PART 6

Green Tea

 

 

A few weeks later  

 

“We need morphine stat!” Baekhyun orders the bluebirds around him, before fleeing off to the reception desk.

 

“Kyungsoo, we need your help out here, apparently there was a bomb blast near the front lines more than 50 soldiers are expected to be injured.”

 

The doctor, quickly walked over to the patients, listening to what his head nurse had to say about triaging. In the midst of the chaos, Kyungsoo noticed Baekhyun perspiring, his breathing getting quicker by the minute.

 

“Don’t worry, I’m sure he’s fine,” Kyungsoo assures him.

 

“I know, but I’m just...worried,” Baekhyun pushes his slightly wet hair back to relieve himself of the pressure.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened as he noticed the bluebird’s yellowish skin and groggy state.

 

“Baekhyun, I think you need to sit down-” the doctor lunges to grab his limp body that had would have almost crashed into the ground.

 

Baekhyun can only hear Kyungsoo’s far away voice telling him that everything was going to be alright until he crept into the darkness.

 

He woke up in a cold sweat wearing a blue hospital gown. He saw Kyungsoo out of the corner of his eye, looking at him tediously.

 

“What happened?” Baekhyun cracked, throat dry for some reason.

 

“You were exhausted...why didn’t you tell me you had been vomiting for the past few weeks?” Kyungsoo taps his foot restlessly.

 

“I-I didn’t want to be a bother.” Baekhyun looks away. “Besides, help was needed especially these past few weeks I didn’t want to-

 

“What good would that do you? What good would that be for your child?” Kyungsoo sputters.

 

Baekhyun freezes, his mouth slightly agape from shock, “My-my...what?”

 

“You’re pregnant Byun Baekhyun.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 

All-day Baekhyun was forced to lay in the hospital bed. He touched and circled his stomach several times as to come to terms with the shock that he felt. He could not believe it. He was to bear a child. In what 7 months? And it was the child of none other than the man he deeply loved. One he wasn’t sure would live to see his own child.

            Baekhyun relished at the thought of taking care of the child, making sure it was far away from the war, far away from this hell. He wanted nothing more than to give his child more than anything he had ever gotten out of life. 

             There was a setback. He couldn't help but think that the child would grow up without two parents. Chanyeol would not be here to witness the birth of his child. He would not be there to see his face.

              Baekhyun immediately began to cry. He silently let tears roll down his cheeks. Is this what pregnancy felt like? Defeat? Depression? He was so sure people would be happy for the miracle of life. He could only feel sorrow knowing the future of this child. 

                 He had never thought a few days before turning eighteen he would be bearing a child while helping the war effort simultaneously.

               Baekhyun oh so deeply wanted to get drunk. Drown in alcohol until he could pass out, but now he had another responsibility. He glanced at his stomach once more, noticing slight bloat.

            Kyungsoo came to stand beside him then, patting his shoulder to comfort him.  

 

               "I know everything seems impossible, but let's do the best for…"

     

 

                "I haven't named them yet," Baekhyun chuckles a cry, he wipes a tear.

 

                Kyungsoo nods knowingly. He knows Baekhyun is one of the most positive optimistic people he knows. Still, news like this could rattle anyone.

                 "I have good news." He sits at the foot of Baekhyun's bed.

 

                To which the bluebird perks up. 

 

                "They say….since winter is coming. And Christmas is close...that the war may come to an end soon." 

 

 

                Baekhyun snorts, shaking his head in dismay, "Oh please, the only reason the other side would ever go through with that is to save their asses from the bitter cold."

 

                Kyungsoo could immediately read Baekhyun's expression. Under all of his pessimism was a slight glimmer of hope in his glassy eyes.

 

              "I also…have a letter-" he pulls out from his lab coat pocket.

 

               Baekhyun immediately snatches it from him, fumbling it open his chest heaving up and down after observing the red wax along with the envelope. 

 

      

             Dearest Baekhyun,

 

        A letter is not particularly anything special, but any form of contact with you makes me feel closer. I'm still up in the front lines, trying my best to stay alive. 

         Most of my comrades have gone missing in action and I'm one of the few soldiers left out here. It's alright though, I've heard the news that the war may subside in a month or two. 

In fact, the colonel has informed me to pack up my things if anything calls. 

      My opinion? I think it's a ploy like anyone else. The enemies want to escape something, perhaps do something without us knowing. Of course, the general took the bait stupidly and will probably let us off in a month or two    

      I'm alright, don't worry. I've only sufficed slight injuries. I've thought about giving myself injuries perhaps to see you again in the infirmary, but I know that's selfish. 

       I can't help but wonder how you're feeling Baekhyun. 

 

      Write back, 

 

Yours truly, Park Chanyeol 


 

       Baekhyun sighs at the letter. He's used up all of his tears now to cry over a piece of paper. Somehow, knowing that he himself wasn't a child but carrying a child strengthened him.

        There was hope. Even if it was small.

 

 

----------------

 

                  Two months later 

 

           The past few months had been hard. Baekhyun suffered terrible symptoms to the point where could not walk around for more than ten minutes. He would often vomit and that would lead him to become Incredibly dehydrated. 

             Kyungsoo had taken this as a sign to lay him off from any heavy-duty work. 

 

          "You can't imprison me from doing work." Baekhyun snorts.

 

          "I knew you'd react like this so I decided to let you...be in the lab. Learn a thing or two about chemistry.' Kyungsoo can't meet his eyes. 

 

        Baekhyun's eyes widened. To anyone, it may have seemed lackluster of an offer but to the young eighteen-year-old it was a dream come true. He had always wanted to study, learn a thing or two about what he was applying. His parents had only given him a tutor for homeschooling until the age of 14. After that, he was left in the dark.

 

          "I'd like that very much," Baekhyun bit his bottom lip, trying not to squeal.


 

          The next few weeks Baekhyun would never forget. Learning so much about chemicals, pure elements, mixtures and such. He didn’t have the syntax to describe everything but, he tried his best to catch on to the scientific terms. It was an incredible phenomenon. Kyungsoo said there wasn't much that humans knew, but they knew enough. 

          He learned about different chemical reactions and their deadly products, specifically the one that Kyungsoo had been developing in private. Mustard gas, the military called it. It was a cruel and toxic substance. Its a reaction, Kyungsoo explained later would also lead them to cure particular diseases. 

            Baekhyun found a particular interest in chemistry, but he could not play with much as Kyungsoo was worried for the future child. 

Still, he was familiar with everything in Kyungsoo’s secret laboratory, where and why things were placed and the logic to the madness of science. 

 

 

          

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After a few weeks, he felt better from his pregnancy symptoms and decided to get back into work at the infirmary. 

 

        Baekhyun rubbed his tummy under the oversized nurse uniform. He looked around the infirmary noticing how quiet it had slowly become. 

Last month Baekhyun turned eighteen. He didn't think of celebrating only considered it an afterthought. He was more focused on his unborn child. 

 

         "They've been laid off won't you go and see him?" Kyungsoo came up from behind him.

 

          Baekhyun turned to smile at him, "I'm afraid…"

 

          "Of what he'll say?" Kyungsoo guesses. 

 

         Baekhyun shakes it, "I know he won't say it but he will think it. I can still read his face." 

 

            "I think he will be happy," Kyungsoo tells him

 

            "What makes you think that?" Baekhyun sighs 

 

              "Having to take care of children isn't foreign to him. Perhaps this could...satisfy him over his loss of his sister."

      

              Baekhyun's eyes widen at the thought. It was logical. Maybe this is what Chanyeol had always wanted. To start a family with him. One he so dearly lost.

 

           "Now off you go!" Kyungsoo slightly moves his shoulders forward.

 

             "Wait- where will you be?"

 

             "In my office, if you need me, don't worry Baekhyun everything's going to be alright.'


 

             Over the past few months, Baekhyun had become dependant on Kyungsoo reassurance. He had changed since before. Now he was optimistic about the war. They had taken opposite sides now. 

   

             Baekhyun limped out of the infirmary, tensing up his shoulders as he walked in the direction of the weapon factory. 

 

          He could see his body leaning against the brick wall near the back door of Chen's office. Baekhyun pursed his lips and exhaled slowly retracting his hand from his stomach to avoid attention drawn towards it. 

From what he could make out, the solider looked a little worn out. He was wearing olive green cargo pants and a black chemise. His face was cleanly shaven and his hair was just cut. His body was leaner than before despite not having proper meals or rest. 

 

        Chanyeol immediately brighter at the sight of his lover, swooping Baekhyun in his arms and embracing him.

 

        "I've missed you," Chanyeol whispers in his ear. 

 

        Baekhyun did not speak a word because he was too choked up from seeing the man he loved after so long. 

 

       Baekhyun held back tears, pulling away from his Chanyeol and then bringing him down for a chaste kiss. 

 

        "Has Kyungsoo been taking care of you?"

 

        Baekhyun rolled his eyes, "Of course, we are friends. Besides, I don't need a babysitter everywhere I go."

 

         "I know I just…I know you aren't a child anymore."

 

          Baekhyun stills at the word child, knowing full well it had a completely different meaning now. He wasn't sure when he was to tell his lover but he knew he needed to some time. 

 

         "Come let's go see Kyungsoo, " Baekhyun pulls the taller’s sleeve. 

 

          Chanyeol chuckled deeply, his voice going deeper, "Really? I thought we could…" he trails his lips along Baekhyun neck making him shiver.

     

          But Baekhyun knows if they do anything promiscuous Chanyeol would see his stomach which he did not want right now.

          "We can do that...later," Baekhyun grabs his hand leading him back to the infirmary. 

------------------------

          They make their way along the small pathway that leads them to the infirmary. Outside, there were a few patients who were gathering their belongings and heading into a vehicle. They had bright smiles as they waved towards Baekhyun and Chanyeol. 

Finally, they would see their families again, after a long two-year war. 

 

    

            "I don't have any family left besides you,"

 

            Baekhyun's ears perked up at the words, he looked at his stern expression realizing that his cousin must have also passed away in the front lines as well.

  

            "I'm sorry," Baekhyun knows it won't help anything he presumes the taller man had gotten numb to the pain of loss.

 

              The walk towards the back of the infirmary where Kyungsoo's office resides. Baekhyun had memorized the lock he has on it but surprisingly he sees the door is left slightly ajar. The office was laboratory and although not many people were here Kyungsoo was cautious to leave it closed at all times. It held important information about his biochemical weapons.

 

          "That's odd," Baekhyun can hear a voice coming from the laboratory. It sounds authoritative, almost dangerous. 

 

          Chanyeol stills, grabbing Baekhyun harshly to the side but gently enough so that he holds his belly in place.

 

          "Someone's there." He whispers.

 

          They inch closer to the opened door, and the sight shocks them. 

 

         There was one man who was wearing military attire holding a large rifle on his right. He had another pistol directly pointing at Kyungsoo who looked terrified and yet calm. 

 

        Baekhyun wants to scream and yell but he stops himself when he hears the soldier speak. He doesn't understand him though, it a different language. 

 

          "It's the enemy. The northerners" Chanyeol, "this is exactly what I warned the sergeant about. They were not surrendering they were looking for an opening." 

 

       "Someone's here!" A loud voice booms.

 

        Suddenly, they both hear the sound of boots March over to where they were holding large guns. 

       There were a total of three. They had flags on the right pocket of their shirts that Baekhyun could not recognize. The two that were outside harshly grabbed Baekhyun and Chanyeol by the arms and lured them into the laboratory. 

   

         They met Kyungsoo eyes, who kept glancing over to his materials, test tubes that were sprawled all over the place. Of course, this is what they wanted all along. To get Intel on their weaponry. Their number one biochemist and all his secrets.

 

        "Let him go!" Baekhyun hisses, struggling against the soldier who was holding him.

 

         "Kill him," the man who held a pistol to Kyungsoo head briefly pointed at Baekhyun.

 

         Chabyeol and Kyungsoo both simultaneously yelled at once, "No!" 


 

         Baekhyun closed his eyes, covering his stomach instinctively, letting the fabric push against his skin. Anyone could see his pregnant stomach now. It was a slight bump, but definitely noticeable. 

          Chabyeol eyes widened at the sight. 

 

         "Shoot me! Just shoot me!" Chanyeol growls in anger. 

 

           Baekhyun looked at his lover in confusion, noticing his sweaty face and fidgeting fingers.

 

        All of sudden, Chanyeol lunged at the soldier behind him, hitting him in the back of the head fast enough that the other soldier holding Baekhyun briefly let go of him.

        The nurse took this as an opportunity to reach for a test tube on the ground and throw it in the soldier's eyes. It was most likely hydrochloric acid. 

         Now that both of the enemies were lying sprawled on the ground, the other soldier was left alone.

      He cursed something under breath before he remained his gun pointed at Kyungsoo head, "if you move, I'll kill him," 

 

        Baekhyun clenched his jaw, but Chanyeol holds him back. He stares at him for what felt like a minute but was realistically a second. 

At that moment, Baekhyun understood. Knew exactly what his lover's eyes were telling him.

 

          I won't let anything happen to you or that child inside you. 

 

   --------------------------------------

          

         Chanyeol knows Baekhyun won't listen to him so he stands in front of him, protecting him from the pistol the enemy holds.

He glances briefly at Baekhyun’s stomach, before turning back to the man who was pointing a gun at Doctor Kyungsoo.

The physician was strangely calm. He didn’t show any form of fear or nervousness. Just pure strength. 

 

“Let them go, I’ll show you where I keep-”

 

“No Kyungsoo!” Baekhyun refuses, trying to drive past Chanyeol who is holding his arms out to block him from making a move. 

 

“I said if you move I” LL SHOOT!” The enemy nears his finger to the trigger of his pistol. 

 

“Fine! We’ll do what you want.” Chanyeol attempts calmly.

 

“Show me where you keep it!" The soldier yelled into Kyungsoo ear while nearing the gun closer to his forehead.

 

          Baekhyun didn't understand at first, but looking into Kyungsoo straight in the eyes he immediately understands. The enemy wanted mustard gas. They want the recipe that intelligence agencies so badly wanted to acquire because they themselves couldn’t solve its chemical mystery. 

 

“I’ll- I will get it for you,” Baekhyun speaks up, he confidently rushes to a vault under the lab cupboard. 

 

“Hurry!” the man with the gun shouts, making Baekhyun flinch.

 

He could feel Chanyeol’s tense presence behind him. He was frozen in one spot, trusting Baekhyun fully in whatever was going to happen. 

 

The room was quiet, there was only the faint sound of the rumbling engine of that same soldier who had just left the infirmary. 

 

Baekhyun pulled out an almost microscopic vile. It had visibly nothing inside but, it held much power. On the slide neatly written with an ink pen read C4H8Cl2S. The enemy immediately widened his eyes. 

The man kept his gun on Kyungsoo’s head while advancing forward to retrieve the vile. As he did so, he let out an expression that Baekhyun could never forget.

 

He held a type of expression Baekhyun had once seen his mother show. It was evil. Pure insanity and cruelty. Somehow satan could take human form as he showed a sly grin.

 

In one moment he released the trigger on his gun.

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

Baekhyun immediately shrieked in horror. He bent down, hysterical, using his arms to collect the blood that was falling out of his friends’ skull.

The man who was just shot Kyungsoo had fled. But, before he could make it far, Chanyeol had taken a rifle and shot him down. Perhaps in revenge or maybe duty. He wanted badly to torture the man's dead body but, he felt obliged to collect Baekhyun who was in a state of shock. 

 

“W-wait! Chanyeol wait! I need to- CPR! I need-” Baekhyun yelled, his blood arms limply pushing against Kyungsoo’s lifeless breath.

 

Chanyeol bit down on his quivering lip so hard it bled. He punched the cement floor, his blood blending in with the pool that was already forming.

 

“Baekhyun stop.” He said quietly, his voice drowning in the screams of the nurse.

 

“I just need to-n-need to do more chest compressions-!” Baekhyun used what little strength he had in himself to use his elbows to give Kyungsoo treatment. 

 

        Nothing could prepare Baekhyun for this scene. He was so sure that he was strong and the infirmary had made him a knight in armor that no one could knockdown. He had thought he had seen it all. Truly, he did not. 

 

          Chanyeol decided to lift Baekhyun's body on his own because the man felt numb. He couldn't understand what was happening, and why it had to happen to him. 

   

   

         Baekhyun closed his eyes, remembering Kyungsoo stubborn yet, calculated face. The first time they met the physician was hardly amicable. Slowly, he began to open up. He told Baekhyun about his family, his father, and his mother. He said he still loved them though he never spoke to them. Kyungsoo was a good man. He deserved life. No matter how cruel life was to him.