intro.

the art of love letters

  They had a plan. They had spent days, weeks, planning and getting everything ready. They were getting so close to their goal. They organized bake sales, car wash and even a love letter event in honor of the Valentine’s Day coming up.

  Except for the fact that while the bake sale and car wash can be considered somewhat a success, the love letter event is not. Despite the event hadn’t even started, the lack of willing participants made the future seem gray. As the person in charge of such event, Yuqi, feels somewhat responsible for this failure.

  It was her idea that instead of a kissing booth or a date auction, they could hold a love letter event. Something that was similar to the secret santa concept except for the fact that at the end of each letter, the sender will ask the recipient if they were willing to be their valentine. The girls had thought that was a sweet idea and people just love grand gestures these days.

  But when they tried to get people to actually send some love letters, practically no one did. Some claimed they were too embarrassed to pull off such a grand gesture while others couldn’t be bothered to write out a love letter. There were a few who sent letters in, only to ask for them back when they find out the person they liked was seeing someone else.

  Now there’s only a few weeks left, and Yuqi could not find anyone who was willing to participate.

  To make things worse, their group advisor has called Yuqi to see him after class. The whole way, the Chinese girl tried to think of reasons as to why the event was a failure and how to explain the fact that this is none of their faults, and simply a bump in their fundraising. They could easily switch to a date auction on Valentine’s Day itself. The girls had talked about it, and it is possible.

  Nervous, Yuqi pat down her hair, hoping that her curls weren’t being unruly in front of the teacher.

  When she arrived at the teacher’s cubicle, she could see a familiar head of brown talking to the group’s advisor. She could tell by the look on his face, the student is not thrilled with whatever the older man was saying. Yuqi wondered whether she should say something or simply wait. The waiting seemed more appealing than interrupting whatever it was going on.

  But then, the group advisor, Mr. Kim, saw her and waved for her to come in. She walked in quietly and bowed to the older man.

  “Lucas, this is Yuqi,” Mr. Kim started. Yuqi glanced at the other student, and instantly recognized him as one of the popular guys in the class next to hers. But there was no sign of his usual friendly face, only a look of boredom and annoyance at the sight of her.

  Yuqi wondered what his problem was.

  “Yuqi, I heard you and your friends are having a little trouble with your love letter event,” Mr. Kim said. Yuqi opened to explain, but then he continued, “I have an idea that may help.”

  “Lucas here,” he gestured towards the boy. “Was caught vandalizing one of the Mrs. Choi’s car.”

  Lucas scoffed at the statement muttering something about innocent until proven guilty.

  “Of course, we know, Lucas didn’t do it himself,” Mr. Kim continued as if he never interrupted. “But he refused to name any of his coconspirators. Usually situations like this would lead to suspension but I think some time helping out with the fundraiser might give him some perspective.”

  “Now, Yuqi, when do these events usually take place?”

  Yuqi gulped when the spotlight was suddenly on her, “Well, the main event will be set on Valentine’s Day which is when we’ll send out the letters. But we’re still trying to get people to participate.”

  “How?”

  “Well, we have fliers posted around about the fundraiser, and we recognize the students who are dating and get them to write letters or convince them to buy chocolates or little gifts. Of course, this event is open to everyone and not just limited to couples,” Yuqi said, hastily adding the end when she sees the look on the advisor’s face.

  “And how many people have joined?”

  “Three,” she blurted out.

  “That’s great,” Mr. Kim said, beaming at her. “You’re more than halfway there.”

  “We are?”

   “Well, the campus has a policy any event with less than ten participants have to be scraped,” the advisor told her. "Since the event involve pairs, you only need five people to send in love letters to fulfill the minimum requirement.”

  Yuqi could only nod, numbly. She had never heard of this rule and the fact that they have no participant plus that she lied about it to their advisor. Things are not looking good.

  “Now, I understand you have your group meet after school hours like most clubs,” Mr. Kim said. “Lucas, I expect you to join their meetings until the fundraiser is over.”

  “Wait, I have dance practice every Wednesday and Friday,” Lucas argued.

  “Dance practice will have to wait,” Mr. Kim said, countering his glare with a stern look. “Think of it as part of your punishment. You can go now.”

  Yuqi glanced at Lucas, wondering if he was going to put up a fight. But he just sighed, and walked out. Yuqi turned back to Mr. Kim who shook his head before turning to her. She quickly bowed to him, and left.

  She shut the door behind her, with a heavy sigh. What is she going to do now?