the fastest woman alive

In the Name of Justice

Irene was at Busan, having lunch with her best friend at one of the several posh cafes in the city. The sun shone brightly outside, but the air was still cool, so they chose to have their lunch at the cafe’s balcony, overlooking the busy street where numerous people went about their business. She was taking a sip of her drink when she realized that she needed this—and even deserved it—after having such a busy and draining past few weeks, what with fighting five-storey high creatures, flying to distant places, getting her powers burnt out, dealing with emergencies and petty crimes, all on top of doing her work as the queen of all media’s assistant. A day out with her best friend is exactly just what she needed.

 

“I’m really glad you could come with me, unnie,” her best friend, Jennie, said. “I hate dealing with all those grumpy old men. The only other thing I’m grateful of is that I can go and visit our labs. It’s been a while since I last checked on some of my company’s latest developments.”

 

“You know,” Irene started, “I could always just get you an octahedron to power your projects and help you advance Earth’s technology by at least several hundred of years.”

 

Her best friend rolled her eyes at her, used to her constant offer, and replied what she had always replied, “But where’s the fun in that? Maybe I can create something new, something unique to Earth.”

 

Irene just hummed and continued sipping at her drink. “Well, if you ever change your mind, just tell me.” Her best friend only nodded in reply.

 

They continued on with their lunch—Jennie with her plate of salad while Irene wolfed down several dishes of pasta—, enjoying the peace the moment was basked in, when suddenly screams sounded from below. Irene immediately set down her fork and stood up to step towards the edge of the balcony, and was shocked at what she saw. It was Metallo, one of her sworn enemies who had always been a thorn at her side because of his ability to shoot out kryptonite infused blasts. “Supergirl! I know you’re somewhere here, I can sense you. Come out, come out, wherever you are!”

 

She returned to her best friend’s side and set her glasses down on the table. “Excuse me for a minute, duty calls.” Jennie just gave her a nod and wished her good luck, before continuing on with her lunch.

 

Irene rushed down the stairs and out to the cafe’s back exit, ing the top of her long-sleeved shirt as she did so. When she got to the cafe’s back alley, she looked around for any bystanders and when she found none, she spun around so fast it was almost imperceptible to the human eye, and when she was done, she was already dressed in her Supergirl suit. She shot to the sky and landed with a heavy thud on Metallo’s chest, causing him to fall into a crater formed by the impact. Hovering in the air a few meters from her enemy, Irene said in a taunting voice, “Looking for me? Well, here I am.” With that, she shot out with her heat vision and aimed it again at his armor covered chest, knowing that it was his source of power. What she didn’t expect is for her enemy to laugh and direct his hands toward her, shooting out kryptonite infused blasts, causing Irene to fall to the ground.

 

“I am not the same as before, Supergirl,” Metallo said, rising from his laid down position. “Let’s just say improvements were made to my suit.”

 

He jumped up from the crater and landed on the ground just by Irene, then proceeded to step on her chest. “The day has come for you to meet your end.”

 

Unable to do anything because of the kryptonite in her system, Irene could only stare as Metallo’s device started gathering energy and forming into a green mass of photons. She closed her eyes and thought of her parents, her friends back in Krypton, and all of its people. I’ll meet you all soon, was her last thought before she heard the clinging of metal against metal.

 

Irene opened her eyes and saw Jennie a few feet away with a gun raised, its tip still smoking from the shot she just made.

 

“Look what we have here.” Metallo took his eyes off of Irene for a moment and grinned at her best friend. “Miss Kim, what a delight to finally meet you. It’s a shame you chose to not side with your family, your brother has been such a big help in making this new suit. I could only imagine what more improvements could’ve been made were you to also lend a hand.”

 

Irene watched as her best friend got red in the face, visibly fuming from anger. “For all I care, my brother could go to hell!”

 

“I’ll deal with you later, Miss Kim,” Metallo let out an ugly sounding laugh and turned his head once more towards Irene. “For now, I still have Supergirl to deal with.”

 

He raised his arms once again to shoot at Irene, when suddenly a red streak flashed by and came to a stop beside Metallo, hitting him square on the face with a quick punch. “Not so fast, you jerk!”

 

The newcomer continued on punching Metallo, giving him a few well placed kicks too, and proceeded to dismantle his suit by vibrating their hand so fast it was able to get past the metal and disassemble it in the atomic level. When the red suited figure was done with their work, binding Metallo with some material he couldn’t get out of, they dusted off their hands and stepped towards Irene. “Phew,” the newcomer let out, who Irene now knew was a female. “All in a day’s work.”

 

The other woman offered a hand to help Irene get up and when Irene stood up to her full height, which wasn’t really much but still, the newcomer’s eyes, which could be seen behind the mask, widened. “Oh my god,” the other woman, who was a bit shorter than Irene, said, “you’re Supergirl!”

 

She then proceeded to dust off her red suit and attempted to make herself more presentable. She started rocking back and forth on her heels, which made Irene look at Jennie—who was watching the whole scene with mirth in her eyes—in amusement. The other woman then began rambling. “Oh wow, I’m such a huge fan of you, you’ve always been my idol since you came out to the world! Came out as a superhero, I mean, not as someone gay, though there have been rumors floating around that you are since that incident with Wonder Woman, who is another one of my idols, and wouldn’t it be great if you do end up as a couple because you’d make such a badass couple with all those powers and stuff, and don’t even get me started on her arms, which are just—amazing. Totally. And there’s that other thing with Batwoman, though I do prefer you with Wonder Woman, because! Her arms! And oh my god, I really don’t know what I’m saying, ugh, I’m just happy you’re alive?”

 

Irene could only chuckle as the other woman halted her rambling. “Well, as much as I appreciate all that, and I completely agree with what you said about Seulgi’s arms“—that earned her a small whoop from the other woman—“I believe I still haven’t gotten my savior’s name?”

 

“Oh right! How could I have forgotten? I’m Kim Yerim, or Yeri, whichever you prefer” the red suited lady, with a bolt of lighting logo printed on her chest, said as she slapped her forehead. “Also known as the Flash, the fastest woman alive!”

 

Jennie chose that moment to step forward and take Yeri’s hands into her own. “Well, the Flash, I do want to thank you. You just saved my best friend’s life!”

 

“You’re welcome, Miss…” Yeri automatically replied, but when she took in the other woman fully, her eyes widened once again, “Jennie Kim! Oh my god! You’re best friends with Supergirl? Oh wow I must be dreaming—my two idols know each other, and are even best friends! I think I might faint.”

 

Wary of all the bystanders who have been privy to their conversation, Irene asked Yeri, “Would you mind joining us for lunch?”

 

Yeri beamed at them in reply. “That’s the best thing I’ve heard all day!”

 


 

After several plates were cleaned off their contents—with the number of plates left by Yeri almost rivaling the ones Irene had left—they were finally done with their lunch. Irene was glad Jennie was the one who was paying this time, not that she minded, of course. After all, Jennie’s literally a billionaire.

 

“So you’re saying,” Jennie began after sipping the last remnants of her tea, “you’re a metahuman?”

 

“Yep!” Yeri replied with a grin. “I got my powers after a freak accident with lightning in my lab. Now everything about me is fast—metabolism, thinking, speaking, and moving! It was scary at first, but it’s been really fun ever since I learned to control my powers!”

 

Irene only smiled as her best friend and Yeri talked more about all the science behind it, her heart quickly warming up to Yeri. If she ever had a little sister, Yeri would fit the description just right.

 

Jennie and Yeri’s chat was halted when a loud boom sounded from the sky. Irene used her x-ray vision to see through the buildings and found a huge rock similar to the ones she encountered before landed on the nearby park.

 

“I am so done,” Irene annoyingly muttered, which Yeri caught.

 

“What’s that?” Yeri asked, already rising from her seat.

 

Jennie was the one who replied, “It’s one of those things that just keep showing up wherever Irene is.”

 

“Oh, you mean that big monster?” Yeri inquired with a grin on her face. “I’m on it!” With that, Yeri flashed away from them at a speed so fast Irene barely saw it, and proceeded towards the huge park.

 

“Kids these days,” Irene let out with an amused huff. “Would you like to join us? See if you can pick up on something?”

 

Jennie, a huge smile on her face because of her excitement, nodded.

 

“Let’s go then.”

 


 

Irene flew towards the park while carrying Jennie in her arms.

 

“This never gets old!” Jennie shouted in glee. Sure, she has her own means of flight, but flying with her best friend would top anything.

 

They hovered in the air and watched as Yeri dealt with the huge monster by skirting around its legs and arms which tried to hit her.

 

“I’m here!” Yeri shouted as she dodged another one of the creature’s attacks. “Not there, here!”

 

Irene could only smile in amusement as Yeri toyed with the creature, which then let out an ear-splitting roar, making Irene wince.

 

“Yeri!” Irene shouted, making her stop in her movements. “I think it’s about time we finish this off.”

 

“As you say, boss!” Yeri replied with a cute grin. She then began running around the creature, forming a small whirlwind, immediately immobilizing it. Irene flew towards its top and blew out with her freeze breath, encasing the monster in ice. Yeri stopped running and made out to step towards where Irene and Jennie landed.

 

“That was great teamwork, Irene unnie!” Yeri said while raising her hand for a high five. Irene gladly returned it, a huge grin gracing her face as she did so.

 

“Speaking of teamwork,” Jennie said after she cleared . “I don’t think these creatures are the last that’s going to come. I have a bad feeling that this is just the beginning. Why not make an actual team? I have just the right name in mind.”

 

“What is it?” both Irene and Yeri asked, curious.

 

Jennie smiled and an excited glint flashed in her eyes.

 

“How about the Justice League?”

 


author's note:

i’m back with another chapter! and as some of you have guessed, yeri is the flash! and she’s a really cute one too. this may be my story, but i’m pretty excited by what’s going to happen next! i hope you guys liked this—till the next one!