part two

snapshots of us

 

Eunji sits in a coffee shop with marble tables, uncomfortable chairs, and way too expensive coffee.

 

She sits there with Chorong beside her, tightly holding her hand in her own, as they sit across from Naeun and Namjoo. It’s barely been over twelve hours since The Incident, but in that short time, Eunji has already seen that cursed picture of her and Naeun all over the tabloids. So has Chorong.

 

Eunji takes a sip of her now cold coffee as the silence goes on.

 

Eventually, Namjoo clears and says, “I know this is a difficult situation for all of you, but we need to make a decision now.”

 

“It’s not that simple,” Chorong snaps, and Eunji’s horrified to hear the strain in her voice. She knows that voice. It’s when Chorong is trying not to cry. Eunji can do nothing but hold her hand tighter. “You act like it’s easy to decide whether or not my girlfriend can go off and date another woman.”

 

“Fake date,” Naeun corrects quietly, and Chorong sends her a glare so harsh that everyone else at the table flinches.

 

“It would only be for a few months,” Namjoo says, repeating what she’s been saying for the past hour. “Just simple stuff for the press, going out to dinner every once in a while. It wouldn’t mean anything.” Namjoo casts pitying eyes on Chorong and continues, “After a few months, we say it‘s a mutual break-up.”

 

“Why can’t they just say it was a mistake?” Chorong asks. “Or, or anything else that wouldn’t involve this.”

 

Namjoo frowns and answers, “We could say it’s a mistake, but that would hurt Naeun’s already... difficult reputation. Rumors about her relationship with Eunji are nothing but positive, however.  Eunji’s garnered a very well-liked name for herself among the community, and people like the idea of them together. It makes Naeun seem more human.”

 

“Then it just benefits Naeun,” Chorong says sourly, and Eunji squeezes her hand. In response, Chorong digs her nails into Eunji’s skin. “This is ridiculous,” Chorong spits out. She stands abruptly, and their joined hands hang limply in the air between.

 

Eunji stays seated and tries not to focus on how hurt Chorong looks.

 

“Just dinner?” Eunji asks quietly, and Chorong drops her hand immediately. Her hand falls into her lap, and Eunji curls it into a fist. “Just a dinner every other week for three months, like you said? That’s it?”

 

Chorong is furious and hurt, and Eunji wishes she could do something to lessen her pain. She knows Chorong is completely and utterly against this plan, so she wants to say no. But then, Eunji remembers Naeun with tear-filled eyes and telling her how no one really treats her like they care, how she just wants to be treated like a human.

 

Eunji’s always been a er for a pretty woman in trouble.

 

“That’s it?” Eunji repeats.

 

Chorong reaches out. She places her hand on her shoulder and digs her fingers in, a warning. “Eunji, you don’t have to do this,” Chorong tells her, “not for her.”

 

Because Naeun is nothing more than a homewrecker to Chorong, a threat to their relationship.

 

Eunji gently pulls Chorong’s hand off her shoulder and presses a kiss to the palm, an apology. “I want to,” Eunji murmurs.

 

Knowing what’s coming, Eunji doesn’t flinch when Chorong rips her hand out of her grasp and storms out of the coffee shop. She just sits there numb, wondering if she’s made the right decision. Sighing, she looks up where Namjoo’s looking at her with the same pity she casted on Chorong. Beside her, Naeun is staring at her with wide but grateful eyes.

 

“Thank you,” Naeun whispers.

 

Eunji shakes her head and says, “Don’t thank me for pissing off my girlfriend.” She stands up and looks in the direction Chorong left. She sighs again and says, “Just text me the details, I guess. I need to go before I find all my on the street or something.”

 

Eunji stands and turns to leave when a hand catches the sleeve of her jacket. She looks down and sees Naeun holding onto her with red cheeks.

 

“I’m sorry for all of this,” Naeun tells her.

 

“Yeah,” Eunji says, “me too.”

 

Tugging her sleeve out of her hold, Eunji leaves the coffee shop at a brisk jog. She knows if she goes fast enough, she’ll catch up to Chorong. The two of them walked to the coffee shop together, not wanting to take a cab on such a nice day, but as Eunji picks up her pace, she can’t help but find the weather too warm.

 

It’s almost three blocks from the coffee shop that Eunji catches up to Chorong. She cuts her off, hands on her shoulders, and whatever she’s planning on saying is stopped short at the sight of Chorong’s tear-stained cheeks. Wordlessly, Eunji pulls her into a hug. She holds her tightly while Chorong buries her face into her shoulder.

 

“I know you don’t understand why I want to do this,” Eunji says softly, “but please know that it has nothing to do with us. I love you so much, Chorong. Please trust me on this.”

 

Slowly, Chorong pulls away. She cups Eunji’s cheek, and Eunji leans into the touch. Chorong her cheek and says, “How can I trust you knowing you’ve already almost kissed her?” Eunji flinches. She tries to move away, but Chorong keeps a firm hold and forces her face to stay close. “How can I trust you?” Chorong repeats, and Eunji hears the tremble in her voice and realizes this isn’t a rhetorical question.

 

“Please trust that there’s no one else in this world, in this universe, in this life, that I love more than you,” Eunji says, voice low and almost reverent.

 

Chorong closes her eyes, voice almost inaudible as she says, “You can hurt the people you love.”

 

“I don’t want to hurt you,” Eunji whispers, and suddenly she has tears in her eyes. feels tight, and she wants nothing more than to runaway with Chorong right now.

 

Then she remembers Naeun, wide eyes and red cheeks, looking at Eunji like she’s something otherworldly.

 

“Please trust me one more time,” Eunji all but begs.

 

There’s a long silence before Chorong kisses her gently and says, “Okay, one more time.”

 

-

 

On Chorong’s next day off, Eunji takes her out for a day-long date. It’s mostly to ease the tension between them, but also because Eunji will take any excuse she can get to spoil her usually very practical girlfriend.

 

Eunji starts off the day with breakfast in bed for Chorong, precariously balancing the pastries she bought from down the street on a tray with hot coffee that will definitely stain the sheets if it spills. She inches into the bedroom cautiously and smiles brightly at Chorong, who’s laying in bed and playing on her phone. When Chorong looks up and sees Eunji there with breakfast, she smiles in a way Eunji hasn’t seen since before her shoot with Naeun.

 

“What’s this?” Chorong asks, voice soft as she sits up.

 

“Breakfast in bed,” Eunji tells her proudly. “It’s the best way to start our date day.”

 

Chorong quirks an eyebrow as she reaches out to grab one of the pastries. “Date day?” she repeats skeptically.

 

“We will be going on a date all day long,” Eunji says, “starting now.” She sets the tray on the nightstand and presses a kiss to the top of Chorong’s head. “That means you have to eat a big breakfast! I won’t have you tiring out on me only halfway through the date.”

 

“That’s an awfully long date,” Chorong notes with an amused smile on her lips.

 

“A date is never too long with you,” Eunji replies with a winning smile. She gives Chorong a dramatic kiss on the cheek then says, “Okay, you eat while I get ready and make sure everything’s good for today.” She stares at Chorong for a moment, wondering how lucky she is to have her in her life. Chorong notices her and pulls her down for a firm kiss. Eunji can’t help but smile into the kiss, a giddiness filling her at the affection.

 

“Okay, now let me enjoy my breakfast in peace,” Chorong teases when Eunji remains rooted where she is with a dopey smile on her face.

 

Eunji playfully salutes her and says, “Aye aye, captain.”

 

-

 

They spend the day at the river by their apartment.

 

After biking up and down the river all morning, the two women have fried chicken for lunch and relax by the river in the afternoon sunlight. Tired out from biking, Eunji lays with her head in Chorong’s lap, face pressed against her stomach in an attempt to hide from the sun. She sighs in contentment when Chorong gently runs her fingers through her hair. After she dozes in and out for a few minutes, Eunji blinks a few times then glances up at her girlfriend.

 

“We still have all afternoon,” Eunji tells her as she stretches out. She rolls onto her back and blocks the sun from her eyes as she looks up at Chorong. “I figured I’d see if there was anything you wanted to do.”

 

“I’m fine with this,” Chorong says softly.

 

“Just laying by the river?” Eunji asks, tilting her head curiously. “That’s it?”

 

Chorong traces the features of Eunji’s face with her fingertips then nods, “Yes, that’s it.”

 

Eunji softens and grabs Chorong’s hand. She presses a kiss to the palm then to the tip of every finger. She smiles when Chorong cups her face after, her cheek tenderly. After two years together, sometimes they don’t need words.

 

Their sunny day by the river reminds Eunji of the first time she met Chorong.

 

Fresh out of college, Eunji often spent her free time visiting random public places to practice taking photos. It was a fun challenge, trying to capture different people with different intentions behind every photo. Then one day, Eunji noticed a beautiful woman who kept showing up on the edges of her photos. After noticing her then, Eunji began to notice her at a park she frequented. The woman usually walked around or sat on a bench reading a book. She was beautiful, but she also seemed lonely.

 

Inexplicably drawn to her, Eunji introduced herself to the woman about a month after she noticed her in her photographs. Chorong was an intriguing woman, capable of keeping up with Eunji but also able to slow her down for the little moments. Sometimes, Eunji wonders what would have happened if she hadn’t noticed Chorong in the fringes of her photos.

 

The other universe feels distant more and more with every day that goes by, especially on days like these by the river with Chorong smiling at her the way she did the very first time Eunji asked to officially take her picture.

 

-

 

It’s two days later that Eunji gets a call from Namjoo.

 

Eunji is in her cramped cubicle at work, editing some photographs, when her phone rings obnoxiously in the muted white noise of the office. She ignores some of the glares shot her way and walks to the bathroom for privacy.

 

Are you free Saturday tonight?” Namjoo asks after they’ve exchanged pleasantries.

 

Eunji shuffles, already knowing where this is going, and answers, “Yeah, I was just going to stay in with Chorong.”

 

, wait,” Namjoo mutters into the phone. “How many people know about you and Chorong?”

 

“Not many actually,” Eunji answers. “Our parents and a few close friends.”

 

You can tell your parents the truth, but your friends have to think you and Chorong have broken up."

 

Eunji tenses and can’t help but shout into the phone, “What?!”

 

Eunji,” Namjoo says, and she can tell she’s trying hard not to sound patronizing, “Your face is going to be plastered all over the tabloids, even more than before, after you go on your dates with Naeun. What will your friends think if they see that?”

 

“I can tell them the truth,” Eunji argues.

 

Namjoo sighs into the phone and says, “You better trust them then, if you really do plan on telling them.” Then she adds, “If it gets leaked that this is all fake and I find out it came from one of your friends, it’ll be on you to clean up the mess, not me.”

 

“Deal,” Eunji agrees without hesitation.

 

Okay, I’ll call you tonight with more details.

 

-

 

At almost seven on Saturday night, Eunji paces her apartment in her nicest suit, the one that makes her look great. With it, she’s got on a crisp white button-down, a simple black tie, and the highest heels she owns because Naeun is so much taller than her.

 

Eunji is alone in the apartment. After hearing the plans, Chorong made the executive decision to be out of town visiting her sister. Eunji can’t really blame her.

 

At seven o’clock exactly, Eunji gets a text from Namjoo that her and Naeun have arrived. She takes a deep breath and heads down to where a seemingly plain black SUV is waiting. She wipes her sweaty palms on her pants then opens the door. She stands there for a moment, staring at the other woman sitting in the back seat.

 

Naeun is always breathtakingly gorgeous, but seeing her in a little black dress with her hair softly curled has Eunji feeling like she’s been er-punched. She grips the car door until her knuckles turn white, counting to ten in her head and remembering Chorong. Eunji releases the door with trembling fingers and slides into the car.

 

“Hey,” Eunji says, and she tries not to wince at how husky her voice sounds.

 

Naeun’s cheeks turn pink as she replies, “Hey.” She bites her lip then adds, “You look nice.”

 

“You too,” Eunji says lamely.

 

From the driver’s seat, Namjoo loudly complains, “Oh my god, stop acting like awkward teenagers on a first date. You’re supposed to be a super in love power couple.”

 

“Power couple?” Eunji repeats with wide eyes.

 

“Of course,” Namjoo says with a grin. “Come on, Eunji, don’t look so surprised. Naeun is a famous model, and you’ve become a lot more popular lately. People think you two are going to take over the entire industry in a few years.”

 

If this weren’t all fake.

 

When they pull up to the restaurant, Namjoo parks and turns around to face them, a serious look on her face. “Okay, here’s the plan. You two play nice with the paparazzi standing outside of this car. Once you get inside, there will be a reservation under Naeun’s name. Naeun argued for a private room, but the point is for the two of you to be seen together, so you’ll be seated by a window.” Namjoo flashes a grin and adds, “Just have fun. You know, just gals being pals.”

 

“You’re annoying,” Naeun mumbles as she and Eunji get ready to get out of the car.

 

“You love me,” Namjoo replies simply.

 

Eunji pauses before she opens the door, glancing over her shoulder at Naeun. “Ready?” Eunji asks, trying to calm her wildly beating heart. Damn nerves.

 

Naeun reaches out and holds Eunji’s hand in her own then says, “Ready.”

 

Eunji stares down at their joined hands for a long moment then sighs a little to herself. “Okay, here we go,” Eunji mumbles to herself.

 

As soon as she opens the door, Eunji is assaulted by flashing lights. She squeezes her eyes shut for a moment, subconsciously squeezing Naeun’s hand tighter. After a moment, she gets somewhat used to them, enough to step out of the car on steady feet. Once she’s standing, she turns to help Naeun out. Eunji holds her breath when one long leg follows the other until Naeun is standing less than a foot from her.

 

Forming a charming smile onto her face, Eunji asks, “You good, babe?” She tries to mimic the way Chorong sounds when she says the pet name, soft and reverent, but it just feels all wrong.

 

It seems to work though because Naeun smiles shyly at her with red cheeks while the paparazzi around them go wild, shouting at them to look their way. Naeun takes the lead now, walking them to the entrance of the restaurant. She pauses at the front steps then turns them toward the paparazzi with a small smile. Eunji stands next to her, arm around her waist, and tries not to focus on all the flashing lights (and the sinking feeling in her stomach as she notices the curve of Naeun’s waist under her hand).

 

After less than a minute has passed, Naeun leads them into the restaurant. It isn’t until Naeun glances down at her with furrowed brows that Eunji realizes she’s feeling all sweaty and clammy. Eunji forces a smile and says jokingly, “Those flashes are a lot warmer than you’d think.”

 

“You can still back out,” Naeun says softly, leaning her face in closer so no one else hears.

 

The closeness does not help Eunji at all. She steps back to create some space between them but reassures her, “I’m fine. Just overwhelmed.”

 

“Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it,” Naeun tells her.

 

When she turns to talk to the hostess, Eunji mumbles under her breath, “That’s what I’m afraid of.”

 

The two of them are led to a table, tucked away from the rest of the bustling restaurant, but just as Namjoo told them, it’s right by the window. Eunji helps Naeun into her seat before sitting down herself. As she does, she scans the restaurant warily. She’s never been in a place so expensive. Eunji and Chorong usually stick to cheaper food options. For special occasions, rather than go out, the two usually stay in and cook a meal together. All of these chandeliers and four different forks have Eunji feeling very out of her comfort zone.

 

“I think it’s best if you order for me,” Eunji says after giving the menu a brief glance over. She doesn’t know what half the food items are, even with the help of the vague but fancy sounding descriptions.

 

“Okay, do you have any allergies or anything?”

 

Eunji shakes her head, “No, just order whatever.”

 

After the waiter comes back, takes their orders, and gives them each a glass of wine, Naeun leans forward, elbows on the table with her head propped in her hands. “If I remember correctly, you said you wouldn’t mind being friends,” Naeun murmurs quietly, making sure no one can overhear her. “You said that, but you look like you’d sooner dump your wine on me than talk to me.”

 

“Sorry,” Eunji says automatically. She downs half her wine in one go and doesn’t even wince when she sets her glass back down. “When I said we could be friends, I imagined us hanging out in much different circumstances.”

 

This time it’s Naeun who sighs and whispers, “Sorry.”

 

“I agreed to it,” Eunji says with a shrug. She reaches out for her wine again, but instead of drinking it, she settles for swirling the liquid as an outlet for her fidgeting. She’s silent for a long moment, thinking. She agreed to this. She knew what she was getting into. This doesn’t mean anything except that Eunji wants to help Naeun. She still loves Chorong. She’s allowed to enjoy herself on these fake dates because she really does want to be Naeun’s friend. With that conclusion, Eunji drinks the rest of her wine then says to Naeun, “Alright, let’s get to know each other.”

 

-

 

Naeun has her hand tucked in the crook of Eunji’s arm as they exit the restaurant. The two of them are breathless and giggling as they start walking towards the nearest convenience store.

 

After Eunji relaxed, it didn’t take long for Naeun to relax too. The two of them finally got to talk to each other about things other than work, both surprised that they actually click better than they thought they would.

 

By the time the bill was paid, Eunji learned that Naeun originally wanted to be a singer, but her manager (not Namjoo, another before her) urged her to focus on modeling instead. She struggled for a few years, until a picture of her wearing leggings went viral. After that partnership, people were constantly fighting for her to sign on with them.

 

Naeun described how she enjoyed the attention at first, but she quickly grew tired of the way they only cared about her looks. It was rare that her sponsors actually spoke to her. It was even rarer for an interviewer to ask her things beyond the superficial. Naeun had been put into a box, and she wasn’t sure how to get out.

 

“You help me feel a bit freer,” Naeun tells Eunji as they look at the ice cream options at the convenience store.

 

Eunji plays dumb and replies, “It’s just ice cream.”

 

“It’s not just ice cream,” Naeun says, squeezing her arm. “It’s how you talk to me, how you look at me. Like I’m a person.”

 

“You are a person, Naeun.”

 

Naeun gives her a sad smile and says, “I think people forget that sometimes.”

 

After paying for the ice cream, the two of them end up in a nearby park, sitting on the swings as they eat their ice cream.

 

“What would you do if you could do anything right now?” Eunji asks as she lazily swings.

 

Naeun doesn’t answer for a long moment. She just sits, eating her ice cream, with a serious look on her face. When Eunji glances at her, Naeun finally answers, “I would disappear. Buy a small house on the beach and just spend the rest of my life there, somewhere no one would recognize me.”

 

“Sounds lonely,” Eunji says without thinking. She tenses and glances at Naeun from the corner of her eye.

 

Naeun just smiles and says, “Not anymore lonely than I already am.”

 

“Are you really that lonely?” Eunji asks.

 

Naeun looks away from her, staring down at the ice cream wrapper left in her hands. She tears at it, creating little white ribbons at her feet. “I don’t want your pity,” Naeun says quietly, “but I don’t think you realize how few people I have in my life that are in my life for me as a person, not as a celebrity. Namjoo’s my closest friend nowadays because everyone else I meet seems only interested me for my connections, my fame. I don’t even really have my parents. They live in the country, and they’re older. They can’t travel to see me often, and with my schedule, I can rarely visit them. We call every day, but it’s not the same.” Then she looks up at Eunji with wet eyes and says, “So when I met you, fearless about talking to me like I was any other person. I–”

 

Naeun’s voice cracks, and Eunji’s on her feet immediately. She tentatively walks over to Naeun, still sitting on her swing, even as her shoulders shake with tears. Eunji steps between Naeun’s legs and gently hugs her. Naeun cries into Eunji’s stomach, and Eunji just holds her and her hair reassuringly.

 

“I keep crying when I’m with you,” Naeun mumbles after a few minutes.

 

Eunji can’t help but laugh a little and jokes, “If I’m that ugly, Naeun, you can tell me.”

 

“Shut up,” Naeun giggles as she pulls away to look at Eunji. “You’re beautiful.”

 

The words make Eunji jolt a little. There’s something different about being told by a gorgeous model that you’re beautiful. Eunji smiles shyly and pats the top of Naeun’s head. She tries to ignore the flutter in her chest when Naeun smiles brightly and leans into the touch.

 

“You’re beautiful too.”

 

-

 

Halfway through their timed relationship, Eunji and Naeun are close friends now. They talk more comfortably during their dates and even text outside of them as well. It makes Eunji’s heart swell as she sees Naeun become less and less depressed with every date. Naeun has a precious soul, and Eunji is glad she is able to help her find more happiness.

 

She’s happy for her, even if happiness is becoming harder to come by for Eunji.

 

As Eunji grows closer with Naeun, Chorong grows colder with her. They’ve had small fights over Naeun, usually occurring right before Eunji goes out with Naeun for their publicized dates.

 

“You look excited to be going on this date,” Chorong remarks with a biting tone as Eunji slips on her hoodie.

 

Eunji presses her lips together for a moment before replying evenly, “Yes, I’m excited because we are going to the pet store. You know I love animals, and you also know I am excited to see Hayoung.”

 

“You’re going with Naeun,” Chorong says. The you aren’t going with me goes left unsaid.

 

“I think it would do Naeun some good to get a pet,” Eunji says.

 

“You think about Naeun a lot these days.”

 

Eunji’s patience snaps at this. She stalks from the foyer to where Chorong is standing by the kitchen table, and when Chorong opens to say something, Eunji cuts her off with a rough kiss. She swallows Chorong’s gasp and pins her between her and the table, fingers digging into her hips. Chorong practically melts into the kiss and clumsily threads her fingers through Eunji’s hair.

 

Between their schedules and the conflict with Naeun, it’s been too long since they’ve been intimate.

 

Eunji presses her thigh between Chorong’s legs, smirking into the kiss when her girlfriend lets out a stuttered moan. She kisses her way along Chorong’s jaw and down her neck, nipping playfully at her collarbone. She her way back up to Chorong’s ear and breathes, “I want you.”

 

“B-but, you have–” Chorong’s words change into a moan when Eunji on the sensitive skin over her pulse, and her protests leave her mind.

 

“I’ll be late,” Eunji murmurs against her heated skin as her fingers make quick work of Chorong’s jeans. Then she smirks a little when she dips her fingers into Chorong’s pants. “Maybe I won’t be too late,” Eunji hums as she captures Chorong’s lips in another kiss.

 

-

 

When Eunji arrives to the pet store thirty minutes later, flushed and with a dark hickey on her neck, Naeun and Hayoung can only stare at her. Hayoung assumes Eunji is flushed from hurrying over and brushes off the hickey because she’s had the misfortune of walking in on Eunji and Chorong back in college. However, Naeun stares at the mark and hates herself for the disappointment she feels.

 

Naeun never wanted Eunji to break up with Chorong, never wanted to be the reason they had problems. However, a very small and selfish part of her always hoped. At the sight of the hickey, Naeun firmly squashes that small feeling and promises herself that she won’t ever feel that ever again. Eunji deserves better. She deserves better.

 

“Sorry, I’m late!” Eunji says with a cheerful grin. “Are you ready to get a cute puppy, Naeun?”

 

“Sure,” Naeun says, smiling warmly at the pet store owner. “Hayoung was good company while we waited for you. She knows a lot about dogs.”

 

Eunji tilts her head at the look Naeun gives Hayoung and files that away for future reference. “Cool, then let’s go!”

 

-

 

It’s the night of Eunji’s last date with Naeun, and she’s practically dancing around the apartment as she gets ready. Chorong watches her with dark eyes, sitting on the couch with her arms crossed.

 

“What’s wrong, grumpy pants?” Eunji asks with an amused smile as she stops in front of her. She’s dressed in a tight leather skirt with a blouse tucked into it, and Chorong’s fingers twitch with the need to touch her. So she does. She reaches out and gently caresses Eunji’s hip, feeling a deep satisfaction at the way Eunji flushes. “Not so grumpy anymore, are you?” Eunji laughs, voice a little strained.

 

“I’m just ready for this to be over,” Chorong sighs.

 

Eunji’s softens immediately and cups her face. She leans down and kisses her softly. “It’ll be over soon,” Eunji says. “I promise.” Then Eunji’s phone rings, and Eunji stands back up with a wrinkled nose. Worst timing ever. She leans back down to drop a quick kiss to the top of Chorong’s head. “After this, we’re free,” Eunji tells her.

 

“Free,” Chorong repeats lowly.

 

-

 

The night starts like this: Naeun takes Eunji to a fashion show and the after party for it. It’s simple enough. A bit loud, but Eunji just stays close to Naeun and does her best to play the supportive girlfriend.

 

It’s almost midnight when a drunk, little man stumbles over to them.

 

Eunji will later learn this is the man who took the very first picture of her and Naeun, and she will wish she had done more to him than she did.

 

The man starts loudly declaring that Naeun is a liar who hired Eunji to be her fake girlfriend. Eunji tenses as everyone stares at them and the man, and Naeun starts shaking beside her.

 

The man sways dangerously as he yells, “She’s just as much of a cold as everyone says she is!” He points an accusing finger at Eunji and continues, “And you, you’re just a cheap !” He turns to shout at the crowd staring at them, “It’s all a lie, you idiots!”

 

Eunji doesn’t even hesitate to punch the man when he turns back to face her. There’s a ripple of surprised gasps as the man stumbles and crashes into a nearby table. Eunji shakes out her hand, but she doesn’t regret it. She walks back over to Naeun, cups her face, and sees the tears in her eyes. She pulls her closer, their noses brushing.

 

“Hey, are you okay?” Eunji asks softly.

 

Naeun just cries silently and shakes her head.

 

Eunji rests her forehead against Naeun’s. In the past three months, Naeun has become one of Eunji’s closest friends, and it hurts her to see how some people treat her. After a moment, Eunji pulls away and wraps an arm around Naeun’s waist. She leads her out of the party and takes her home.

 

After making sure Naeun is safe in her penthouse, Eunji texts Namjoo what happened then heads home herself.

 

When she lets herself into her apartment, the last thing Eunji expects it to see it looking like a hurricane tore through it. She stares blankly for a moment then calls out worriedly, “Chorong?”

 

Eunji feels her heart stop when Chorong steps out of their bedroom, eyes red with the engagement ring Eunji’s had hidden for the past six months clutched in her hand. She swiftly looks around the room before asking carefully, “Chorong, what happened?”

 

“You,” Chorong says quietly. “You are what happened.”

 

Eunji steps closer. “What do you mean, Chorong?”

 

“This!” Chorong cries out, practically throwing her phone at Eunji’s face.

 

It’s only thanks to Eunji’s quick reflexes that she manages catch the phone. She looks down at it and it feels like she’s dying. It’s a picture of Eunji and Naeun at the after party. It’s when Eunji was comforting Naeun after she punched the man, but the angle makes it look like they’re kissing.

 

“Chorong, it’s not what it looks like,” Eunji says immediately. She tosses the phone onto the kitchen counter then turns to Chorong with her hands raised slightly. “We aren’t kissing in that picture. I have never kissed Naeun, never.”

 

“How can I trust you?” Chorong chokes out.

 

Eunji feels like something is burning in her chest as she says quietly, “You told me you’d trust me one more time.”

 

“I tried!” Chorong shouts. “But how can I when you leave to go on those dumb dates? You always look so happy when you leave and you’re happy when you come back. I know you’re attracted to her, so how am I supposed to know? We’ve barely even had since this whole charade started. I see the pictures of the two of you everywhere, no matter how hard I try. I see the pictures and you look at her like you love her.”

 

“I do not,” Eunji snaps. “You can accuse me of whatever you want, but I do not look at her the way I look at you.”

 

“Maybe it’s because you love her now.”

 

Eunji drags her hands through her hair and yells, “You stubborn idiot!” She walks over and grabs Chorong’s shoulders, shaking her, “Look at what’s in your hand! Do you think I would’ve bought a ring for you if I didn’t love you?” Now, Eunji is the one crying as she desperately tries to get Chorong to listen to her. “I love you, Chorong. Whatever I felt for Naeun was nothing more than dumb attraction. It was pointless lust. I don’t love her. I love you. Please believe that.”

 

“I don’t know what to believe anymore,” Chorong says softly.

 

“Believe me,” Eunji begs. “Please, Chorong. I love you.”

 

Chorong steps out of Eunji’s hold and presses the ring box into her hand. “I think I need some space,” Chorong says. She refuses to look Eunji in the eye. “I think you should go stay with Bomi for a while.”

 

Eunji cries harder as she forces herself to ask, “How long is a while?”

 

Chorong doesn’t say anything for a long moment before she says, “I don’t know.”

 

“Please, I love you,” Eunji tries one more time.

 

“Eunji,” Chorong sighs. She finally looks at her and cradles her face in her hands. “Please leave.”

 

With that, she disappears into the bedroom and leaves Eunji as she falls to the ground sobbing, begging incoherently for Chorong to believe her.

 


A/N: please feel free to yell at me in the comments or on twitter @eunbestie !