Part VI

Of Smoke Rings and Cigarettes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
5 YEARS LATER

 

Many things can change in 5 years.

Danah has never been one to think of herself before her other siblings, but Yoongi’s words got her thinking that maybe she should start being a little selfish. So she waited patiently for two years, working endless hours while Lisa would study hard, Samuel in the back of her mind, before she had gathered enough money to secure Lisa’s education for the rest of the year. Only then has she managed to relax, give in her letter of resignation, and start doing what she really wanted.

Danah has always been attracted to helping people, and not because it makes her feel better about herself but only because it alleviates some part of the guilt she feels. So it’s only normal that when she stumbles upon an ad looking for a primary school art teacher, she doesn’t think twice before jumping at the chance.

Of course, she doesn’t have any background education. She has to fund for some crash courses, having sealed a deal with the said school that she could work with them as long as she fullfilled her qualifications. And so, she spent most of her free time studying, actually feeling like a real student after so long.

She feels accomplished once she gets the job, promises that she’ll do her best to certify her knowledge, and her siblings are more than proud to watch her grow and learn and become someone driven with passion.

Throughout all this, Yoongi sends her a bunch of letters, to which she writes back with barely contained excitement at every passing day that gets him closer to his desired freedom. It’s hard sometimes, tougher on others, but she does her best to keep the hope and optimism alive even when five years is a long way down the line.

It’s a typical Tuesday afternoon and Danah is correcting some third grader’s attempts at an Essay. It’s cute, filled with innocence and honesty that it makes her giggle. More and more she seems to appreciate the nature of children, and plus, they’ve all grown on her individually. There is so much potential in every student that it makes her proud to see them grow. As she’s busy jotting down a few encouraging notes for one of her brightest children, there’s a knock upon her office door.

‘Come in,’ she calls out without looking up from her corrections. She sees someone enter from the corner of her eye, and it’s only when she recognises a glimpse of white blond hair that she looks up.

Yoongi gazes back at her. Not a word is spoken.

Danah’s pen clatters onto the table. She jolys up from her desk as though it burns her, blinking at the said individual with dawning realisation.

‘What— What are you—‘ she struggles to find the words that are lodged in the back of , ‘You never told me when you were coming back.’

‘I wanted to surprise you.’ He steps towards her desk, advancing slowly while his eyes trailed up her features, taking in all of her presence like she’s a breathtaking view he has yet to see.

‘When did you get out?’

‘This morning.’ He places a hand onto her desk, leaning casually with his head cocked to the side. A smirk slides onto his curved lips and she stares, transfixed by the recognizable yet foreign gesture.

This is Yoongi. She knows him, and yet it seems like she doesn’t. He’s familiar yet unfamiliar. Foreign but family.

The emotional wave hits her like a ton of bricks, causing her to gasp in surprise. Before she knows it, she has jumped into his arms and has shoved her face into the crook of his neck, happy tears threatening to spill at the corner of her eyes.

He’s here, she chants like a never ending prayer, he’s here in the flesh. Finally.

She can’t— she won’t believe it. This feels unreal— is unreal.

And yet it’s not.

‘I missed you,’ she unconsciously whispers into the hollow between his neck and shoulder, before realizing what she just said.

Her mind blanks. Her breath leaves her.

She’s about to take a step back and recoil from the sudden confession, only to be restrained when Yoongi’s arms tighten around her.

His mouth places itself at her ear, warm breath washing over her skin and sending a skittle of electrical sparks down her back, ‘I missed you too.’

A soft blush blossoms through her face, and she’s thankful that at this moment he can’t see her expression. So she stays in his embrace, relishes in the warmth it gives her, appreciates his strong frame against her bony curves. It’s been a while and they are silent for a long moment, just appreciating each other’s presence.

Danah would’ve probably held on forever if the director hadn’t knocked at her office door asking her to close up and go home. She’s known for overworking herself, which had resulted in a few trips to the hospital, and she quickly hollers out an answer as Yoongi chuckles into her ear.

‘How’d you find me?’ She asks when they pull away so that she can pack up her stuff. Danah shoves the things into her bag without much care, scared that if she looks away Yoongi might be gone.

‘I have my ways,’ he sends her a pointed look, ‘Why did you think Chang loved me so much?’

Danah grimaces, ‘right.’

‘How are Samuel and Lisa?’ He asks.

‘Fine,’ she replies while putting some order on her desk, ‘Lisa’s doing what she loves and I’m so happy for her. Samuel is growing too fast for his own good. You should see him talk now. God, he loves talking. He’ll be like one of those business men who love talking when he grows up.’

‘Really?’ The blonde man’a lips curve into a smile, affection glimmering through his eyes, ‘I’m glad to hear that.’

‘And you?’ Danah looks at him with a raised brow, ‘how are you?’

Her question holds so much depth and she knows it. But it only depends on Yoongi, how much he’ll give away to the life of one who’s restrained to a cell for twenty three hours a day.

‘I’m alright.’ He clears his throat, ‘It’s been a long five years.’

‘I can imagine that.’

‘There are some… good people.’ He continues hesitantly, ‘some are there because of the circumstances. Course, there are some that deserve to be where they are. But for some you feel bad. It’s when you know the system’s ed.’

‘Like every other system.’

He nods, ‘basically.’

‘So where are you staying?’ She asks as they make their way out through the school courtyard. Part of her hopes that he’s already secured his own place so that she can be relieved for him, so that she can keep her distance. The other part— the selfish part— just hopes he’ll just come over to stay, if only for one night.

She missed him so much.

‘I don’t have anywhere to stay,’ he ruffles the back of his head before squinting up at the afternoon sky, ‘I guess I’ll have to start flat hunting.’

‘You can stay.’ She blurts out before she can stop herself, ‘with us. For one night, I mean.’

A pause ensues and Danah isn’t sure whether that’s a good sign or not. Her heart is beating so hard she practically feels it booming through her ears like drums. Yoongi’s eyes dall onto hers, as if contemplating her decision for a few beats of silence. And when she thinks that it might’ve been just the stupidest idea to propose, the corner of hi mouth slides up into a crooked smirk. The one that she likes so much.

‘Sure,’ his shoulder lifts into a shrug, ‘I guess it can’t hurt.’

After Yoongi’s arrest, Lisa had seen her older sister mope about for the longest time and instantly understood the reason behind it. It hadn’t surprised her actually, for she’d seen it coming. But it wasn’t a few weeks after that she managed to confront Danah about it face to face. When she did ask the older girl about her lingering feelings for the man, the latter had blushed and adamantly denied the fact— except what Lisa had stated was true.

‘Don’t deny it.’ Lisa lets out a sigh, ‘it’s written all over your face.’

Danah doesn’t want to admit the truth, but it’s clear that Lisa isn’t going to let go of it so easily. And so she finally relents: ‘I might, but it doesn’t change anything.’

‘And you’re okay with the fact that he’s a murderer, a killer?’

‘He’s never been one, not to me.’ Danah murmurs, tiredness seepinf through her voice, ‘He’s just Yoongi. And that’s who I do like. No the killer they make him out to be.’

After much debate, it had taken Lisa a few days to wrap her head around the idea. But once the icy atmosphere had faded around her sister, Danah knew that everything would somehow be alright.

Samuel is beyond delighted when the unexpected guest steps into their house, but Lisa is quick to bring him back to order, reminding him of his manners. Danah arranges a spot for him on an inflatable mattress beside her bed, while Yoongi decides to treat them by cooking the dinner that night. It’s enough to melt the ice that dissipates into comfortableness around the table.

‘Where have you been?!’ Samuel exclaims for the millionth time, while Yoongi sends Danah a look that’s pleading for help.

‘Oh, out and about.’ He says when Danah adamantly looks down at her plate, avoiding eye contact as much as she can, ‘Some odd jobs here and there. I traveled, mostly.’

‘Where to? Tell me!’

‘Well, uh—‘

‘He can’t,’ Lisa interjects, ‘it’s confidential.’

Samuel starts to pout, ‘but Lisa’ he drags on her name like a religious mantra, but the older girl shakes her head, ‘nope. Sorry buddy. Can’t tell you.’

Yoongi is more than grateful for Lisa’s help, for he mouths his thanks at her when Samuel’s not looking. Lisa’s lips curl into a small smile in response, before lifting her shoulder into a shrug as if saying that it’s no big deal.

Samuel is insistent upon Yoongi putting him to sleep, which the older man does while Danah is takin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter