Eomma and Appa

BTOB One Shot Stories
(Minhyuk’s POV)

I’m still on my last year in college, and guess what? I already have 5 children. Unbelievable, right? But seriously I became a parent, a foster parent somehow. Me and Seo Eunkwang, my classmate, have raised these boys. I’ve met Eunkwang four years ago because we’re classmates, and what are the odds that we were the only freshmen sharing this dormitory with 6 seniors. We instantly became close friends then. We came back from our vacation weeks prior to the start of classes,we’re the only ones occupying the spacious dormitory intended for 8 people. Until our first child came. I remembered doing the dishes while Eunkwang was playing on his computer, it was past 8pm and who could possibly be knocking on the door at that time? As we open the door, a boy introduced himself to us. Lee Changsub, an incoming freshman. He told us he arrived late because he missed the bus. All of us get along easily, Eunkwang was really fond of him. He laughs at what this kid weirdly does. That was the start when me and Eunkwang felt the need to be a parent figure to this kid. We’re the older ones, we have the responsibility to take good care of our dongsaeng. Then few days before the classes officially started, our second child came. I was out that day, only Eunkwang and Changsub were left at the dorm. He greeted them with his warm smile .. and his eyes do the same. Eunkwang told me he looks adorable and I agreed. Im Hyunsik was added to the family. We would cook dishes at night and the two would do the dishes after. It recurrently happened everyday until they started calling us eomma and appa. It was no problem in deciding on who’s the mother and the father.

- -

Someone knocks on the door.

“Eomma! Changsub hyung is still sleeping.” Hyunsik complained outside.

“Where’s your father?” asked Minhyuk.

“Playing the computer.” Hyunsik respond.

Minhyuk immediately went to Eunkwang’s room, there he is, absorbed into playing while their third son is watching him. “Yeobo! I thought you’re already getting ready. You haven’t even checked if all your son is awake. Stop playing! And you, Peniel, you should get ready now.” he said, dragging Peniel out of the room.

Then he went to Changsub’s room, he’s still in his deep slumber. He started shaking the other one gently to wake him up. “Changsubie! It’s time to wake up, the others are getting ready now.”

Changsub failed to keep his eyes open for a while.

“I know it’s the weekend, but your dongsaengs want to go to the mall. We’ve talked about this last night. You can sleep at the bus later if you want.” Minhyuk said compellingly.

Changsub finally wakes up. Only his eomma can wake him up effectively.

- -

(Minhyuk’s POV)

Our sleepyhead Changsubie haven’t changed. He’s been that way since day one. No one can wake him up like I do. Eunkwang doesn’t know how to wake his son properly. He’ll only do earsplitting sounds just to wake him up, poor Changsubie, he’d suffer hearing loss if his father continually does that. Our Hyunsikie has a problem with tardiness too. It keeps on happening for a year, until our third child came, Shin Donggeun, our boy from Chicago. He had difficulty in speaking Korean when he moved here. Having him is like raising a baby, he kept on mumbling words that we don’t understand. We really tried our best to understand him, Eunkwang often talks to him and eventually he became better at Korean. His two other hyungs are there to help him, and occasionally pester him too. Changsub was the eldest one, but sometimes his two dongsaengs act more maturely than him. There are times that I had to hush Peunie, he just can’t filter his words out.

- -

Minhyuk was just fixing his things before they go out when he heard ruckus outside. Upon checking, the two youngest were fighting over the remote control.

“Yah! What’s happening here?” asked Minhyuk. Hyunsik shrugged in response as he continues to strum the guitar. Changsub was dozing off at the corner. Peniel was sitting at the couch, enjoying the fuss that his dongsaengs are doing.

“Eomma! I wanted to watch TV but Ilhoon hyung snatched the remote from me.”

“Because I came here first, I was just getting something from the kitchen.” Ilhoon defended.

“Liar! The TV was still off when I came here.” Sungjae argued back.

“Do I have to tell you  for a million times that I’m getting something from the kitchen? What are you going to watch anyway, cartoons? What are you? 7 years old?”

Sungjae frowned.

“Okay, enough both of you. We’re going out anyway, no need to fight over the remote. And where the hell is your father?”

“Still taking a shower.” Peniel answered.

“Aish! Seriously Seo Eunkwang?” Minhyuk muttered.

- -

(Minhyuk’s POV)

Just when I thought life could be chaotic when having three young adults who act like children, imagine an additional of two more children. It’s our last year in the university, when two more boys were added to the family. Jung Ilhoon and Yook Sungjae. Having these two together is total disaster. A day won’t be complete without them having childish arguments. The problem with their hyungs, instead of stopping the two, they’d fuel the two in fighting more. Being a mother of these boys is exhausting than my studies. You’re probably wondering about the room assignments. There are four rooms that two people can occupy. When Changsub and Hyunsik came, we all have separate rooms for ourselves since there are four rooms.  Then Peniel came, his two hyungs decided to share a room, thinking that maybe Peniel wants to have his own privacy, and so that he can adjust to a new environment as well. Lastly, just few months ago, the two youngest came. We made them choose on who they wanted to share a room with. Ilhoon chose me, while Sungjae chose Peniel, saying that he wanted to learn english with the help of his hyung. Sometimes,he would sleep in Eunkwang’s room too, whenever he just feel like it. Our maknae is really the baby.

- -

They are now on their way to the mall, which will take half an hour of ride on the bus. Minhyuk decided to sit beside Changsub so he can easily wake him up. Hyunsik and Peniel were sitting beside each other. Eunkwang, Ilhoon and Sungjae were all sitting at the back. Fortunately, the two aren’t starting any trouble yet. In no time, they have arrived on their destination. Minhyuk didn’t have any trouble waking Changsub up. But he had to guide him in going down since he’s still half awake. They went shopping first until everyone agrees to have their lunch. They mostly spent their time at the arcade. Eunkwang was able to get the 5 of them plushies that he won from the claw machine.

“Appa is really the best!” Sungjae was overjoyed upon receiving a plushy.

Few more hours at the arcade until Minhyuk decided that it’s time to go back to the dorm. They all spent too much money at the arcade already. Eunkwang and Minhyuk decided to cook them dinner rather than going out to eat or buying outside. The helpful son, Peniel, assist the parents while they’re cooking. Hyunsik was looking out after Ilhoon and Sungjae. While Changsub, as expected, went straight to his room to sleep. An hour later, they have finished preparing for dinner. The 7 of them gathered to eat. Ilhoon and Sungjae expressed how they enjoy their day, as they were the ones who asked their hyungs to spend the day at the mall.

“Appa’s cooking really did improve through the years.” Hyunsik said.

“Of course. It wouldn’t be possible without the help of your eomma.” Eunkwang said, while looking at Minhyuk.

“What are we going to do without the two of you?” asked Sungjae.

Then it just dawned on them, the two eldest are bound to graduate soon. They’ll be on their separate ways after that.

“I envy Changsub and Hyunsik hyung. You’ve been their eomma and appa for so long. Can you just stay for one more year? I promise I’ll be good, I won’t fight over petty things with Ilhoon hyung.” Sungjae sounded just like a child, innocent yet sincere.

Everyone was silent, they were dumbfounded at the maknae’s sudden thoughts about their eomma and appa leaving.

- -

Sungjae’s words have struck Minhyuk the most. Even though it was barely a year when he became an eomma to the maknae, he didn’t expect that he’d feel that way. He only move to the city with the intention to finish his college, but he was able to meet Eunkwang. Then Changsub, Hyunsik, Peniel, Ilhoon, and Sungjae came. He have 5 children. They didn’t just become brothers. The bond that they all have is special. Being their eomma was a fulfilling experience. Even if it was only for a short period of time, he was able to see their growth. He was fond of them, saying goodbye would really be difficult for him.

Him and Eunkwang decided to talk to the maknae.

“Sungjae-yah, what’s wrong? You were the happiest back in the mall.” asked Eunkwang.

“I am. It’s just sad knowing that there won’t be more like that when you leave.” Sungjae frowned. “Before I entered the dormitory, I didn’t expect that it would be this. It’s like a second home, it’s really close to my heart. My first few days here was the hardest, I’m having separation anxiety already. But you were able to ease my sadness. I didn’t only gain friends, but a family. Like literally. I have a father and a mother, with 4 older brothers. Then the hyungs would tell me stories about what had happened during their stay here. How I wish that I was able to meet all of you sooner. It’s like leaving home all over again, it’s hard to say goodbye.” Sungjae started sobbing. Minhyuk immediately embraced him.

“It would be hard for us too Sungjae-ah. If we can stay here until all of you graduate, we would. But going on separate ways is inevitable. We promise to visit all of you as long as we can.” Eunkwang comforts the younger one.

“We still have four months left together. We’ll go to places that you wanted every weekend.” Minhyuk said, to lighten up the maknae, but he still looks doleful. “We’ll definitely see each other again soon. Did you think eomma will just forget all of you?.”

The thought of separation gave them an overwhelming emotion. Eunkwang was already shedding tears. Upon seeing the two crying, Minhyuk can’t control his tears anymore. But as anticlimactic as it is, someone just bumped his head onto the door.

“Yah! Why did you push me?” asked Changsub.

“I didn’t intend to do that hyung. I lose my balance” Ilhoon said as a defense.

“Quiet both of you.” Hyunsik tried to hush them down, while Peniel was trying to hold back his laughter.

They were all startled when Eunkwang opened the door. “You were all eavesdropping, weren’t you?”

They were trying to make up excuses, but seeing the situation now have break their hearts. Ilhoon who started crying runs to Minhyuk right away. Their hyungs started crying silently too.

“What’s going on? It’s not .. that we’re leaving tomorrow. We still have fo-four ..  months .. to-togther.” Eunkwang stuttered.

They huddled for a group hug. “This parting will only be temporary. Work hard until we see each other again. Make eomma and appa proud.” Eunkwang and Minhyuk embraced their kids tightly. 

 

(I miss the hyung line)