The New Duty

Guns and Roses (A few years later)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Laying low and living almost peacefully for five years had turned Min Yoongi into a studious person who spends his free time advancing his knowledge in the tech world and applying the skills he had learned with the resources he possessed. It has been the only way that had helped to draw him away from the lures of the illicit businesses he used to participate in. Nonetheless, as much as he had tried to never return to his dark past and ways, there was no denying that sometimes, he would catch himself subconsciously cracking up lawbreaking ideas in his mind and having the temptation to execute them for his own amusement.

Of course, having committed a lot of crimes in his life and serving jail time in his youth, violating the law was not something foreign to him or something that he feared. If it was anything that was holding him back from his crime desires, it was his wife, Son Seungwan, the woman whom he fears to disappoint. He had vowed to Seungwan that he would steer clear of any form of crime after they got married four years ago and he has been very careful not to betray her trust. Even though he does, at times, get frustrated with the job he had settled for, as a tech support member in a local company and also earning less than his wife(who now owns her own clinic), he was not willing to put his marriage at stake by falling back to his old ways.

"Babe, I'm home..." -Seungwan entered his office-room with a smile on her face before walking over to smother his face with kisses. "What has my favourite techie been up to?"

"Nothing much..." -He sighed, not even pushing her away in annoyance like he used to in the earlier days of their relationship, "Just...doing some reading. I'm looking for ideas on how I could make a business of my own with my self-taught knowledge."

"Ooo~what sort of business do you want to start?" -she asked, taking a seat on his desk as she wrapped her arms around him.

"You know I could do a lot more than just fixing glitches in systems for dumb people..." -Yoongi said, giving her a look as if he was pleading for her to give him a green light to what he has in mind.

"Hey, that's mean. I'm one of those dumb people you've helped before. Not everyone is as tech-savvy as you are, babe. I can't believe that has been the way you think of me, all along."

"Everyone else is dumb but you're an exception..." -he plainly replied with a shrug,

"Ugh, whatever. Look, I know you have a talent for a lot of things, baby..." -Seungwan cupped his face in her hands, "As long as whatever it is that you plan to do, guarantees us that it would not put you in hot water, I'm fine with it."

"What if it doesn't guarantee anything but I try not to get caught?" -he attempts to negotiate with her conditions,

"Then the answer is straight up No." -Seungwan immediately said, not even giving him a chance to tell her what his idea was.

"Ugh...You're such a stickler for the rules..." -Yoongi rolled his eyes and pouted, "I never knew being 'good' would be so...draining..."

"You're doing great, baby." -Seungwan tries to lift his spirits up, "You've already had the time of your life messing around. We can't afford to live a reckless life anymore...especially now that you're about to be a father."

Curling his eyebrows at her words, Yoongi gave Seungwan a confused look before he asked, "What did you say?"

Smiling as placed her palm on her stomach, Seungwan replied, "I'm pregnant, Yoongi..."

"Wait...what?" -Yoongi questioned, looking a little less confused and a little more shocked. 

"There's a baby growing in my -"

"No, no, no. I know what pregnant means, Seungwan."- He immediately cuts her off, standing up on his feet with his mouth half-opened. "Y-You're not messing with me, are you?"

"I'm not. I secretly took a pregnancy test a few days ago and the sign showed positive. I didn't want to break the news to you before making sure that it was true. So...I secretly made an appointment with a gynaecologist today and...she confirmed it." -Seungwan answered, smiling from ears to ears as she clapped her hands together in excitement, "Surprise!"

Not knowing how to react to the unexpected news, Yoongi stood frozen with a dumbfounded look on his face, speechless. 

"B-Babe...?" -Seungwan carefully got down from his desk and walked towards him, "Is everything okay? Y-You don't look too good..."

When he noticed how fast Seungwan's expression changed, he immediately pulled her into a hug. He rested his chin against her shoulder and wrapped his arms around her tight, trying to make it seem as if he was delighted of the news when he was honestly just in shock and didn't know what to feel, at the moment.

"I'm sorry..." -he said, finally able to speak. "I was just...a little overwhelmed."

"Are you...happy?" -Seungwan asked,

"Yes. Of course. D-Definitely..." -Yoongi stuttered, hugging her a little tighter.

《------》

"I can't believe this..." -Yoongi lets out a deep, troubling sigh as he buried his face in his hands.

Pouring him a glass of beer, Kim Seokjin chuckled and said, "Congratulations!"

"A baby...child..." -Yoongi muttered to himself, "A father. I'm going to be a father."

"Yes, Hyung. We get it." -Jungkook laughed at Yoongi's nervousness towards the matter. "Come on. It's not that bad. Take a look at Jin Hyung. He's living the best life with Naeun."

"Consider yourself lucky..." -Taehyung said with a sullen pout, "I've been wanting to have a child but Joohyun's still not ready to conceive yet ever since...you know, the parcel threat we received at the doorstep for Naeun. Since that day, Joohyun has always been making sure that we're careful."

"You just had~ to bring up about that parcel..." -Namjoon sighed, "That was five years ago. It's crap."

"The parcel's besides the point. The point is that I'm going to be a father in about 9 months and I don't even know how to be one." -Yoongi said, grasping his hair as he stared down on the floor, long and hard, "Babies! Diapers! What am I going to do? I'm not too fond of kids and kids aren't too fond of me, either. I mean, you've seen how I was with Naeun. That kid scares the out of me."

"Hey, 'that kid' is my daughter." -Seokjin shot Yoongi a piercing glare, taking offence to his remark. "Watch your words..."

"Dude, Naeun likes you. Look, if you didn't want one, you should've thought about that sooner." -Namjoon snorted, 

"I never said I didn't want a child!" -Yoongi argued, "Being a father is a ing big deal, alright?! I'm only saying that...I'm not entirely ready to be one." 

"What do you mean you're not ready?" -Seokjin questioned, then chuckled as he answered, "The last time I saw you behave this way was the night before your wedding. You were scared because marriage wasn't something you have ever thought about in your life before you met Seungwan...but look at you, now. Things worked out fine, didn't it?"

"Dude, marrying the person you love and being a father are two different things. What the hell is your point?"

"Fine. It's a little different...but the feeling's better if not similar..." -Seokjin shrugged, "You know, when I found out that I was going to be a father, I was terrified as ...but when Naeun came into the world and I held her in my arms for the first time, all of my worries just went away. All I could think about was being the best father she needs and it was a personal promise I made to myself. She's the light of my life."

"And what am I?" -asked Sooyoung, casually joining her husband and his friends at the patio. Of all the spaces that were available for her to take, somehow Seokjin's lap was where she wanted to sit on. Wrapping her arms around Seokjin's neck, she greeted his friends with a smile before she shamelessly makes out with her husband right in front of them. 

"You're my queen..."-Seokjin answered as soon as she breaks away from the kiss. 

"Nice save."-She smiled, then shifted her attention to the other guys who couldn't seem to hide their grimace, "I wonder why my brother's always not around whenever you boys have a small get-together like this. Did you not invite him, today?"

"Hey, don't make us look bad. We don't have a problem with your brother." -Taehyung replied, "Perhaps, you should ask him why he doesn't want to hang with us, lately."

"Ah...I might know something about that..." -Namjoon lightly ruffled the back of his head as he slouched back on his seat. "Uh...he's been having a rough time with Seulgi recently so...you know..."

"No, we don't..." -Jungkook said, hoping Namjoon would elaborate a little more about their friend's relationship. "Wait a sec. How come you know about this and we don't?" 

"Come to think of it..." -Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows and turned to look at his second brother, "I did ask Seulgi if she wanted to come over and join us and she asked me if you're gonna come too. When I told her that you were coming, she immediately said that she was busy and then she hung up. I thought that was weird but I wasn't suspecting anything up til now."

"Is there something...going on here that you'd like to tell us, Namjoon?" -Seokjin cocked an eyebrow, giving his second brother a suspicious look.

"Hey, uh...I think we got a little sidetracked, here. We were discussing Yoongi and his father-to-be situation." -Namjoon immediately switched the conversation topic back to his friend to save himself from having to tell them the truth about his awkward situation with Seulgi. 

"Oh right!" -Sooyoung exclaimed, "I heard about the news! Congratulations, Yoongi! I'm so happy for you and Seungwan. Naeun's finally going to have a friend to play with! You know what? Call me if Seungwan needs any help in the next few months. Seokjin could also share you some tips on how to deal with her mood swings..."

"What mood swings...?" -Yoongi asked,

"About that..." 

While Seokjin and Sooyoung were sharing their 'parenthood' first experience with an agitated-looking Min Yoongi, Jeon Jungkook who was barely paying any attention to the conversation was immediately distracted when he spotted his ex-girlfriend, from the opened win

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter