I’ll Protect You (私があなたを守ります)

So Thank You

Her steps are heavy. Her breaths too. No wonder.. She has been running, sprinting all the way from the convenient store that located a few blocks away from her dorm up to here. And her eyes are throwing daggers at everyone that stand in her way. To be fair, they did nothing wrong. But she just loathes everyone in general right now. 

 

Almost there, she thought.

 

With a big final step, she reached the door and opened it with too much force than needed. 

 

“Momo! Thank God you’re finally here.” The oldest exclaimed in relief. Beside her, there’s their leader who looks rather helpless (she rarely show this side of her to her member. So if they got to witness it, it means something is really concerning her at the moment.) with worries written all over her face.

 

While there’s another girl, her roommate, standing at a rather far corner of their living room, silently watching over them. She also looks not so happy.

 

“Where is she?” Momo asked to the oldest. 

 

“In her room. Mina is there with her. We don—-“ Momo doesn’t let her finish her words as she’s dashing toward the room on her left. 

 

As soon as she opens the room, she sees how the blonde is quietly sobbing inside the black haired girl’s embrace. 

 

“Momoring.” The black haired is the first among the two to realize the new presence in the room. 

 

“Hi. Thank you for taking care of her, Minari. I’ll take care of the rest from here. You should take your rest too.” Momo calmly said as she’s approaching the two. 

 

Just like Jihyo who rarely show her weak-helpless side to her member, it’s also a rare sight to see Momo sounds so authoritative like this. Even though she’s the oldest in J-line, Mina acted more mature and composed than the older two Japanese girls most of the times. So naturally the trio treat each other like same age friends despite their . 

 

Mina glances at Sana who’s silently pleading at her to not leave. It’s not that Sana is scared of Momo. It’s more like she feels so ashamed of herself up to the point she can't face anyone right now because of that.

And she doesn’t know what to say to Momo after Mina leave. And most of all, she does not want Momo to see her when she’s being a mess like this. Not that Momo never saw it. Of course Momo ever saw her when Sana was at her lowest, but still, she wished Momo would never see her in that state again. 

 

Mina is hesitating. 

 

“But—“

 

“It’s okay, Mina-yah.” Momo curved a small smile, trying to reassured her. 

 

Both Mina and Sana can see how fake that smile is. But deep down inside, Mina understand very well that if Sana needs someone to be there for her at time like now, of course the 8 of them will be there for her. But it’s Momo who can provide the comfort that Sana needs.

 

She knows how much Sana and Momo means for each other. How much they cherish each other. No, she doesn’t feel jealous of that special bond that the two shared. She knows very well, both of her Japanese bandmates love her and treat her like their own sister. But the bond shared between the two is too special to be share with anyone else who is not Minatozaki Sana and Hirai Momo. She understands that very well. 

 

“Fine. I’ll go to maknaes’ room. I bet they’re worrying Sana too but too scared to ask. They deserve an explanation too.” Mina finally decided as she inwardly apologizing to Sana. 

 

Momo smiles again. This time it’s indeed a genuine one. As expected from Mina. She's always been the considerate one. 

 

“Thank you, Minari.” Momo lovingly caressed Mina’s hair and watched her leave the room. 

 

Now it’s just her and Sana. 

 

Sana is still hardly avoiding her eyes. Momo knows that. 

 

“Why?” Momo finally breaks the suffocating silence. 

 

“What?” Sana’s voice is cracking. She looks up and meet Momo's eyes.

Wrong move, she thought. Looking into Momo’s sad eyes only pain her even more. She herself is in pain. But seeing Momo also being in pain because of her, hurts her to the core. Hurting Momo is the last thing she would ever want to do. 

 

“Why you did that??” Momo accidentally raised her voice out of frustration and anger. 

 

“I’m sorry.. I know i’m such an idiot for not thinking further. I—“

 

“WHY YOU DID NOT ANSWER YOUR PHONE? I CALLED YOU 11 TIMES AND YOU ANSWER NONE. DO YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED I AM HUH?”

 

“Oh.” That’s all Sana could utter in her small voice.

 

She thought Momo was asking her for an explanation of her stupid doing. She thought Momo is angry at her for being such an idiot and causing this big ruckus in the beginning of their come back. What a good timing right?

 

But no. Turned out Momo is mad at her because Sana didn’t answer her call. 

 

“And why..?” This time Momo’s voice is softer.

“Why you’re crying so much? Look at your eyes.” Momo bend down to be in the same level of Sana's sad eyes, as if they're mimicking hers.

So she tried to smile, because she knows Sana will feels even sadder if she sees Momo sad because of her. But the more they look deeply into each other's eyes, the more teary their eyes become. As if they're sharing and feeling the same pain.

"And now you're crying again. Stop crying, you silly. You look so ugly when you cry." Momo lightly knocking Sana's head before she open her palms to softly cupping Sana’s face in her small hands and caressing Sana’s cheeks, wiping away her tears. Sana’s eyes fluttered close at the contact. 

 

“Pabo.. how can you face Once with these swollen eyes? You still have stages to perform tomorrow with me. With us.”

 

“Momo.” Sana forcefully pried Momo’s hands away from her face and pulled the older girl into a tight hug, and instantly feel better.

Feeling Momo's warmth, inhaling her familiar sweet scent, being in the older girl's protective embrace, will always give her a sense of security. Sense of comfort.  Something that only Momo could provide.

 

“I’m so sorry. I know i’m really an idiot. But i never meant to caused this. I never meant to hurt anyone. I— i was just trying to communicate with our Japanese fans who— who’s also from our era, you know. I just thought they must be feeling a similar feeling to what i feel. That’s all! I didn’t mean anything bad, i swear! I—“

 

“Sshhh." Momo tightens the hug to calm the rambling girl down. "I know, Sana-yah. I know.” 

 

“Please believe me, Momo-yah. I never meant it.” Sana painfully whispered. 

 

“I do. Of course i believe you. And our members too. Our fans too.”

 

“Momoring.. what do i do now? They are all now hate me.”

 

Momo released the hug and leaned back a bit to look at Sana. “Who?”

 

“So many people out there. Haven't you see those articles and comments? They misunderstand me.” Sana sadly pouted.

 

“Well.. Even before this incident, there’s many people out there who hate you. Who hate me. Who hate Twice. So what’s new? What’s so surprising now?” Momo said in a matter of factly. 

 

“Eh? Well, t-that’s true bu—“

 

“No. No buts. If it’s true then it’s true. What else to argue. I’m stating a fact here, Minatozaki Sana. So don’t flatter yourself by thinking you’re the one who’s making those people hate us. Cause the answer is a firm no. Don't be so greedy and take all the credits for yourself.” Momo playfully waved her forefinger in front of Sana and shook her head in disapproval.

 

"Yaaaahhh~ You know that's not what i mean." Sana whined loudly while Momo just happily laughing.

 

“Stop teasing me! Because i’m still scared, Momo-yah.”

 

“I’ll protect you.”

 

“I know you will.”

 

“And you’re still afraid? Whoa. Neomuhada.. Ck. What you’re taking me for? You think i can’t protect you?” Momo faked a hurt expression.

 

“No! It’s not that. Haish. Ah dapdaphae!” Feeling frustrated Sana could only rack her hair. While Momo just secretly hide her smile. Slowly Sana seems to be back to her normal self again.

 

“Yah, i said i will protect you." Momo grabs Sana both hands and gently pinned them down to stop her from ruining her beautiful hair even more.  "Momoring ga Sattang o mamorimasu. Yakusoku suru yo.*" Momo repeated, clearer, firmer this time to show how serious she is, in the language that both of them understand the best.

(*Momoring will protect Sattang. Promise. in Japanese)

 

"Momoring.." Sana's lips start to tremble as she's trying her best to not burst into tears. In the end she failed though. She's wailing loudly inside Momo's embrace while the older girl only keep patting the crybaby's back to calm her down.

 

Sana can feel the sincerity in Momo's words. The look in her eyes as she said those words to Sana, Sana knows Momo is not joking around. It's not an empty promise. She knows Momo meant each and every word she said. 

 

"What did i do to deserve an angel like you in my life, Momo-yah?" Sana inwardly thought to herself.

 

"The other girls would too. You have us with you. Whatever it is, we'll face it together. So you shall fear nothing, you silly squirrel. You hear me?" Sana violently nodding her head against Momo's shoulder, still hiccuping a bit. Momo just chuckled at that. She found it cute. Everything that Sana does is cute in her eyes.

 

"Thank you, Momo-yah." Sana gratefully whispered into the older girl's ear. 

 

"Haik! Anytime, Minatozaki-chan~~" Momo said with her killer infamous aegyo voice, making Sana to playfully shoved her away as she laughs.

 

"Finally, i can hear your laughter again." Momo inwardly thought as she looks at the smiling Sana in front of her.

 

The two girls lied down on Sana's bed. Both feeling exhausted with the roller coaster ride of emotions they had today.

At some point, both girls fell asleep with Momo spooning Sana from behind, and their legs entangled with one and another. But a sudden loud ringing voice wake the two up from their napping time.

 

"Turn it off." Sana whined as she buried her face in the crook of Momo's neck.

 

Momo groggily search for the loudly ringing device. Turned out it's Sana's phone.

“Hey Sana-ya. Wake up. It’s your mama calling." Momo softly shook Sana's shoulder.

 

"Mama?" Sana opened one of her eyes to check the caller ID flashed on her phone screen. It's indeed showing her mother's ID.

 

"Yes. Your mama. I bet she heard the news and worrying you so much. Pick it up and reassure her, okay? And say my hi to mama Minatozaki.” Momo starts to get up from bed. But before she can even fully stand on her feet, suddenly a hand grab her left one and hold it, preventing her from going any further. 

 

“Where are you going?” Sana asked and intertwined their hands.

 

“Back to my room? I’m giving you a privacy, hoam~” Momo sleepily yawned.

 

“What privacy? We don’t give each other such thing since long time ago. Stay here. And accompany me. And that’s an order.” With a strong pull, Sana makes Momo fall back on to her bed. Soon enough, Momo found herself being possesively hug by the squirrel again.

 

Momo groaned. “Are you asking me a favor or are you bossing me around? Because it sounds like the latter.” Momo protested but still kindly let Sana to comfortably hug her without putting up any fight.

 

"You can think of it as anything you want. Just stay here with me. Okay, Momo-chan?"

 

"Well.. Even if i want to, i can't really go anywhere with you're hugging me so suffocatingly tight like this. Duh!"

 

Sana giggled. "Good girl. I always know Momo-chan is a good kid." 

 

Seeing you talking back to me and ordering me around like this strangely give me a sense of relief.

"Hmph. Whatever. Now go call your mother and talk to her." Sana flashed her brightest smile and nodded.

 

"Mama.." Sana called out with her child-alike voice once the lines got connected.

 

"Sorry i missed your call." Sana reached for Momo's hand and Momo let her to play with it.

 

"Yeah, i'm sorry for worrying you." Using her another free hand, Sana signaling Momo to turn around and again Momo just obediently comply.

Turned out Sana asked her to do that so she can spooning the older girl.

 

"Nah, i'm fine now. Really. It's just a misunderstanding that will die down eventually." Sana buried her nose in Momo's hair before she kissed it. Momo tried her best to control her rapid heartbeat.

 

"I'll be fine. Don't worry. Because i got the best guardian angel anyone could ask for." Sana's voice is so soft and low, almost dreamy-like as she said that. It somewhat sending shivers down to Momo's spine.

Sana is being too close right now. Momo almost could hear how loud her heart is beating right now. And maybe Momo is deluding herself, but she swears she can feels Sana's heart beating so fast against her back. Almost in the same irregular rapid rhythm as hers. 

 

"Hahaha how do you know, mama?" Sana shyly asked. Momo wonders what Mrs. Minatozaki just asked to her daughter.

 

"Yeah, i'm glad too." Sana chuckled. "As long as she's with me, i'll be alright. She's all i need to carry on." Out of sudden Sana untangled herself from Momo, detaching herself away. Momo lowly groaned, feeling unhappy with the sudden missing of Sana's warmth.

 

She turned her body around to utter her protest to Sana. But whatever protest she had on the tip of her tongue has to be swallowed back down once she sees the look Sana has for her right now.

 

Sana looks at her with so much love and adoration in her eyes. As if Momo is the most beautiful thing the younger's eyes ever landed on. It's just too overwhelming for Momo but she seems reluctant to break the eye contact.

 

Momo wanted to ask why. And lucky for her, she got her answer almost immediately even before she vocally asked it to Sana.

 

Because Sana without any warning, suddenly leaned down and give a sweet lingering kiss that lasted for 3 seconds on her lips before she quickly leaned back up and give a goofy smile to the still in a daze raccoon.

 

"Yeah, Momo is all i need."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#StayStrongSana

#WeLoveYouSana