Chapter III

The Other Him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After hearing the bad news from the nurse who took care of my foot last night; I immediately called our department head when I woke up to let her know what happened and apologized that I couldn’t report to work for three days but she gave me a week rest, just great. I pleaded for four days but she said, my mom won’t allow it and we both know it’s true so I just agreed.

“What I’m supposed to do for a week?” I threw the phone aside, “Lucky you” Solbin suddenly reached for my hand and held it, “I’m really sorry for what happened. I should’ve looked out for him”

“It’s fine. I’m not going to lose my whole leg” I chuckled, assuring her.

“You sure you’ll be fine?”

“Of course but you know what will kill me…”

“Too much drama. I know, I know.” She raised her hand in surrender. “Why are you so uncomfortable being in hospitals? Were you admitted for something serious before?”

“No, I wasn’t. I guess it started that time when Jungkook was hospitalized when we were kids because of a flu; that’s all I can remember”

Solbin looked at me weirdly and I just shrugged.

 

We heard a knock on the door and saw Taehyung standing at the door step, “Come in”

“You know what I’ll go ahead” Solbin looked at his watch, “I’ll be late. I’ll come by later”

We both bid her goodbye and Tae sat at the seat across mine, “I’m really sorry for what happened”

“Taehyung” I sighed, “It’s not your fault. Were you able to stop him?”

“Yes. He went back to our room. I’m really sorry, I should be there at that moment”

“You can’t do everything, guard him 24/7, and it’s not like you’re looking after a kid. Jungkook’s—“

“Jungkook is going through something right now” he interrupted and I can see the hesitation in his eyes, “I understand. I’m fine for the hundredth time” I laughed.

“If you need anything…” his eyes were full of guilt and hesitation as he looked at me.

“Would you stop that?” It’s getting annoying that he is making it a big deal but Taehyung is just so kind I can’t lose my patience.

“What?” he asked surprised.

“That” I pointed on his face, “looking at me with that expression”

He was absolutely taken aback which made me smile, “What happened, happened. It’s not like I’m dying so chill”

Taehyung forced a small smile, “there. Why you’re still here? Dressed like that” he was still wearing his pajamas. “I demanded a day off”

“Why?”

“Well, obviously you need me here”

I suddenly felt embarrassed, “I’m fine. I can handle”

“Well at least I can make it easy for you, right?”

I agreed, it’s not like I’m ignorant to that fact.

 

Aunt Mei isn’t here. Dad grants her a month of vacation every year; she deserves it after being with us since I was a kid. Aunt Mei was the one taking care of me when I ws a kid and our house; she’s like my second mother. I looked at my ankle that was wrapped by a bandage and prevented myself to sigh.

 

My brows furrowed remembering how Jungkook pushed me aside and the look he was wearing when he was facing Hanbin. He looked the same as the first time I saw him, a total opposite of how he looked that afternoon. I stopped thinking about it before my head hurt as well…

“Jungkook’s lucky he has you”

“And you’re lucky you have you”

“Was that a joke?” I mocked.

“Not completely. You’ve been really independent as an only child”

He suddenly looked serious which bothered me, “The thing is…” he looked at me, “I didn’t expect it’ll go this far” he looked at my foot. “Jungkook had it tough when mom passed away then he met this girl in Japan… she was always there for him, cared for him and helped him move forward. He loved her and I thought she did too but he caught her with another man. I know it’s not an excuse for his behavior but I hope you’ll forgive him” he uttered in deep sincerity and I reached for his hand and smiled, “We both know he didn’t mean it. He was drunk, I think.”

The door suddenly opened and Jungkook entered. I was startled and then confused why he paused midway. I followed his gaze and he was looking at my hand holding Taehyung’s which I instantly pulled back, “Am I interrupting something?” he asked while I fought the urge to explain for possible misunderstanding.

“Where are your manners?” Taehyung scolded him. “Sorry. I’m not used to in our house…” he explained, “anyway hyung” he handed Taehyung’s phone, “it kept on ringing. Might be really important”

“Thanks. Excuse me” he went out and answered it while I stared at Jungkook. He looked like he had a good rest, no hang over? “Sorry about that. I did interrupt something did I?”

“No” I replied instantly. His gaze transferred to my foot, “What happened? Did you trip?” he asked and I rolled my eyes, “you probably don’t remember”

He looked at me with those complete clueless eyes. I was amazed. Just what did he drink last night that he couldn’t remember? He wasn’t even wasted. “Don’t mind it” I reached for my glass of water and drank from it. “Do you like my brother?” he asked and I choked. He reached and rubbed my back which gave me a weird feeling when I recovered so I moved away a bit and he stopped immediately. “Well just to warn you. He’s only serious with work”

“I don’t like Taehyung just to be clear and you’re being chatty. What’s up with you?” I glared at him. Not to mention he seems to be energetic right now, he always seemed so lethargic.

Taehyung entered the room again and he instantly went out, “you guys can continue” Jungkook uttered with a mischievous look and closed the door behind him. I felt like I was in a different world all of a sudden. He somehow freaks me out when he isn’t being rude which is weird. “Is he always that moody?”

Taehyung just smiled awkwardly.

“Go to work” I glared at him and he just scratched the back of his head. I still have trouble imagining him as CEO of their company sometimes.

 

 

Solbin came back when evening came, “This week will bore me without you there”

“I’ll be glad if you’d join me here”

“No, not gonna happen” she laughed. We both know she’ll say goodbye to our internship if she does that. “How’s your crazy cousin?” I asked and she shrugged, “dealing with hangover as usual”

“Is he always a problem kid?”

“He was a good boy when we were little”

“So what happened?”

“You” she grinned and I glared at her, “Wow. I made him like that. Really?”

“Kidding. His parent’s divorce maybe” she rolled her eyes.

 

Solbin had to go while I was stuck in my room; just thinking about the next day made me frown. I looked at my foot and winced when I moved it a little; come to think of it, it was my first injury.

 

 

I suddenly received a message from Hanbin saying he’s going to visit tomorrow. I felt a huge lump on my throat in nervousness. What if they’ll see each other again and fight? Maybe this time I’ll injure my arm. Those two will definitely make me crippled. How did I end up in this situation? Before they happened I was living fine, wasn’t I?

My foot doesn’t hurt as much as yesterday but I still can’t put force in it. I heard footsteps outside my room then a knock on my door. “Come in” I was greeted by an apologetic smile, “I’m sorry I wasn’t able to visit yesterday” Hanbin put the flowers he brought on my bedside table.

“I brought these” he took out some DVDs, “Solbin said you’re bored”

“That’s great.  Thanks” I flinched and grabbed his shoulders when he suddenly slipped his arm around my waist and the other around my legs, “What are you doing?”

“I’ll carry you downstairs” Hanbin uttered and lifted me. I hold unto him tight, “You don’t have to”

“What? I like it. I finally get to carry you” he smiled cheekily, “this is taking advantage” I muttered and he laughed as he carried me downstairs, “you’re very light” he slowly put me down on the sofa, “What do you want to watch first?” he asked.

“Anything but romance” I replied and he smirked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter