Chapter IV

The Other Him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Someone knocked on my door a few minutes before we headed to our own rooms. I went out and saw Taehyung with a tired smile, still wearing a tie which he already loosened, “Yes, sir?”

He laughed, “Thanks a lot for earlier. You saved me”

“It’s nothing”

“Can we talk?”

“Yeah, sure.” I welcomed him in and led him to the veranda. The cool breeze made me shiver a bit as I took a seat, “we have a party tomorrow night. Opening ceremony, will you come?” he asked. “Of course. Can I bring Solbin?”

“Yes, anyone you’d like”

“Well thank you”

“Actually” he cleared his throat, “there’s something you need to know, you deserve to know” he corrected, “about Jungkook”

“About that session?” I asked.

“Including that. When mom passed away and he was betrayed by the girl he loved he developed an illness” he looked away for a second, “he is suffering from bipolar mental illness. The doctor said it’s like a defense mechanism developed from so much pain”

My mouth opened in shock, “That explains why…”

“He’s behaving inconsistently. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner. I wanted you treat him as the same and even he, he doesn’t want anyone knowing about it”

“So why did you tell me? He might get mad at you” I asked in worry. “We have troubled you a lot and I’m asking also for your patience around him. There are times that he’ll be really sensitive and if you can, look out for him when I’m not around. I’ve warned by the doctor that he might be suicidal in that state as well”

I covered my mouth in disbelief. I can’t believe he has it; I have heard about it but I don’t really have knowledge about it. “So will he still recover? Or get well?”

“He can but the problem is, he refuse to get treated at Japan and he sometimes refuse to drink his meds. Actually dad, sent him with me here hoping he’ll remember our life here. It was good and we were happy… We are hoping he’d find a reason to fight it and get well.” Taehyung’s eyes got teary and mine stung as well. “If I can help, anything I can” I uttered and he smiled, “You’re really nice”

“Sometimes” I replied and we laughed but deep down I felt the burden Taehyung was carrying. He must be really worried about Jungkook, much more than I do. If only I was there for Jungkook… If I was there what could I do? Will I able to comfort him and make him feel good? I wish I was able to.

Guess I couldn’t make it without Solbin. I looked at my reflection on the mirror totally impressed. The dress totally suits me and the make-up, “Thanks a lot”

“Anything for you” Solbin handed me my purse and we head out. It was the grand opening party of Taehyung’s new business branch and he invited us. Stockholders from different countries are all there as well as the employees. We took off early since the venue is at the other city.

There were so many people and I was pleased to see some gowns designed by mom. The foreigners are almost half of the population. All of our attention transferred to Taehyung when he made the opening remarks at the platform. He really did grow up like his father; smart, responsible, kind and witty; he almost have everything and speaking of…

“Does he have a girlfriend?“ Solbin suddenly asked and I shrugged, “I don’t think so. I never saw him with a girl since they stayed at our house and he got a lot on his plate already so” I looked at Taehyung and he smiled as soon as our eyes met. He shook the hands of another two guests and went towards us.

I could only clear my throat and Solbin could only grin. “Hey! You made it. Thanks” he was slightly panting from all the greetings after he came down from the platform.  “You two look lovely tonight” he commented.

“And you handsome as always” I replied. “Thanks for allowing me here” Solbin uttered, ignoring the mischievous smile I was wearing. “Airi’s friends are always welcome” Taehyung uttered.

“Hyung. You might as well dance with her to make her comfortable” Jungkook interrupted who suddenly came out of nowhere. “You’re here” Taehyung uttered surprised and he smirked.

Jungkook was wearing a black suit and I can’t believe I was still staring at him. He looks manly and I should say really handsome; they’re siblings after all.

“Do you mind?” Taehyung asked offering a hand which Solbin gladly took. I finally managed to take my eyes away from Jungkook and held back a giggle; I’m sure Solbin will be really enjoying this night, good for her.

I turned to Jungkook and saw him gulping down the champagne on his glass, “Hey the party just started” I reminded worriedly. I followed his gaze and it led mine to Taehyung and Solbin dancing, “I thought you like Taehyung”

“I told you I don’t. Solbin likes him and I never thought you could be handy sometimes. Thanks” I grinned. I looked at them once again; they look good together or I was just being bias. Taehyung suddenly looked like he saw a ghost and he looked at me in panic. What might be wrong? I was about to head towards them when he motioned his eyes at the left. At their left, there was a couple dancing; a man in his forties and a young girl, maybe around our age. I looked at Taehyung again and he mouthed something. When he repeated it, I’m not sure but it seems to me like he’s saying “Mina” and it took almost a minute for me to remember. Mina! Jungkook’s ex.

“Hey” I turned to him, almost startling him. I grabbed his arm, “Could you please accompany me outside? My head’s spinning. I need fresh air” I dragged him before he could answer and I finally get to breathe when we got outside. Looks like I really do need some fresh air. My heart was pounding fast in fear that he might see her. “What happened to you? Are you pregnant?” he asked and I threw him a glare. “I’m not”

“If you feel fine now, I’ll be inside”

“No. Wait” I grabbed his arm and struggled what I should say. He stared at me waiting for me to continue but my stupid mind stopped working. Maybe I’m not just used to lying? I almost laughed on the thought. “Fine. Let’s sit there for a while” he took my hand from his arm and held it as he led me to one of the benches at the park. I finally get to relax, my heart finally stopped pounding fast. His hand was warm and comforting, doesn’t feel awkward as I thought it would be. He let me sit and eyed me, “do you still feel dizzy?” he asked and let go of my hand. “A bit” I uttered just in case that is still there inside. He sat next to me and sighed, “I’m thirsty”

My phone suddenly rang, he peered and grab it away from me before I can hit the answer button. “Hey loser, we’re busy. Call her tomorrow—“ I grabbed it from him in rage. “What the hell” I checked the phone and the call already ended. Great, just great. Hanbin will definitely go here this instant. “What’s your problem? Why do you hate him so much?”

“Why do you like him?”

“I don’t…”

“So you just like flirting with him?”

Anger was rising in me feeling insulted, I felt like punching him on the face then I remembered his illness. “I’m not flirting with him” I uttered lowering my voice, containing all my anger.

“If you say so” he uttered in annoyance. The speakers on the outside suddenly went on, the melody somehow managed to calm my nerves. He suddenly offered a hand which I looked in confusion. I looked at him in the eyes and he stood up, “Would you dance with me?”

This insulted me then he wants to dance? “Fine” I took his hands and he put my arms around his shoulder before he wrapped his arms on my waist pulling me close. My breath hitched for a second and I struggled not to tense up.

“Why are you so tense?” oh so he felt it, great.

“I’m not… used to” I was obviously trying not to meet his eyes but he tilted his head to meet my gaze, “you look very pretty tonight” he uttered and I felt my stupid cheeks burned, “Just tonight?” I rolled my eyes and he smiled, “you always looked pretty”

From jerk to being sweet, I’ll literally get dizzy if this continues. “You’re good at this” I commented realizing how he dance. When we were little I would be the one to drag him to the dance floor and it takes time to convince him to finally move but now…

He made me slowly spin, show off. Then he pulled me back embracing me, leaning his head on my shoulder. I was frozen for a moment then I felt like I just melted towards him, embracing his warmth. I embraced him back; I should’ve done this when he needed me most. Sorry was at the tip of my tongue but I just kept quiet, I was afraid to move but I don’t know why. I want to protect him from the pain… I want him back, the real him, the old him.

He slowly pulled away and looked at me, “your flirt partner is here”

I turned and saw Hanbin approaching us. His jaw clenched and fist curled, this is bad. I approached him and put a hand on his chest, “Hanbin”

He stopped and exhaled eyes darting at Jungkook, “Don’t” I plead.

“Told you we’re busy” Jungkook uttered and I glared at him. Hanbin was fast to grab him by the collar and he only smirked.

“Hanbin, let’s just go” I held his arm tight, “please”

I finally get to breathe when he let go and moved back, “I thought I was given a chance” he turned to me with hurt in his eyes, I felt like I was stabbed in the chest, how much more him? He stormed to his car and I followed him as fast as I could. I entered the front seat before he could lock it. He didn’t even turn to me before he drove off.

 

 

My grip on the handle tightens every second in fear; Hanbin was driving so fast. “Hanbin” I called out seeing the red light but he didn’t stop, good thing the road was empty. Why the heck did I go with him? I am definitely reckless as what they say I am. “Slow down” It was like I was talking to the air. I looked at him, his jaw clenched and his grip on the stirring wheel was tight, I only bit my lip and couldn’t say another word. I could just closed my eyes and contain my fear.

After a few minutes I can feel that the car started to run slow and just as I opened my eyes, he stopped the car at the side of the street. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter