chapter 02

Here We Go Again

02

Kim Dahyun is a sophomore in high school. She is quite popular around her classmate because of her friendliness. She isn’t called social-butterfly for nothing, because she literally can interact with all kinds of people; let it be children or elderly. She is kind and caring which made people to love her. If that’s not enough, Dahyun is also one of the top students too. Her academic is as good as her personality. Not only is she brainy or smart, she is also happened to be an athletic. She play soccer for the school and is the captain of the club. It’s like there is nothing Dahyun can’t do. She is just a perfect role for everyone.

That’s why her best friend, Son Chaeyoung love her endearingly. And of all people, Dahyun always put her best friend a priority beside her family. Chaeyoung is a childhood friend from primary school up until high school. They live in the same street, just three houses away.

Now here’s an interesting fact about Dahyun; her ash-coloured hair is a natural colour, it’s safe to say that she was born with it. People might think that why on Earth would a student with good grades and behaviour is colouring her hair? Where is the discipline? People might asked. Well, everyone already know the truth about her hair so it doesn’t become a problem to her anymore. But she was bullied for having different hair colour when she is in primary school, gladly it stopped after middle school. Before Dahyun become this popular, it was only Chaeyoung with her. Now that they are in high school, they grew together and become the dynamic duo.

Her friend, Chaeyoung is more popular in high school than Dahyun. At first, she was popular around girls because of her martial art skills. She is a black belt in taekwondo now. Then, she gain more fame after joining cheerleading club because of her body goals. This made a lot of guys lining up for her. She becomes everyone’s crush after she cut her hair short, making her look stunning and mature like a true girl crush. Even Dahyun admitted how pretty Chaeyoung has become.

 

“Do you have practice after this?” Chaeyoung asked while putting her book back inside her locker.

 

“Yeah. You can head home without me.” Dahyun took out another bag from the locker; containing her soccer jersey and sport shoes.

 

“Are you nuts? As if I’ll let you go home alone. I’ll wait for you.” Chaeyoung told her.

 

“But what about homeworks?” Dahyun asked with her big eyes.

 

“I may not be a smarty pants as you, but I can do that at night.” Chaeyoung replied, smiling at her.

 

“Okay. We’ll grab ice cream after my practice.” Dahyun smiled back.

 

“Sure. So while you’re changing, I’m going to head to the library first to return the book I borrowed.” Chaeyoung told, tapping the book in her hand.

 

“Okay. I’ll see you at the field then.” Dahyun responded, Chaeyoung only nodded and left.

 

Dahyun proceed to the girl’s lavatory to change into her sport attire.

At the same time but at a different place, Momo and Nayeon are waiting for Sana inside the car. They are currently in the university, about to go back to their campus house. The lectures are done for the day, Sana couldn’t wait to lay down on her bed and have her warmth bath.

 

“Oh god, that was a long lecture. I thought it won’t ever end.” Sana complained as she enter the car. Nayeon laughed, knowing all too well about her friend’s behaviour as she had predicted it.

 

“Are you ready to find the girl?” Momo asked out of the blue from the passenger seat.

 

“What girl?” Sana bewildered, furrowing her eyebrows. Honestly, her brain cannot function properly at the moment, not after the long lecture.

 

“Oh come on, stop pretending like you weren’t thinking about her the whole day.” Momo smirked teasingly.

 

Sana’s eyes widen in confusion. “Oh.” formed an ‘O’ letter as she finally grasp the situation. “Wait, were you serious about finding her?” She asked. Truthfully though, Momo was right because she did thought of the girl during her boring lecture but she didn’t think Momo would be serious about it.

 

“Of course I am. The girls were cute, I need to show them to Nayeon.” Momo replied.

 

“Yeah, who knows one of them is my type.” Nayeon teased, raising one eyebrow.

 

“Hey back off! I’m only showing you because I want you to know I’m right about it.” Momo explained, making her friends to laugh at her for getting irritated.

 

“Okay, so what uniform are they wearing?” Nayeon asked. They are already on the road, leaving the university and is now passing by their campus house.

 

“Black.” Momo answered shortly.

 

“Wow, that’s a very helpful answer.” Nayeon respond sarcastically.

 

“With red ties.” Momo answered again.

 

“Momo, there are like 10 high schools with black suit and red ties in this country.” Nayeon retorted, while Sana shook her head with a muffled laugh from the back seat.

 

“The girls were wearing skirts.”Momo tried again, only getting worse with her answers.

 

“You’ve been staring at them for hours this morning, and that’s the only thing you noticed from their uniform?” Nayeon asked in disbelief. Sana finally burst into laughter at her friend’s idiotic.

 

“Sana, stop laughing and help her out.” Nayeon chortled, glancing her eyes through the rear mirror to spot Sana who is cackling behind her.

 

“I think they are from J.Y High School.” She replied after she had stop laughing.

 

“Yeah exactly, they wore red skirts.” Momo butted in with her exaggerating eye expression.

 

“Okay, you could’ve said it like that in the beginning.” Nayeon told Momo, joining the laugh.

 

Momo is just naturally funny without even trying. Her airhead personality always amuse her friends, maybe that’s what make her an enjoyable person. But sometimes it can also get them into trouble. For instant, there is this one time where they weren’t supposed to go outside the campus after 3am so the securities were patrolling around. They got caught for sneaking out when Momo bluntly told the gate-guard the truth.

 

“Where are you girls going at this late hour?” The guard asked with her torch light flashing on them inside Momo’s Mustang.

 

“Oh, we’re going to this big party in the city. I heard it’s going to be pretty wild because they’ll be bringing some good stuff, if you know what I mean.” Momo answered from the driver seat while raising her brow by the end of her sentence. It was already too late for Nayeon and Sana to in into the conversation. Despair look on their faces when the guard furrowed her eyebrows at them.

 

“Don’t worry, we won’t be gone for long. We will be back here before dawn.” She told innocently, like she just hadn’t made a mistake. Clearly, Momo cannot read the situation and thus got them into trouble.

 

That’s how their plan got cancelled, and their names were put on a watch-out book list. Whose ever name is written inside the book will have the worst campus life ever because once their names is in there, they will be ‘watched’ the entire time by the securities. And as creepy as it sounds, it’s a bore as well like they are being babysit. Fortunately though, Nayeon was able to remove their names using her wealth to save their friends from the terrible misfortune. Momo learn her lesson, or maybe she is still working on that.

On the other hand, Dahyun is currently on the field. It has been three hours after they started, she is drenched with sweat all over her body and neck. Chaeyoung sit on the nearest bench, with her phone on her hand while glancing at Dahyun at times to see if she is still fine. There’s nothing to worry about, but Chaeyoung found herself often checking on her best friend. The way Dahyun huffed and puffed while running on the field, with sweats on her neck and dirty jerseys made Chaeyoung realize how determined her friend is with her sport. Unknowingly, she put on a smile at the sight she’s witnessing. To say Chaeyoung is proud is an understatement, because she has always been so proud of Dahyun that she would do anything to make her happy.

The soccer team have their break after few more scores, Dahyun went to Chaeyoung for a drink. She knew her best friend will provide her with her favourite strawberry flavoured tonic drink. Dahyun gulped down the sport drink and wipe her sweats on her forehead.

 

“Ew, you stink!” Chaeyoung teased, recording a video of her sweaty friend using her phone.

 

“Shut up! I will hug you while I sweat.” Dahyun tried to intimidate her by raising her brows.

 

“Try me.” Chaeyoung dared. It didn’t take Dahyun a while to think through for her action, she instantly wrapped her arm around Chaeyoung with her sweaty body.

 

“Dubs! Ew, get off of me!” Chaeyoung plead only making Dahyun to laugh harder and hug her even tighter.

 

“Kim Dahyun, I swear to god.” She tried pushing her away but Dahyun is a lot stronger than her, and in terms of size, Dahyun is at advantage because Chaeyoung is smaller than her so she didn’t budge at all by her push.

 

Dahyun laugh hysterically that her stomach cramped from laughing for too long. She let go of Chaeyoung and let the smaller girl throw small punches on her arm. Dahyun tried defending her body by holding Chaeyoung’s hand together.

 

“See, this is why you shouldn’t ask for stupid things because I would gladly do it.” Dahyun stuck her tongue out.

 

“Ew, I smell like your sweat now!” Chaeyoung complained with a disgusted face on her look after smelling her arm.

 

“Hey, that’s a legend smell. A victory’s smell, I might add.” Dahyun giggled.

 

“Shut up. Get back on the field.” Chaeyoung jeered while rolling her eyes on the latter. Then she formed a big smile with a head shake after her friend leave to continue her practice.

 

The practice went on for another hours until the captain call it a day. Dahyun, the leader of the team told everyone about the upcoming sport festival, reminding them to get enough rest and to attend the practice every after school in order to win the tournament during the festival. Then her teammates start scattering after her final words. Chaeyoung stood behind Dahyun while carrying their bags, ready to leave just like the rest.

 

“Alright captain, let’s go get that promised ice cream together.” Chaeyoung exclaimed while she hand her bag.

 

“Aye!” Dahyun raised her fist to the air and grinned. “Let me just change first.” She told her friend.

 

Just when they were about to leave the school gate, a white Volkswagen came approaching from the right. It stopped the two girls from cycling as the car blocked their way.

 

“Who is this?” Dahyun asked her best friend with a confused look. Chaeyoung only shrugged.

 

Later, the passenger come out from the car. A tall girl with a dark long hair and a front fringe greeted them.

 

“Hello girls.” She smiled. They know her- they’ve seen her this morning.