HER | I

Her

It all happened four years ago but the memory was still fresh. Yujin stood in front of Minjoo's house while having flashbacks of that day. She's hoping to have a talk with Minjoo after everything that happened. 

"Excuse me, can I help you with something?" A girl's voice made Yujin snap back to reality.

"Oh, do you know if the Kims still live here?" 

"Ah, Minjoo and her family..."

"They moved out two years ago." The young girl's face fell by what she heard.

"Do you perhaps know where they moved?" Yujin was determined to see her, to talk to her. 

"I don't know anything else. I'm sorry." Yujin's shoulders fell upon hearing those words. She will do everything to find her. She can't miss the chance now. 

The young girl snapped out of her thoughts when she felt her phone buzz in her pocket. The message she recieved made her chest tighten as she hurriedly opened her car door. 

Mom Eunbi: 

- Yujin, where are you? 
- I know that you'll be back next week but you need to come here right now.
- Your patient, Jang Wonyoung. Her health had worsened, the doctors suggested to move her operation next week.

.
.
.
.

The ten hour flight from Korea to San Francisco made the young doctor exhausted. She was in Korea to find her, she wants to talk to her, she wants to clear things out, to explain everything if it's not too late. 

'Maybe this isn't the right time yet.' Yujin thought. 

"Yujin!" Yujin quickly turned her head to find the owner of the voice as she shut the door of her car. 

"Yena!" She shouted back at the older girl who just got out from a van and is now running towards her. 

"Thank goodness you are here now." Yena said as they were heading inside the hospital. 

"It's Wonyoung that we're talking about here. She is important." Yujin sighed, exhaustion was written on her face. Yena, was the opposite, the older girl was very hyper and didn't seem to be tired from all of the hospital work.

'Does Yena even work?' Yujin thought.

"Yena, how's Wonyoung by the way? Where's Eunbi?" The atmosphere became dead serious. It took a while for Yena to respond.

"O-Oh, W-Wonyoung? She had multiple seizures this week. I had to monitor her every hour because she almost had a f-flat line..... Eunbi had a morning shift today, she said that she'll be back at 5 AM. I have to go now, Yujin. I need to run some tests in the lab. I– I'm sorry." Yena gave the latter a forced smile and walked away. 

.
.
.
.

The doctor sighed heavily after she ran up the stairs to reach the third floor. 

Room 31 

Upon opening the door, Yujin's face fell. Her tears were attempting to fall.

Yujin didn't expect to see her like this. She looked so small on that bed. New machines and cords were attached to support her. Eunbi was right, her health had really worsened just by the look of it. The room was cold and silent. You can only hear the heart monitor beeping. 

"Wonyoung, have you missed me?" Yujin held the younger girl's cold hand. 

"I'm sorry for leaving you here. I shouldn't have left you, I shouldn't have let you be like this. I thought you were already doing good, why did this happened? Please be strong. We still have lots to do, Wonyoung. Please get well soon. We'll have mint chocolate ice cream after this, I promise. Just... be strong and wake up. I'll do everything for you to be better." The young doctor's tears were like waterfalls. She can't help but sob as she held the girl's hand tighter. Yujin knew she had to do everything to save her. She can't let her go. She will never let her go. 

.
.
.
.

The next day felt dreading. Yujin sat on her chair, blankly staring at her empty office. She almost jumped when she heard someone knock. 

"Yes, come in." She sighed as she fixed herself. 

Yujin felt a bad feeling when she met the gazes of Wonyoung's parents. 

"Oh... Hi Aunt Jang and Uncle Jang. Good morning. Do you want something before we start–" 

"Yujin, we made our decision." The latter faltered. Her hands were trembling. 

'No, this can't be.' She thought. 

"We love our daughter so much. She brought us joy and happiness when she was born. She became the light of our lives, she made us truly happy. Wonyoung, she's a gift from the above. We have everything and we couldn't ask for more. We treated her like an actual princess, we wanted the best for her everytime. We love her so much. W– We love her so much... and we think it's time to let her go." Wonyoung's parents both sobbed uncontrollaby while the young doctor was lost for words. She didn't know how to respond with what she just heard. It was like a hammer is being pounced on her chest.

"B– But sir..." Before Yujin can speak her thoughts, a flood of tears fell from her eyes. She didn't want to cry again. It wasn't easy to take. 

"Yujin, please. She already suffered for almost two years. She suffered enough. It's time to let her be."