Identity

"We're just friends, right?"
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good morning, Sana…” She lets out a sleazy yawn.

“Hmm?” I raised my brows. “You’re up early today? That’s unusual.” I was in the midst of preparing breakfast.

Momo NEVER wakes up early. If it’s the one thing I’ve learnt from growing up her is that she would never ever wake up this early. Trust me, Momo and waking up early could never be in the same sentence, especially if you know it’s that bad if her Mom has literally begged me to do something about it. But it somehow feels kinda worrisome, yet pleasant I suppose.

“Remember yesterday when we were late..? I wanted to make it up to you by waking this early for once.” She said. “I’m sorry for yesterday.”

I laughed heartily. “So what about tomorrow?”

“Well...tomorrow is umm...tomorrow.” She mumbles embarrassingly. “We’ll see.”

“Thanks for making me happy today then.” I beamed. “Quickly wash up and have breakfast.”

“Yes…” She yawns once again.

“Oh, how have you grown Momo!” I playfully yelled across the room.

“Shut up Sana!” Her muffled voice came from the toilet.

 

It does make me happy yet gives me a false sense of uncertainty. I just can’t shake off this feeling. This is what I always wanted ever since we came to Korea but it just feels - can’t describe it, what’s the word?

 

Different?

 

Maybe this was it.


 

 

 

 

“Sana.”

“Yes, Momo?”

“I was thinking. Do you want to join a club?”

I turned towards her.
“What type of club?”

“I don’t know. Maybe joining a club would help pass the time faster. But the problem is-”

“Which?” We both said in unison.

I smiled.

“I know. How about you joining the Drama Club? You seemed pretty interested in their play that other day? How about it?” I suggested.

“Aren’t you going to join the same club as me?” Her face visibly disappointed. “You made it sound like it’s going to be just me there.” Her voice had a tinge of disappointment.

“I don’t know Momo… The Drama Club just doesn’t seem to be my thing.” I chuckled. “I could accompany you to sign up though.” I tried to cheer her up.

Her face brightens up. “Really?” She exclaims.

As much as i wanted to be with Momo (to make sure she’s not tripping somewhere else all the time), I realised joining a club that I didn’t have the slight interest in would well, make it boring. Also, Momo seemed somehow so bent on trying to be more independent these few days, it wouldn’t hurt for me to respect her (concealed) wishes. Maybe it was also time for me to let go a little and convince myself fully that Momo isn’t that young girl anymore and now is a full-blown adult. (I sound like an exaggerated Mom, I know.)

 

I’ll join something else that I like.



 

 

 

 

“I got in!” She yelled from across the hallway. I beamed her a smile as she excitedly run towards me. I extended my arms to welcome her into a tight ‘congratulatory’ hug.

“Congratulations, Momo. You did well.”

“The impromptu practices at home paid off.” She smiles widely. “All thanks to you Sana-chan.”

“You were the one who made it work.” I giggled.

“Now let’s go celebrate somewhere else - all these people are staring at us.” I patted her back and laughed embarrassingly “Let’s go eat something nice, I’ll treat.”

“Yay. Jokbal?”

“Sure. Whatever you like.” I smiled.



 

 

 


 

“Sit here. I’ll go order cakes and coffee.” Momo nodded like a little child.

I made my way to the counter. We decided that we should have dessert after dinner because a certain someone didn’t feel full enough. Godbless Momo’s huge appetite. I sighed internally.

 

“Hi, what may I get you?” A small petite lady, with prominently blond locks came over. When she smiled, she had adorable dimples that arched up automatically. I smiled back -  it was contagious. Her blond hair suits her a lot.

“Hi, may I get two Iced Lattes and a piece of Strawberry Shortcake?” I replied, fussing over the cash in my wallet.

“Two Iced Lattes?” She peeked out of the counter and looked around. “Ahh, for you and your girlfriend?” She smiled.

I was taken aback.

“Uh...No. She’s just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter