The Light We Lost

Of Bottled Up Feelings and Overflowing Emotions
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They met in the summer of 1952

Warning: Flashbacks

Chaeyoung took a deep breath as she stared into her nearly packed suitcase. One of her pretty delicate hands reached out to caress the smooth surface of her favorite dress, a yellow sundress, the one with big buttons, perfectly folded with the rest of her things. In another life, one that she'd be way stronger than she is now, she'd reach out to hold it to her face, maybe even smell it, trying to find traces of her. 

But Chaeyoung didn't need any more memories, not now because she didn't have much time. She was going to college, and it's in college where people starts fresh, at least, that's what her daddy told her when she came home crying that night, that seemed so so so long ago, when it really had only been a year. A year. 365 days. Three hundred and sixty five days, all of those days surrounded by people, yet all alone.

That night ...

Jennie had called her that afternoon, urging her to come to the county fair with her and her "he's-not-my-sweetheart" Ten. Most times, Chaeyoung doesn't mind going out with the two of them, but she's not in the mood today. She doesn't really like county fairs, maybe except for the cotton candy, but Jennie is so annoyingly cute - and persuasive - she agrees. It's her best friend, anyway.

She puts on a yellow sundress with big buttons, pulls up her hair in a ponytail and leaves. She doesn't tell her Daddy that Ten is coming tonight: he doesn't like him (something about him being too frisky), but for an unexplainable reason, she wants to get out of the house tonight.

"Oh my Gosh Chaeng, you look lovely!" Jennie beamed and quickly went over to give her a hug when she met them at the place she promised they would be, right in front of the popcorn stand.

"T-Thank you." Chaeyoung swallowed, and right after she had said hello to both Ten and Jennie, a tall blonde skipped over to them, her hand holding up a big cone of cotton candy. She was wearing jeans (girls normally wore dresses, especially to county fairs) and a plaid white 'n blue shirt. She had big hoop earrings falling from earlobes, and a smile shined like the stars in the sky, bright enough to light up a whole city.

Chaeyoung wondered why her heart beat so fast.

"Right on time, Lisa!" Jennie clapped, bringing Lisa over closer to Chaeyoung. "Chaeng, this is Lisa Manoban, Ten's friend from Thailand. She just graduated High School as well. Lisa, this is Park Chaeyoung, my best friend." She grinned widely, and Chaeyoung bit her lip.

"It's really nice to meet you, Lisa." She said politely, though her first instinct was to hug her tight and ask her for a bite of her cotton candy.

But why did she want to act like a little girl?

"Hi!" Lisa said cheerfully "Seems like you'll be my date tonight, Ms. Park."

She laughs before she even has the chance to hold herself back, and suddenly, it's like Jennie, Ten and the whole county fair don't even exist.

Chaeyoung blushes when Lisa offers her arm, and Jennie raises an eyebrow. She's the only one that knows her secret besides her parents, a secret that could cost her life in 1952, and it was like her best friend warned her, do not fall in love with a simple look.

But she was far in too deep for that, little did she know.

They all go to the Ferris Wheel later on, and Lisa offers her some cotton candy. She gladly accepts.

"Cotton candy is the only good thing about these county fairs." 

Chaeyoung's face burns on fire as she shyly takes a bite. Lisa's mouth is so pretty, she is so pretty, she realizes, with her sweet, yet challenging smile, her shiny blonde hair and her dark brown eyes.

Lisa kisses her that night, just about the Ferris Wheel reaches its highest point. It's Chaeyoung's first kiss, and she hopes the blonde doesn't know or doesn't notice. She'd hate for her to disappear, because she definitely wants those lips again.

"I like kissing." Chaeyoung moans just as her lips leave Lisa's, though her face burns right after. She hates how easily she blushes.

Chaeyoung hates a lot of things. She hates it when Lisa is not around, she hates falling asleep without her by her side and she hates it even more that Lisa has to live with Ten. Her father kicked her out because he found out about her darkest secret, the same secret that Chaeyoung had. It was selfish of her to think that if Lisa hadn't been thrown out, she'd never have come to Korea, they'd never meet, and they'd never fall in love.

"You do?" Lisa wiggles her eyebrows down at her, just about another sad song blurts through the radio. Chaeyoung nods again, though her face gets even redder, making Lisa giggle as she presses a kiss to the corner of Chaeyoung's mouth. "Look at you, my cute chipmunk." She teases.

They've been doing this a lot lately, driving out to kiss where no one could find them. It has been four months since they met at the fair but Chaeyoung still wonders if Lisa really loves her. They haven't said anything, and she's scared to do so.

"I'm scared." Lisa confesses while Chaeyoung presses the cold cloth against her own hand, giggling at Lisa's terrified expression as the tattooist sterilized the machine.

"Don't be. I'm here." Chaeyoung assured her, leaning in to give her a quick, silent peck on the lips so no one would hear, glad the man was turned around. They couldn't afford to get caught, now that things were going so incredibly good, so good it seemed she was in a constant dream.

It was Chaeyoung's eighteenth birthday, and Lisa was the one to suggest matching tattoos. For the rest of that stupid small town, they were just two close friends getting tattoos, so it was not a big deal. They decided on something simple, a small black heart to their left wrists. It was somehow a cliché, but they didn't care.

Half an hour later, Lisa is still and whining in pain as they leave the tattoo booth to have some ice cream before Lisa has to head home to the Suparat's household. Ten's mom was nice but very strict on time maybe because she was always right on time.

"C'mon, it was not so bad." Chaeyoung smiled, wishing she could take her girlfriend's hand as they walk down the street. "I can kiss it better later... If you want." She offered, and a small smirk appeared on Lisa's naturally pink lips.

"If you kiss there, you might have to kiss somewhere else, too." Lisa murmured in a low voice. 

Chaeyoung's face turned into an embarrassing reddish hue as she nervously smiled and bit her lip.

Sometimes they got scared, scared to an almost death, fearing being adults. They were already applying for college, and they wanted the same area of study, though in a completely different major: They wanted to study Music, but Chaeyoung wanted to be a singer while Lisa wanted to study dancing and play violin.

When the blonde first told her, it was hard to believe that her little bad Lisa wanted to play such a classic instrument as the violin for a living, but most of all, Chaeyoung was just unbelievably glad that they'd probably go to the same school, and with Chaeyoung's and Lisa's outstanding grades over High School, their admission were bound to be accepted soon.

"Things change in college, you know." Lisa said on a low tone, fingers still playing with Chaeyoung's brown locks. "At least, that's what people say… I..." Her voice hitched over , and Chaeyoung shook her head, rising her head and reaching out so her thumb brushed against Lisa's cheek.

"Things won't change between us." Chaeyoung reassured her with a smile, nodding softly as her thumb still caressed Lisa's soft skin, the words stuck on her tongue as she opened to say them. It had been already more than four months since she's known Lisa... It was about time. She had to do it. She had to tell her. What if she wouldn't get the chance afterwards?

"How do you know?" Lisa bit her lip. "How do you know we're not going to be like every other couple that goes to college, Chaeyoung? Why woul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter