the dark knight

In the Name of Justice

Ladies and gentlemen, we have now arrived at the Toronto Pearson International Airport. Korean Standard Time is 6:30 am, local time is 6:30 pm. Please remain in your seats as we approach the gate…

 

Irene was shook from her stupor as she heard the pilot announcing that they have arrived. There really wasn’t much for her to do during a thirteen hour flight besides sleeping or making sure that her boss was comfortable. She wasn’t a fan of long flights in any aircraft, especially because it would mean that she’s in an enclosed space, and that would mean that she wouldn’t be able to absorb any of the sun’s rays. As much as she’d like to have flown to Canada herself, she couldn’t because she was accompanying Miss Young.

 

“Miss Young.” Irene gently shook her boss awake, seeing that they were almost by the gate. “We’ve arrived.”

 

“Oh.” Her boss simply opened her eyes and sat up from her reclined chair. “What time is it now?”

 

“It’s 6:35 in the evening, local time.”

 

Her boss looked out the window—observing the comings and goings of the ground staff—then looked back at her, giving her a once-over. “I take it you aren’t a fan of thirteen hour flights?”

 

Irene shook her head a little. “I just don’t like staying in enclosed spaces for a long period of time.”

 

“Not much sun, after all,” her boss said, a knowing look in her eyes. Irene grimaced and gave a tight nod in reply.

 

“Well then, let’s be on our way now.” Tiffany unbuckled her seat belt after it was announced that the passengers may leave. “We wouldn’t want to keep Miss Son waiting.”

 


 

After settling in their suite in one of the many five-star hotels owned by Son Enterprises, they went up to the dining area and was approached by one of the receiving staff.

 

“Miss Young, Miss Bae?” the staff asked, and after both Tiffany and Irene nodded, they were led to the connecting balcony. They were greeted by the view of Toronto at night, several luminous skyscrapers lining the skyline against the backdrop of the full moon. The balcony was overlooking the hotel’s pool several floors below which still had several swimmers despite the late hour.

 

“Miss Son will arrive shortly,” the staff informed them. “In the meantime, please make yourselves comfortable. You may go inside and help yourselves to the dinner buffet prepared by our world-class chefs.” With a small bow, the staff then left them alone.

 

Tiffany settled on one of the chairs set up surrounding the large, round table. It had three sets of utensils and napkins, with a lit candle at the center.

 

“Irene, be a dear and do get me some real food, you know what I like. Airplane food will always be just airplane food, even if it’s business class,” Tiffany grumbled. “Afterwards, get some food in your system. I know how big your appetite is and don’t think that I didn’t notice your stomach rumbling hours ago,” she said, shaking a finger at

Irene.

 

“Right away, Miss Young,” Irene affirmed and gave a nod. She went inside and was greeted by the decadent aroma of the several viands and dishes the buffet had to offer, making her stomach rumble. Miss Young was right, as always. After leaving plates of fruits and some meats for Miss Young, Irene went back inside and followed the smell of that one food she’s been craving for the past thirteen hours—tteokbokki. She smiled as she placed scoop after scoop of the rice cakes in her large bowl. She was just about to add another one when a smooth voice interrupted her, “I see you have quite the craving.”

 

Irene looked to the side and saw a sharp looking woman with hair the color of Krypton’s sun, making it have a stark contrast against her midnight black dress suit. “It’s one of my comfort foods. I’m surprised they serve it here,” she said, giving the other woman a small smile.

 

“It’s mine as well.” Smiling, the woman got a bowl of tteokkbokki for herself. “Tell me, what is a super gorgeous woman like you doing here, far from home, I presume?” the sharply dressed woman asked, taking in Irene’s features.

 

“I’m here to accompany my boss for an interview,” Irene replied, blushing after being complimented by a woman who was also gorgeous herself. She brought a hand up to fix her glasses before continuing, “I’m her assistant.”

 

“I see,” the woman hummed. “I’ll leave you be then, it seems that just one bowl of tteokbokki won’t be enough to satisfy your appetite.” The woman gave her one last smirk before being on her way, leaving behind the sound of heels clacking against the marble floor.

 


 

Carrying several plates of food and her large bowl of tteokbokki, Irene did her best to balance them as she opened the door to the balcony and went to their table. She was just about to finish setting down one last plate when the balcony door opened, showing the same woman she saw earlier striding towards her and Tiffany.

 

“Miss Son?” Irene startingly asked, almost dropping her plate. Tiffany looked at her assistant and then at the red haired woman who was looking amusedly at Irene.

 

“I see you’ve already met my assistant, Wendy,” the woman said to her in greeting.

 

“Yes,” Wendy replied. “She has quite the appetite.”

 

Irene blushed again and stammered, “Miss Son, I apologize for not recognizing you and I—“

 

“Wendy, please,” the other woman cut her off, “just call me Wendy. Don’t worry about it, I’d also be craving good food after a thirteen hour flight.”

 

Irene just gave a shy smile and nodded. She went on to start at her food silently, when Wendy spoke again.

 

“I’m afraid I haven’t caught your name yet, Miss Beautiful?” Wendy prompted with a smirk.

 

Irene almost dropped her fork but nonetheless replied, ”Ir-Irene, my name’s Irene, Irene Bae.”

 

“Named after the goddess of peace,” Wendy remarked. “A fitting name for a woman as radiant as you.”

 

Wendy’s statement left hanging open as she blushed furiously.

 

“Wendy, leave the poor girl alone. She can only handle so much,” Tiffany admonished after watching both women’s exchange. “And Irene, do close your mouth, it’s unflattering.”

 

Irene shut .

 

“Now then, shall we get the interview started, or will you continue on trying to fluster my assistant more?” Tiffany asked Wendy, giving her a teasing look. “Be mindful of what you’ll say, this will be on tape.”

 

Wendy smirked at Tiffany and nodded. “Aren’t I always?”

 

The interview began and Irene droned out the sound of Tiffany’s questions and Wendy’s calculated answers, choosing instead to focus on her food. The chefs really did a good job—the food was so good that it was comparable to the ones they had at that one planet she visited before Krypton was destroyed. She picked occasionally at her tteokbokki in between stuffing with some bread and meat. The steak melted delighfully in and she was contemplating on whether she’d get another plate of it or maybe another serving of ribs, when suddenly a loud splash sounded. Irene stood up and looked over the railing of the balcony towards the pool, where another asteroid similar to the previous two she had encountered could be seen.

 

This is the third time!, Irene thought, annoyed.

 

She looked back at Miss Young and smiled sheepishly. “I’m sorry, Miss Young, I have to uhm—I have to use the comfort room.”

 

“Go ahead, Irene.” Tiffany rolled her eyes but let her go. “Do your thing.”

 

Irene flashed another sheepish smile at her two companions before leaving.

 


 

Irene wasn’t lying when she said she had to use the comfort room—she had to use it to get in her Supergirl suit. After quickly changing into it in a matter of seconds, she sped through the hallway to get outside, startling some hotel goers and staff.

 

“It’s Supergirl!”

 

“Look, it’s her!”

 

“You’re a long way from Korea, why are you here?”

 

“What are you doing in Toronto, Supergirl?”

 

“Just here for some business,” Irene replied, smiling and waving them off.

 

She was on her way to the pool area when a lifeguard rushed inside and blurted out, “Supergirl, please you have to help! There’s a monster outside!”

 

“I’m on it.” She flew past the people and went outside, flying higher towards the sky. She immediately used her heat vision to deal some damage to the creature, which then roared in pain. Having been subjected to that same roar, she covered her ears.

 

“Not this time, you freak!” Irene shot back at the creature. She was just about to deliver a punch to its head when she saw a black object fly through the air, glinting against the moonlight as it found its way to the monster’s chest where it exploded. Irene looked back and saw a caped figure dressed in black accented with red, a mask covering its face. They threw another black object, this time at one of its arms. The creature thrashed around wildly, hitting Irene and flinging her out of the air, making her crash towards the ground.

 

“Need some help, Miss Beautiful?” the figure, which she now knows was a woman, asked her and offered a hand.

 

Irene took it and noted the woman’s red hair which spilled out of her mask. “Miss Son?”

 

“Batwoman.” Wendy smirked. “Would you mind using your freeze breath to freeze the pool?”

 

Irene shook her head and immediately went into action, flying towards the pool, and immobilized the creature. She flew back to Wendy and asked, “What now?”

 

Wendy looked at her and back to the monster, a grin plastered on her face. “Watch me.”

 

She threw a batarang towards the creature’s chest, which then exploded and rocked it backwards, the exploson enough to topple it off. She threw another one and aimed the batarang at its head, knocking the creature out. Wendy brushed off her hands and smirked at Irene. “Kick it on its head, just to be sure.”

 

Irene flew up high in the air—her red cape fluttering—and flew downwards to stomp on the monster’s head. The force was enough to crack the frozen water of the pool, severing both of the creature’s legs.

 

“That should do it,” Irene said and flew back towards the ground. She walked back to Batwoman, who had her arms crossed.

 

“Good job, Supergirl,” Wendy told her, smiling. Irene shyly smiled in return.

 

“How do you know who I am?” Irene asked.

 

Wendy gave her a smirk and reached out to tuck several wayward strands of Irene’s hair behind her ear. “Glasses and a ponytail won’t fool me, Irene,” she replied in a low voice.

 

Irene brought up her hand to fix glasses that weren’t there, so she settled with her hand behind her neck instead. “I uhm, right.”

 

Wendy chuckled at that and then walked towards the creature. Stepping cautiously on broken ice, she took out a small scalpel and a test tube from her utility belt. Irene followed her and hovered in the air behind Wendy, curious. She then asked, “What are you doing?”

 

“Just taking some samples,” Wendy replied, sealing the test tube shut after shredding off some of the monsters skin. “I’ll analyze it in my lab and study its DNA, hopefully we’ll then know what it is and where it’s from. This isn’t your first encounter with its kind, I presume?”

 

“This is the third time.” Irene replied, shaking her head. “The first one was back in Seoul, while the other one was in Greece.”

 

“I see,” Wendy hummed. “You’ve met Seulgi then. Gorgeous, isn’t she?”

 

“Y-yes,” Irene stammered, blushing furiously. “She is.”

 

Wendy just smirked at her. Irene stood there and shuffled her feet nervously, feeling awkward while being subjected to Wendy’s gaze. The sound of heels clacking on the ground broke their bubble.

 

“Supergirl and Batwoman,” Tiffany said as she walked towards them. “What a sight to behold.”

 

“Miss Young,” Wendy addressed her and gave an easy smile. “I do hope you’re safe and well?”

 

“I’m perfectly fine, Batwoman,” Tiffany replied and waved a hand off in the air. “Who wouldn’t be? You two superheroes are here, after all.”

 

Irene rocked back on her heels, turning slightly red at her boss’s compliment. Wendy just gave out another smirk in return.

 

“Now I have more to write about. It truly is the age of female superheroes.” Tiffany said, a big smile on her face. She spoke again, but in a softer voice, “But first, I believe I still have an interview to finish. Wendy?”

 

“Of course, Miss Young.” Wendy nodded and walked away, but not before she took Irene’s hand and kissed it. “It was great meeting you, Supergirl.”

 

Irene blushed again and gave a small nod, watching as Wendy shot off into the air using her grappling hook. Tiffany huffed in amusement, rolling her eyes at Wendy’s actions. Irene was also about to leave and was preparing to take off into the sky, when Tiffany cleared and opened to speak.

 

“Well, I’ll be off too, Supergirl. Although I do wonder where my assistant went—surely she won’t be taking this long in the lavatory?” Tiffany looked pointedly at Irene.

 

“Right, uh, I’ll also be on my way then, Miss Young,” Irene said, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, feeling nervous under her boss’s scrutinizing eyes. “I hope your, uhm, assistant is fine.”

 

“Oh, I know she is.” Tiffany smirked at her. “Go then, be on your way. I suppose you still have things to do.”

 

“Of course, Miss Young.” Irene gave a stiff nod before shooting off in the air.

 


author's note:

wow, another chapter in less than a week ?? old me couldn't even compare lol. seriously though, thank you to all of you who have read this and subscribed, commented, and even upvoted !! it really means a lot and i do appreciate it. now onto the story, it's so cool how some of you guys are right about who's who !! tbh though, the story writes itself for me and the members' hero counterparts are what i feel best suits them. i'm glad to see that you guys think the same too. as to what i'm basing this on, it's the justice league animated series and also the tv show supergirl! well, at least for irene's mannerisms and her boss. till the next chapter!