The Solution

Secretary Jung Wheein
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moon Byulyi was staring at Secretary Jung Wheein's resignation letter sitting on her desk almost all day long.

She still couldn't make sense of why in the world would her secretary would want to resign.

It didn't make sense to her at all.

She can't understand what Secretary Jung meant by living her own life.

Secretary Jung worked 18 hours a day without any day off for seven years, which would mean that she spent 45,990 hours working for Byul for the last seven years. That would be way more hours than the time she spent with her girlfriends. Heck, that would be more time than what an average married couple spends time together.

So how could it possibly mean nothing to Jung Wheein?

"I want to pick up my life now."

Secretary Jung's voice echoes at the back of Moonbyul's mind as she walks to her friend Jin's office.

She enters Jin's office and sat on his sofa, crossing her legs on top of the other, arm resting on the armrest.

Her friend immediately notices the forlorn expression on the CEO's face.

"What's on your mind? Is it still Secretary Jung?" Jin asks knowingly, sitting across his friend.

"She must really be heartbroken..." Moonbyul whispered to herself, but Jin managed to hear it.

"Heartbroken?" Jin asks, "Who's heartbroken?"

"Secretary Jung." Moonbyul states, as if it's the most obvious thing in the world, her face remains serious. "She loved me too much and got hurt badly. That's why she's quitting."

Jin stops himself from physically rolling his eyes as he stares at his friend in defeat. He still can't believe how self-absorbed his friend can get sometimes. "I know Secretary Jung is exemplary at her job, but even so, don't you think you care too much?" he questions, trying to subtly tell his friend to just let it go.

"Are you...in any case...in love with her?" Jin asks, genuinely curious about the idea. He has never seen Byul this concerned about someone else. He thinks that maybe Secretary Jung really is important to Byul if he can't easily let her resign.

The CEO shoots him a daggering look, looking as if she couldn't be more offended. "Do you have a death wish?"

Jin quickly sits straight, lifting both his hands in the air as a sign of surrender. "Then why are you so invested in her resignation?" he asks, trying to make sense of it.

"She's a company's asset." Moonbyul says dismissively.

Jin doesn't believe Moonbyul one bit, but he pretends to do so, and asks further instead, "Then how do you explain not letting anyone touch you except Secretary Jung?"

"I just don't like it when people touch me." Moonbyul reasons.

"Well, Secretary Jung is a person too." Jin replied, as if he needs to clarify it to Byul just in case he's unaware of it.

"Secretary Jung is..." Moonbyul tries to come up with a valid reason, but all she came up with is, "Secretary Jung." she says as if it should explain why she's different.

The CEO knows it wasn't enough for her friend -judging by the unsatisfied look on Jin's face- and he would ask her for further questions, but she's not in the mood to be interrogated as of the moment so she excuses herself. "All right, catch you later." she says without giving Jin any chance to say anything.

Leaving a very confused Jin sighing to himself in defeat.

Meanwhile, Secretary Jung Wheein was at her desk, writing notes for whoever would replace her in her current position. She knows how hard being CEO Moon's secretary is, and it would be helpful to have some kind of guide and words of motivation, so she wanted to leave notes for the incoming secretary. 

She immediately stops when she saw the Vice President approaching with both her hands in her pockets as usual. Wheein stands up to greet her boss. "Miss Moon."

Right when Byul stopped in front of her, Wheein noticed that the young CEO looked tired. She was a bit taken aback since the CEO doesn't usually show up to work looking anything less than perfect. "You don't look so good. Are you okay, Miss Moon?" she asked in a worried tone.

"I didn't sleep well." Byul said with a monotone, pulling one hand from her pocket to point her hand towards her secretary. "You look good though." she mentions.

Wheein bows her head slightly in gratitude. "I slept well. Thanks to you." she says in appreciation for her boss giving her a day off yesterday.

Moonbyul tries not to show her grudge at how unfair it was that her secretary could sleep so well when she couldn't even sleep at all thinking of all the reasons why Secretary Jung is so eager to resign, but she couldn't help but scoff.

This caught Wheein's attention, but moreover, she noticed that something more pressing on the CEO's forehead. "Oh no, you have a pimple, Miss Moon." if it was any other person, she might not have noticed it. It was barely noticeable. But she was so used to her boss' skin being flawless that something so little could be so visible to her.

"I'll get sleeping pills from Dr. Kim." Wheein says as she quickly grabs the phone on her desk. She knows how much her boss hates it when she's have something on her face, let alone an imperfection. If it's because of the CEO's trouble with sleeping then she needs to get those pills as soon as possible.

But the young CEO couldn't seem to care about the pimple on her forehead as much as she cares about the box with Secretary Jung's stuff beside her desk. 

She lifts her hand to stop her secretary from making a call to her doctor. "Are you worried about me?" she suddenly asks, her eyes looking straight at Secretary Jung's.

Wheein looks confused for a second. "Of course, I am." she answers, wondering why her boss would think otherwise.

Byul takes a glance at the box which stands as a reminder that Secretary Jung Wheein couldn't wait to leave her company as soon as she can. Moonbyul looks at her secretary attentively. "As Secretary Jung or as Jung Wheein?" she asks. Because if she really cares about Moonbyul, if Wheein really cared about her as a person then why would she decide to leave her on such a whim?

Wheein was taken aback at her boss' question. Should it matter? Aren't they the same person? She asks herself. "I don't quite get..." she looks at her boss to see if she's messing with her, but she's taken aback at how serious Moonbyul looked.

But before Wheein could answer, another employee approached them. "Vice President Moon, the interviewee just arrived. Shall I let her in?"

"Let her in." Moonbyul ordered, her eyes never leaving Wheein's. "You need to join us since it's for your replacement." she said sternly at her longtime secretary, before going into her office, leaving a very confused Jung Wheein.

Secretary Jung was seated beside her boss in the CEO's office. The hopeful applicant for the CEO's new secretary has a smile on her face, sitting across them.

"Miss Moon, here are some interview questions." Secretary Jung hands a folder of compiled interview questions she previously prepared for her boss to choose from, attached with the applicant's resume.

The young vice president reaches for the folder, opening it, and scanning it swiftly, before closing it again. She didn't need it anyway. She already has a set of questions ready written on her mind. "Jung Lea, who are you going to be when you become my secretary?" she asks, "Secretary Jung or Jung Lea?"

The familiarity of the question catches Wheein's attention. She looks at her boss questioningly, but Moonbyul pays her no attention.

"Of course, I would be Secretary Jung Lea because I'm both." the applicant confidently answers, her smile never leaving her face.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter