Chapter 5

Deadly Sins

I press my head again, putting pressure on the stinging pain I have since I wake up this morning. I have to skip heavy breakfast too because I feel nauseate, although I have grown familiar at having decent meal for any time of meal of the day. Chaeyoung notices my new habit, I’m sure, but she says none of it. The only comment she has is that I have become her companion in committing one of the deadly sins, gluttony.

“Well, you’re pretty amateur, anyway. Tell me when you’re free, we’re going to go food-hunting around Seoul. There’s too many good café around here. The decoration is nice too. It’ll be Instagram-worthy,”

Or so she said.

She sounds like so proud committing that sin. I thought she’s religious…oh I don’t know.

“That’s just an expression.” Woosung says when he hears whatever Chaeyoung has blabbered to me and probably realizes that I was dead puzzled. “It’s not exactly sin. Maybe yes, if you do it too much. But everything is a sin if you do it too much.” He scrunches his nose as he says. “Stay moderated.” He adds the advice.

Those words don’t sooth my headache. I groan mildly, biting my lips to endure the pain but it gets worsen.

“You’re okay though?” Woosung asks in between his busy hands, cooking for orders.

I barely nod.

“You should get some rest.” He says, his voice turns louder now that his clanks of wok beat his own voice.

I wave him off. “I’m fine.”

As soon as I say, I fall limply on the floor, hardly catching breath. I black out and only come to consciousness when Baram sprinkles water on my face.

“Fine your .” Woosung snickers before going back to his work station.

The restaurant owner, Mrs Lee, has asked me to go to the clinic and have a day off tomorrow. While I insist that I’m getting better and the pain has subdue, she’s more than persistent. Hence, I grab my backpack and go off early.

 

“We’re gonna go get some med. It’ll help you to fully recover.” A voice come next to me. After several meetings with the boys, I could only show mild surprise, a welp the most.

“I don’t need it.” I retort.

Mark snorts. “This is not a request. This is an order.”

I halt from my pace, scoff. “Can you please don’t bother me today?”

The man doesn’t look like he would retaliate with any more argument, given that he’s always sleepy and lazy. He just shrugs.

But soon enough, I find myself walking into the pharmacy we happen to pass and quickly request for pain killer. I clamp my mouth after that but the deed has been done and the guy behind the counter has placed the tablets on it. I grunt at Mark who seems to be nonchalant of the whole situation. He basically yawns in boredom.

I paid for the medicine and exit before the staff catches me talking alone when I nag at Mark.

“You cannot do that!” I jab at him.

“Apparently I can. I shall not, but I definitely can.”

I groan, letting out an exasperated sigh. Well, maybe, I do need the pain killer to ease my headache and allow me to sleep comfortably.

 

It’s 4 hours later when I wake up to the ring of the bell, and I am greeted by the delivery guy from my current favourite chicken shop saying I have ordered some chicken over. I do not argue more since after the bizarre acquaintance with the men that casually residing in my house, nothing actually make sense much, so I bop my head and pay.

And they all are nowhere to be found. Jaebeom comes seldom now. Mark is frequent. The rest? Barely seen. Not that I want them to visit me but they sometimes make a great companion in this empty house.

“Can someone help me with the chicken?” I shout to the air, nonchalant in my tone as I sit restless at the dining table.

“Not that I’m going to eat but I would like to accompany you today,” Appear the guy with the huge biceps, handsome sturdy rough face. He doesn’t look pretty. He looks handsome, like some macho man. But, boy, was I wrong. When he smiles the next second, I actually find myself almost melt.

“Jackson, isn’t it? Did I get it correct?” I ask while opening the box. I gesture him the seat next to mine. Not brushing my teeth, I take a drumstick and immediately chew it. “What’s your deal, man?”

He chuckles softly. “You’re good? Did you get a good rest?”

I frown. “I ask first.”

He merely shrugs, not anywhere close to answering me but instead awaits for my answer patiently.

“I’m good. Best nap ever.” I state.

He draws a small smile, bopping his head.

“So what are you? Mark is an obvious sloth. Jaebeom is gluttony. What are you?” I ask in between my chew, keeping my expression as plain as ever.

In return, he looks mildly shock. Just a second before he feigns a plain one. “So you notice?” He asks.

I nod. “Are you going to tell that to Jaebeom? He seems to be the superior.”

He chuckles. “He might already have heard you, so yeah.”

I jut my lips, shrugging mindlessly. “What are you? Not gonna tell me?”

“You’ll know. Not that it is so hard to figure it out but you’ll know.” He calmly answers. It doesn’t look like his everyday’s demenour. It feels a little foreign but it’s not bad. It just feels a little bit weird.

I don’t know what to say next. I have a lot to ask but I don’t know of his capabilities.

“Don’t worry. We’re not here to harm you.” He seems to understand my concern that he adds that as he watches me eating.

“Really?” I ask. “I might be of use to ya’ll some way or another.”

“Look at you, you’re getting better, healthier. You’ve put on some weight.”

I glare at him. “Is that supposed to mean something else?”

He laughs. “Putting on weight doesn’t always mean bad, alright? You know it. Tell me, what do you feel when seeing your own reflection these days?”

I pause on eating, giving a thought to his question, wiping my mouth from the oil stain of the chicken. “Faaattt,”

He burst into a laugh as well as I do. “Yeah well, you’re right. Get fit, okay? See ya tomorrow.” He pats on my head and dissolves into thin air.

I know these guys that I know not of may be harmful to me but up until now, I can’t see how they could do so. And to questions on what are they and why they’re here, I couldn’t care less now. I prefer no one knows and heck, let me keep them all for me. They’re mine, like my own family.