part 1

Amber's Prince
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It is rather a peaceful morning where the lights of the day is yet to illuminate the room. Outside, birds have already started singing but Yifan isn’t one to be easily fazed by any noises outside especially in the morning. Nuzzling his face further into his pillow, what a perfect time and weather to continue sleeping, dreaming the days when the King isn’t nagging at him. It could have been a good dream until the blinds in his room is being rudely opened and the light instantly stabs his eyes. “What the—”

“This is an insult to me, your Highness.” The deep voiced man growls. Yifan slowly try to pry his right eye open which took him about a minute before he registers who is blocking his view. “Oh. It’s you.” Yifan pulls the cover up until it’s blocking his whole body.

“This is the third time, Prince Yifan. I cannot keep coming back to check on you—”

A snore can be heard.

The man huffs. Being the prince’s secretary is his worst nightmare. He knew the prince’s trouble of waking up in the morning is severe but it didn’t bother him until it is his job to make sure the Ruby Kingdom’s 3rd prince attends his duties. “Oh for goodness’ sake,” Kyungsoo rolls up his sleeves as he strides to the foot of the bed. “I cannot keep doing this.” In the count of 3, Kyungsoo inhales and then pulls all the cover off until Yifan is left with nothing but his pillows.

The prince grunts, hiding his face with his pillow. “5 more minutes, Kyungsoo.”

“For the third time, the King orders all of his sons down in The Red Hall.”

Groggily, Yifan sits up, ruffling his out-of-placed blond hair. Kyungsoo grimaces when Yifan wipes the dried saliva by his mouth with his thumb. If only this side of Yifan is shown to the town, Kyungsoo would bet it would ruin half of this town’s fantasies. “Your brothers are already on their way. The King wouldn’t be so pleased for you to arrive last. Again.” Kyungsoo sighs at the last word.

“He really won’t let me rest.”

“You have rest enough, your Highness.” The smaller man opens the door for the housekeepers to enter the chamber. “20 minutes is all you have got.”

The 18 year-old prince blankly blinks his eyes at Kyungsoo. 20 minutes? Walking to the main hall alone takes him a lot of time. Well, he can’t really argue when he himself had put Kyungsoo in charge. When he requested the King for Kyungsoo to be his secretary, he didn’t think that Kyungsoo, of all people would be so strict. After all, he was the quietest among the Do family. Also, he is the one that is the closest to his age and probably what Yifan would call a friend. Well, other than the noble princes, of course.

“Kyungsoo.” Yifan calls but it sounded more like a whine. The prince rubs his eyes as he lankly gets out of bed and slips his slippers on. “I am not in trouble, am I?”

“I cannot guarantee that. You see, Prince Yifan, you have taken 3 minutes out of your 20 minutes of preparation.” The doe eyed male glances at the clock. “4 minutes actually.”

“Okay. Okay. I’m going!”

When Yifan sprints to the bathroom, Kyungsoo can finally breathe in relief. This untidiness isn’t new but definitely will cost him and Yifan something.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As expected, Yifan is the last to arrive in the hall with Kyungsoo towing behind. Yifan looked proper enough with his white tunic and a rosewood red coat above that has a little pattern of gold on the sleeves. Just as he walks in, the laughter dies down and all presences have their eyes on Yifan.

“I deeply apologize for being late.” Yifan makes his way to the second seat from the King. His eldest brother, Prince Kevin sits on the King’s right while the rest are on his left. In mornings like this, his father would send him a displeased look for being tardy but Yifan believes the ambience is good enough as the King is back to laughing at what his brother had said.

“Your lack of speed exhausts me.” Kevin sneers, placing his cup back on the saucer.

The second eldest, Prince Ren, groans as he points his fork to Yifan’s direction. “Imagine still living under the same roof. Father yelling at him is more like a morning melody being played in the castle.”

Shaking his head, Kevin turns to the King. “Seems like nothing much has changed.”

“Except that I now tower most of you.” Yifan grins sweetly. As compared to his brothers, only Yifan inherits his father’s tall genes and that alone irritates his brothers easily.

Ren snorts as he gently brings the tea cup to his lips. “What use of height when you lack of charm, brother?”

“I have plenty of charms!”

“Oh please,” Kevin roars. “If we are to publish a picture of you sleeping with that drooling habit of yours, it will mark your end.”

Yifan gasps loudly, too dramatically if you ask. “You wouldn't dare!”

Appears like the presence of the King is almost forgotten. All three of their personal attendants are torn in between reminding them of their table manners or let them be because the King isn’t frowning as he would always. With just one sound of the King’s cough, all the noises die down almost instantly. “Has it been so long since we all gathered that I had actually missed these siblings banter?” the King asks calmly.

It's true though. Ever since his eldest brother got married to the daughter of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, they have been travelling around and barely present in the palace. Oh don't get Yifan wrong. He’s glad that one less person is out of the palace because as the youngest, he gets a lot of teasing from his brothers. It would have been much better if it was the narcissistic brother and not the brainy one.

“Why are you glaring at me?” Ren questions when he noticed that Yifan is looking at him with knitted eyebrows.

“Nothing.” The younger hums. “It is just that you look ugly. As always.”

Biting his lips, as the second prince, he, Prince Ren of Ruby Kingdom, shall not show his impertinence in front of the King. Manners, he chants to himself before smiling at his father. “Father, since Yifan and his useless long legs has arrived, I think we can hear the news now.”

“Oh!” the King claps his hand before gesturing one of his men to approach him. He whispers something in the latter's ear before waving him away. “Listen well, my sons, as this is not only important for our kingdom, but also the whole Crystal Empire. The King from Clover Land has initiated their intention to visit the Crystal Empire and per their humble request, they wish to assemble the kingdoms in a semi-formal event.”

Clover Land?

Yifan is surprised that a kingdom from Plantae would make its way to the Crystal Empire. Not to mention, they must travel for days, almost a week to even the see the gates of Ruby Kingdom.

Currently, the Crystal Empire consist of 6 kingdoms. Just recently, the Ruby Kingdom made amends with the Amber Kingdom after a cold war that lasted around a decade. Therefore, Yifan is surprised to hear that tomorrow, the King together with his sons, as well as other Crystal Empire’s royalties will be having tea at the Amber Palace. “It has been a while since we have gone on a trip together, so I believe you will be at your best behaviour. Always remember that we are the pride of Rubies.”

“Of course, Father.” Prince Kevin assures him. “The meeting with Clover Land will be in your favour, I pray.”

Yifan too hopes that it will go well. The gains that this empire will benefit by having diplomatic ties with Clover Land, this could expand their market to Plantae. He can already foresee Crystal Empire making their names on the West with their unity concept.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thud!

Yifan grimaces when the arrow lands at the blue circle instead of yellow. It's been a while since he practiced his shooting. His non-stop responsibilities as a prince had created some distance between him and the field. In some days, duties gets super tiring that Yifan would just sneakily slither himself to bed. But of course, Kyungsoo doesn’t miss catching him in a heartbeat, and then he is being dragged back to his work.

Today, Yifan purposely woke up early (to Kyungsoo’s surprise) to practice his shooting skills. Just yesterday he lost to his brothers in archery and it bothers Yifan to no end. Losing is expected but the scores had actually opened Yifan’s eyes on how his archery skills are declining.

For the nth time, Yifan takes his aim at the small yellow circle. Carefully, he draws his right hand back, standing firm and then... release.

Thud!

It barely made it into the yellow line. Barely. To the point that it doesn't feel like it counts at all. “What are your thoughts, Kyungsoo?” He takes the towel that is being held out for him.

“Forgive me, your Highness. I think your skill has gone from bad to worse.”

Yifan snorts, wiping his drenched forehead and neck. “Always so honest, Do Kyungsoo.” The only person who can get away from speeches like that towards Yifan is none other than his own secretary. Most definitely because when he was 5, Yifan had taken a liking to disturb (annoy) the leader of the Science Attaché Corps’ third youngest son. As everyone around him is too polite to him, Kyungsoo however, is never afraid to speak his mind with Yifan. That’s why he takes pride on knowing Kyungsoo the best.

“It is my duty to never lie to you, my prince.”

“Right.” He says after retrieving back his arrows. “Is it almost time?”

Kyungsoo glances at his silver pocket watch before handing Yifan his back quiver. “You still have more than one hour, Prince Yifan. Perhaps some tea after your bath?”

“Chamomile, please.”

The smaller man nods. “And it shall be in your chamber by the time you are done showering.”

Yifan needs more than a shower. He has only been out for 2 hours but the Sun was piping hot that it has him sweating buckets. His top has been uncomfortably sticking onto his back. At least he can take his precious time which he usually doesn’t often get because of his tardiness in the morning.

Amber Kingdom, huh? Yifan has never been there before. He's already travel to all 4 Crystal Kingdoms which are Quartz, Sapphire, Emerald, and Charoite. Amber is still an untouched place for him.

3 years ago when his father and his brothers went on a 2-day trip to Amber for the amendment between two kingdoms, Yifan was forced to sit out because sadly, he was caught in a terrible flu. Once his brothers got home, both of them strangely had these sparks in their eyes. They gushed how the Amber princesses are like the descendants of angels.

It got Yifan very curious. Still, years have passed, and he has never gotten the chance to visit Amber Kingdom until today.

“Kyungsoo.” He calls for the man who is trailing behind him. “What do you know of the Amber Kingdom?”

“I know as much as you do, Prince Yifan.”

Hmm that's not much, Yifan thinks. Other than the cold war and brief history of the Amber Kingdom, he has not really heard much about them especially in terms of the recent generation.

“I heard the King's daughters are very stunning.” The shorter male indicates.

“So I have heard.” Something tells Yifan that it's going to be an interesting visit. His hunch has never failed him. “I’m looking forward to it.”

 

We’ll see what Amber Kingdom has in store for us.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After a few hours in the carriage, Yifan is the first to step out. Yawning, he stretches his limbs before the King hits him with his sceptre. “Behave.” Immediately, Yifan stands up straight.

Taking the view of his surrounding, the ambience is more... yellow. Yifan passes out halfway through the ride to Amber Kingdom as a result of him waking up way earlier than he used to so, he didn't really get to see much on the way to Amber's palace. But as compared to his nation where it lives up to the name Ruby, golden yellow is what Yifan is surrounded by.

Waiting for their arrival were 3 guards together with a young man who Yifan notes is wearing a very dashing yellow and brown suit. The man has his black hair slicked back but only a few strands that is left to hover his forehead. “What an honour to have the Royal Rubies visiting us in this fine noon. I am Jongdae and I will be guiding you to the King myself.” The man bows politely.

“Ah yes. We’ve met a few years ago. Would it be fine that we may have arrived earlier than arranged?”

“Well, prayers bestowed to an early bird than a latecomer, don’t we agree?” He replies humbly. Somehow that statement feels like a jab to Yifan. Even Ren glances at his way with his witty grin but Yifan has no problem ignoring him. He does it all the time anyways.

The chamberlain gestures the way into the Amber’s home and of course, Yifan had expected the interior design would be very much different from his place. The colour scheme itself is contrasting. Amber Palace is more… sophisticated, if Yifan is to describe it in a word. While his home is more… bold.

Still, it’s the first time Yifan has seen the insides of the Amber Palace so his eyes are more attentive than his brothers. What attracts his attention in the main living room is the humongous chandelier hanging at the high ceiling. Then only his eyes come down from the distracting chandelier and onto the three figures that are seated on the velvet chesterfield sofa.

It might only be in Yifan’s head but he thinks there’s a bright light radiating from those three.

 

The praises on the mien of Amber’s Royalties are not an overstatement.

 

“Your Majesty, the royal family of the Rubies has arrived. I welcome you King Jiang, the ruler of Ruby Kingdom and his sons, Prince Kevin, Prince Ren and the youngest, Prince Yifan.”

The man who looks about his father’s age greets them before introducing his wife and his eldest daughter. Yifan has heard that the King has 7 or 8 daughters, Yifan could not remember. Hence, he did not expect the eldest to look so… young.

“It would take a while before the other kingdoms arrive, have a seat for now.” The Queen gestures them to the seats adjacent to them. The maid strides instantly to the Queen’s side after she snaps her fingers. “Earl Grey would be lovely. Serve them to our guests.” The maid nods before disappearing along with the other half of the maids. “I do not think I recognize the youngest, King Jiang. Have we met before?”

Yifan perches up in his seat as soon as he heard his name. “Forgive me. I was absent during the amendment feast due to sickness. This would be my first meeting with the royalties of Amber.” The three of them slowly recalling the time when they were confused as to why there were only two princes by King Jiang’s side 3 years ago. “Good looks are bestowed to you, young prince.” The queen grins and even the King agrees.

For a while, the two Kings falls in a chatter of nostalgia, reminiscing the days when the cold war still took place. Because of their ancestors, the tension between the two kingdoms were prolonged. However, his father and King Cheng had never seen the tension as something necessary. Although they can’t change the mind of their rulers at that time, it was when the change of throne in the Ruby Kingdom three years ago that they were finally able to communicate diplomatically. At that time, the Amber Kingdom has long granted Cheng the title King.

This is what Yifan was taught in one of his classes years ago. He can recall them so it’s not really an unfamiliar topic for Yifan. Almost boring if you ask him. Instead, his mind subconsciously focuses on the fountain outside the gigantic window. If only Yifan can walk outside, take a fresh air to at least brush off the lingering sleepiness from his eyes.

Turns out, the eldest princess is able to sense his ‘lack of interest’. Or maybe Yifan is just that easy to read. “The garden is yours to wander, if you wish.” She offers with her soft velvety voice. Are all Ambers this soft-spoken? Yifan internally flushes. “Since it’s your first time in our home, I thought you’d be curious.”

“That’s a generous offer, Princess Bora but—” He couldn’t finish when his brother suddenly nudges him. “Go on, little brother. This opportunity won’t come when the other royalties arrive.”

“Aren’t you going to join as well?” Yifan asks.

This time, it is Prince Kevin who declined. “We’ve already done, remember? 3 years ago.”

Ahh… Well, despite everyone’s insisting, Yifan turns to his father, waiting for his call. With one nod from the King, he excuses himself politely before Jongdae returns to the living room and guides him to the main entrance again.

“I would love to accompany you through our Garden of Eve but I have errands to do for now. Will you be alright, your Highness?”

“The garden can’t be that big, right?”

The chamberlain chuckles before pretending to cough. “Well, each princess has their part of the garden. But pray you would not get lost, Prince Yifan.” With that, he retreats into the palace and Yifan is left with whether this Garden of Eve will be a flowery path or instead, a maze.

Nevertheless, Yifan takes his time strolling through the first part of the garden which is the cross-section with the fountain in the middle. It’s the one he saw inside minutes ago.

 

Now he understands why Jongdae had warned him of getting lost. It’s been almost 10 minutes and Yifan still thinks he is in the eldest sister’s part of flower garden. Does he have to go through all 8 of them?

As he was about to enter the third part of the garden, it was just a faint sound but Yifan can hear it very clearly. There’s a gut-wrenching sobs that tells him that he is not alone in the garden.

Perhaps a servant? Or could it be… a princess?

He follows the sniffles attentively until he reaches to a curtain of vines. Quietly as possible, he peeks through the vines, and he finds a man’s back facing him. No doubt the person is crying because even from behind, Yifan can see the man is wiping his tears with his hand.

“God, why do I have to be so stupid?” The man weeps only to break down again, his body wracked with an attack of sobs and tears.

It was just Yifan’s intention to get a closer look of the crying man but he underestimates the sound his steps can produce after accidentally stepping on some scattered dried leaves. The second his shoes betrayed him, the crying man stands up quickly and hides his face behind his palm. “Who is hiding?!” He shouts.

Ironically, both of them are hiding themselves.

Yifan enters through the vines to reveal himself and the man gasps while still covering his face except for his eyes. “You’re a royalty.” The man says after scanning Yifan from head to toe. Yifan wanted to say how he’s actually the Prince of Rub

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter