part one

snapshots of us

 

“Just one more, please.”

 

Chorong can’t help but smile as she gently pushes the camera away and says, “No more! You’ve already taken so many pictures of me today, and I look awful.”

 

It’s one of the first nice days of spring, and Eunji dragged her out of their apartment at first light, camera in hand. The two have spent their morning sipping coffee and walking along the nearby river. Well, Chorong has. Eunji has been shoving her coffee into Chorong’s free hand every two seconds to take pictures.

 

“You look beautiful,” Eunji tells her earnestly as she lifts her camera up again.

 

“You’re just saying that,” Chorong says with a roll of her eyes. “You’re my girlfriend. It’s not like you can just tell me I’m ugly.”

 

“That’s right,” Eunji nods with an amused grin, “but I’m not lying this time.”

 

“This time?” Chorong repeats.

 

Eunji laughs, and the familiar click of the camera follows. She takes a few serious shots, eyebrows furrowed with her tongue poking out. However, she soon starts goofing off again as she playfully skips around Chorong, most likely taking blurry pictures that she’ll delete later.

 

“We should be head back soon,” Chorong says after glancing at her watch. “You have your shoot in two hours, and you still have to drive down there.”

 

“It’s just Bomi,” Eunji points out, even as she changes their direction back towards their apartment.

 

‘Just Bomi’ is an rising YouTuber that Eunji’s done photoshoots with a few times before. The two of them clicked instantly, personalities matching perfectly and both trying to make it big in their respective industries.

 

“I don’t care if it’s Bomi or some nobody off the street,” Chorong says. “You have to take all of your shoots seriously, so they know they can trust you with more important ones later.”

 

Eunji scrunches up her nose but doesn’t deny it. She’s always been impatient. She just wants to go out and take pictures that will actually be shown somewhere. Bomi’s at least go to magazines or websites, but a lot of the shoots Eunji does maybe reach twenty people max. She knows she’s still new to the game, but it’s maddening to only be put on small shoots.

 

Eunji is startled out of her thoughts by a kiss from Chorong. She blinks before a smile immediately brightens her face. She throws away her empty coffee cup in a nearby trash can then reaches out to tangle their fingers together. She brings their joined hands up to her lips and presses a firm kiss to the back of Chorong’s.

 

“Thanks for always supporting me,” Eunji says softly. She says it practically every day, and she means it every time. Eunji works weird hours sometimes, and it isn’t like her small time photos make a lot of money. Lesser people would’ve left her by now, but not Chorong.

 

“Of course,” Chorong says, kissing Eunji once more. Then she teases, “Just remember me when you’re famous.”

 

“As if I could ever forget you!” Eunji exclaims.

 

Chorong grins, “Damn right.”

 

-

 

“Okay, we’re done here. Let’s get Bomi changed and head to the next set.”

 

It’s almost three in the afternoon, and Eunji stretches her arms over her head with a yawn. She’s already ready to go home and crawl into bed with Chorong, but she’ll be busy for at least another hour and a half. Hopefully, Chorong will have ordered take-out by the time Eunji gets home.

 

“Eunji!” Bomi calls from where she’s changing into a dress.

 

“Coming!”

 

Bomi is probably one of Eunji’s favorite people, coming only second to Chorong and her family. She’s loud and fearless, not to mention ridiculously funny. It’s always a blessing to do a shoot with her because Bomi keeps it fun and relaxed.

 

“Look at Son Naeun’s latest shoot!” Bomi says, shoving her phone into Eunji’s face.

 

Eunji manages to catch the phone before Bomi can drop it and scrolls absently through the article Bomi has pulled up. Son Naeun is famous, like it’s impossible to walk down any public street without seeing her face kind of famous. She’s the face of Adidas, and about thirty other brands also sponsor her. It’s more often than not that she has some sort of photoshoot out.

 

The latest one makes Eunji frown though. It’s bland, keeping her in the same kind of sleek and chic clothing that Naeun is always dressed in. It’s all monochrome and sharp angles for Naeun’s shoots, and Eunji itches to get her hands on the famous model. She knows she could do a much better job at highlighting Naeun’s beauty, far better than this hack job she’s looking at.

 

“You don’t look all that impressed,” Bomi comments curiously when Eunji hands back the phone.

 

Eunji shrugs and tucks her hands in her pant pockets as she says, “It’s the same old thing. I’m waiting for someone to do something different.”

 

“You mean that you would do something different,” Bomi says, catching onto Eunji’s unsaid words immediately. She tilts her head and says, “I’m supposed to be at the same event as her later this week. It’s basically a schmoozing event, and I don’t even know if she’ll acknowledge my existence, but I can mention you, if you want.”

 

“Yeah, that would be great,” Eunji says with a bright smile. “I’ll send you some of my favorite shots, just in case.”

 

“If she has any sense, she’ll come banging on your door the moment she sees them,” Bomi tells her with a wink. “There’s a reason I keep coming back to you for my shoots.”

 

“Ah, thank you for saying that.”

 

Bomi snorts and says, “Modesty doesn’t suit you.”

 

“Chorong says my head will explode if it gets any bigger,” Eunji explains with a huff of laughter. She reaches out and adjusts the straps of the dress.

 

“She’s good for you,” Bomi says knowingly. She nods her thanks to Eunji then the two of them walk to get Bomi’s hair and make-up touched up. “Don’t let her go.”

 

“Trust me, I don’t plan on it.”

 

-

 

Eunji is asleep on Sunday morning, curled behind Chorong, when her phone starts ringing and ringing and ringing. It’s too early, she knows, so she’s determined to ignore it. She tightens her hold around Chorong’s waist and buries her face into the space between Chorong’s neck and the pillows.

 

Eventually though, Chorong blindly reaches behind and hits her, mumbling, “Babe, please answer your phone.”

 

Groaning, Eunji drags herself away from Chorong and, taking a few tries, grabs her phone.

 

“Why?” Eunji says immediately into the phone as she blinks at the sun that’s shining far too brightly for how early it is.

 

“Eunji, you would not believe it!”

 

She can’t help but mutter a curse and ask, “Bomi?”

 

“Of course, it’s me! Who else would be calling you at eight in the morning on a Sunday?”

 

“Satan?”

 

“I’m ignoring that because I have great news! I managed to talk to Son Naeun yesterday, and she was really into your photos, Eunji! She told me that her manager would contact you soon for her next shoot.”

 

Eunji is wide awake in an instant, almost breaking her neck with how fast she sits up. She clutches her phone with two hands as she says, “Please tell me you aren’t messing me.”

 

“I swear!”

 

“Thank you, thank you, thank you,” Eunji says reverently into the phone. “I owe you, like, thirty meals.”

 

“Deal. Lunch at one?”

 

Eunji confirms the time and place before haphazardly tossing her phone aside. She rolls onto her knees and excitedly shakes Chorong, who’s still half-asleep. “Wake up!” Eunji yells. “Wake up, Chorong!” When Chorong just whines and tries to curl away, Eunji pushes her onto her back and straddles her hips. “Wake up!” Eunji repeats as she tickles Chorong’s sides. “Wake up! I’m going to have a shoot with Son Naeun!”

 

“What?” Chorong shouts, a little breathless from the tickling. She freezes at Eunji’s last words, staring up at her girlfriend with wide eyes. “Did I hear you right? Son Naeun?”

 

“Son Naeun,” Eunji nods with a grin so wide it feels like her face just might split in half.

 

“Oh my god!”

 

Chorong sits up and almost knocks over Eunji with how excited her hug is, but Eunji just laughs and hugs her back just as tight. The two of them stay like that, both of them reeling from the great news. When Chorong pulls back, Eunji kisses her immediately, cradling her face like it’s the most precious thing in the world.

 

“We should celebrate,” Chorong murmurs into the kiss.

 

“I am celebrating,” Eunji replies, kissing her way down Chorong’s neck and slipping her hands under her shirt.

 

Chorong gasps a little when Eunji at the skin over her pulse, but she still manages to say, “I meant going out to a nice restaurant.” She pauses, distracted by Eunji tugging her shirt off. Her eyes can’t help but trail over tan skin and smooth muscles, and it’s only because of Eunji’s chuckle that she snaps out of it. Chorong huffs and shuts her up with a rough kiss, pulling her down on top of her.

 

“Dinner later,” Eunji gasps into the kiss when Chorong digs her nails into her back. “Later. A lot later.”

 

-

 

“You’re going to make a hole in our floor,” Chorong tells her, not without amusement, from where she’s drinking her coffee at the kitchen bar. “Actually, it’s not even our floor. We’re renting this apartment. Please don’t make a hole.”

 

Eunji glares at her but stops in the middle of the space between their kitchen and living room. It’s barely seven in the morning, but that doesn’t really matter because Eunji has her photoshoot with Son Naeun at nine. She doesn’t remember ever being this nervous for a shoot before. She shouldn’t be though. She’d painstakingly picked out the set pieces and outfits with Naeun’s manager’s intrigued approval, and she’s been brainstorming poses for days. She’s ready, technically.

 

Except, this is Eunji’s make it or break it moment, and she’s really afraid she’s going to royally screw up somehow. She remembers getting the call from her boss a little over a week ago, the surprise in his voice when he told her that she was getting assigned to Son Naeun’s latest shoot. Her first real, important shoot. It’s going to be printed in one of the major magazines as an accompaniment to Naeun’s interview with them.

 

“Hey, look at me.”

 

Chorong is suddenly in front of her, holding her face in her hands with a very serious look.

 

“You are an amazing photographer,” Chorong says, “and Son Naeun is the lucky one here. You’re going to blow her away with your talent, and after this, she’ll only want you to take her pictures, just like Bomi.” Chorong finishes this proclamation with a firm kiss then a warm smile. “You’re amazing,” Chorong adds softly.

 

Eunji smiles as the tension magically drains right out of her, resting her forehead against Chorong’s. “You’re pretty amazing yourself,” Eunji tells her.

 

“I know,” Chorong says, giving her that adorable smile where her nose crinkles. “Now, go kick metaphorical photography !”

 

-

 

The first thing Eunji thinks is that Son Naeun is somehow even more beautiful in person than she is in any photograph. She feels a sense of panic but also a thrum of challenge at the idea of trying to capture her beauty today.

 

“Good morning!” Eunji greets her brightly. She holds out her hand and says, “I’m Jeong Eunji. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

 

Her manager Namjoo speaks up first. She’s a cute young woman who also gives off the vibe that she’s not meant to be messed with. She gives a friendly smile though as she shakes her hand and says, “Kim Namjoo. We talked on the phone. This is my client, Son Naeun.”

 

“The star of the shoot today,” Eunji nods. She flashes her brightest smile, the one that Chorong says made her fall in love, and holds her hand out to the quiet woman. “I’m honored to be working with you. I hope we can get some good pictures out of today.”

 

Naeun regards her coolly, but her grip is firm when she shakes Eunji’s hand.

 

Even though Eunji is a little perturbed by the silent treatment, she shakes it off easily. She waves a hand over to the rack of clothes that she was fussing over before they arrived. “I have a few concepts I’d like to try with you,” Eunji explains as she walks Namjoo and Naeun over ot the rack. She runs her hand over the clothing, all soft and warm colors.

 

“Different concepts?” Namjoo hums curiously, even though Eunji’s already talked to her about all of them beforehand. “Like what?”

 

“I want to show different sides to Naeun,” Eunji says confidently, even as her fingers tremble slightly. She closes her hands into fists then continues, “I’d like a shoot with a dog or cat, if you’re okay with animals. I have a contact at a nearby pet store that can drop off either whenever it’s time for that concept. I also want to do a cozier shoot with oversized sweaters and books. The last idea I have is one of Naeun painting.”

 

Naeun looks intrigued by this idea, and Eunji tells her boldly, “I’ve heard you’re a great artist, but maybe you’d like to prove it today at this shoot.”

 

Something flickers across Naeun’s face, too quickly for Eunji to process what, but then a small smile curls at the corners of Naeun’s face.

 

“Let’s do it,” Naeun says, and her voice is smooth and soft. She locks eyes with Eunji and says, “Show me what you’ve got.”

 

Eunji grins, feeling a burst of adrenaline at the challenge. “Okay, let’s get you set up for the first shoot.”

 

-

 

Eunji learns quickly that Naeun rarely smiles, but when she does, it feels something like an arrow to the heart. She focuses on her work for the most part, making sure to test different angles and lighting, but every once in a while, she looks at Naeun and remembers why this woman is so famous. For all her quiet coolness, there’s something devastatingly magnetic about Son Naeun.

 

She also has a really cute laugh.

 

“Okay, now look deep in thought,” Eunji tells Naeun. The set is something like a living room with piles of books surrounding Naeun, who’s sitting in the middle in an oversized sweater. “Think about, uhh, what you’re going to have dinner. Should you have fish? Or maybe you aren’t a big fan of seafood. I hear there’s a really good fried chicken place near here.”

 

Naeun bursts into giggles, shaking her head. At the sound, Eunji stops immediately as a smile makes its way across her own face. Then she remembers her job and quickly snaps a few shots of Naeun before her laughter fades.

 

“You’re beautiful,” Eunji tells her. Then she grins crookedly and adds, “But you’re supposed to be looking thoughtful, maybe even a little sad.”

 

“You can’t expect me to not laugh when you’re over there talking about fried chicken,” Naeun replies, and although she isn’t smiling anymore, there’s a new lightness to her face.

 

“Ah, should I go back to the fish then?” Eunji jokes.

 

Naeun smiles again, small and shy, and Eunji automatically lifts her camera to take a picture. She only manages to take two before Naeun scowls at the camera, making Eunji laugh.

 

“I never see you laughing in your photos,” Eunji tells her as she shakes her camera for emphasis. “You’re always so serious and broody, but you’re also really pretty when you smile. Besides, I did say I wanted to show a new side to you, didn’t I?”

 

“You’ll have to make me smile then,” Naeun tells her, a hint of challenge in her voice.

 

Eunji shakes her head but she’s smiling as she says, “Okay, Miss Son, deal.”

 

It’s after Eunji’s sent Naeun to get changed when her friend Hayoung enters the studio with a ridiculously fluffy dog in her arms. Eunji walks over to them immediately, playfully ignoring her friend in favor of cooing over the dog.

 

“This is the thanks I get?” Hayoung complains.

 

“Thank you,” Eunji says as she wrestles the dog into her arms. “Are you gonna stay and watch?”

 

Hayoung shrugs and says, “If your model doesn’t mind. If not, I’ll probably go for coffee or something.”

 

At this time, Naeun wanders back over to them in a pair of denim overalls with her hair pulled into a high ponytail. She looks youthful and bright, even more so when her face breaks into a grin at the sight of the dog. Meanwhile, Eunji is amused to see Hayoung’s jaw drop at the sight of Naeun. She didn’t tell Hayoung who her model is, and now she’s glad she didn’t because her reaction is too good.

 

“Is this my partner for the shoot?” Naeun asks, gently scratching the dog’s head.

 

“Yeah, my friend Hayoung brought her over,” Eunji says, nodding her head towards said woman.

 

Naeun practically beams at Hayoung, and Eunji barely manages to hold in her snort at the way Hayoung blushes at the attention.

 

“You should stay,” Eunji says to Hayoung. When Hayoung looks at her with wide, panicked eyes, Eunji just smiles breezily and adds, “You know, for the dog.”

 

“Yes, stay,” Naeun says seriously. “I don’t want to upset the dog.”

 

All of Eunji’s preconceptions about Son Naeun are rapidly being replaced by this soft woman who rarely smiles but with an apparent heart of gold. She hopes she can show the rest of the world this woman with this shoot.

 

-

 

It’s almost five by the time the photo shoot ends. Everyone’s gone, except for Eunji and Naeun. Eunji stays until the very end to check in with everyone and see where to go forward from here but also to make sure everything is cleaned properly. She expects Naeun to leave as soon as she changes back into a pair of leggings and a worn hoodie, but she trails after Eunji as she closes the shoot.

 

Eunji doesn’t question it, instead getting to know Naeun better. She’s an interesting conversation partner when you can get her to talk, and Eunji likes the little smiles she can get out of her.

 

When Eunji turns around from packing up her camera equipment, she sees Naeun standing by the window with the setting sun casting a golden glow on her. Eunji stands there for a moment, utterly in awe of Naeun’s beauty. Without giving it a second thought, Eunji grabs her camera and lifts it up. She takes a few shots, but she doesn’t like the angle so she moves closer.

 

Naeun turns to look out her, but Eunji quickly says, “No, go back to the way you were.” She waits until Naeun hesitantly looks back out the window. Eunji steps closer, eyes set on a few messy strands of hair. Eunji reaches out to fix her hair, and she feels electricity spark through her fingertips when she accidentally makes eye contact.

 

She lowers her camera, but her fingers stay where they are, barely brushing Naeun’s cheek. Eunji her lips, and her heart feels like it’s about to beat out of her chest when she watches the way Naeun’s eyes follow the movement. Slowly, Eunji gently tucks Naeun’s hair behind her ear. She stops breathing when Naeun leans into the touch.

 

Eunji doesn’t move when Naeun’s eyes flutter shut as she leans in, feeling her own eyes begin to close. It’s only when Naeun’s lips begin to brush against hers that Eunji’s senses come crashing back.

 

“I have a girlfriend,” Eunji blurts out, stumbling away with wide eyes as she realizes what almost happened (what practically did happen). “I have a girlfriend who I really love, and I’ve been dating her for almost two years, and I hate cheaters, and I’m so sorry, but I didn’t mean to, and it just happened but I...” Eunji shakes her head and finishes lamely, “I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s okay,” Naeun smiles humorlessly. She sighs and moves to create more space between them. Then she peers at Eunji through her eyelashes and asks softly, “But it wasn’t just me, right?”

 

Eunji gulps. Her first instinct it to deny it. She wants to say there was no spark, that she would never feel that way towards anyone other than Chorong. She wants to blame it all on Naeun, but she knows she can’t.  After taking a shaky breath, she admits quietly, “No, it wasn’t just you.” She runs a hand through her hair and sighs. “I’m really sorry,” Eunji says. “I swear I’m usually more professional than this.”

 

“It’s okay,” Naeun repeats, but this time more sincerely. “I’m sorry too.” She looks down at her hands and says, “You’re the first person who’s really looked at me like I’m a person, and you didn’t even care that I was quiet, and you actually talked to me, and you really listened to me... You were different.”

 

Eunji feels like thirty different kinds of right now, but she still walks forward and hesitantly pulls Naeun into a hug. She wonders if that’s really the move to be making right now, but then she feels Naeun’s shoulders shaking and feels the unmistakable wetness of tears on her shoulders. Eunji holds her tighter as Naeun cries.

 

A few minutes later, Naeun pulls away with red, puffy eyes and flushed cheeks. “I’m such a mess,” she says pitifully. “I don’t even know you that well, but I’ve already tried to kiss you and sobbed on your shoulder.”

 

“I’m always free for a good cry,” Eunji tells her with a slight smile. “How about I call you a cab?”

 

Naeun thinks for a moment then nods. As they walk outside, she says, “I'm sorry, again.”

 

“It’s a mess,” Eunji says bluntly, “but I’ll deal with it.” She pauses on the sidewalk and tentatively rests a hand on Naeun’s arm. “Listen, mess or not, it was a lot of fun being on set with you today, so if you ever need a friend, well, your manager has my number.”

 

“Thank you,” Naeun tells her as the cab pulls up. She smiles at Eunji, soft and grateful, then disappears into the night.

 

Eunji watches her go then sighs. It’s time to go home.

 

-

 

When Eunji lets herself into the apartment, there’s half-eaten pizza on the kitchen table, and she can hear the TV playing from the living room. She takes off her shoes, places her things on their front table, then shuffles towards the living room with a heavy heart.

 

Chorong is curled up on the couch with a bowl of popcorn beside her, wearing one of Eunji’s hoodies from college. The mere sight nearly sends Eunji into tears. She must make a sound because Chorong looks up, a smile already on her face. However, the smile fades quickly when she sees Eunji’s expression.

 

“What’s wrong?” Chorong asks immediately as she gets up. She hurries over to her and holds Eunji’s faces, tenderly wiping away the tears that have managed to fall. “Babe, what’s wrong? Did something happen at the shoot?”

 

The last question just makes Eunji cry harder, and she lets Chorong hug her, burying her face into her neck. She hugs her tightly, just in case it’s the last time, before pulling herself together. With shaky breathing and trembling hands, Eunji wipes away her tears and faces Chorong’s face, full of love and concern.

 

She doesn’t deserve her.

 

“I have to tell you something,” Eunji chokes out, voice gravelly and quiet. She sniffles and continues, “I almost kissed Naeun.”

 

The change is instantaneous.

 

Chorong stumbles away with her, betrayal and hurt clear across her face. “You what?” Chorong asks, voice low and dangerous.

 

“I… I was taking her picture, and I went to fix her hair,” Eunji explains carefully, knowing how dumb and made up it sounds. “Then she leaned in, and I didn’t pull away at first.”

 

“And then?”

 

“And then I asked myself what the I was doing and moved away.”

 

A humorless smile makes its way onto Chorong’s face, and it leaves a bitter taste in Eunji’s mouth.

 

“I don’t want to make excuses,” Eunji tells her. “I know that I ed up. I know there’s no real good answer for what I almost did.” She lowers her head and says, “I know that you have every right to end it with me right here, right now.”

 

There’s a long silence, and Eunji thinks Chorong really is going to leave her, but then Chorong’s hands are holding her face and Chorong is kissing her. So caught off guard, Eunji stays still aside from kissing her back. Her hands stay by her side, even as they want to pull her closer. When Chorong pulls away, she has tears in her eyes.

 

“I love you,” Chorong tells her.

 

Eunji feels like her heart is breaking as she replies, “I love you too.” A goodbye kiss? Their last kiss?

 

“I’m still really hurt, but I need you to know I could never leave you,” Chorong says. She Eunji’s face and says, “You have a big heart, and I’m not naive enough to believe you’d never feel anything for anyone else ever again after we started dating. I just need to know you’ll keep choosing to be with me.”

 

“Really?” Eunji can’t help but whisper. She tentatively wraps her arms around Chorong’s waist and says the thought that’s been lingering in her mind. “I don’t deserve you.”

 

“Maybe you do, maybe you don’t,” Chorong says, “but in the end, I’m choosing you, and you’re choosing me.”

 

Eunji rests her forehead against Chorong’s. They take a moment.

 

After the emotional trauma, they end up in their bed together, tightly snuggled together. Eunji does nothing besides chaste kisses and holding. She knows it will be a while, until Chorong will feel comfortable doing anything more. It doesn’t matter to her. Eunji will take whatever Chorong gives her, feels lucky to even be in her presence.

 

It’s only when Eunji is half-asleep with Chorong in her arms that she hears her phone buzz. Gently maneuvering around Chorong, Eunji checks it lazily, but what she sees makes the blood in her veins run cold.

 

It’s a text from Naeun with a picture of them by the window, almost kissing. The message attached reads: We need to talk.

 


a/n: there's part one of three! please feel free to yell at me in the comments. also 1) i know nothing about photography and 2) i am in no way condoning cheating with this fic. thank you for reading!