighs, taking another taste of his sweet rose milk grimly. “I told you. I understand you.” He says while putting his gaze forward and Yifan doesn't have to align their gaze to know what Chanyeol meant. “Sometimes, you do not realize you are doing it.” He shrugs.

Not sure what to say, Yifan just keep his mouth shut as he hears another wave of laughter adjacent to him. He guesses even nights where there are those who are having the time of their life, there also those who have broken souls.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Junmyeon?” Yifan prods Junmyeon who is sleeping soundly on his chest. Some guests went back to their respective room, Kyungsoo included. The youngest duo, Chanyeol and Baekhyun still has so much energy to joke around together and Yifan envies that. The small male on his laps fidgets a little before sitting up straight.

“Yifan?” He calls hoarsely.

The way Junmyeon blinks his eyes awake is almost childlike and for the nth time, Yifan’s mind keep chanting how cute Junmyeon is. “I told your sisters that I would let you sleep for a while before waking you up. You should head to bed.”

“Oh...” Junmyeon scratches his chin. He looks around to see that half of the crowd has left the living room. “We should go too.”

Junmyeon playfully helps Yifan up from his seat and best believe that Yifan can't even feel his legs. It’s like his leg are finally able to breathe and the blood is finally dispersing. Not that Junmyeon is heavy but it gets a little too numb after a long time. “Was it that long that I slept?”

“Not quite. It is best for you to have it easy on the drinks.”

Junmyeon snorts. “Perhaps I should have, shouldn’t I? In my defence, it makes me forget, so why not?”

Junmyeon is ahead when Yifan stops suddenly at the bottom of the stairs, causing Junmyeon to stop as well. The Amber’s prince waits confusingly before he questions, “Is everything alright?”

“Do you...” Yifan trails off with his head facing the floor instead. “...think about that person all the time?” He didn't know what made him ask that question but he is honestly curious. But at the same time, Yifan is scared of the answer.

Meanwhile, Junmyeon can barely register his surrounding but Yifan's voice has always been so clear to him. Always. With his half-conscious mind, Junmyeon places his hand on Yifan's shoulder before leaning down to plant a quick kiss on Yifan's cheek. As soon as it came, the soft touch of Junmyeon’s lips are gone. “Don't worry.” Junmyeon grins through his half lidded eyes. “When I am with you, Yifan, everything is just...just right. My chest here,” He points to his chest, “always feel uneasy. It’s suffocating because of my pathetic and non-existent love life but when I am with you, I forget momentarily that I was suffering.” He continues.

Junmyeon really didn't wait for Yifan to recover from the kiss before dropping these flattering words. Yifan internally weeps. He’s in trouble. Yifan is in trouble. “You... this... Tomorrow, you will forget about this kiss, will you not?”

“Maybe.” Junmyeon frowns, caressing the spot that he kissed with the back of his index finger. “But only the truth is sworn when I am drunk.”

His words might or might not be true but he does remember his brothers saying drunk confession is the truth most of the time. And Yifan chooses to believe so. Without any more words exchanged, Yifan helps the wobbly Junmyeon until he is safe on his bed.

After covering Junmyeon with his duvet, Yifan quietly stares at the pretty prince. The kiss is still lingering on his cheek. He wonders what made Junmyeon do that. Caressing the spot, one thing he is glad of is that at least Junmyeon isn’t hurting when he's with Yifan. He’s not sure how far that is from the truth, but if Junmyeon says so, Yifan won't question it.

 

“Goodnight, Junmyeon.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They have been walking for almost 30 minutes. He should have ridden a horse or something if only Kyungsoo had noted him how far the store is. But Kyungsoo, knowing him, he prefers to walk long distance because ‘it is good for the body’ he says. Tell that to Yifan's numb legs. “Kyungsoo, are you positive that we are in the right way?”

“Positive, your Highness. It was I, after all, that went to the place beforehand.” Kyungsoo assures, still walking straight and of course, enjoying the fresh air that smells so much like breads and muffins.

Even back in Ruby, Kyungsoo likes to walk down the town, or market to wander around. It’s not like he buys anything but Kyungsoo just likes the taste of freedom he gets in being outside of the palace. Thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter